PDA

View Full Version : PM9 Getting a little quirky

Lobo_79
09-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Last couple of trips to the range with my 3 year old PM9 I've had a problem with the top round in the magazine feeding after the first round was fired. I started with a full magazine and one in the chamber. The slide would essentially stay locked back. All three of my magazines did the same thing.

At first I thought my new +5 pound magazine springs may have something to do with it. But they didn't. Then I thought my recoil spring might be weak but that didn't seem to make sense. Even though the gun is three years old it still only has less than 1000 rounds through it. The recoil spring seems every bit a strong as the day it was new.

Upon closer inspection I realized the slide seemed like it might have been binding a little. It didn't seem as smooth as it used to be. When I cleaned it I spent more time than usual on getting the crud out of the slide rails. I used a lot of Polymer Safe Gun Scrubber and a tooth brush. I re-lubed everything with FP10 and the slide is once again stiff though smooth. I'll check it out again this weekend.

The only thing I've done recently was to switch lubricants. A few months back I started using grease on the slide and then I noticed that there seemed to be more slide/frame friction not less. Interestingly, I wanted to try grease because I felt like the normal lubricant (FP10) was dissipating too quickly leaving the gun really dry.

Have I tracked down the wrong rabbit? Is there something else I should try beyond a good cleaning and staying away from grease on the slide?

gearguy
09-03-2009, 02:02 PM
I've always had some issues using the +1 load. After the first round, it fails to feed. I only carry the PM9 with the standard load.

SC Tiger
09-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Was the issue a Failure-to-feed or was the slide stop engaged?

NavJAG06
09-03-2009, 05:11 PM
What type of ammo were you using when you experience the problem? Is the feed ramp clean and polished?

Lobo_79
09-04-2009, 03:08 AM
Was the issue a Failure-to-feed or was the slide stop engaged?

It appeared to have been a genuine FTF. When I popped the magazine out I noticed the top round was slightly nose down in the magazine.

Lobo_79
09-04-2009, 03:10 AM
What type of ammo were you using when you experience the problem? Is the feed ramp clean and polished?

I was shooting Winchester 124 gr NATO rounds, and the feed ramp was clean and smooth.

Lobo_79
09-04-2009, 03:23 AM
I've always had some issues using the +1 load. After the first round, it fails to feed. I only carry the PM9 with the standard load.
I thought that too and then I contacted Dave at Wolff Springs. He indicated there were several likely causes ranging from weak recoil springs to not offering a sufficient opposing force during the recoil cycle. He was being polite. His observation was that the small form factor semi-autos were very sensitive to your grip technique, ammo issues, lubricants, and spring quality. That pretty much covers the territory.

I've had good luck with the heavier duty magazine springs especially in my XD45. However, I bought some new springs from the Kahr site. I'll check them out this weekend.

kpm9
09-04-2009, 07:44 AM
I'm curious, how many rounds through your PM9?

dollarguy
09-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Greetings to the Forum!

This is my first posting here.

I shot my new PM 9094NA yesterday for the second time. Total rounds are now 300 with not one failure to feed or fire. My rounds have been FMJ 115 gr and 124 gr, and JHP +P 115 gr.

I was pleasantly surprised in the low intensity of the muzzle flip and recoil. I had expected the small PM9 to exceed the flip/recoil of my XDM 9mm, but it did not. Could one of the more experienced users of the PM9 explain why?

My issue now is the physical struggle with the field stripping/reassembly of the PM9 for cleaning. Today will be the second time for the PM9 when I clean all my weapons. Thinking back, I did go through a learning process with the XDM before it felt easy.

My next step is to find a proper holster for conceal/carrying the PM9. I would appreciate all thoughts and suggestions from those of you already CC'ing a PM9. At the moment, I am looking over the Crossbreed MiniTuck in horsehide.

dollarguy :)

Shipyard
09-04-2009, 08:28 AM
i have a pm 9 and had the same issue for the first 600 - 700 rounds. i would fire the first round with a full mag +1 and the second round would actually catch on the feedramp at a perfect 90 degree angle straight forward and fail to feed. i polished the feedramp and adjusted the lips on my mags but nothing seemed to help.

i've since crossed the 700 round mark and have not seen an issue since. seems a LONG break in period for a 9mm but from people i've talked to it doesn't seem too out of the ordinary for the PM series.

SC Tiger
09-04-2009, 11:23 AM

I've had good luck the few times I've tried it but since I typically shoot my PM9 with just 6 (lock and load and not topped off) in it I carry that way. If I try it more with the +1 then I'll start carrying that way, but in the meantime I'd rather have 6 I know will work than have 7 that might.

That said try this - the next time you shoot after you top up the mag pull the slide back about 3/8" (like you are doing a chamber check) and let it go. This moves the second round (top in the mag) slightly forward and may help.

Lobo_79
09-04-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm curious, how many rounds through your PM9?

It's less than a 1000 probably closer to 750. It has actually worked without a fault since it was new. I was especially amazed that it worked well with 147 grain Golden Sabre's too.

I'm really thinking this issue was my fault for not cleaning it thoroughly enough. I'll know more this weekend.