PDA

View Full Version : My CW9 is here

JohnR
08-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Cleaned out all the gooey stuff, cleaned and checked the mag spring, put it back together, and it's ready to shoot. I replaced the sadistically designed mag base plate with a flat metal one, and haven't decided how to treat the sadistically designed cheese grater grips yet. I want to leave them alone and use an inner tube, but I'll wait.

The trigger emits a creaky sound throughout its travel, whether cocked or not. It sounds like metal scraping against plastic. I'm hoping it'll smooth out after shooting a while.

Oh, and it fits my CM9 holsters, so I don't need to add to my holster mountain. The pictured holster is a Panther Concealment for my PM45. It's not a perfect fit, but it covers the trigger and retains the gun.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z90/johnr64/2016-08-16%2014.43.03_zpsnis48zge.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z90/johnr64/2016-08-16%2014.43.23_zpsmvc3an3w.jpg

Bawanna
08-16-2016, 01:12 PM
I was real happy once I built up enough courage and broke out my wood burner.
I ended up just flattening out all the rough dimples and stippled over the whole thing.

Still an excellent gripping surface but no bite.

Super fast and super easy to do.

wyntrout
08-16-2016, 01:40 PM
Congrats! Watch out for pinching with that gap at the front of the mag base and the grip. My P40 really bit me, but didn't try the P9. I put O-rings on both sets of standard round mags.

http://www.kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6907&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1352948966

My new DLC P40 should arrive tomorrow. I need to go over my mags again. I recently replaced all of the followers, but didn't sand or smooth them... probably my problem the last few range visits.

Wynn :)

JohnR
08-16-2016, 02:24 PM
My CM9 and PM45 both have the graters dremeled smooth. It looks horrible but feels great.

RolandD
08-16-2016, 02:38 PM
I put inner tube on both the CW9 and CT380 as soon as I was done with my prep clean. I have no desire to fire them without the front and backstrap covered.

wyntrout
08-16-2016, 02:53 PM
The inner tube grip cover (1.75") is at least reversible and relatively easy to do. You do have to watch the cover migrating into the magwell or over the magazine release on the back side. This can give you malfunctions! I've replaced the one on my PM45 several times. The rubber stretches and with much shooting can move a bit.

JohnR
08-16-2016, 03:23 PM
I've done the inner tube before. It works, but it does slip over time.

JohnR
08-17-2016, 06:57 PM
Twas a good first range trip. 90 rounds of Federal FMJ, the second round failed to feed. Racked the slide and all was good after that. This is perhaps the tightest new gun I've ever had, so it has a lot of breaking in ahead of it. I put an inner tube on the grip and it's as comfortable as it gets. Nice accuracy. I can't wait to shoot it more.

wyntrout
08-17-2016, 08:25 PM
Very good. I got my new P40 DLC today and the trigger pull seems longer. With my Wheeler digital trigger pull scale, it gives a max of 7 lbs 5.0 oz. the first pull and for 13 pulls it gave a max of 7-5.0, min 6-5.3 with an average of 6-11.8. My old P40 averages about 5 lbs 4.5 ounces with the 5-lb Wolff striker spring installed.

I think that I will try the new pistol without a tube grip cover... may regret that, but it doesn't seem as scary as the PM45's nibs.

I'll start a new post and stop hogging yours. :)

Wynn

DavidWJ
08-18-2016, 12:18 PM
The Hogue slip-in is awesome. The trigger bar spring slides on the trigger bar and can give a gritty feel to the trigger. Using Molybdenum Disulfide on the sliding parts will improve the feel of the pistol. I guess the spring and bar could be polished, but I haven't.

JohnR
08-18-2016, 01:40 PM
I think that's where the scraping is, in the trigger bar area. No way I'm going to disassemble that, the parts are too tiny to deal with. I'm still hoping the parts mate up eventually and it moves as silky smooth as every other Kahr I've experienced.

JohnR
08-19-2016, 03:15 PM
190 rounds of FMJ and 28 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense, everything's good. No issues, other than my 8 round magazine flew apart, shooting the spring 3 yards downrange. The trigger is still creaky, I don't like that. But it works great and shoots a ragged hole so I'm not worrying about it.

wyntrout
08-19-2016, 10:29 PM
Nice... except for the magazine. :D I put a tube grip cover on my P40 today(Friday) but haven't cleaned it yet. I may go ahead and put a 5-lb Wolff striker spring in it, too. I got a 10-pack, I think. The only one I returned to original is the PM45 after a few possible light strikes one range trip. Most of my pistols are 5 to 5 1/2 pound trigger pulls... with the 5-lb springs or Ghost connectors for my Glocks... except for the G43 which had the new and improved connector giving the 5.5 lb or thereabouts pull.

Once in a while i get a "double" when I too quickly try to take up the slack... all on the letter-sized target so far, though.

JohnR
08-20-2016, 06:08 AM
How much difference does the striker spring make?

Bawanna
08-20-2016, 09:40 AM
I've found that it varies some. My PM45 must have been a bit on the light side as it was just over 5# to start with. The 5# spring was only slightly better but probably improved a bit with time. Had I not had a scale to measure I probably would not have been able to tell the difference.

Others are more in the 5 1/2 to 6# range and the 5# spring is a more noticeable improvement from the get go.

gb6491
08-20-2016, 10:26 AM
The Hogue slip-in is awesome. The trigger bar spring slides on the trigger bar and can give a gritty feel to the trigger. Using Molybdenum Disulfide on the sliding parts will improve the feel of the pistol. I guess the spring and bar could be polished, but I haven't.

I think that's where the scraping is, in the trigger bar area. No way I'm going to disassemble that, the parts are too tiny to deal with. I'm still hoping the parts mate up eventually and it moves as silky smooth as every other Kahr I've experienced.
A little dab of grease right here might help:
http://i67.tinypic.com/sqie5d.jpg
Regards,
Greg

JohnR
08-20-2016, 02:25 PM
Yep, I always lube my trigger bars.