PDA

View Full Version : Never ever say never ever again...

b4uqzme
11-19-2016, 03:50 PM
Well,

My first Kahrs were all stainless: MK9 and K40. They are beautiful guns and great shooters. I told myself I would never need a polymer Kahr...these guns are too good. And I'd never sell them.

But Kahr doesn't make a stainless framed gun in .45. So I settled for a CM45. I had to admit it's kinda nice having a .45cal gun about the same size as my K40 yet lighter. Hmmmmmm.

When summer came around this year it seemed a good idea to have a lighter gun (than the MK9) so I rationalized myself a PM9. That's where the trouble started. The PM9 spoiled me. I carried it every day. Everything else remained in the safe. Even as the weather turned colder and I expected to resume carrying the K40...I carried the PM9.

Then came the straw that broke the camel's back. A LGS had a nice P40 DLC with night sights. My mind started racing...calculating...figuring. Why not? These are my working guns. I might as well carry what works best. I bought the P40.

But I wasn't done yet. I sold the treasured MK9, K40 (mamma don't need no safe queens) and even the CM45.

Then I bought a new CW45 to add to the PM9 and P40. It kept nagging me that a CW45 grip, using officers mags, was no longer than the CM45 grip and looked a whole lot better. I got some officers mags inbound.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I think I'm set for awhile although I will miss those beautiful stainless guns. Bottom line: I had to update my signature. Figured I'd bring y'all up to date too.

^^^ this post is dedicated to Wynn who I thought was nuts when he sold his K9 and went all polymer. My apologies.

Bawanna
11-19-2016, 05:21 PM
I found a new appreciation for my PM45 this week as well. I spent a few days with my wife in the hospital where they keep the room about 90 degrees. First day I wore my empty ankle holster and the PM45 IWB in my Garrett Silent Thunder, thinking if I got too bloody hot I'd just switch to the ankle and put the Garrett in my bag.
It carried so well and comfy that the second day I just left my shirt untucked and worked just fine. I do the same with my 1911's of course but the PM45 was like nothing there.
Sitting full time the 1911 doesn't really bother me on the belt but that little PM45 was real comfy.

Might reside more on my hip that it has in the past.

CJB
11-19-2016, 05:28 PM
Any .45 is good to have (almost). A pocketable .45 is even better. A lightweight pocketable .45 is the cat's ass!

Love both of my PM45's. Zero issues after one initial bobble. The PM9 get carried when I need to dress lightly though.

b4uqzme
11-19-2016, 05:32 PM
^^^ I couldn't help noticing that slip about Mrs. Bawanna. I hope all is well...

Kahrs are darn nice guns. And there's nothing wrong with their stainless models in a good holster and with a good belt. But shave a few more ounces, and they carry like a dream.

b4uqzme
11-19-2016, 05:44 PM
I decided to post a pic even with the ugly mag bases. That will be remedied soon. I gotta clean 'em up yet too. I'm looking forward to it. New guns are fun. :o

Bawanna
11-19-2016, 06:29 PM
I just finished stippling a 3rd mag a gracious member here sent me, so it matches the others.
The wood burner isn't nearly as scary as it was the first couple times.
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN6815_zpshakonoda.jpg (http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/hopke5/media/DSCN6815_zpshakonoda.jpg.html)
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN6814_zpsptaiwuod.jpg (http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/hopke5/media/DSCN6814_zpsptaiwuod.jpg.html)
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN6816_zpsapidhzjn.jpg (http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/hopke5/media/DSCN6816_zpsapidhzjn.jpg.html)

AJBert
11-19-2016, 07:33 PM
I understand the advantages of poly firearms, I really do. Heck, I even own one (that I won in a raffle). Guess I'm just too old school as everything else I own is wood and steel, with the exception of my K40.

I like them that way. Purty and functional. Also, all of my holsters and slings are leather.

Well, before the blizzard carry everything off a few years ago.

b4uqzme
11-19-2016, 07:33 PM
^^^ those look good. I just put a flat baseplate on the P40 and it looks much better than the ones it came with IMHO. But I have a few Pearce extensions coming. I like the way they blend with the bottom of the grip. I'll just need to grind them down until I get the shape I want. I'll probably grind them down almost flat. We'll see. But If they don't work, the standard Kahr flat baseplates will most likely do.

b4uqzme
11-19-2016, 07:35 PM
I understand the advantages of poly firearms, I really do. Heck, I even own one (that I won in a raffle). Guess I'm just too old school as everything else I own is wood and steel, with the exception of my K40.

I like them that way. Purty and functional. Also, all of my holsters and slings are leather.

Well, before the blizzard carry everything off a few years ago.

I really did feel the same way for a long time. But I'm glad I came around. It wasn't easy and it's kinda the point of this thread. Never say never. ;)

I'm with you on the leather too. Just way more comfortable than anything else I've tried.

yqtszhj
11-19-2016, 09:58 PM
I like that stipple job. got to get me a good wood burner and try it. My soldering iron tip is too fat.

berettabone
11-23-2016, 04:36 PM
Me thinks you may regret selling the MK............................................:blu shing:

b4uqzme
11-23-2016, 06:30 PM
^^^ She was a beauty I'll give you that. I was more worried about missing it than I was actually using or needing it. But I think I'm OK. Time will tell. ;)

b4uqzme
12-02-2016, 10:05 AM
Well, I'm another 10-12 days in and I'm definitely considering this change an upgrade. No regrets at all. The only modifications I've considered is what to do with the carry magazines/baseplates. (Back-up mags don't really matter to me...the factory Kahr set-ups are fine.) This is what I feel will work best: modified Pearce extension for the 9mm, flat steel Kahr baseplate for the .40 and modified MecGar officers mags for the .45.

Recap: - MK9 - K40 - CM45 (already had a PM9) + P40 + CW45 = three guns I will use pretty much every day :)

Good shooting!