PDA

View Full Version : Barrel stained after 100 rounds??

Xlr8nflorida
08-09-2010, 09:27 PM
My barrel is dirty brown. I cleaned it with hopes 9.
Also barrel seems to be different colors.
Gun was accurate but what is up with funky barrel?
Also seems to be some marks on barrel but not cut into barrel.
Is this normal?

MikeyKahr
08-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Are you able to put up a pic? Might be helpful.

Xlr8nflorida
08-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Are you able to put up a pic? Might be helpful.

I can email you a picture from my email account.

My Springfield xd has thousands rounds through it and still looks good.

jocko
08-10-2010, 05:41 AM
My barrel is dirty brown. I cleaned it with hopes 9.
Also barrel seems to be different colors.
Gun was accurate but what is up with funky barrel?
Also seems to be some marks on barrel but not cut into barrel.
Is this normal?

it on the inside or outside of the barrel??Eithe way I seen no harm to the barrel You can get some fine 600+ grip ato paper or a dremel and a polishing cone and polish the outside of the barrel to a mirror shine ifyou desire. That barrel is nickel plated inside and out, so it should clean up. If Its on the insdie you might try another cleaning compound to see if it takes that brown look out. I doubt if kahr will address this either. Gun is accurate and reliable, , just polish the outside and shoot it like you stole it...

mr surveyor
08-10-2010, 08:35 AM
if you're referring to the inside of the barrel, it sounds like a typical new barrel copper fouling. New barrels, as you probably know, have a lot of very tiny rough edges in the lands and grooves from the rifling process. Part of the break in process is smoothing out the burrs.... either by hand lapping the barrel with plugs and compound, or just shooting it.... fire lapping. Copper and lead will leave a brownish tinge to what ordindarily would be a bright mirror surface in the barrel, and streaking in the fouling will make the barrel look like a total reject. Also, the discoloration can have an irradesent (sp) appearance.... kind of like a thin film of oil on water. I have experienced this with every new (higher quality) firearm I've owned, and it will clear up.

So, IF that's what you are experiencing, get a good quality copper solvent and give it a try. Hoppes is fine with a barrel that's been smoother, but a new barrel with rough edges gathers a lot more copper particles and needs something more specific in nature to flush it out.

If I've mis-guessed the topic, disregard this post:)

surv

deadhead1971
08-10-2010, 09:03 AM
is this a Kahr barrel? :)

using dirty wolf/russian ammo? :)

Xlr8nflorida
08-10-2010, 01:00 PM
is this a Kahr barrel? :)

using dirty wolf/russian ammo? :)

Using PMC Ammo

Spoke to Kahr- the barrel also had some issues around feed ramp.

They are replacing the barrel. Just to give you the heads up as many forums seem to have different info on them. The barrel is indeed nickel. Hoppes #9 should be used carefully. The barrel should never be soaked in it and if you get it on the barrel it needs to be wiped off quickly or the nickel finish would get ruined. I mentioned to Kahr that it doesn't say anything about not using Hoppes in the user guide or the fact you need to be careful of the nickel plating and they themselves agreed they used it but it has to be wiped off rather quickly or the finish will get ruined/stained.

This brings up the interesting discussion. What is a good solvent that won't affect the nickel plating?? Clearly, there must be stuff out there.

They agreed that since there was no warning, they would replace the barrel. Not sure why the bottom of the lug had real rough edges, chips except if it was from a jam?

mr surveyor
08-10-2010, 04:58 PM
so... you were referring to the outside finish?

jocko
08-10-2010, 05:50 PM
so... you were referring to the outside finish?

think if it was the outside finish, one could just polish that barrel to a nice shine and be done with it. It is nickle plated on inside and out and will polish easily. I know some of the kahr barrels come with a dull coated finish on the outside of the barrels that wears off in time but under that is the nickel plating which will polish.

mr surveyor
08-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Jocko

It sounds like he is saying that Hoppes #9 may have reacted with the nickle finish. Also sounds like the barrel might have been left soaking in Hoppes?

The details are too sketchy for me to follow what's going on. I better wait for the made for TV movie.

surv

RogerP9fan
08-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Is it a polygonal barrel or conventional?

Xlr8nflorida
08-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Is it a polygonal barrel or conventional?

I thought they were all polygonal?

mr surveyor
08-11-2010, 12:19 PM
The CW series barrels have standard rifling.

Some of us are still trying to understand if your concern is over discoloration inside the barrel or outside the barrel.

Also, what model are you having your problem with?

surv

jocko
08-11-2010, 03:49 PM
I thought they were all polygonal?

all cw series kahrs have standard rifleing. All other kahr models have polygonal rifling. Bot are excellent and just as accurate as the other..:third:

Diocoles
08-13-2010, 01:21 PM
I've had that happen with other pistols. The outside of the barrel has a brown tint to it. It doesn't affect performance at all, just discoloration.
I've seen it with Kahr and Beretta barrels.

recoilguy
08-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Hoppes will discolor and eventually cause nickle plating to peal. I have a buddy who had a Bersa 9UC with a nickle palted slide. Hoppes destroyed his slide. Well it wasn't destroyed it still functioned fine it looked like crap though. When in doubt DO NOT USE HOPPES. It works great on hwat it works on but it messes with nickle plate at a chemical level.

RCG

ripley16
08-13-2010, 02:28 PM
I've used Hoppes #9 on nickle plated guns for a long time with no ill effects.

What is a good solvent that won't affect the nickel plating??
If you'd like an alternative that has no side-effects that I've ever heard of, try Ballistol. It's been around forever. Hk used to send a sample with their guns... good stuff.

recoilguy
08-14-2010, 03:11 PM
my grandpa smoke cigarettes until he was 87 and had a heart attack.......that doesn't mean cigarettes don't cause cancer. He just got lucky.

RCG