PDA

View Full Version : Cw9

sandy22
02-25-2017, 02:29 PM
Shot my cw9 yesterday at the range. Cannot hit with it. Think I'm used to 1911's triggers. Thinking about trading it off. Probably lose money on it if I trade it. That or try to learn the trigger on it.

jjanton305
02-25-2017, 05:34 PM
I've had my CW-9 for a year now, and love it. I also have a Kimber Pro Raptor 2. As you know totally different triggers. Don't stage the CW9 trigger, just pull it straight back. Took me a couple hundred rounds to get it right with muscle memory, it now goes everywhere with me and I'm dead on with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yqtszhj
02-25-2017, 06:30 PM
Good advice fron jjanton. The Kahr trigger is like a super smooth revolver trigger and a practice makes perfect. Do a lot of dry fire practice and you'll have it in no time.

berettabone
02-26-2017, 09:39 AM
Shot my cw9 yesterday at the range. Cannot hit with it. Think I'm used to 1911's triggers. Thinking about trading it off. Probably lose money on it if I trade it. That or try to learn the trigger on it.
Did you purchase it because you thought it would shoot like a 1911??????? You didn't realize that all firearms are different?????? I am sure that there are many people here on the forum that would take it off of your hands. If your used to shooting nothing but 1911's, you'll have a lot of rounds to get used to the trigger my friend...........................................

Bawanna
02-26-2017, 10:15 AM
I'm a pretty devout 1911 shooter myself but I find I have no trouble changing gears to the Kahr trigger.

I didn't think it would work out well but once you get the Kahr dialed in, you should have no trouble.

kwh
02-26-2017, 12:42 PM
Different sight picture and trigger pull takes some practice. More info about where you are hitting on the target would be helpful for a diagnosis.

dustnchips
02-27-2017, 09:32 AM
Different sight picture and trigger pull takes some practice. More info about where you are hitting on the target would be helpful for a diagnosis.
The last two trips to the range I have started to shoot low and left. I'm a righty. What is the probable cause? Me, not the gun.

Bawanna
02-27-2017, 09:45 AM
Low and left is the usual spot for new right handed Kahr shooters.

It's you. It will get better. Focus on finger position and don't stage the trigger, just a smooth one motion stroke.

It will get better, count on it.

Ken L
02-27-2017, 05:10 PM
Also squeeze the grip so tight that your fingernails turn white. That will help pull the group up too. Kahrs like to be held really tight.

kwh
02-27-2017, 08:42 PM
The last two trips to the range I have started to shoot low and left. I'm a righty. What is the probable cause? Me, not the gun.

1) Use more trigger finger -past 1st digit. 2) concentrate on pulling trigger straight back. These 2 steps should solve the problem for a right handed shooter.

allthumbsplusone
02-28-2017, 05:55 AM
You can dry fire to get a feel for the trigger, really no excuse not to do that. If you do practice, do so as you would be shooting a live round. Same grip, grip pressure and trigger finger position. I find I shoot best when I focus on keeping the front sight on target all the way through the shot and continue the pull until the trigger stops. When I am shooting my best I can see the front sight, target and muzzel flassh all at the same time. 9mm is cheap to shoot compared to any other center fire cartridge so practice as much as you can and remember it is a self defense gun, not a target gun.

topgun1953
02-28-2017, 08:07 AM
I recently obtained my first 1911 (SA Range Officer in 9mm) and I am thinking that the trigger discipline developed using the long pull of the Kahr will really help with the 1911 trigger. I noticed the same thing when I switch to my M&P or P938 from the Kahr. When using my Kahr, I like to really pull the trigger slow, fighting off any tendency to flinch. I'm not always successful but it does seem to help when I switch to the single action triggers.

Slugnutty
03-04-2017, 09:38 PM
I ROW my Kahr trigger, like a smoooooth double action revolver.
With other striker fired triggers I too take up the pre-travel to the "wall" and then attempt to not put more pressure as I release the striker.

The Kahr as it has no wall but that long smooth trigger try not to jerk or slap the trigger to the rear, but I imagine rowing a boat - you do not row in two stages, I do not pull the CW45 in two stages but a single steady row of the trigger until I am surprised by the bang.

Also do not ride the trigger to reset like other polymer striker fired pistols, again like a row boat oar, row it ALL THE WAY OUT, do not LOOK for the reset just nice, smooth, flowing rowing motion in out in out in out (hey now... stop that thought!)

My .02

Iggy
03-22-2017, 07:48 PM
Several months ago, my wife gave up carrying a lite weight S&W revolver after 45 years due to painful recoil. She bought a CW45 even though I was pushing for a 9mm of some sorts. She really liked the CW-45 and in a few days, I bought one like it to keep us able to share ammo and mags if necessary.

A month ago a bargain priced used Ruger LC9s on sale at a pawn shop going out of business got the best of her. She was wearing a purple blouse, a purple watch band, the gun was purple, and the price was ridiculous. It was a foregone conclusion. Again, I picked one up for the same reason. Mine is NOT purple. *G*

I was concerned that she had no experience with a striker fired gun with a manual safety. Too many years with a revolver.

She worked at drawing, flipping the safety off and dry firing. She really liked the smaller single stack 9mm for carry, but I was still concerned about stressful situations and 45 years of a double action trigger..

Last week I finally ordered a CW9 and she picked it up yesterday. It was an instant connection. She's really happy with the new CW9. So now we've got two CW-45s, two Ruger LC9s. I still like mine, but I carried a 1911 for decades and a new Kahr.
Anybody want a purple Ruger LC9S?:(.

gb6491
03-23-2017, 03:04 PM
Anybody want a purple Ruger LC9S?:(.
RIT dye will take care of that purple:)
Regards,
Greg

AugWest
03-23-2017, 03:38 PM
This is a common problem for people who are used to single actions. I had the same problem switching from 1911's and revolvers to blocks, and then I realized anyone can shoot a 1911 and that mastering the double action pull is what defines a shooter. The kahr trigger will grow on you, in rapid fire today it put a smile on my face. I could never shoot a block again.

Also, use your support hand more, squeeze your support harder than your firing hand, use them both and put the gun in a vice. Low and left ended after I figured out that.

Iggy
03-23-2017, 04:47 PM
We both love the CW-45s. We both converted from revolvers to them because of the "revolver like" trigger pull. We took her new CW-9 out in the pasture today, and she killed some marauding rocks. She likes the CW9 as well as the CW45. I can live with
the single action Ruger as I am use to the manual safety, but if a good deal wanders in on a CW-9, I may be in trouble.

Iggy
03-23-2017, 05:07 PM
RIT dye will take care of that purple:)
Regards,
Greg

You're a big help. ;)

Bawanna
03-23-2017, 05:31 PM
I might have a home for the Purple gun. I'll send you a PM.

downtownv
03-23-2017, 06:20 PM
My wife is deadly with hers and can't shoot my K-9 and vise versa...

gb6491
03-23-2017, 07:18 PM
You're a big help. ;)
It worked for me :madgrin:
http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?30226-Another-ugly-gun
Regards,
Greg

Iggy
04-01-2017, 06:14 PM
Well, Itchy got that new CW-9 to the range yesterday.. I had downloaded some targets on 8X11 paper.. Her first 8 shots at a 50 cent sized bullseye were all touching the bull. She was shooting two hands standing at 7 yards. First shot was in the bullseye. I couldn't believe it.. 7 shots later I was a believer. She kept that kind of accuracy up the entire time we were there.

That CW-9 shoots, not to mention the person wielding it wasn't too shabby neither.

You could say she's a happy camper, and I'm swole up like a poisoned pup, proud of her shooting.