PDA

View Full Version : NEW to the forum

Texas48
12-30-2016, 02:57 PM
I am a new member and just acquired 2 Kahr pistols yesterday. Picked up a used PM40 and a new CM9 and am looking forward to shooting them this weekend. My LGS had an end of the year sale and picked up the PM40 for $300 and traded a Ruger lcr with CT laser straight up for the CM9. Wanting to know if I got a good deal. Any comments and suggestions for someone new to Kahr? I own a number of Glocks and used the Ruger for pocket carry but was not shooting this gun well. The Kahrs fit the pocket well and I am confident that the Kahrs will fit my needs interns of a quality pocket pistol.

skiflydive
12-30-2016, 03:45 PM
Welcome! There's a lot of great info here and a bunch of great people. I can't address whether you got a good deal but my CM9 has been flawless. I have a P380 too that I carry the most.

Texas48
12-30-2016, 04:01 PM
thanks for the welcome skiflydive. Am anxious to fire both of them. I have read a lot about 200 round break in. I have been cycling the slide now for 2 days on my CM9. My last count was about 500 cycles. I amazed at the smoothness of the trigger on these pistols. I know they have a long pull like a revolver, will have to get used to the longer pull since I fire Glocks often. I realize that the revolver pull is a safety feature but being used to having to smooth Glock gritty triggers and their shorter pull I will have to find my grove with the Kahrs.

kwh
12-30-2016, 04:24 PM
Welcome. A great deal on the PM40. I think you will find the CM9 has less muzzle rise than the Ruger. Just as you, I also found the trigger pull on the Kahr's to be sweet. Just takes a little familiarization.
I use my CM9 for every day pocket carry and do not know of another pistol that is better suited for me.
Be sure to read the stickies on lube and break-in. Actual firing is considered the best way to smooth them up. Be cautious of firing them so much the first time that you become "fatigued" and lose form, which can result in user based "malfunctions".
Let us know after your range trip.

Ed M
12-30-2016, 04:38 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Suggest reading the posts on how to prep a kahr in the new member area. Also, see the Kahr lube diagram - it's excellent.

If you do nothing else in the prep section, you really should spray out the striker channel. Birchwood Casey Synthetic Safe Gun Scrubber is the expensive option, but you can also use non-chlorinated brake cleaner. I used the CRC stuff in the green can (50 state formula) I bought at Walmart for $3.47 a can, and it works great.

FYI - racking the slide a gazillion times doesn't do much as far as break in goes. Putting rounds down range is the only way to get those springs broken in.

I think you're gonna be surprised at how well Kahr triggers work for you. Looks like you did well on your deal too!

Enjoy your range session - let us know how it goes....

sharpetop
12-30-2016, 08:12 PM
Welcome! I don't have a CM9 but I do have a PM40. Put a death grip on that 40 to avoid any limp wristing issues. It's shootable but will definitely smack your hand if you're not ready for it. [That's a great price on a PM40]

Bills1873
12-31-2016, 05:47 AM
Welcome, Tex! Looking forward to a range report.

CPTKILLER
12-31-2016, 09:05 AM
Howdy from Austin, Texas!

Texas48
12-31-2016, 12:35 PM
Welcome! I don't have a CM9 but I do have a PM40. Put a death grip on that 40 to avoid any limp wristing issues. It's shootable but will definitely smack your hand if you're not ready for it. [That's a great price on a PM40]
I am used to heavy recoil. I roll my own .40 and 10mm. Shoot the G27 and the G29 a lot so I am not too recoil sensitive. I hesitated buying the PM40 since I have 4 Glocks in that caliber and the small size of the PM40 will be a hoot to shoot with the longer trigger pull. Dry firing I notice that using the tip of my trigger finger helps me to keep front sight stable. I anticipate that I will need a death grip on this little bad boy. Looking forward to Thanks

Texas48
01-02-2017, 12:24 PM
Range report for both of my newly purchased Kahrs. Temp 70 degrees and sunny 56% humidity no wind. Followed the instructions posted for proper break in to the letter. 1st the new CM9. ran smooth as butter with 230 break in rounds. No issues at all using Agulia 124gr and fiocchi 115 gr both FMJ. After the first 2 mags getting used to the trigger and the sights the little CM9 tore up a 6 inch target from 10 yds. Slow fire shots were in the 9 an d 10 ring and rapid fire kept most in the 6 inch target a small number , 10 or so during rapid fire were a couple inches off the 6 inch target. Surprised with the accuracy and very manageable recoil. Now it will be my pocket carry.
The used PM40 ran smooth no issues but the gun was previously broken in when i bought it. Fired about 30 rounds of my .40 ammo. 155gr Hornady XTP with 9.0 gr of Long shot. This load was a lot to handle and a little uncomfortable but kept all on the 6 inch target. No quick followup with this load. I will reduce powder charge and will load some 165gr Gold Dots for my next session. I think that I didn't grip the PM40 tight enough.
My conclusion is that both are good for carry. The sights are great very accurate guns. The CM9 is an excellent pocket gun with a better defensive caliber than the .38 special +P wheel guns I have carried, plus I have 7 rounds instead of 5. I am now officially a fan of the Kahr 9 and 40. Great little guns that are controllable, accurate,concealable, affordable and well made weapons. Thanks for all who posted.