PDA

View Full Version : tp 40 difficult breakin

landman
09-05-2016, 10:52 PM
well after 500 rounds my tp40 is finally starting to run properly and I am feeling okay about carrying it.if it wasn't for the fact that I like it so much
I probably would have gotten rid of it as the cost just to break the gun in was a bit much.there are too many competing brands out there that run right
out of the box for kahr to continue putting out guns that require these lengthly break in periods.just my opinion.

berettabone
09-06-2016, 02:16 PM
Your going to shoot it anyway right? I would hope you would shoot at least that many rounds and more to practice your shooting skills/drills.

landman
09-11-2016, 06:23 PM
Your going to shoot it anyway right? I would hope you would shoot at least that many rounds and more to practice your shooting skills/drills.

I own 7 handguns and shoot them all on a regular basis so yes it is true that I am going to shoot it anyway.it is also true that a 500 round break in period is excessive.
my other pistols are from fn,s&w,para ord,.and Taurus none of which reqired more then a 100 round break in.most ran perfectly right out of the box.

berettabone
09-12-2016, 08:16 AM
So, what would be non excessive to you?????????? 100? 200? I have a few firearms that don't have 500 rds through them yet, but with no malfunctions. Is that enough for me to trust them? Not really..................

Bawanna
09-12-2016, 09:01 AM
It's all about each persons confidence level. Some have much higher standards than others.

I remember I used to require 1000 perfect rounds before I trusted a weapon for carry. That meant if it balked at 952, it started over.
As I've advanced in the game of life that standard has gotten much lower, much much lower but still 3 to 500 rounds and in some cases less.

Ammo prices and poor funding (think I need to set up one of them foundations where folks just send me money) also helps with the reduced standards.

I know officers who buy a gun and carry it the same day. If they weren't required to qualify with it, a measly 16 rounds I think they'd carry without shooting it at all. To me that's absolutely insane but they are confident.

So I guess it's a personal thing.

berettabone
09-12-2016, 09:47 AM
It's all about each persons confidence level. Some have much higher standards than others.

I remember I used to require 1000 perfect rounds before I trusted a weapon for carry. That meant if it balked at 952, it started over.
As I've advanced in the game of life that standard has gotten much lower, much much lower but still 3 to 500 rounds and in some cases less.

Ammo prices and poor funding (think I need to set up one of them foundations where folks just send me money) also helps with the reduced standards.

I know officers who buy a gun and carry it the same day. If they weren't required to qualify with it, a measly 16 rounds I think they'd carry without shooting it at all. To me that's absolutely insane but they are confident.

So I guess it's a personal thing.
I think your standards are good, and even though ammo is expensive, I don't think it's a reason to change your standards. Just carry another firearm that you do have confidence in, until the others are tested. I'm sure you do just that.:)

Bawanna
09-12-2016, 09:54 AM
True that, along with mileage comes an accumulation of carry options which allows one time to thoroughly test new comers.
The only down fall is I still get excited at a new addition and want to take it with me everywhere.
I usually just carry the newcomer in a soft case around with me for show and tell.

Same with most other stuff I reckon. Doubt even though I'm aging I'll ever grow up when it comes to toys.

berettabone
09-12-2016, 10:04 AM
I've always been a fan of show and tell:p:p

landman
09-13-2016, 04:42 AM
So, what would be non excessive to you?????????? 100? 200? I have a few firearms that don't have 500 rds through them yet, but with no malfunctions. Is that enough for me to trust them? Not really..................

well I would say that if a pistol has no history of failures then 200 rounds would be a fair test. :cool:

b4uqzme
09-13-2016, 05:54 AM

I'm in berettabone's camp. I actually enjoy shooting a new pistol. It seems that calling it a break-in makes it a burden to some. To me it's a pleasure. The stiff-spring-requires-a-set has been discussed to death around here. I don't blame Kahr for designing it that way. Even so, many Kahrs run perfect "right out of the box". Sorry that it took OP so long to get yours running. But glad you stuck it out.