PDA

View Full Version : PM 45 mag help

chovyman
08-10-2010, 09:00 PM
new to kahr picking up a pm45 was checking if anyone knows of a supplier of mag floor plates to replace the plastic ones. looking to use flat ones.

thanks

Catshooter
08-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Isn't any I know of. If you do a search for threads I've started you'll find one where I shortened a 1911 mag and made it work in mine. It even holds one more round!

I too dislike the base plates Karh supplies.

Cat

chovyman
08-14-2010, 07:08 PM
hey cat how did you do the 1911 mag? ive thought about it did you cut it and re-weld it or? thanks michael

wyntrout
08-14-2010, 07:18 PM
If you can try a Colt Officer's model 6-shot magazine, it might work. I haven't run across one when I had the PM45 with me. Many of the 1911 magazines have welded bases, or plastic ones. Some of the 1911 magazines will work in the PM45 and even actuate the slide lock when the magazine runs dry.
I personally think the regular base adds just enough grip for comfort. The P380 and PM9 don't kick as much and two fingers are enough to hang onto those... for me.
Wynn:D

Bawanna
08-14-2010, 09:08 PM
All the Wilson mags work like a Swiss Car in my PM45. I was thrilled when I figured that out. Both officers and full size mags did everything they are suppose to including locking the slide back on empty.
Awesome when your bug feeds on the same mags as your main battery.

wyntrout
08-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Does the 6-shot Officer's mag fit Tiny??

Bawanna
08-14-2010, 10:28 PM
It does. I'll have to break it out and see just how far it sticks out, I've forgotten. But I know I tried several of them at the first range session.

kahrseye
08-15-2010, 08:51 AM
All the Wilson mags work like a Swiss Car in my PM45. I was thrilled when I figured that out. Both officers and full size mags did everything they are suppose to including locking the slide back on empty.
Awesome when your bug feeds on the same mags as your main battery.

Can you post a picture or 2? I'd like to see that.

Bawanna
08-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Heres questionable shots of my PM45 with an Officers Model Wilson mag, a full size Wilson mag, and a Chip McCormack 10 rd. (it doesn't seem to like the10 rder much. Didn't want to slide past to lock up. The last shot of course is the factory 5 round mag.

wyntrout
08-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks, Bawanna'. Do you have one of the 6-shot mags... the Officer's Model magazine, I believe?
The Kahr 5-shot magazine with the plastic base gives me just enough grip, but I wonder how a 6-round would fit and work.
I have used a S&W metal follower in the Kahr tube and using the Kahr base. I was able to stuff 6 rounds in there, but was worried about how tight it was. I also tried that Brolin Arms follower and spring and was able to tightly fit 6 rounds in the Kahr magazine. It even worked the slide stop, something the S&W wouldn't do. I did a post on that with pictures, too( http://kahrtalk.com/general-discussion/1670-just-some-funny-stuff.html#post16592 ). I just think that I was risking trouble with 6 rounds tightly jammed in there.

Bawanna
08-15-2010, 05:17 PM
The first picture is a 6 round officers model Wilson mag. Even it sticks down considerable. While I was messing with this I play a bit and realized that I use the plastic portion of the factory mag base for grip. I'm not sure I'd prefer a flush myself, although I couldn't say for sure until I tried one.

wyntrout
08-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks. I thought it would be closer to flush. Oh, well.
Wynn:)

Bawanna
08-15-2010, 06:50 PM
I figured the same thing but not even close. I've wondered what one of the tiny little Detonics magazines would fit like. Haven't seen any for a long time but they were real short thru the grip.

kahrseye
08-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks Bawanna, those mags would definitely be good for a reload. I can't see carrying with them, just too long.

Bawanna
08-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Exactly correct, I'd not even consider carrying them from the get go but it's sure sweet that your primary mags (for 1911 guys) fit your bug. They also save a bit of reloading if your shooting alot at the range.
I often find myself (perhaps not often) leaving my Para behind especially when it's real warm which is not often in Wa but we're hot right now. But I keep the spare mags so Tiny the PM45 has plenty of fodder if needed.

wyntrout
08-16-2010, 01:37 AM
PigButtons posted on the Detonics magazine:

http://kahrtalk.com/pm-series-pistols/1668-magazine-option-pm45.html#post17062

Wynn

PigButtons
08-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Yea, the Detonics mags work great. Just a slight adjustment to the last round hold open tang on the mag follower and it is 100%.

Sorry, I've been focused on rimfire stuff for about 3 months. Missed ya'll.

Bawanna
08-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Yea, the Detonics mags work great. Just a slight adjustment to the last round hold open tang on the mag follower and it is 100%.

Sorry, I've been focused on rimfire stuff for about 3 months. Missed ya'll.

Can Detonics mags even be found anymore? I've not looked or researched but they have been gone for quite a spell. Can you tell me what that little cut down model was called so I can do a little huntin?
PigButtons, you gotta multi task dude. You can rimfire and kahrtalk too. We missed you too.

PigButtons
08-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Hey Bawanna,

Yea, the detonics mags are still out there. You are looking for Combat Master mags Mark IV through Mark VII.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/4900038978_ef119d9474.jpg

Detonics 9mm 45 caliber magazine (http://www.ammoclip.com/D/detonics.htm) has the stainless mags.

and the black anodized ones are here along with the stainless:
Detonics Gun Magazines (http://www.gunclips.net/detonics.html)

wyntrout
08-16-2010, 08:32 PM
You're welcome. I try to give credit when I can, especially somewhat original work.:D

I went to the range today and fired 99x .380, 150x 9mm, and 171x .45... all my Tupperware. I had a lot of problems with my PM45.

I thought my mag catch was bad, my grip was cracked, and something was wrong with my magazines.:eek: I had trouble getting some of the magazines inserted. I had the slide not staying back on empty magazines and feed problems... and stove pipes.

I took the PM45 apart twice and really thought I had a BUNCH of problems. What I found when i got home about 1 1/2 hours ago, was that my two 5-shot mags and the 6-shot extended grip magazine all had cracks on both sides of the top rear. The rear is separating at the top. I wondered why the 6-rounder felt so squishy up at the top when loaded and I had a LOT of trouble trying to insert it into the mag well and getting it locked in place.

Those three magazines came with my gun off GunBroker. I have one 7-round mag and two 7-round extended grip mags left that aren't coming apart... yet. I wonder if it's just my pistol??

Has anyone else had magazine failures like this?
I'll post some pictures shortly.

I had fun with the guns... thankfully my current EDC, the P380, was faultless.

I had magazine problems... FTFeed with the 8-round extended-grip 9mm magazines. the first round would feed fine, but the next one would be advanced a bit and nosed down a bit so that it bangs into the ramp and sticks there.
I cut down the failures by paying more attention to the next to the top round as I loaded it, making sure it was all the way to the rear. This meant popping out the top round, re-seating the next round, and then reloading the last round.
These magazines and followers suck. I'm thinking about modifying some followers by building up the front part with epoxy putty and making it all angled up toward the front, instead of the rocker thing it is now. The back half is angled up and the front half is angled down... WTF??:confused:
I'll post this and then add the pictures in a few minutes.

wyntrout
08-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Here are the magazine pictures. I fired 420 rounds... at least. After the first return of the target I started using paper plates. You can see where they were stuck. I fired at 7 and 15 yards. I'll try to get a range report, but wanted to post this about the magazines here.

I thought I was editing the last post.:rolleyes:

I thought that maybe my inner tube was interfering with the mag catch and took it off. I had to wear a glove for about the last 140 rounds.

If I held the gun correctly and squeezed the trigger, there would be a hole where I was aiming... but that slowed me down too much.:D

PigButtons
08-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Wyn,
That mag looks like the sort of thing we used to have at the auto plant. Stamping fatigue along the bend seams. I know you shoot a lot but I've never seen that kind of failure in a steel magazine.

Bawanna
08-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Me neither. He shoots alot but certainly not that much. Shouldn't happen.

wyntrout
08-18-2010, 03:19 AM
Only 171 of the 420 were .45. I first fired 99 .380 and then 150 9mm from my PM9. It took me a while, but I looked everywhere to find how many rounds I've fired through the PM45. I looked at pictures on my computer, targets, posts here, and loose Post-Its.
The number that I came up with was 2,007 since March 6 this year. I wouldn't have shot so much normally, but I was testing repairs and "fixes". That doesn't include all of the testing on three trips to the mothership. The three magazines that failed were with the gun from the start, as was the TP 7-rounder. I would suspect that it has something to do with my gun, and that the others will fail like that as well. I certainly haven't heard anyone else report magazine failures like this. The magazines are very sturdy and tough, but not tough enough, I guess. I have never fired any +P in Boomer.
I fired off an email and pictures, including rounds fired and when the magazines were acquired to the head of Kahr CS. I know he was glad to hear from me again. :D I'm down to three 7-round mags... 2 of them the extended grip kind. Boomer has been relegated to at-hand status at my TV chair. I've been carrying the P380 as my EDC and around the house as well. It was totally faultless the last two trips to the range since its second trip to Kahr. It shared the box with the PM45 when it went back for the replacement for the replacement slide on Boomer.
I did a little figuring on the 420 rounds expended. I counted 31 rounds above the neck (some shot at the head) and 43 below the neck that weren't covered by the pie plate. This gave me 82% hitting the pie plate at 7 and 15 yards with mostly rapid fire. I have to sprinkle a few with poor trigger control, but I can hold the gun just right and pull the trigger correctly and put a hole where I want, but I have to look for places so I can see the holes appear. Target shown again below.
I also posted some pictures of my hobby/dining table. I went to Harbor Freight Tools and got some goodies which were on the table along with a few newspapers, my three polymer Kahrs, cleaning paraphernalia, piles of magazines and a lot of other valuable stuff. I had to clean off everything but the foot high pile of magazines and stuff on the far corner, so that we could use it as a dining table.
I got an email recently that seemed to demonstrate that the smarter the person, the more cluttered the desk... and immediate area....

I added a picture of this mini-revolver I ran across online. Where and how would you carry this little thing??

wyntrout
08-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Okay... my PM45 is going back to the mothership for the fourth time. #3, if you don't count the last return to replace the poorly engraved replacement slide from return # 2.

Dang, on closer inspection, one of the newest, a 7-round extended grip has the crack on one side. Its mate bought at the same time, seems okay, but…. And the 7-shot TP magazine seems to have a crack starting next to the weld on the top rear. I guess I might as well send them all:
2x 5-shot (K525) *back peeling off
1x 6-shot (K625G) extended grip * back peeling off
1x 7-shot (K725) * possible crack next to weld on top back
2x 7-shot extended grip (K725G)(New April 2+) * one cracked on one side the other OK??
The first four magazines I’ve had since I got the PM45. The last two I got the first part of April.

I'm sending all of them back because it seems like they will all fail soon. This has to be something wrong with MY gun.

Wynn:(

wyntrout
11-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Late Update. Kahr duplicated the magazines cracking and the only thing that stopped the destruction was a new frame. I got all new replacement mags, too. I've had no problems with any mags since the new frame. "Franken Boomer" is doing fine now.

A new frame means a new registration for the new Serial#... and another FFL fee.

The original serial # was SV3533 and the new was SV38xx. Kahr sent along a letter explaining that they had taken possession of the original frame for my records.

Soon after I got the pistol back... over two years ago, now... the nut on the front of the recoil guide rod departed. Kahr sent me another recoil assembly and I mad a rounded nut for the old one as a spare.

Wynn:)

jocko
11-20-2012, 04:03 PM
I would think cost wise it would be cheaper to just do what they did, replace with new frame. they have that one ability over us, and that is REPLACE PARTS UNTIL THE ISSUE STOPS. Not ever knowng whetgher that lat part was the cure or the accuulation of all new stuff replced finaly solved the issue. again more than likely a cost thing.

Seems no one ever fixes anything anymore. 10 years ago, hell maybe even 5 years ago, u just did not hear ot this relaced slide--barrel, lower section etc. Today now seems common. Just sayin.

glad u got urs goin wyn, u certainly deserve a medal for patience..