PDA

View Full Version : Single Action PM4043N

pyungshin
08-09-2016, 06:49 PM
Hello All,

I figured I'd ask a question of the forum before contacting Kahr and spending more hard earned $ on shipping my PM40 back to them for service. I'm not sure, but I think a FFL is required for return service shipping, correct? If so, more $. I have already perused through this wonderful forum looking for answers.

Some background. The PM40 is the second handgun I ever owned. The first, a M&P Bodyguard, was traded with $ for it soon after I purchased the M&P. My only experience with firearms was in the military (M16, S&W38, then Baretta M9) a long time ago, so please forgive any incorrect terminology.

I was told the firearm was new when purchased and have no reason to doubt it was the case. I have put approximately 800 rounds threw it to date over the course of about a year. The first 200 break-in rounds were Wally-world Winchester white box brass, Federal brass, and Magtech "blue box" brass. I do not recall any Fail-to-Feed (FTF) issues during the break-in period.

I also tried the cheapo aluminum RU TulAmmo, IT Perfecto, and Federal (aluminum) ammo with negative results. Lots of jams requiring violent movement of the slide to eject the unspent shells and multiple FTF experiences. I have since learned on this forum that Kahr does not recommend aluminum shells, so I stopped after one 50 round box of each.

I'm assuming my use of the term FTF is correct. I chamber a round per Kahr's recommendation: Set the slide back, insert the magazine, and release the slide. I can fire the first round I chambered, but the second will not fire. I pull the slide back, ejecting the unspent round, a "new" round is thusly chambered and can be fired, but the next round will not. Repeat repeat repeat. Of note when the last round is eventually fired the slide does NOT stay "open". Everytime.

The last time at the range I used brass Winchester white box, brass Magtech blue box, Hornady (brass) defense, and Blue Dot defense and was unable to fire a second round, Manually ejecting the unspent round was necessary after each manual rack.

I tried replacing all three plastic followers with the lakeline aluminum ones (another $64 with shipping) and this did not help at all. The aluminum on the aftermarket followers got chewed up pretty badly after one range trip, so I put the stock Kahr ones back in. The stock followers do NOT look disfigured in any way.

I tried lightly polishing the feed ramp and the same problem exists. The recoil assembly looks good and the large spring appears to be OK (not misshapen).

Any ideas? I certainly can not trust this firearm for defense in its current state. I'm thinking about a small S&W J-Frame 38 Special +P revolver for replacement.

I'm at my wits end. Any help is appreciated.

Tom

Alfonse
08-09-2016, 07:34 PM
Sounds like a single shot. Assuming it cycles fine by hand, the slide may not be moving back far enough to eject and then strip off the next round.

But, it used to work and doesn't now. Could there be gunk in something or springs that are no longer sprung? Just trying to think of what might have changed. Lubrication and cleaning?

CJB
08-09-2016, 08:57 PM
I think a FFL is required for return service shipping, correct?

My only experience with firearms was in the military (M16, S&W38, then Baretta M9) a long time ago,

Hello!

No, you can send your firearm in for service, without an FFL, and Kahr may offer (you can also ask for) a prepaid label using FedEx so its their dime.

#1 - clean everything
#2 - check correct assembly, especially recoil spring(s)
#3 - contact Kahr, who may send you a part for self install (ie, extractor might be chipped/broken)
#4 - ask for a prepaid label if they want the pistol back

zamboni
08-10-2016, 07:39 AM
Lets try to clarify your problem a little more so we can help you better. If I understand you correctly, after you fire the first round, the next round chambers but will not fire? When this happens is the slide completely forward in battery? If it is completely forward then what does the trigger feel like when the gun doesn't fire? Does it feel the same as when the gun shoots, and can you feel the striker release?

pyungshin
08-10-2016, 01:21 PM
The slide is completely forward after firing the first round. I pull the trigger with the intent of firing the next round and nothing is felt or happens. I can only assume the next round did chamber because I must pull back the slide to eject the round that did not fire. How can I tell if the round after firing is chambering or not? There is no click or feeling of engagement after the second "pull".

kwh
08-10-2016, 05:37 PM
When you pull the slide back after a round is fired, do you extract an empty case or an unfired round?
As stated above, may be a problem with the extractor ,and/or trigger bar. Remove the side plate for inspection if so inclined.
Do not know why the Lakeland followers got chewed up, but description so far does not indicate a feeding problem.
If Kahr will not send you a "free" shipping label, it is much less expensive to send pistol back by paying your FFL dealer to do so than pay$$$$$ to FedEx.
Keep sending out info and we will help.

CJB
08-10-2016, 06:55 PM
Do not know why the Lakeland followers got chewed up, but description so far does not indicate a feeding problem.

The 40 cal PM and P series seem to have some issues with the bottom of the barrel ramp hitting the follower, no matter who's it is.

I'm flying a bit blind, but.... could be bad fitment, or could be frame flexing a bit, or both.

The "fix" is to trim a bit off the bottom of the ramp, where the bullet never ever hits anyway. Many folks have done that with great success. You can use Mr. Dremel, or Mr. File, or Mr. Sandpaper to do the work.

zamboni
08-10-2016, 07:03 PM
The slide is completely forward after firing the first round. I pull the trigger with the intent of firing the next round and nothing is felt or happens. I can only assume the next round did chamber because I must pull back the slide to eject the round that did not fire. How can I tell if the round after firing is chambering or not? There is no click or feeling of engagement after the second "pull".

If no "click" on your unsuccessful trigger pulls, that would lead me to believe that your trigger isn't resetting for some reason. Try dry firing and see if trigger resets every time you pull the slide back. You shouldn't have to pull the slide back very far for it to reset, and you should feel the trigger "break" and hear the click. Other than that, the workings of the kahr trigger are way above my pay grade. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I will offer some assistance, but I'm guessing a trip back to mother ship is probably in order.

CJB
08-10-2016, 07:34 PM
There are numerous reports of "trigger reset" not occurring. A variety of issues, but really, it all amounts to the trigger bar not lifting. Could be binding, could be a hanging chad of polymer, could be the travel limited by odd molding of the polymer frame, could be the spring, could be, could be, could be.... and etc. Its a simple little spring loaded arm. It can be corrected easily no matter the issue.

pyungshin
08-11-2016, 02:23 AM
"When you pull the slide back after a round is fired, do you extract an empty case or an unfired round?"
Unfired round.

"Try dry firing and see if trigger resets every time you pull the slide back. You shouldn't have to pull the slide back very far for it to reset, and you should feel the trigger "break" and hear the click."
I'll test when I get home Monday.

"A variety of issues, but really, it all amounts to the trigger bar not lifting."
I'll inspect this also next week.

I also read something in a very old post here where a gentleman had what sounded like the same problem and he ground .015 off the rear extractor spacer to lessen the tension of the extractor spring. The spacer is only a little over a buck, so I may invest in a couple. If I don't find FOD anywhere around the trigger assembly, I'll contact Kahr and start the (what I hope) warranty process first. Kahr does insist on 2-day UPS/FEDEDX shipping of return for repair items.

Thanks all for your insight and help. I'll let you know what I find Monday or Tuesday.

Regards,

Tom