PDA

View Full Version : Gallery of 45's

O'Dell
08-11-2010, 02:38 PM
http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/Viper2856/Gallery%20of%2045s/PICT0030.jpg?t=1281557567

Obviously I like variety in size and function. In these six pistols there are represented five manufacturers and five trigger functions - DA striker and hammer, DA/SA striker and hammer, and SA striker. By taking two or more guns on a range trip, I have developed the ability to shoot all [except the new 4586] pretty well, despite the disparity in function. Anyway, I carry the PM45 most of the year because it so easy to conceal under light clothing.

The most accurate for me are the M&P and the P220, but once I get used to the trigger and mass of the 4586, I'm guessing it will do just as well. Speaking of empty weight, the PM45 is obviously the lightest, followed closely by the 24/7, while the all SS 4586 is over twice as heavy as the PM. The P220, M&P, and XD are of similar weight if not size.

Steve-$
08-11-2010, 06:17 PM
A very nice collection!

:)

Bawanna
08-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Man, I don't see how I missed this one. I was in Alaska when it was posted and I apparently went past it when I got home.
I don't mind telling ya I got a little bit of a chubby looking at it.
Very nice wardrobe to choose from each time you leave your sanctuary.
I gotta have an M&P, those things just look good to me. Our county guys are transitioning to them as we speak. I've wanted the 45 compact for quite awhile. Could someone call my wife and tell her how important it is for me to have one of those. Please?

wyntrout
08-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Nice collection! That Sig and the S&W are big and beautiful, but a little on the heavy side for CCW. I wouldn't mind having them, though, for shooters and ""battle guns". :D

The lower center one looks intriguing, so I had to see what it was. I prefer the PM45, but with my current magazine failures, I'm not feeling so happy with it.
I'll go ahead and post this before I zap it into the ether accidentally.:)

Report: 24/7 Pro C DS 45 - PICTURES ADDED (http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=8271.0)

and Range Report: Taurus 24/7 PRO Compact in .45 (NIB) - TheFirearmsForum.Com (http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=75311)

First up I saw a one on GunBroker and somehow that became a .40 in pink! http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=180410446
Another link: http://www.dealerease.net/catalog/product.asp?ret_id=885434&pid=68567

Wynn :D

O'Dell
08-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Man, I don't see how I missed this one. I was in Alaska when it was posted and I apparently went past it when I got home.
I don't mind telling ya I got a little bit of a chubby looking at it.
Very nice wardrobe to choose from each time you leave your sanctuary.
I gotta have an M&P, those things just look good to me. Our county guys are transitioning to them as we speak. I've wanted the 45 compact for quite awhile. Could someone call my wife and tell her how important it is for me to have one of those. Please?

The M&P is an excellent pistol. It's very accurate and has almost perfect ergonomics for me, but my favorite is still the P220. It just looks right.

What's your wife's phone number? :D

O'Dell
08-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Nice collection! That Sig and the S&W are big and beautiful, but a little on the heavy side for CCW. I wouldn't mind having them, though, for shooters and ""battle guns". :D

The lower center one looks intriguing, so I had to see what it was. I prefer the PM45, but with my current magazine failures, I'm not feeling so happy with it.
I'll go ahead and post this before I zap it into the ether accidentally.:)

Report: 24/7 Pro C DS 45 - PICTURES ADDED (http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=8271.0)

and Range Report: Taurus 24/7 PRO Compact in .45 (NIB) - TheFirearmsForum.Com (http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=75311)

First up I saw a one on GunBroker and somehow that became a .40 in pink! Taurus PT 24/7 Pro C DS .45 ACP Pistol - PINK -NEW : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=180410446)
Another link: Taurus*PT 24/7-Pro-Comp 45ACP BL 3.3"Brl*1247451PC12 (http://www.dealerease.net/catalog/product.asp?ret_id=885434&pid=68567)

Wynn :D

I'm sorry about your Mag problems. So far with about 700 rounds the PM45 has been perfect for me. I just have the two factory mags, so I probably don't have 400 rounds through either of them yet. Have you heard from Kahr yet?

I'm not a fan of Taurus, because I've had two that didn't work so I sold them. However, the 24/7 has been perfect for about 800 rounds. It's size is a bit deceiving, as it's a lot bigger than the PM45. I usually belt carry it OWB, but I can do that with any of the six. As far as reliability is concerned, the only problems I've had with any of the six pistols is two FTFeeds with the XD in the first 30 rounds. It's been flawless for the last 400.

The all stainless 4586 is heavy, but the alloy framed SIG will surprise you. It's empty weight is actually lighter than the M&P or XD.

I'm sorta sorry I missed the pink 24/7. That would have been a real hit with the waitresses at the Diner.:rolleyes:

wyntrout
08-20-2010, 02:54 PM
The pink gun was listed as a .45, but the box said .40.

I was looking up the information on the Sig and first got a review that sounded pretty favorable until they quoted the price and the note after the article said first posted in 1987!

I hefted my ugly big S&W 645 earlier and it's just so huge, ungainly and uncomfortable to hold, let alone carry. I tried CCW with that... in SHORTS, but only a couple of times... that's when I bought the Para P12 with NS, used and not stainless, but compact enough for night CCW when walking my dog. I felt prepared with 12+1 .45 230-grain Federal Hydra Shok. I stopped carrying a reload, 'cause I figured I would be in a WAR if I needed that much ammo walking my dog. I also carried a stun gun for pets and other small critters... Yay, Florida... weapon CCW, not just pistol.
When the dog died, I sold the Para to get money for a new stereo with HDMI connections. Had it been stainless, I might have kept it.
Wynn:D

cptdean
08-20-2010, 03:13 PM
The M&P is an excellent pistol. It's very accurate and has almost perfect ergonomics for me, but my favorite is still the P220. It just looks right.

I've owned two P220s...one in .45 and a 1980s West German built .38 Super with a European mag release. Full size P220s are at the very top of my list of all time favorites. Thanks for adding another gun to my want list. :p

ETA: I still have my XD45 Service (AWESOME gun), and I'd love to have a big Vic Mackey gun like that S&W!

O'Dell
08-20-2010, 03:42 PM
The pink gun was listed as a .45, but the box said .40.

I was looking up the information on the Sig and first got a review that sounded pretty favorable until they quoted the price and the note after the article said first posted in 1987!

I hefted my ugly big S&W 645 earlier and it's just so huge, ungainly and uncomfortable to hold, let alone carry. I tried CCW with that... in SHORTS, but only a couple of times... that's when I bought the Para P12 with NS, used and not stainless, but compact enough for night CCW when walking my dog. I felt prepared with 12+1 .45 230-grain Federal Hydra Shok. I stopped carrying a reload, 'cause I figured I would be in a WAR if I needed that much ammo walking my dog. I also carried a stun gun for pets and other small critters... Yay, Florida... weapon CCW, not just pistol.
When the dog died, I sold the Para to get money for a new stereo with HDMI connections. Had it been stainless, I might have kept it.

I cheated a bit and bought the SIG used for slightly more than half of the normal price. It's a 1996 build, and a somewhat rare animal, as it's a nickel plated rolled steel and alloy German built gun. That why it's so light and weighs almost the same as my P225 9mm. I sent it to SIG last month and they did a detail cleaning, installed all new springs and new night sights for $130 - not a bad deal. It looks brand new.

As for the S&W 4586, I didn't really need it, but Bud's had a blow-out sale last month for $259 on their ex-police guns. I was pleasantly surprised when I got it. It was almost perfect inside and out with bright NS's and two factory mags. Yes, it weighs almost as much as a steel 1911, but it has shot well for 150 rounds. I checked with S&W and it's a 2004 gun.

We have about the same weather here, especially this year, as you do in JAX, so I carry the PM45 about eight months of the year. The rest I usually only carry with a jacket to cover them. BTW, my first boat after flight school was the Saratoga out of Mayport, and my squadron, VF31, was based at the old Cecil Field.

wyntrout
08-20-2010, 03:42 PM
I had one of those 4506's and wound up selling it when I was downsizing my inventory of un-used guns. I kept the 645 because I had made some modifications that might not appeal to buyers... the front night sight... I unpinned it and filed down the ramp, filed the bottom of the night sight and then drilled a new pin hole for mounting the sight. THEN I epoxied the front of the sight to help hold it there, but mainly to reduce the sharp corners without filing. That worked to sort of correct the POI to the sights' POA. It shot 9" low at 15 yards(?). Considering I bought it from a just retired US Border Patrol officer, that was a surprise. I don't like that I can't see what I'm shooting at!! The rear is adjustable for windage, so now the sights were right on... but dead now. :(
Rambling again....

wyntrout
08-20-2010, 03:51 PM
I love the Navy ships... all business and ready for just about anything... any time. We rarely carried anything in the BUFFs, but I did get to drop 28 dummy 500-pounders some place on Eglin AFB one at a time while they were testing their ground radar directed bombing. They told us where to fly and when to drop the bombs, after they decided our radar bombing wasn't as accurate as they wanted. This was before GPS was added to the BUFFs.
Everybody on the plane got to pickle off a least one bomb. It was kind of boring after the first few drops they called. :)
Rambling wind....

O'Dell
08-20-2010, 03:57 PM
I've owned two P220s...one in .45 and a 1980s West German built .38 Super with a European mag release. Full size P220s are at the very top of my list of all time favorites. Thanks for adding another gun to my want list. :p

ETA: I still have my XD45 Service (AWESOME gun), and I'd love to have a big Vic Mackey gun like that S&W!

Sorry 'bout that, but I really do like that P220. It's almost as light as my old smaller P225 9mm, and has excellent balance. I've heard that those 38 Super's were cool guns, but I've never shot one.

The neat thing about the XD 45 compact is that it comes with both a 10 round and 13 round mag. With the 10 it's a compact, but with the 13 it's service sized with a 4 inch barrel.

wyntrout
08-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Since you got me looking... here's my "dream" gun:
Products & Services (http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=6&productid=264)
That and a nice suppressor, as long as I'm dreaming! $1,306 MRSP! :eek: And at least half again that to add a suppressor!

O'Dell
08-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Products & Services (http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=6&productid=264)
That and a nice suppressor, as long as I'm dreaming! $1,306 MRSP! :eek: And at least half again that to add a suppressor!

Pretty cool, but it's so..... BLACK!;)

wyntrout
08-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Stealth! You would want a shiny gun for night "wet work"?

cptdean
08-20-2010, 04:29 PM
The neat thing about the XD 45 compact is that it comes with both a 10 round and 13 round mag. With the 10 it's a compact, but with the 13 it's service sized with a 4 inch barrel.

Yep, I like the Compacts for that. I got my Service because it has the thumb safety, which meant more to me at the time than it does now. I'm going to keep it, but I may end up with a Compact to go along with it someday.

jlottmc
08-21-2010, 09:21 AM
O'Dell how do you like that Taurus? I have the 4"bbl 24/7 in 40, and was thinking of adding another to the stable, probably for the ole' lady. She likes the 40 compact, I was thinking that one is a bit harder to find, but since she likes my 45's, that it might just be the ticket.

O'Dell
08-21-2010, 11:03 AM
O'Dell how do you like that Taurus? I have the 4"bbl 24/7 in 40, and was thinking of adding another to the stable, probably for the ole' lady. She likes the 40 compact, I was thinking that one is a bit harder to find, but since she likes my 45's, that it might just be the ticket.

I've had a love-hate relationship with Taurus. The 24/7 c 45 was my first, and it's been a very good pistol. I bought it about two years ago, and it's accurate for such a short barrel and has been problem-free for 800 rounds. It's easier to carry than my larger guns, which would be everything but Kahrs, even on the belt.

On the basis of the 24/7's performance, I bought a Millenium Pro 45 in February, and it was bad right out of the box. I had 40+ FTFeeds on my first range trip out of 262 rounds. This was with two brands of ball and two of HP - it didn't seem to make any difference. I sent the pistol back to Taurus, and they had it for six weeks. When returned, there was no significant improvement. I won't keep a gun that's not 100%, so I sold it back to the dealer.

I've read a great deal about Taurus on other forums, and the consensus is that if you get a good one, great, but if you get a bad one, Taurus won't be able to fix it. It's a shame, because the Taurus designs are pretty good. Unfortunately, their QC is spotty and their CS is nonexistent.

Personally, for a small carry gun, I'll stick with Kahr, which have been flawless for me.

O'Dell
08-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Yep, I like the Compacts for that. I got my Service because it has the thumb safety, which meant more to me at the time than it does now. I'm going to keep it, but I may end up with a Compact to go along with it someday.

Since I grew up with Hi-Powers and 1911's, I too, prefer a thumb safety. Unfortunately, they are disappearing from modern pistols. My M&P has one because I ordered it that way, and the 24/7 has one plus a decocker since it's a DA/SA, unusual for a striker fired gun. I consider the grip safety a partial solution so I can live with it.

Bawanna
10-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Well I obviously procrastinated on this one long enough. Since August seems like enough time to take a couple pictures but this thread is worth regurgitating to the top anyhow.
Here my wardrobe of 45's. Odd as it may seem the two out of character ones are my favorites, the Puma 92 replica and the Uberti Cattlemen with birdshead handle. Guess I was born a 100 years too late. I took a shot of the duffle bag 45 separately on account of I forgot about it when I took the others. Not that I love it any less, that's for sure.
My new Cbob had pushed the others to the safe. The Glock is a nightstand gun and of course the PM45 is always near where ever I am.

Bawanna
10-03-2010, 06:45 PM

I always like the 220 SAS All melted down and rounded off with the DAK trigger which is very similar in feel to the Para LDA. Curious what the SRT trigger feels like.

Weird, nothing but good things to say about Sig from most everybody but I just never got along with one. I had a SigPro 40 and I've shot 220's, and several others. Just didn't feel right or float my boat. Gotta be me, I'm just weird.

wyntrout
10-03-2010, 07:07 PM
I've never fired one... maybe haven't even held one. Just want a good SA/DA .45. and some decent sights... and a suppressor... just in case.
AND, it's not CA or MA compliant... yippee!

O'Dell
10-07-2010, 02:31 PM
http://kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2514&stc=1&d=1286482855

I hope this works. I forgot how I did it the last time.

Since the burglary the dynamics of my collection of 45's has changed. this is the new gallery.

On the top row are the new SIG P220 Elite, the PM45 and the new Ruger KP345. In the middle is the new H&K USP compact 45, and on the bottom are the S&W M&P c, the Taurus 24/7 c, and the Springfield XD c.