PDA

View Full Version : CW9: Rounds are chambered...halfway?

jkrich2
10-30-2016, 09:44 PM
New to the forum and new to Kahr firearms - hello all!

I recently purchased a new CW9. Before putting rounds through it, I took it down, cleaning, lubing, and prepping as per the stickies for new Kahr owners (many thanks to the authors!).

Despite a pretty lengthy break in period (~350 rounds), one problem still remains. When inserting a loaded magazine and releasing the slide lock, I experience what I initially thought was some sort of failure to feed. I had sanded the magazine feed lips, examined the magazine springs, polished the feed ramp, etc., but I still experience what, at the time, seemed to be a jam of some sort. So, I would eject the magazine, clear the chamber, then try and give it another go.

This past Friday, I take the CW9 to the range, and I run into the same problem on the first magazine. However, after examining it closely, I realized that there didn't seem to a jam of any kind, but rather - for lack of a better explanation - the round was only halfway chambered. With almost no resistance, I was able to push the slide forward, thus chambering the round, and I was able to fire off all 7 rounds without a hitch. This issue usually arises when inserting a new magazine, but it has also occurred, say, 2 or three rounds afterwords. I fire off a round, the spent case is ejected, a new round is picked up, and then the slide stops prematurely, about a 1/2 inch or so from returning to battery. Once again, all I have to do is lightly push the slide forward, and I can continue shooting.

Any idea what is behind this phenomenon? Many thanks!

RolandD
10-30-2016, 11:09 PM
Are you touching any part of the slide when this occurs? It could be a weak recoil spring, but more likely you're impeding the slide, somehow.

marshal kane
10-31-2016, 07:48 AM
I noticed that you DID sand the magazine feed lips but have you examined any of your spent cases to see if the sides of the cases exhibit scratches? If so, you need to look at the feed lips again. I burnished my P9 feed lips with the shank of a drill bit and could tell that the stainless steel Kahr uses in their magazines is some pretty tough metal. Prior to that, my cases exhibited scratches indicating that burrs on the magazine feed lips were preventing the recoil spring from stripping the rounds smoothly out of my magazines. My burrs were found on the inside edges of the feed lips. I can now strip the rounds out of my magazines with my thumb almost effortlessly.

wyntrout
10-31-2016, 10:38 AM
Check the case mouth rim to see if it is prominent enough to catch in the chamber. I have problems with Fiocchi 170-gr .40 TMJ. The rims of the case mouth are quite square and noticeably catch on my finger as it is dragged over the rim... just a thought. That seems to be why my P40 was half chambering those rounds. Just pulling the slide back far enough to relieve the forward pressure, there would be a click as the round then slipped under the extractor claw and when the slide was released the round would chamber easily with just the remaining slide travel.

YMMV

Wynn

jkrich2
10-31-2016, 09:17 PM
Are you touching any part of the slide when this occurs? It could be a weak recoil spring, but more likely you're impeding the slide, somehow.

Not touching or impeding the slide in any way. The issue once again occurred in the hands of another shooter, so I'm assuming it is gun-related.

I noticed that you DID sand the magazine feed lips but have you examined any of your spent cases to see if the sides of the cases exhibit scratches? If so, you need to look at the feed lips again. I burnished my P9 feed lips with the shank of a drill bit and could tell that the stainless steel Kahr uses in their magazines is some pretty tough metal. Prior to that, my cases exhibited scratches indicating that burrs on the magazine feed lips were preventing the recoil spring from stripping the rounds smoothly out of my magazines. My burrs were found on the inside edges of the feed lips. I can now strip the rounds out of my magazines with my thumb almost effortlessly.

Not to my knowledge. I shoot at an indoor range, so it can be difficult to keep track of whose cases are whose. However, after sanding, I was advised to look out for scratched cases, and no cases that managed to land on my table showed any signs of scratching. The next time I head to the range, I'll make sure to keep better track of my cases to confirm.

Check the case mouth rim to see if it is prominent enough to catch in the chamber. I have problems with Fiocchi 170-gr .40 TMJ. The rims of the case mouth are quite square and noticeably catch on my finger as it is dragged over the rim... just a thought. That seems to be why my P40 was half chambering those rounds. Just pulling the slide back far enough to relieve the forward pressure, there would be a click as the round then slipped under the extractor claw and when the slide was released the round would chamber easily with just the remaining slide travel.

Hadn't considered this - I've experienced this issue with several brands of ammunition, but I'll double check the next time I head to the range.

Many thanks for all the feedback!

dhenze
11-01-2016, 05:13 AM
When I switched over to MagGuts for my CW380 magazines, my feed problems pretty much disappeared, thanks to excellent recommendations in this forum.

marshal kane
11-01-2016, 08:57 AM
. . .Not to my knowledge. I shoot at an indoor range, so it can be difficult to keep track of whose cases are whose. However, after sanding, I was advised to look out for scratched cases, and no cases that managed to land on my table showed any signs of scratching. The next time I head to the range, I'll make sure to keep better track of my cases to confirm. . .

No need to go to a range to test for scratched cases. Just fully load cartridges into your mag(s) and push your thumb against the base of the top cartridge to strip off the rounds. Examine the case(s) for scratches along the case walls. Scratches indicate resistance of the feed lips to allow the case to be stripped out of the magazine smoothly and it robs the recoil spring of the power it needs to feed cartridges into the chamber.

CPTKILLER
11-01-2016, 09:04 AM
Magazine issues are the bane of any semi or full auto weapon.

jkrich2
11-03-2016, 11:02 AM
No need to go to a range to test for scratched cases. Just fully load cartridges into your mag(s) and push your thumb against the base of the top cartridge to strip off the rounds. Examine the case(s) for scratches along the case walls. Scratches indicate resistance of the feed lips to allow the case to be stripped out of the magazine smoothly and it robs the recoil spring of the power it needs to feed cartridges into the chamber.

I gave this a shot and, sure enough, the left feed lips on 2 of my 3 magazines left scratches when unloading fully loaded magazines - guess I have a bit more sanding to do! I'll give it another go and see if that solves it for me. Thanks for your help!

marshal kane
11-04-2016, 09:38 AM
You're welcome! When you can thumb push rounds out of your magazines and they display no scratches, then you know you've taken out all of the burrs in the feed lips. The three magazines that came with my new P9 all initially scratched the side walls of my rounds as did another factory magazine that I purchased from MidwayUSA. Prior to burnishing the feed lips, all magazines produced fail-to-chamber problems. The stainless that Kahr uses in their magazines is some good stuff, I just wish they did a better job of polishing the feed lips. Hope this solves your chambering problems, if not, let us know and we will try to help further.

jkrich2
11-09-2016, 07:57 PM
That did it - thanks again!

marshal kane
11-10-2016, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the feedback, always a great feeling when you can help out another shooter!