PDA

View Full Version : PM 45 Problems AGAIN: PROBLEMS RESOLVED!!!

jfmay
09-28-2009, 05:13 PM
I was having problems with my brand new PM 45: Spent casings ejecting into my eyes and face and after empting a mag the slide would stay open as it's supposed to but when I inserted the new mag the slide would slam fwd. From what I understand about Kahrs the slide should not release forward?

Sent the pistol back a few weeks ago and they replaced the extractor and ejector with custom parts (to accomodade me being left handed). Worked well for about 100 rds, now shooting brass right back into my eyes and face NOT COOL. Also, the slide is slamming fwd again when I insert a new mag. Anyone have these problems?

This weapon was going to be my carry piece but I have some real concerns at this point. BTW...about 500+ rds fired.:confused:

txpitdog
09-29-2009, 08:41 PM
I haven't had the same problems you've had, but I've had repeated problems with my PM40. The best advice I can give is to stay polite and professional in your request to customer service, and remind Kahr that you will keep sending the pistol back for repairs as a warranty claim until they repair it to function the way a $650 pistol should. Kahr's customer service has been very good in my experience and has paid shipping both times and gotten the pistol back to me in less than a week both times. Surely Kahr must be eating money on these issues. In my case they've replaced the ejector, slide, barrel, springs, and have sent 6 replacement mag followers.

So what exactly did they do as far as the left-handed issue? I'm left handed also. I haven't had any problems with ejected casings, but I'm curious what they changed for left handed people.

jfmay
10-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Still waiting for them to take it to the range an shoot it? I must say that they have been very nice but I'm starting to get tired of the wait.

jocko
10-11-2009, 03:10 AM
I was having problems with my brand new PM 45: Spent casings ejecting into my eyes and face and after empting a mag the slide would stay open as it's supposed to but when I inserted the new mag the slide would slam fwd. From what I understand about Kahrs the slide should not release forward?

Sent the pistol back a few weeks ago and they replaced the extractor and ejector with custom parts (to accomodade me being left handed). Worked well for about 100 rds, now shooting brass right back into my eyes and face NOT COOL. Also, the slide is slamming fwd again when I insert a new mag. Anyone have these problems?

This weapon was going to be my carry piece but I have some real concerns at this point. BTW...about 500+ rds fired.:confused:

NOt sure if you are doing it either but if you slam the magazine in, the slide will release. My G19 does it every time if I slam it in, Inserting it normaly it stays opens.

Some guys like this thing of the slide auto matically closing upon insertion. I can make my PM9 do it every time if I slam it in, otherwise it works great. Just not sure that is a problem.

I am a lefty and on occassions I will get a round on the head from y PM9 but I attribute it to being a lefty also. I am in an area where normally a right hand shooters head is not. Just not sure just how correctable it is to. Hope yours works out OK.

I realize your issues concern you to, and that is fine. I really don't see any reliability issues though.

Good luck and u do have a darn nice kahr there IMO>

jfmay
10-24-2009, 11:02 AM
NOt sure if you are doing it either but if you slam the magazine in, the slide will release. My G19 does it every time if I slam it in, Inserting it normaly it stays opens.

Some guys like this thing of the slide auto matically closing upon insertion. I can make my PM9 do it every time if I slam it in, otherwise it works great. Just not sure that is a problem.

I am a lefty and on occassions I will get a round on the head from y PM9 but I attribute it to being a lefty also. I am in an area where normally a right hand shooters head is not. Just not sure just how correctable it is to. Hope yours works out OK.

I realize your issues concern you to, and that is fine. I really don't see any reliability issues though.

Good luck and u do have a darn nice kahr there IMO>

__________________________________________________ ___________

Got it back last week and am still getting hit hard in the forehead and an occasional shell in the eye (glasses). I'm really concerned about this for obvious reasons. With all the issues I've had with this pistol I don't have any trust in it to carry. I think I made an expensive mistake.
Kahrs been great trying to correct but something just ain't right.

jocko
10-24-2009, 11:21 AM
have u let anyone else shoot it??To see what is happening to them.

500KV
10-24-2009, 11:28 AM
__________________________________________________ ___________

Got it back last week and am still getting hit hard in the forehead and an occasional shell in the eye (glasses). I'm really concerned about this for obvious reasons. With all the issues I've had with this pistol I don't have any trust in it to carry. I think I made an expensive mistake.
Kahrs been great trying to correct but something just ain't right.

Did they cure the mag. release problem ?
I shoot with some lefties and the have the "empty on the noggin" problem with some of their guns as well.
Doesn't really affect the reliability, other than having to dodge the empties. OTOH I guess that could be an accuracy/acquisition problem couldn't it ?
Mine seem to get better the more I shoot them.
I'd put some more rounds through it before giving it up.
It might cure itself.

jfmay
10-24-2009, 12:32 PM
have u let anyone else shoot it??To see what is happening to them.

Nobody wants to shoot it after the saw the cut on my forehead and the chip in my saftey glasses.

jfmay
10-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Did they cure the mag. release problem ?
I shoot with some lefties and the have the "empty on the noggin" problem with some of their guns as well.
Doesn't really affect the reliability, other than having to dodge the empties. OTOH I guess that could be an accuracy/acquisition problem couldn't it ?
Mine seem to get better the more I shoot them.
I'd put some more rounds through it before giving it up.
It might cure itself.

Try to keep your focus on the front sight after an empty .45 hits you in the face and draws blood and another puts a chip in your safety glasses.. The casings come back with a lot of velocity. I shot right handed too and they were close to my head also. I've been shooting for over 20 yrs. and have many handguns and have neve seen this before.

Yes, the mag release problem was corrected. I guess I'll keep trying but I still am affraid to use for every day carry. Thank goodness for my Sig 220 and XD subcompact!!!

500KV
10-24-2009, 01:46 PM
See where your coming from. Never heard of such.
Can't beat that P220.
Don't have an XD but hear they're top notch.

jocko
10-24-2009, 01:55 PM
might be more prevelant in the 45 kahrs than the other caliber. Why that is I have no clue, other than a lefty shooter is more suseptable to getting hit by ejected rounds.

jhiller
10-25-2009, 04:20 AM
I have had the exact same problem with my PM 45. Kahr even replaced the pistol . 50 rounds later it was kicking spent cases directly back into my forehead and safety glasses.
The only rounds that do not eject backwards are Corbon DPX and Remington 185 gr Golden Sabre.
All Speer, Federal and Winchester duty rounds kick straight back.

This seems to be a design defect and occurs to many if not all PM 45 owners after a few hundred rounds. This must be fixed or the pistol should be removed from the market. It is a hazard

BTW mine is back at the factory for a third time

kpm9
10-25-2009, 07:37 AM
I've had the same thing happen with my PM45 and I must say the marks left on the forehead hang around for a day or two. It's quite irratating, so I don't shoot it as often. It did get better after 300+ rounds, but I'm not convinced it's totally gone, so it's the only gun I flinch with, which isn't good.

jocko
10-25-2009, 12:34 PM
I have had the exact same problem with my PM 45. Kahr even replaced the pistol . 50 rounds later it was kicking spent cases directly back into my forehead and safety glasses.
The only rounds that do not eject backwards are Corbon DPX and Remington 185 gr Golden Sabre.
All Speer, Federal and Winchester duty rounds kick straight back.

This seems to be a design defect and occurs to many if not all PM 45 owners after a few hundred rounds. This must be fixed or the pistol should be removed from the market. It is a hazard

BTW mine is back at the factory for a third time

oh come on now "removed from the market a hazard". for some reason lefties are getting nailed with the PM45 far far far more than righties. Hazard, I think not. My G19 hits my head every once in awhile, Hazard?/I don't think so. My Para carry 9 was worse than my G19 was even and it was a 9mm and 1911 style, again I attribute my left hand shooting to being the culprit. No doubt to much will make you flinch, in ur case probably the best thing to do is to trade the gun in when you get it back from kahr if it is not the way you want it.

jhiller
10-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Jocko...
You're probably right that I overstated it a bit but I took one in the forehead that bled all over my face and one that cracked my shooting glasses last time out
The problem created is not just the risk of serious eye injury, which is there if you aren't wearing glasses but the anticipation of the hit causes a flinch.

At my last outing with the pistol using Speer GD 185 gr and speer GD 230 gr Short Barrel rounds roughly 40 out of 60 fired came straight back. That's on pistol number 2 from Kahr.

I shoot left-handed so that may exacerbate the problem but while I have had this happen before with my other pistols over the past 45 years of shooting, never to this extent . It is also a very common complaint of PM45 owners. That's what makes me believe that the problem is inherent in the design

jocko
10-25-2009, 01:34 PM
jhiller: no problem on my end, I totally understand, no doubt this PM45 is not the gun for you and I see no disgrace in that for either u or the gun. I had a Smith M & P 9mm that I had sent off to Dave Bowie for some serious custom work, took 6 months to get it back and what a tremendous difference it was after getting it back, but u know what? That gun just never suited me. I shot it good but there was just something about it that just didn't bend my crank, so I sold it an took a good hit selling it also but when a gun doesn't please me, I just don't hold on to it.the fella that bought it from me thanked for me selling him the finest gun he has ever owned--so go figure???

If I was getting bonked on the head to much with a certain gun and the company seemed to be unable to sooth my fears, I would peddle it. Probalby 99%of all right hand shooters with the PM45 will not incur what we lefties incure.

I had a kt 380 that drove me nuts shooting it, wife could shoot it with zero issues, course she was right handed. My kahr P380 seems to never hit my head, nor does my K9 or MY PM9 for that matter but I attribute that to maybe being a 9mm also. hell who knows..

I think if you sent it back in for the head issues and you get it back, I would test it out and if it is not better, just trade the gun off. IMO ur not trading off a defective handgun, one that doesn't function reliabily. Ur problaby not the frist left hand shooter who has trade in his semi for a revolver either..

bladerunner747
10-25-2009, 01:39 PM
I believe most people do not perceive that as an issue as most of them are right handed, obviously a problem for left handed people.
The slide slamming forward when you insert a new magazine is not that unusual with Glocks, EAA, H&k, etc.... It is OK as long as the gun strips a bullet from the magazine and chambers it OK, ready to rock and roll, not designed to do that but it happens in some guns.

jocko
10-25-2009, 02:36 PM
I believe most people do not perceive that as an issue as most of them are right handed, obviously a problem for left handed people.
The slide slamming forward when you insert a new magazine is not that unusual with Glocks, EAA, H&k, etc.... It is OK as long as the gun strips a bullet from the magazine and chambers it OK, ready to rock and roll, not designed to do that but it happens in some guns.

when u think about it, when you slam a slid ehome you are creating enough reverse enertia to want to move the slide upward a smidgeon and there for the slide lock lever which is attached to the frame itself wants to stay put while the silde it starting to move upward due to the forces of slamming a magazine upward in the gun. Sure makes sense to me how this can happen easily to.

jhiller
10-25-2009, 03:36 PM
I thought about dumping the PM 45 and in the end I may have to. The only other pistol that I've been forced to KO like that was a G 36. It just didn't work for me and Glock replaced it 3 times. The head tech in Smyrna finally called me and said "every damn time we have a problem this bad its with a left handed shooter" !!!!

I have 2 PM9's that have been fluffed and buffed. One by Kahr and the other by Cylinder and Slide. Both are 100% reliable.
The PM45 is a perfect size for carry and its 100% reliable. Kahr has been very willing and even their engineers have gotten involved. And having 45 acp on hand does have a great appeal right now. I live and work in Detroit.

It is true that if I were shooting the pistol with my right hand cases would not not be center forehead. Hopefully the folks at Kahr will sort it out. I have a G 39 but its like carrying a brick and would much prefer the PM45
Onward

jocko
10-25-2009, 04:02 PM
whenu get back the PM45 from kahr give it anothert trial to see if possably they were able to make it work for u. Who knows maybe this time they have ocme upon something tohelp us lefty's out...

let us know one way or the other.

jfmay
10-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Not sure what happend other that it finally "broke in"....but she performed flawlessly today at the range. I would estimate that it took over 600 rounds to get to this point. 100 rds and only a few near misses (my head/face) that I attribute to my grip being a bit to soft on a few shots...but nowhere what I had in the past. Working the slide was much easier and I had no failures at all. I hope I didn' JINX myself and have to eat crow in a few days!

Also, made sure that the extractor and ejector where clean. I don't think this pistol like to be even a little bit dirty. Anyway, it was and always is extremely accurate at 3-5-7-10-15-and 25 yrds. Three more outings like this and I may strap her on my hip in her new Crossbread Minituck. Thanks!!!

jocko
10-25-2009, 04:20 PM
CROW, is good, try mixing alittle wine with it and you won't even notice it was crow. I know from experience. I have eaten alot of crow. Sure glad something worked out ok and that maybe indeed this gun is now up and ready for ccw carry. Sometimes as u well now it takes more than 200 down range to get right. Some never have the patience to give it that chance to please you like u did. Enjoy the 45. to me it is just one hell of a pocket rocket.there is a poster on another forum by the name of Dan O who trade his PM9 after he bought his PM45 and pocket carrys that PM45 with no problems. And he has put thousands of rounds down range also.

reisling white wine goes best with young crows to, medium heat, cook unto brown, then throw the crow away and drink the wine. Oh my heaven on earth..

PM SENT...

jfmay
10-26-2009, 10:12 AM
i was having problems with my brand new pm 45: Spent casings ejecting into my eyes and face and after empting a mag the slide would stay open as it's supposed to but when i inserted the new mag the slide would slam fwd. From what i understand about kahrs the slide should not release forward?

Sent the pistol back a few weeks ago and they replaced the extractor and ejector with custom parts (to accomodade me being left handed). Worked well for about 100 rds, now shooting brass right back into my eyes and face not cool. Also, the slide is slamming fwd again when i insert a new mag. Anyone have these problems?

This weapon was going to be my carry piece but i have some real concerns at this point. Btw...about 500+ rds fired.:confused:

__________________________________________________ _____________

I just want to let everyone know that it seems that my pm 45 is broken in and that she is working the way I had expected. I'd like to say thanks to Mr. Covel and the rest of the team at Kahr for the excellent customer service that I received.

jocko
10-26-2009, 01:51 PM
__________________________________________________ _____________

I just want to let everyone know that it seems that my pm 45 is broken in and that she is working the way I had expected. I'd like to say thanks to Mr. Covel and the rest of the team at Kahr for the excellent customer service that I received.

was the crow??? Did the wine help any:blah::blah:

jfmay
10-26-2009, 02:53 PM
was the crow??? Did the wine help any:blah::blah:

Deeeeelicious..............I went with the merlot...vintage .45!!!:D:D

Kiawah
10-27-2009, 05:15 PM
I was kind of hoping that you'd get so discouraged with it, that you'd want to unload it at rock bottom price just to dump it.....and I would begrudgingly have to step forward and take it off your hands!

Oh well...... still on the lookout for a deal. Love my PM9, and it needs a 45 mate to keep it happy.

jfmay
10-27-2009, 05:48 PM
I was kind of hoping that you'd get so discouraged with it, that you'd want to unload it at rock bottom price just to dump it.....and I would begrudgingly have to step forward and take it off your hands!

Oh well...... still on the lookout for a deal. Love my PM9, and it needs a 45 mate to keep it happy.

Sorry to dissapoint you...LOL! I think that if it keps working the way it is now...someday...someone may have to pry it from my cold-dead-hands!!!
BTW, dead from old AGE.:33:

paul0660
10-27-2009, 07:24 PM
600 round break in.

It is VERY obvious to me that Moon created a brilliant design which has not carried over to the variants which Kahr has introduced to take advantage of the market for polymer guns of many calibers.

jfmay
10-28-2009, 02:39 PM
600 round break in.

It is VERY obvious to me that Moon created a brilliant design which has not carried over to the variants which Kahr has introduced to take advantage of the market for polymer guns of many calibers.

Not exactly sure what you are saying here...?

jhiller
10-28-2009, 03:17 PM
I received a call from a Tech at Kahr yesterday. He said that he and his supervisor were testing my pistol and asked what loads I had used when it kicked cases backwards. After a long discussion and more testing they called me back and told me that they had fixed the problem. It had to do with the mags not the pistol.
Today I received the pistol along with 2 additional modified magazines. I promptly took the pistol to the range and sure enough with CorBon DPX and with Remington 185gr GS the ejection of spent cases went straight out from the ejection port, not back into my head. 50 rounds with 100% reliability and no forehead scuffs.
GREAT job Kahr !!!

DPX is my carry round

jfmay
10-28-2009, 03:28 PM
I received a call from a Tech at Kahr yesterday. He said that he and his supervisor were testing my pistol and asked what loads I had used when it kicked cases backwards. After a long discussion and more testing they called me back and told me that they had fixed the problem. It had to do with the mags not the pistol.
Today I received the pistol along with 2 additional modified magazines. I promptly took the pistol to the range and sure enough with CorBon DPX and with Remington 185gr GS the ejection of spent cases went straight out from the ejection port, not back into my head. 50 rounds with 100% reliability and no forehead scuffs.
GREAT job Kahr !!!

DPX is my carry round

That's great news I hope it is fixed.

I'm confused...what did they do to the mags? Also, what effect does the mag have on how/where the shell ejects?

jocko
10-28-2009, 03:43 PM
they fixed it, that is what matters . Have no idea what adjustments to the mags will do for extraction. Kahr is getting their service act together IMO.

jhiller
10-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Don't know for certain but I suspect that the ejection cycle is affected by the process of cycling the new round from mag. Both DPX and 185 GS are lighter weight standard pressure rounds. That may have slowed the slides rearward movement enough to permit the spent case to cler the port before the next round had any effect on the case.....

Only thing I know for sure is that is does not spit'em back in my face and the weapon is 100% reliable.

I will comfortably carry it now and have a superb Bulldog Leather holster to carry it in

jhiller
10-28-2009, 03:49 PM
they fixed it, that is what matters . Have no idea what adjustments to the mags will do for extraction. Kahr is getting their service act together IMO.

I have to say that Kahr could not have been more responsible nor diligent in solving the problem. They have great credibility as far as I'm concerned . Pistols are tools and nothing is perfect ( except for my dog). What counts is that they fixed it

Kahrdog
10-28-2009, 05:00 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. That the gun is now working like it should is important, but the way Kahr worked to get this corrected to your satisfaction is even more important. The good P.R. coming from this creates loyal customers and attracts new ones. Things like this have a way of making the rounds. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Kahrdog

sanspeu1r
07-07-2019, 07:10 PM
I found a reloading recipe that works for my on my Kahr CM45: 230 Gr RNL 8 Gr Hodgden HS-6. Best accuracy and the ejected case lands 6 feet behind me.