PDA

View Full Version : Did Kahr Change Their Magazine Followers for the PM9? Photo difference attached

TheManInTally
12-29-2016, 08:12 PM
Hello All,

I posted under the New Member section on Christmas when My wife gave me my new PM9 with night sights, LCI & Safety for Christmas. You can read my posts there about a few issues and questions if you like but I felt my newest question/finding has to do with the factory magazines that came with my PM9 vs. the 3 extra ones that are official Khar Mags that I just bought from Midway. All are stamped 9-6 Kahr and are 6+1 round magazines.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/mahicks/20161229_210504.jpg (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/mahicks/media/20161229_210504.jpg.html)

The Magazine on the left is one of two 6 round magazines that came with the new PM9. The Magazine on the left is the the Kahr official MK620 Magazine that I bought three of from Midway that arrived today.

As you can see, the follower is totally different. The one that came with the new PM9 is smooth and has no angles. The ones that were purchased from Midway are angled and have their own "Ramp" built in. The ones that came with the PM9 appear to cradle more of the circumference of the shell than the other one and the original mag seems to have MUCH softer plastic. Also, the metal feed lips on the original magazine are not even across. The left (when holding it away as if it was in the firearm...) is noticeably a little longer than the right. BTW....Disregard that red dot on the factory mag. It is a speck of anodization that came off of a snap cap...

Has anyone else noticed the differences? Any difference in performance or which one seems to work better for feeding? Anyone know which is the older or newer design? I ask because my PM9 also came with a Copyright 2016 manual that states the performance series including the PM has a lifetime warranty which was unusual since we thought when purchasing it that it only had a 5 year warranty so I thought that Mag follower might be newer too....

68Firebird
12-29-2016, 09:06 PM
I just received today two MK820 7rd magazines. One has the angled follower and the other is straight. I used them at the range tonight and both worked as expected. Obviously one is a newer design but I'm not sure which. The 6rd magazine that came with my gun has the angled follower. I bought my CM9 new a couple of weeks ago but I don't know the date of manufacture.

The Lakeline metal replacement followers do not have the angle.

bobandmikako
01-03-2017, 05:30 AM
My PM9, serial # IE5XXX, was purchased in April 2015. I don't know when it was made, but I bought it new. The mags have the follower with the slight angle like the one on the right in the photo.

TheManInTally
01-03-2017, 08:26 PM
Great info. My PM9 serial is IFXXXX but mine came with the magazine on the left. Two of them. 3 if you count the extended mag..

Decado
01-27-2017, 03:06 PM
I hope these new followers hold the last round in when you carry it loose in a pocket.

Texas48
01-27-2017, 08:50 PM
Just bought 2 PM40 mags from eBay with the follower pictured on the left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMag
01-27-2017, 11:31 PM
I hope these new followers hold the last round in when you carry it loose in a pocket.

I've read about that, but never experienced it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dano
02-12-2017, 11:24 AM

They don't.:(I carry my spare mags like this for my PM9, CM9 and P380. They each will lose rounds if carried loose in the pocket.
Take an Unkle Mike's #3 pocket holster and fold down to just below the magazines length. I found this not only keeps the rounds
in the magazine, but keeps the magazines upright and always pointed in the direction I need to place my forefinger along the rounded
edge to guide to the mag well. I do all my carry guns mags that way now. From my Sig P220 down to my Kahr P380, it's the best way
I found to carry a couple extra mags in my weak hand front pocket.
Dano
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/omega5m14/DSCN1943_zpswi90spci.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/omega5m14/media/DSCN1943_zpswi90spci.jpg.html)

OvalNut
02-12-2017, 02:53 PM
They don't.:(I carry my spare mags like this for my PM9, CM9 and P380. They each will lose rounds if carried loose in the pocket.
Take an Unkle Mike's #3 pocket holster and fold down to just below the magazines length. I found this not only keeps the rounds
in the magazine, but keeps the magazines upright and always pointed in the direction I need to place my forefinger along the rounded
edge to guide to the mag well. I do all my carry guns mags that way now. From my Sig P220 down to my Kahr P380, it's the best way
I found to carry a couple extra mags in my weak hand front pocket.
Dano
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/omega5m14/DSCN1943_zpswi90spci.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/omega5m14/media/DSCN1943_zpswi90spci.jpg.html)

That's a nifty idea for carrying spare loaded mags. Thanks!

Tim

ct9kahrtoter
02-12-2017, 04:45 PM
That's a nifty idea for carrying spare loaded mags. Thanks!

TimYeah, I thought the same thing! ;)

AIRret
02-12-2017, 05:24 PM
Dano, what a great idea for pocket carry. I normally carry outside the waistband for the pistol and mags but occasionally do pocket carry…….so thanks for the info.
That's what this forum is all about, sharing information and ideas that work. It benefits the whole crew!

Decado
02-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Great mag setup Dano!

Snowbird
02-12-2017, 08:29 PM
I'm a bit confused by the original post; both times the OP referred to the mag 'on the left'. Which one is on the left? The one we see from the camera's perspective or left from the gun's perspective?

The reason I ask is because I bought two 7-round mags to go with the original 6-rounder that came with my CM9. All three had the humped followers. A couple weeks ago I bought another 6-rounder from a website and it came with the smooth follower, like the one 'on the left' in the OP's photo.

My ONLY issues with this gun have been the occasional failure to slide lock and occasional nose down FTF with the bullet lodged against the bottom of the barrel's feed ramp, a problem I intuitively attribute to the hump on the mag follower. Called Kahr Arms customer service and they said they hadn't changed the follower, so why do some come with the hump and some without? I'd prefer to have OEM Kahr mag followers if they make the gun perform as advertised, but my only other option at this point are the anodized aluminum followers from Lakeline LLC.

TheManInTally
02-19-2017, 02:12 PM
I ran 225 rounds through all 4 of the 6 shot mags today.  Not a single miss feed, failure, anything. It didn't matter if I racked the slide, slingshotted the slide, use the release, 5 rounds, 6 rounds, hell I even mixed mags of WWB, AE, UMC, Speer and had not issues with either type of mag.

Also, this was the FIRST time the PM9 was shot. I did do every break in tip I could find on the forum though.  And I also did some honing and polishing here or there as needed. It and the mags performed flawlessly.

TheManInTally
02-19-2017, 02:36 PM
The left in the picture. Your Left Looking at your screen.