PDA

View Full Version : Factory Seconds?

shifanut
10-24-2016, 07:51 AM
I purchased a CW9 online a while back from a dealer in Coshocton, Ohio. The handgun came in a cardboard box instead of the packaging I've seen on Youtube. Also, the index mark on the left side of the slide for disassembly is almost non-existent. It's very hard to see, even in bright lighting. Also, the white dot on the front sight is slightly misplaced a bit to the right which causes aiming to err to the left a bit. Beyond these issues I love the weapon. I think I remember paying about $315 for the gun, but I'm thinking, now, that it was probably a factory reject pawned off to cut-rate vendors. Does such a situation exist?

I just purchased a Trijicon front sight (at a ridiculously high price from Kahr) to solve that issue, and probably will "deepen" the slide-index mark with my Dremel tool. I'm just curious about my "factory reject" suspicions.

Bawanna
10-24-2016, 08:50 AM
They do offer blems and they are marked accordingly usually on the trigger guard. As I recall and I could be off on this, a B is for Blem and a U is for used. Used is usually the guns the factory reps take around for sales, shows. They get handled a lot but usually not shot. Often times it's hard to tell the used ones as they are cleaned up prior to sale.
Likewise with the blems, sometimes hard to find just what they consider a blem. This could be what you have.

You really don't need the index mark. If you just line up the notch with the back of the slide lock lever your there.

We've seen photo's of one or two that had no witness mark at all. Personally I wouldn't miss it a bit if mine didn't have one.

shifanut
10-24-2016, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the heads-up, Bawanna. There's nothing on the trigger-guard, though. Nonetheless, looks like I came to the right place! Thanks, again!!

kwh
10-24-2016, 03:35 PM
^^^ +1. I never use the witness mark . Bawanna is right on target as usual.

jtsmall
10-25-2016, 08:46 AM
^^^ +1. I never use the witness mark . Bawanna is right on target as usual.
My 2 cents is an echo of the above replies. I quickly found I could hold the slide more securely by ignoring the witness marks and visually lining up the half moon on the slide stop with the notch in the slide and feeling a bit proud of myself to boot.

I also recall reading that manufactures engrave R for refurbs on the trigger guard. Don't recall where but I'm reasonably certain one of many Gun Digest Sweeney gunsmithing publications lying about.

-jts

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk