PDA

View Full Version : New CM9, First impressions and Break in

ShreveportCC
09-19-2016, 12:23 PM
I have carried a Ruger LCP for years, and with a tighter spring and Hogue grip it became a gun that I bet my life on. However, it was always a pain to shoot more than a box because it just chewed into my hand. Plus, I wanted to step up in a 9mm carry pistol. My favorite shootin' gun is a 45ACP, but it's just too big to go everywhere with me.

So, I looked at a ton of pocket guns for EDC. I made a spreadsheet comparing capacity, dimensions, and weights. I put my hands on a ton of them, and shot a few of them. The Kahr PM/CM9 were high on my list until I read online about crippling defects/FTF issues, so I struck them out. I was really considering a small Sig, but those had their own issues. So, I looked at Kahr again. I read all the threads about people who probably hadn't properly prepped and broke in their Kahrs and decided that it really couldn't be that bad. After a good bit of thought, I decided the CM9 had everything I needed, and I guess in the back of my mind it was a bit of a hedge just in case it was a lemon.

I bought my CM9, Serial IS9***, Manufactured in June 2016 (According to Kahr) and when I got it home, I took it apart. Instant buyer's remorse.:( Polymer was hanging off everywhere. It looked like a sheet of plywood run through a warped table saw too quickly. There was some stuck to the inside of the slide and little pieces hanging off all over, especially where it meets the slide at the back of the frame. I wondered surely, the PM9 gets more love than this. I really started to think I'd made a bad choice.

I took a knife and cut off some of the bigger globs that didn't belong, and I sanded all the hangers around the edges with some emery paper until I was satisfied. I really could only describe it's initial appearance as shameful. I would not want my name on that firearm. I should have taken pictures, oh well.

I followed the prep and lube procedure and racked the slide probably 100x before taking it to the range. I took a little bit of everything, Winchester white box 115gr, Blazer Brass 115gr, and some Freedom Munitions New and RM, 115gr.

For my initial test, I used the factory 6 round magazine, another 6 round with a Pearce Grip, and a factory 7 round magazine.

I didn't have a lot of time, so I put 200 rounds through it in about an hour.

Buyers remorse went away!!
Right off the bat, I preferred the Pearce extension and 7 round magazine to the 6. This is because of my large hands. I did have a couple of instances where my finger got pinched between the base of the gun and the Pearce grip. Need to think of a foam or gasket to put there that will keep my finger out but compress to not affect my ability to load the magazine in.

As for shooting, I was really impressed. The gun seemed to go right back on target, making follow up shots very easy. I rapid-fired most of those magazines and was pleasantly surprised with my groupings at standard defensive distances.

I had no failures to fire or eject with any brands of ammo, but after about 150 rounds I did have a couple of times where the slide failed to stay open after the last round. I can't say if it was the 6 or 7 round magazine that did it more. By this time, the slide was very hot and racking the slide so I could reload was difficult. I am not sure if my problems were due to grime or heat, or just normal break in. Either way, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now. My opinion of the gun changed a lot. After 200 rounds, I had a red spot on my hand between my thumb and forefinger, but I attribute that to the aggressive checkering on the backstrap. No problem with hand pain like my little Ruger. No way I'd want to shoot 200 rounds through it in one sitting!

I took the gun home and gave it a proper cleaning. I also applied some rubber Talon grips, and that took care of that backstrap. I will be heading back out to the range with some 124gr and defensive ammo for more practice, but I really like this pistol. :o

I carry it in a DeSantis SuperFly pocket holster and sometimes I break out the LCP when my pockets are small. Great little gun!

Scarywoody
09-19-2016, 01:01 PM
What passes for quality these days is a bit lacking. I didn't have any noticeable polymer hangers. Mine was just really tight. I'm a polisher by affliction so I buffed and fluffed the whole thing. Mine has not had any issue. I've just had to practice quite a bit to get used to the trigger (Glock Guy).

ShreveportCC
09-19-2016, 01:43 PM
After browsing the forums, it might have been the Pearce grip and the force it puts on the magazine that was causing the slide to not stay open after my last shots. However, I don't remember if it was that magazine consistently, and it didn't do it at all with any magazine until about 150 rounds or so. I will find out next trip.

CJB
09-19-2016, 04:02 PM
My favorite shootin' gun is a 45ACP, but it's just too big to go everywhere with me.

Instant buyer's remorse.:( Polymer was hanging off everywhere.

I took a knife and cut off some of the bigger globs that didn't belong, and I sanded all the hangers around the edges with some emery paper

I had no failures to fire or eject

a. Try the PM45
b. RTFSticky we have here, which covers the polymer chads (which are harmless and self regulate)
c. You did ok with that, but it wasn't necessary
d. And you expected some?

Racking the slide does absolutely nada, except build up your muscles. You cannot rack the slide with enough speed to appreciably vary the recoil spring metallurgy. Neither can locking the slide back do anything in that regard. That spring needs very rapid flexing to take the proper "set" in its performance curve.

Shooting provides the rapidity you need and the hotter the ammo the better, imho. Break in with pipsqueak loads, and its not quite where it oughta be.

Only mentioning this for other newbies, and congrats on your new Kahr and its great performance. The lock back issue will fix itself with some shooting.

b4uqzme
09-19-2016, 07:23 PM
Racking the slide does absolutely nada, except build up your muscles...

Don't tell that to the Mrs. I got her racking daily. I (she) must, I must, I must improve my bust...

And welcome Shreveport. Nice write-up. Nicer pistol.

Bills1873
09-19-2016, 08:41 PM
Yeah, welcome SP! Glad you found a good shooter

ShreveportCC
09-22-2016, 04:26 PM
a. Try the PM45
b. RTFSticky we have here, which covers the polymer chads (which are harmless and self regulate)
c. You did ok with that, but it wasn't necessary
d. And you expected some?

Well, I hoped I wouldn't have any failures. After reading through some stories of Kahr issues and my initial impressions of the craftsmanship of the weapon, I was foremost glad that it worked. Now I think it'll be a great little EDC.

kwh
09-22-2016, 04:34 PM
IMHO you have found the perfect pocket pistol.

deadeye
09-22-2016, 09:09 PM
My CM9 has been a jewel. Been shooting it steadily for a little over 3 years. It's my constant companion. For what it's worth the only trouble I ever had with it was the Pearce extension I installed. Wouldn't lock open after the last round. Took it off and problem solved. Some folks have had good luck with them though.