PDA

View Full Version : My wife gave me my first Kahr today & have some questions I need help with

TheManInTally
12-25-2016, 07:47 PM
Merry Christmas Everyone!

First Post on the Forum :-)

I have been lurking around here for a couple of months and registered today after my wife gave me my Christmas Present. I got a Kahr PM9 with night sights, LCI & Safety (Safety wasn't my choice (especially since I am a lefty) but she felt better about getting it just in case she or I wanted to use it.)

I read the owners manual thoroughly and re read several parts of it.
After that, I racked the slide and worked with it for probably 30 to 50 slide pulls to get a feel for it. My hands looked like I had been playing in a craft store glitter aisle with all the silver glints of metal from it so after getting comfortable with it I decided it was time to strip it, inspect it, clean it and oil it.

I a so glad I have been reading the forum and already knew it would be a bear to get the pin out. It was but I was ready and used the nylon handle of a screw driver. I also used a fiberglass mini pry tool used to open automotive dashes, door panels, etc. to pull out the pin a little more because it is tight even after relieving the the pressure with the slide. I also did not expect that much tension on the spring (even though I had read when new it could be under a lot of force but I was able to remove it without damage to it or myself/property.

Upon inspection of the grip housing is were my first questions come in. Since I am new here I am not sure of my photo posting rights and haven't really looked into the bandwidth etiquette of the forum (My Walther forum is a bandwidth Nazi) So I hope it is OK to include embedded pic from photobucket...

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/mahicks/kahrvert.jpeg (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/mahicks/media/kahrvert.jpeg.html)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/mahicks/kahrhoriz.jpeg (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/mahicks/media/kahrhoriz.jpeg.html)

Please review the photos and here are the questions I have:

1. When looking at the left side of the grip housing there is a VERY clear bulge, disproportionate symmetry, etc on the left side vs. the right on both the polymer of the housing and the amount of metal of the slide rails. The picture doesn't do any justice to this but when I was trying to show my wife something else she immediately asked me "why is that bulged out right there?"
2. There is MUCH more exposed metal on the left rail than the right rail. Is this normal?
3. The left rail has a "witness mark"/missing material about a half of an inch from the top that can be seen in the picture. Is this normal?
4. You can see some of the polymer burring at the very top left of the polymer grip and if you look closely, at the bottom of the right rail about 1/2 inch up. Of course I can remove the left side easily but I want to let you know that the right side had a big "glob" of polymer where you see the burring that I removed with my fingernail. Are these type of production issues normal? Should I sand down (lightly of course) the rough plastic that is now left on the right? The "glob" was not due to manufacturing in itself. It was clearly created due to friction between the moving parts. I should have kept it and took a picture but did not. It the same type of glob you would get when using a dremel or drill on plastic.
5. There is alot of tooling/stamping AND wear marks & irregularities happening already on the metal rails that you can see in the photos and I can see and feel greater in person. Should I sand/polish this away?

Finally,
My last question. When I was reviewing the manual thoroughly I also read the warranty on the back of it. I had seen that Kahrs used to have a lifetime warranty to the original owner when I was researching CCW guns but had also seen online and on the forum that the warranty for the new ones is only for 5 years. Also, the Kahr website says 5 years. HOWEVER.....My Manual that is copyrighted 2016 clearly states on the back cover warranty that "Kahr arms agrees to correct for five years any defect in the Kahr Value Series to the original purchaser" in the second paragraph.
The third paragraph though states " Kahr arms agrees to correct for the LIFETIME any defect in the Kahr Premium Series or the Kahr Gen2 Premium Series to the original purchaser"

So which is it? The PM9is clearly listed as premium series (Even on the front page of the manual) so I would assume it has a lifetime warranty. What are your thoughts on this?

Thank You In Advance For Your Help!
Michael in Tallahassee,FL

Bawanna
12-25-2016, 08:09 PM
The buldge you mention is normal, no concern. The excess pieces of polymer as you say can be carefully trimmed with an exacto or sanded.

The witness mark is indeed just that. It's there to correctly orient the metal to the polymer. The rails are actually one continuous piece, not just a little chunk stuck in the frame.

I've not noticed on the warranty, I thought they all had gone to 5 years but I got nothing solid to back that up with.

For some reason I'm unable to open your pictures. to see much more exposed metal on the left side. Will have to wait till somebody can see that.

TheManInTally
12-25-2016, 08:39 PM
The buldge you mention is normal, no concern. The excess pieces of polymer as you say can be carefully trimmed with an exacto or sanded.

The witness mark is indeed just that. It's there to correctly orient the metal to the polymer. The rails are actually one continuous piece, not just a little chunk stuck in the frame.

I've not noticed on the warranty, I thought they all had gone to 5 years but I got nothing solid to back that up with.

For some reason I'm unable to open your pictures. to see much more exposed metal on the left side. Will have to wait till somebody can see that.

Thank You for the info! here are the Pics another way and I hope this is OK here..

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/mahicks/kahrvert.jpeg (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/mahicks/media/kahrvert.jpeg.html)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/mahicks/kahrhoriz.jpeg (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/mahicks/media/kahrhoriz.jpeg.html)

TheManInTally
12-25-2016, 08:45 PM
Here is a pic of the warranty on the back of the manual. Second & Third paragraph are the most important..
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/mahicks/kahrpm9warranty.jpeg (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/mahicks/media/kahrpm9warranty.jpeg.html)

Bawanna
12-26-2016, 12:41 AM
OK, that's speaking directly of the Gen2 premium version which I haven't even seen yet. Not sure they are even out.

Were supposed to be but I think they are behind.

Not sure why they would do that but it's wrote down right there for us to read.

TheManInTally
12-26-2016, 04:51 AM
I thought the same thing but I does say Premium Series OR Kahr Gen2. Also, the front of the manual clearly lists The Value and Premium models and pictures and the PM is under the Premium Series section on the cover. very interesting.

yqtszhj
12-26-2016, 06:37 AM
The gun looks ok. I'd go shoot it and enjoy it.

I see what you mean about the "premium series" statement. Looks like they may cover "PM" series for the lifetime.

Be at ease though, the few of us that have had problems with our pistols kahr has stepped up and taken care of it. Of my 5 Kahrs i had a frame problem with a CW45 after 1000+ rounds and kahr replaced the frame at no cost. The gun functioned fine but the frame issue was so ething they wanted to resolve and kahr handled it, and that was after 4+ years.

Welcome to the forum.

dustnchips
12-26-2016, 07:49 AM
Looks to me like it is the premium AND gen2 premium that have the lifetime coverage. I'd say the gun is fine, but you should go through the items listed on the New Gun Prep sticky. Also go through the Kahr Lube sticky. Then go shoot it and enjoy it. All of the things you have seen on close examination will disappear from your mind once you have shot it.

TheManInTally
12-26-2016, 09:16 AM
Thanks everyone for the info. Yes I have already read the info on the forum and will continue the process when I get home. I'm a gun scrubber guy so I am going to use that on everything and then us my Mpro7 cleaner, oil and grease products on it as described in the other thread and then start pre breaking it in. I also plan to break down and clean the 2 6 round mags and the three others she got me from Khar and check those too. I don't plan on training with the extended mag so therefore I won't use it so I'm just going to leave it in the box.

gb6491
12-26-2016, 09:49 AM
Merry Christmas Everyone!

First Post on the Forum :-)

I have been lurking around here for a couple of months and registered today after my wife gave me my Christmas Present. I got a Kahr PM9 with night sights, LCI & Safety (Safety wasn't my choice (especially since I am a lefty) but she felt better about getting it just in case she or I wanted to use it.)

I read the owners manual thoroughly and re read several parts of it.
After that, I racked the slide and worked with it for probably 30 to 50 slide pulls to get a feel for it. My hands looked like I had been playing in a craft store glitter aisle with all the silver glints of metal from it so after getting comfortable with it I decided it was time to strip it, inspect it, clean it and oil it.

I a so glad I have been reading the forum and already knew it would be a bear to get the pin out. It was but I was ready and used the nylon handle of a screw driver. I also used a fiberglass mini pry tool used to open automotive dashes, door panels, etc. to pull out the pin a little more because it is tight even after relieving the the pressure with the slide. I also did not expect that much tension on the spring (even though I had read when new it could be under a lot of force but I was able to remove it without damage to it or myself/property.

Upon inspection of the grip housing is were my first questions come in. Since I am new here I am not sure of my photo posting rights and haven't really looked into the bandwidth etiquette of the forum (My Walther forum is a bandwidth Nazi) So I hope it is OK to include embedded pic from photobucket...

Please review the photos and here are the questions I have:

1. When looking at the left side of the grip housing there is a VERY clear bulge, disproportionate symmetry, etc on the left side vs. the right on both the polymer of the housing and the amount of metal of the slide rails. The picture doesn't do any justice to this but when I was trying to show my wife something else she immediately asked me "why is that bulged out right there?"
2. There is MUCH more exposed metal on the left rail than the right rail. Is this normal?
3. The left rail has a "witness mark"/missing material about a half of an inch from the top that can be seen in the picture. Is this normal?
4. You can see some of the polymer burring at the very top left of the polymer grip and if you look closely, at the bottom of the right rail about 1/2 inch up. Of course I can remove the left side easily but I want to let you know that the right side had a big "glob" of polymer where you see the burring that I removed with my fingernail. Are these type of production issues normal? Should I sand down (lightly of course) the rough plastic that is now left on the right? The "glob" was not due to manufacturing in itself. It was clearly created due to friction between the moving parts. I should have kept it and took a picture but did not. It the same type of glob you would get when using a dremel or drill on plastic.
5. There is alot of tooling/stamping AND wear marks & irregularities happening already on the metal rails that you can see in the photos and I can see and feel greater in person. Should I sand/polish this away?

Finally,
My last question. When I was reviewing the manual thoroughly I also read the warranty on the back of it. I had seen that Kahrs used to have a lifetime warranty to the original owner when I was researching CCW guns but had also seen online and on the forum that the warranty for the new ones is only for 5 years. Also, the Kahr website says 5 years. HOWEVER.....My Manual that is copyrighted 2016 clearly states on the back cover warranty that "Kahr arms agrees to correct for five years any defect in the Kahr Value Series to the original purchaser" in the second paragraph.
The third paragraph though states " Kahr arms agrees to correct for the LIFETIME any defect in the Kahr Premium Series or the Kahr Gen2 Premium Series to the original purchaser"

So which is it? The PM9is clearly listed as premium series (Even on the front page of the manual) so I would assume it has a lifetime warranty. What are your thoughts on this?

Thank You In Advance For Your Help!
Michael in Tallahassee,FL
Welcome to the forums:)

To address your concerns:
1. As folks have stated, there is a "bulging" of the frame's dust cover on Kahr poly pistols that is considered "normal". With the slide in place, the bulge is slightly asymmetrical on my CW9, CW45 and P380: all have sightly more material to the left.
2. The rails on my poly Kahrs seem about equal to me. That yours don't may or may not be of concern. How much engagement do the rails on your pistol have side to side with the slide?
Here's what my CW9 and CW45 look like with the slide locked back:
http://i43.tinypic.com/504qwl.jpg
It's difficult to show (in a photo) the engagement with the slide forward, but you should be able to see it in person with a flashlight.
3. Bawanna's reply to this was spot on.
4. If you are talking about the polymer in this area:
http://i64.tinypic.com/2wlsgf5.jpg
I'd clean it up. Some care needs to be taken when installing the slide as it's easy to mar the poly if the slide isn't centered when you start to slide it on.
5. I wouldn't mess those rails or I would at least wait until I had several boxes of rounds down range to evaluate if they need any TLC.

As to the warranty, I'd give Kahr a call for the definitive word. I'm of the same mind as Bawanna in thinking they all went to 5 years (FWIW, the Kahr website says this: "Each Kahr pistol is backed by Kahr Arm's Five Year Limited Warranty. We stand by our product." http://www.kahr.com/kahr-customer-service.asp

Regards,
Greg

BTW, congrats on the new PM9!

TheManInTally
12-26-2016, 06:14 PM
Welcome to the forums:)

To address your concerns:
1. As folks have stated, there is a "bulging" of the frame's dust cover on Kahr poly pistols that is considered "normal". With the slide in place, the bulge is slightly asymmetrical on my CW9, CW45 and P380: all have sightly more material to the left.
2. The rails on my poly Kahrs seem about equal to me. That yours don't may or may not be of concern. How much engagement do the rails on your pistol have side to side with the slide?
Here's what my CW9 and CW45 look like with the slide locked back:
http://i43.tinypic.com/504qwl.jpg
It's difficult to show (in a photo) the engagement with the slide forward, but you should be able to see it in person with a flashlight.
3. Bawanna's reply to this was spot on.
4. If you are talking about the polymer in this area:
http://i64.tinypic.com/2wlsgf5.jpg
I'd clean it up. Some care needs to be taken when installing the slide as it's easy to mar the poly if the slide isn't centered when you start to slide it on.
5. I wouldn't mess those rails or I would at least wait until I had several boxes of rounds down range to evaluate if they need any TLC.

As to the warranty, I'd give Kahr a call for the definitive word. I'm of the same mind as Bawanna in thinking they all went to 5 years (FWIW, the Kahr website says this: "Each Kahr pistol is backed by Kahr Arm's Five Year Limited Warranty. We stand by our product." http://www.kahr.com/kahr-customer-service.asp

Regards,
Greg

BTW, congrats on the new PM9!

Greg,

Thank you for your post and information. I finished my initial inspection/clean/lube/grease on the rails of the slide following the Kahr Manual and what I have read here in the pre prep of a new Kahr. Here is what I have discovered.

1. Yes, the chewed up areas on the back of the slide rail of the polymer grip were noticed (the ones you bracketed in red) but I was more concerned with some serious material removal/displacement/replacement that was on the right rail about a half inch up from the top of the red on your bracket. Eitherway, I decided that Khar build it for a reason like they did so I just took a few different Hoppes plastic picks and gently scrapped off and removed anything along the housing that didn't see to be "factory" that would let me do so. I wanted to clean up the bracketed area you showed me but I had no idea what the original geometry of those rails are supposed to look like so I moved on. FWIW. I agree about careful alignment when reassembling the firearm but do understand, this "damage" wasn't done by me. I had never removed the slide until right before the photo was taken and only put the firearm back together tonight.

2. I reviewed your pictures on the metal rails of the slide on your firearm. Here are are mine. I am concerned with the large gap on mine on the right hand side but am even more concerned with the left side having absolutely no gap. I guess that is where all the fine metal glitter all over my hands again tonight is coming from possibly?......(and sorry, I am not as good of a photographer as you are sir.)
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/mahicks/kahrpm9slideview.jpeg (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/mahicks/media/kahrpm9slideview.jpeg.html)

3. Kahr & the forum should do a disclaimer that reads "Make absolutely sure that the LCI red paint does not come in contact of liquid, vapor or anything else that is emitted from GunScrubber/Brake Cleaner." I use GunScrubber and while I sure I took steps to keep most of the liquid from sitting on the slide anywhere while I cleaned the striker channel, the vapor or small amount of liquid that did touch the LCI immediately removed every single trace of red paint in the "Indicator" engraving! I then took extra careful precautions to protect the red dot of paint on the safety!

Bobshouse
12-26-2016, 08:08 PM
The plastic guides on your kahr are there to assist in reassembly, they are not really needed for proper operation of the firearm. After you shoot it a couple hundred rounds or so, scrape off the shreaded polymer and you probably wont be bothered by it anymore.

Watch that Gunscrubber stuff, it will melt your gun. The gunscrubber sold in California wont, thanks to our chemical regulations here.

TheManInTally
12-27-2016, 05:28 PM
Thank you for the info on the poly rails. As for the gun scrubber, I haven't had a problem before on poly and I did spray some and let it sit on the inside of the grip housing between the rails to see if it would do anything and it didn't. I have had it discolor the "bluing" on night sites so I actually taped those with painters tape when I did it last night. I find gun scrubber and brake cleaner to be the same except different brands smell a little different with gun scrubber and autozones brake cleaner smelling about the same.

Bawanna
12-27-2016, 07:53 PM
I think they took all the good stuff out of gun scrubber about the same time they did it to brake cleaner.

California no doubt said it was bad for folks so it goes the way of the dinesaw.

Like paint. Take away the lead and you paint often, I think it's a conspiracy myself. Where's my tin foil hat.

gb6491
12-27-2016, 10:55 PM
TheManInTally,
I suggest you contact Kahr customer service about your concerns (ask them to review your photos). They may tell you that the rails are functional as they are or they may want you to send it in (the former is my guess).
As to the metal glitter:
1. You could be correct about it coming off the rails
2. It could be debris from test firing (flaked primers or brass)
3. Kahr barrels are nickle plated, perhaps some of that has come off.
4. Anywhere moving metal parts contact each other could be potential causes.

Thanks for heads up on the paint coming off the LCI. That's the first time I've read of it, but I'd also say we don't seem to have much discussion of the LCI here.

Regards,
Greg

TheManInTally
12-28-2016, 05:27 PM
Greg,
Thanks so much for the information. I am really enjoying everyones help and information. I am going to contact Khar just to see. I still plan on shooting it this weekend if they are good with it. I have noticed a few other concerns that all add up to me contacting them and inquiring on top of the rail tolerance differences on each side.
1. After racking the slide back and letting it go forward there is a very noticeable "BUMP", "grab" & Jump in the motion of the slide. If you rack yours back and move the slide forward, all of this goes on at about the same point the witness mark on the slide is on and passing the "M" in Kahr ArMs" on the grip housing. This is also the area on the left rail that is kind of chewed up before the "witness" mark on that insert that I talked about in an earlier post. Am I overthinking this? Let me know anyone if you have time to check yours.
2. Noticed Slide does not sit evenly on the grip housing. Do not have a caliper to check but I can get 4 sheets+ of paper under the front of the slide and only 1 near the back. You can see daylight easily on the front. You can also easily push down gently on the slide and see it go down in the front. Normal?
3. Just like the LCI, I am sure that there has been even less talk about the safety. I don't plan on using it but wife insisted as stated in earlier post. Concerned with the safety engaged and weapon cocked or not when pulling the trigger sometimes the trigger will hang half way through when you release it. It is PAST the breakpoint so I do not know if that is an issue or if someone could have this happen and then take the safety off and BANG. I know this wont happen with me but seems odd that it comes up and repeats regularly but not all the time.

Thanks for the info on the metal glitter. Just so you know I have cleaned it twice since I have broken it down twice (full clean, gun scrubber, Mpro 7 cleaner, re greased, lubed, etc.) and still get the glitter. I know it is a new gun so this will go away and since this is my first Kahr and they require a break in period I am fine with the glitter. Just wanted to make sure that you knew I cleaned my weapon well..twice...there ain't no factory anything left on that baby! :-)

gb6491
12-28-2016, 06:58 PM
Greg,
Thanks so much for the information. I am really enjoying everyones help and information. I am going to contact Khar just to see. I still plan on shooting it this weekend if they are good with it. I have noticed a few other concerns that all add up to me contacting them and inquiring on top of the rail tolerance differences on each side.
1. After racking the slide back and letting it go forward there is a very noticeable "BUMP", "grab" & Jump in the motion of the slide. If you rack yours back and move the slide forward, all of this goes on at about the same point the witness mark on the slide is on and passing the "M" in Kahr ArMs" on the grip housing. This is also the area on the left rail that is kind of chewed up before the "witness" mark on that insert that I talked about in an earlier post. Am I overthinking this? Let me know anyone if you have time to check yours.
2. Noticed Slide does not sit evenly on the grip housing. Do not have a caliper to check but I can get 4 sheets+ of paper under the front of the slide and only 1 near the back. You can see daylight easily on the front. You can also easily push down gently on the slide and see it go down in the front. Normal?
3. Just like the LCI, I am sure that there has been even less talk about the safety. I don't plan on using it but wife insisted as stated in earlier post. Concerned with the safety engaged and weapon cocked or not when pulling the trigger sometimes the trigger will hang half way through when you release it. It is PAST the breakpoint so I do not know if that is an issue or if someone could have this happen and then take the safety off and BANG. I know this wont happen with me but seems odd that it comes up and repeats regularly but not all the time.

Thanks for the info on the metal glitter. Just so you know I have cleaned it twice since I have broken it down twice (full clean, gun scrubber, Mpro 7 cleaner, re greased, lubed, etc.) and still get the glitter. I know it is a new gun so this will go away and since this is my first Kahr and they require a break in period I am fine with the glitter. Just wanted to make sure that you knew I cleaned my weapon well..twice...there ain't no factory anything left on that baby! :-)
1. I don't have a CM/PM series pistol anymore to verify this, but the point of the slide's travel you described might be where the barrel cams up and into battery. I wouldn't worry about it at this point, but you might consider putting a little grease on spots 1 and 6 as shown on the lube chart:
http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?308-Kahr-Lube-Diagram (http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?308-Kahr-Lube-Diagram)
2. My poly Kahrs have the same kind of gap front to rear as you described (to varying degrees), but I don't see much change if I push down gently on the slide. There was/is an issue with some CW45 frames that you might want to read on, but I know of no reported instances of this on other caliber Kahr pistols.
http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?1612-CW45-%28and-other-poly-45%29-issues-and-fixes&p=306968#post306968 (http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?1612-CW45-%28and-other-poly-45%29-issues-and-fixes&p=306968#post306968)
3. I've no experience with the safety versions of Kahr's line.

Regards,
Greg

TheManInTally
12-28-2016, 07:42 PM
I very thoroughly oiled spots 1 & 6 both times but did not use grease. Will do that when I break her down again in another 100 or so slide racks. She is starting to break in a good bit and I can feel the spring starting to set and get easier. I will look into CW45 frame issue you talked about though.

marshal kane
12-31-2016, 09:43 AM
The front of my P9 receiver bulges much like yours but is a bit more asymmetrical as it bulges on both sides. This is normal and shouldn't interfere with the functionality of your pistol. The Kahr was NOT meant to be a target pistol, so the slide will not be fitted tightly between the receiver and slide. In fact, just about the only places where my slide contacts metal are the stainless steel slide guides at the front of the receiver and the two small stainless steel plates at the rear. The polymer frame rails molded into the receiver exhibit no wear whatsoever with my slide. I would suggest you break in your pistol first and while doing so, note any problems you may encounter, then either bring them up to this site or contact Kahr since your pistol is still under warranty. Should you have any problems with failure to chamber, pick up some of your spent shells and see if they exhibit any scoring on the case walls. My P9 had burrs on the magazine feed lips which required polishing off to eliminate the feed problems. Once done, my P9 is quite reliable and I have put over 2000 rounds through it without any further problems. Congratulations on receiving your new Kahr as it is a great little pistol with a proven track record.

RonW
12-31-2016, 11:38 AM
I should show you pics of my CW40 after 3350 rounds fired thru it... There is hardly any noticeable wear on the poly rails, the steel rails up front and hardly any visible wear on the two steel tabs on the rear of the frame. Absolutely no visible wear on the slide...the only visible "wear", and its basically just a shiny surface is on the inside of the barrel where the slide lock pin rides in, the slide lock pin itself, and the barrel shroud. I clean it after every time its shot with Ballistol, wipe dry and I use frog lube on it. The point is, Kahr's are a very well designed handgun. On a new pistol and every now & then I use Casey Gun scrubber & stick the spray tube in the clean out hole thats under the slide & spray out the striker pin channel. To break down the slide & remove the firing pin, firing pin block, ejector & springs is incredibly simple... I love these guns!

TheManInTally
12-31-2016, 05:13 PM
This is GREAT INFORMATION! I appreciate it. I have pretty much done ever bit of pre prep I could do including racking the slide a couple of hundred times, leaving the slide locked back, completely cleaned it out, greased & oiled properly, etc. and then even just broke it down again tonight and cleaned all the poly crud and metal shavings, etc. from just racking the slide. She is good to go.

Should you have any problems with failure to chamber, pick up some of your spent shells and see if they exhibit any scoring on the case walls. My P9 had burrs on the magazine feed lips which required polishing off to eliminate the feed problems. Once done, my P9 is quite reliable and I have put over 2000 rounds through it without any further problems. Congratulations on receiving your new Kahr as it is a great little pistol with a proven track record.

Do you mean scoring like this??
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/mahicks/YEIz4JCANTgc4l3_bmLEL9WwdQosxiFJpAmumzTNIj8pX92IB. jpeg (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/mahicks/media/YEIz4JCANTgc4l3_bmLEL9WwdQosxiFJpAmumzTNIj8pX92IB. jpeg.html)

I know it is only a snap cap but the scoring cuts well into the metal of the snap cap. This is probably one of the better ones and all of them that I have put in any mag either from the pistol box (2 six rounders) and the 3 others I got from Midway do the same and I have only ran the snap caps through 4 or 5 times.

If this is what your talking about would you recommend some 800 grit sandpaper and then touch it up with my dremel and some flitz?

marshal kane
01-01-2017, 11:03 AM
Yes, that is the scoring that I had on my P9! When the slide comes forward to strip a cartridge out of the magazine, the burrs retard the cartridge from feeding smoothly and feed problems come up when the slide doesn't have enough forward momentum to chamber the round properly.

Depress the follower on the magazine past the inspection holes, then put a rod, nail, etc. through an inspection hole to keep the follower away from the feed lips. Take the shank of a drill bit or any hardened steel rod and burnish the sharp inner edge of the magazine lips. It isn't necessary to burnish the outer edge of the magazine lips. If the drill bit isn't abrasive enough, try 300-400 grit emery paper. DON'T try to remove too much material, you just want to remove the sharp burrs off the inner edge of the magazine lips so that's why I suggest you burnish before sanding. Test your magazine by placing a round in it and strip off the round using your thumb. No need to insert the magazine into your pistol. When the stripped round comes out of the magazine without scratches, no further burnishing or polishing is necessary. You can Dremel if you're careful and that might be even faster but you don't need to Flitz. Repeat with each magazine if you find it scoring the cartridge.

I found burrs on all four of my P9 magazines. Kahr makes a quality magazine but they leave burrs in some of the feed lips.

Bawanna
01-01-2017, 11:48 AM
Marshal nailed this one. A small dowel or a pencil with some fine sandpaper should clean it up nicely.

You might as well take the mag apart at some point to make sure you get no junk in the mag tube.

TheManInTally
01-01-2017, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the info Marshall!

All 5 of my 6 round mags cause the scratching/gouging. I went ahead and started with the worst one which was purchased separately and has the It didn't feel sharp to me but I went at it anyway. I took Bawanna's suggestion and went ahead and field stripped the mag all the way before I started. Them buggers sure do have a strong spring!

I used a steel first on the lips. It was actually hard to do so I switched over to the drill bit (great idea btw.) Since I didn't feel like putting the mag back together after burnishing it I went ahead and went at the lips from the inside with a pencil and some 800 grit sand paper so I didn't remove much/any metal. I figured once it quit grabbing the paper I was done. I then actually used another piece of the 800 grit and used a pencil on the inside of the entire mag. I finished by using the paper on the exterior. It actually shined right up and made a huge difference in how smoothly the mag drops out or gets pushed in. After that I did use my dremel and a little flitz just to shine up and smooth the top face of the follower on a few points that were not smooth.

I then used brake cleaner and blasted out the mag and the spring and carefully inspected the spring for anything that needed attention. It was good. Mpro7 cleaned everything just to be sure it was good and dry and clean and put her back together. Guess what?? NO SCRATCHING. Not on ammo and not even on the snap caps paint. I do notice when just checking the action with snap caps the angled mag does have the issue when loaded to capacity and not using the slide release on the first round or sling shot style that the first round goes in fine but what has happened is the second round has bumped away from the back of the mag well so regardless the second round is going to FTF each time. I am sure it is fine with the slide locked back like the directions are supposed to be. We will see. I am dying to shoot her but only get off on Sundays and since this was a Christmas present on a Sunday and today was New Years, on Sunday...Everyone has been closed! Cant wait. I will report back when I get to break her in. As for now, I got 5 more mags to work on since I may as well just go ahead and do the extended mag too though I plan to never use it.

Bawanna
01-01-2017, 06:10 PM
Those magazines polish up like a brand new penny pretty easy. A dremel with a polishing pad or better a bench grinder with a felt wheel.

I do that to mine and then wax them with car wax, drop out like eggs through a hen. And look cook to boot.

The barrel and hood polish real easy too. The slide, not so much, those things are tough.

TheManInTally
01-01-2017, 06:50 PM
Good Info Bawanna. I was so impressed with just the sanding @ 800 grit on the outside that I wanted to take my polisher to it but I was mostly interested today in correcting the burrs...But you can be sure I am going to go after the rest of them with a dremel for practice with it. I am very good with car paint with orbitals and rotary's so I know what I am doing as far as correcting and over correcting, etc. but I haven't used the dremel much for polishing and not much on a firearm at all. I do not own a bench grinder/polisher (so maybe a trip to amazon or harbor freight is in order...lol..) What would you recommend on the barrel and barrel hood (other than the bench polisher since I do not have it...yet..) Also, that is funny about the car wax. My family laughs at me when I use car polish, wax, etc. on household items.. I just like the slick feel, the protection and how easy it is to keep clean/functioning when an item is well polished.

CPTKILLER
01-02-2017, 07:49 AM
Bulges have happened with Kahr and other brands. My suggestion is to contact Kahr and get it replaced period. This is usually a sign of a serious manufacturing defect and very bad QA.

Bawanna
01-02-2017, 09:23 AM
I can't tell if this is tongue in cheek or serious. Every polymer Kahr delivered has those bulges. Its part of the design. No concern whatsoever.....

TheManInTally
01-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Bulges have happened with Kahr and other brands. My suggestion is to contact Kahr and get it replaced period. This is usually a sign of a serious manufacturing defect and very bad QA.

??? Seriously or are you just playing around?