PDA

View Full Version : Shooting my new CM9 for the first time.

Lazareth
03-04-2017, 10:27 PM
I got in 275 rounds in about an hour, 25 of those being Critical Defense. Only had one failure to eject properly and that was due to user error. I was 220 rounds or so into it, was firing one handed, got kind of lazy and a tad tired, limp wristed the shot. The WWB round got stuck, no big deal. Another user error early on when I didn't have the magazine fully engaged was quickly remedied. Just learning the firearm and I enjoyed it.

I was also rotating the extra mag I purchased into the mix. At first the new mag didn't slide into the gun as easily as the one that came with it originally but that smoothed out over time. Didn't have an issue with either of them.

Haven't shot in a while. I usually break my guns in, test with the SD rounds to ensure they feed well, then load it up and leave it alone except for routine lubrication. Today while using two hands I was shooting generally low left, I'm right handed. So I was jerking the shot at the last minute. I was doing better shooting one handed. My groupings are more like the general area and as long as I'm in the zone I'm happy enough. haha

I started pocket carrying with a NAA 22 Mag revolver, carried that a few years. Then I moved on to the LCP carried that for years and still will depending on location and clothing. Have now increased caliber to the 9mm. It certainly goes bang with much more authority than those other two.

Now, the quest for a better cargo pant with deep front pockets, that's how I prefer to carry. I'm hitting up Cabelas tomorrow to check out their Trailhiker IIs.

My Kahr CM9 range grade: "A" Cool gun.

yqtszhj
03-04-2017, 10:48 PM
Nice report and welcome to the forum. I would imagine that after cleaning up the cm9 and relubing you'll hwve no more issues since you've made it through breakin. My cm9 is a keeper and I can carry in jeans pockets easily. They are sweet shooting pistols.

kenemoore
03-05-2017, 05:04 AM
Now, the quest for a better cargo pant with deep front pockets, that's how I prefer to carry. I'm hitting up Cabelas tomorrow to check out their Trailhiker IIs.

I have migrated to the Tru-spec cargo pants, wear them 7 days a week, work or pleasure. http://www.lapolicegear.com/truspec-simptac-cp-cargo.html

Large front pockets for my PM9, I carry a spare mag in the left side tech pocket, phone on right side. The elastic in the waistband is handy on the days I carry IWB (not often).
If you sign up for the LA Police gear news letter, they have sales on the cargo pants 3-4 times a year.

Lazareth
03-05-2017, 09:50 AM
Thank you for the Tru-spec heads up. If my trip to Cabelas doesn't provide me with what I'm looking for I'll explore that option further. I'm 6'3" about 235-240 depending which eating holiday is close by haha.

I already know that chances are I'd order a pair and have to return because the fit would be off, the only issue with ordering clothes. Seems to happen no matter how closely I attempt to follow a company's sizing chart. Right now I'm wearing a pair of those cheap Wrangler cargos from Walmart with an elongated front right pocket that I had my mother sew special for me.

TXscooterguy
03-05-2017, 02:26 PM
I'm 6'3" about 235-240

If you ever find yourself in need of a really good motorcycle jacket, let me know. I bought a US made, $500+ jacket online. I thought the "L" stood for Large. Nope, Long. I'm 5'10 and look like one of Snow White's dwarves in it.

Lazareth
03-05-2017, 02:37 PM
If you ever find yourself in need of a really good motorcycle jacket, let me know. I bought a US made, $500+ jacket online. I thought the "L" stood for Large. Nope, Long. I'm 5'10 and look like one of Snow White's dwarves in it.

I'll keep that in mind. As for the funds I'm out on a limb getting the Kahr with all the extras required as it is. Our 8 month old daughter gets the rest of the tax refund. haha

Cabelas had nothing that worked for me for cargo pants with deep pockets. I went ahead and ordered a few pair of the Tru-spec already with the idea that I'll have to swap for a different size. But that's ok, I do like the look of them, thanks again kennemore. They are backordered at a lot of places, ordered directly from Tru-spec.

As for pocket holsters I've found one that works for me today, the Blackhawk #3. I tried the MD-1 Sticky but found it too bulky, at least for front pocket carry for me. Tried the Desantis and its useable and I will keep it though it does fill up the pocket a bit too much for me, and it's not that comfortable imo. But the Blackhawk is so comfortable, perfect really. I already use a #1 for my LCP and have used it for years, just recently got myself a fresh one. Blackhawk #3 is the way to go for me. Looking at the design I wonder why they couldn't have added the little bottom wing? But whatever, it works.

If I had the cash I'd start a cargo pants business catering to front pocket concealed carry. Deep and reinforced pockets without all the tactical bells and whistles, just civilian garb with conceal friendly front pockets. I'm surprised there isn't some brand already doing that. People can always hit up the alteration pros to fix up small pocket pants and I do have 3 of those walmart cargos that will have that done but it shouldn't have to come to that, especially with today's CC market.

TXscooterguy
03-05-2017, 03:49 PM
As for pocket holsters...

I got this: https://www.amazon.com/Wallet-Holster-Full-Concealment-Kahr/dp/B01AE8KAOI

I have a Crimson Trace Laserguard on my CM9. I put the wallet holster in my back pocket. This leaves my front pocket for my money / credit card wallet (which it seems I'm pulling out way too often), car keys and change. I practice reaching behind for the wallet holster and removing the CM9. The rectangular shape in my back pocket doesn't seem to draw attention.

Lazareth
03-05-2017, 05:04 PM
I got this: https://www.amazon.com/Wallet-Holster-Full-Concealment-Kahr/dp/B01AE8KAOI

I have a Crimson Trace Laserguard on my CM9. I put the wallet holster in my back pocket. This leaves my front pocket for my money / credit card wallet (which it seems I'm pulling out way too often), car keys and change. I practice reaching behind for the wallet holster and removing the CM9. The rectangular shape in my back pocket doesn't seem to draw attention.

I've never been comfortable with the idea of sitting on the gun but does indeed seem to conceal well that way. Side note, what's up with that guy's hands in those item photos? Ink or paint all over him, they could have found somebody with at least clean looking hands. HAHA

ct9kahrtoter
03-05-2017, 05:07 PM
Hello and welcome to the site OP! Sounds like you broke your pistol in pretty well, and a good range report. ;)

TXscooterguy
03-05-2017, 06:00 PM
Side note, what's up with that guy's hands in those item photos? Ink or paint all over him, they could have found somebody with at least clean looking hands. HAHA

I'm guessing it's leather dye. Maybe I'll text him and tell about the benefits of using nitrile gloves when you're also the company's hand model.

Lazareth
03-05-2017, 10:52 PM
HAHA Yes that might help sell a few more.

Thank you for the kind greetings yqtszhj and ct9kahrtoter.

I'm just sitting here admiring my new CM9, all cleaned up now, while watching Tombstone for the hundredth time. Good times.

bugs
03-06-2017, 12:13 PM
sorry trailhiker IIs didn't work for you;those, along w/trailhiker II shorts are my go tos with my 250 lb. bulk.I get them a size larger and they have room with the elastic w/b to allow IWB carry and the front pockets are big enough to allow my CM9 w/7rnd. mag to fit and draw comfortably. I don't use cargo pocket cuz the draw is too slow.IMHO, Tru-Spec pocket material is too thin

NRA LIFER
IDPA BELEIVER

Bawanna
03-06-2017, 12:36 PM
I'd love to find them trailhiker II's without any cargo pockets. I love the canvas type material and the elastic waist but them pockets mess with me. Hang up mounting and dismounting my ride.

Be nice if the legs weren't quite so generous too, Make my legs look FAT.

They showed not making black anymore but looking closer I think they just changed the name to Charcoal or something.

They are my favorites though. I don't have to worry none about the tall stuff, rapidly approaching the big though, need to get on Biggest Loser I guess.

Lazareth
03-06-2017, 04:33 PM
sorry trailhiker IIs didn't work for you;those, along w/trailhiker II shorts are my go tos with my 250 lb. bulk.I get them a size larger and they have room with the elastic w/b to allow IWB carry and the front pockets are big enough to allow my CM9 w/7rnd. mag to fit and draw comfortably. I don't use cargo pocket cuz the draw is too slow.IMHO, Tru-Spec pocket material is too thin

NRA LIFER
IDPA BELEIVER

My wife and I went around checking the pocket depths in all the cargos they had, and at a few other stores. Nearly all of them had shallow depth front pockets, including the Trailhiker IIs. I've read that the older Trailhikers used to have deeper front pockets but things have changed with newer versions. I'm not sure about any of that, just going on what I've read. But for my needs yeah, I though the front pockets were not deep enough for my needs. I need double deep or depth and half at least.

Ok, I'll check that material thickness with those Tru-specs. If the pockets aren't up to snuff I'll return them. Judging by what many manufacturers claimed to be deep pockets and what my actual experience was checking said pockets leave something to be desired. Altering the pockets myself appears to be the best idea. We're going to down to visit my mother in a few weeks and I'm going to have her show me the basic ropes of a sewing machine so I can do simple things like this myself. That's the plan anyway.

Bawanna
03-06-2017, 04:42 PM
I believe the Trailhikers have changed. I think they used to be better also. Might be why they added the II on the end.

Maybe I could just cut off the cargo pockets. I'm better with a knife than I am with a sewing machine. My wife is a sewer/knitter/ all that craft stuff.

Lazareth
03-06-2017, 04:48 PM
I believe the Trailhikers have changed. I think they used to be better also. Might be why they added the II on the end.

Maybe I could just cut off the cargo pockets. I'm better with a knife than I am with a sewing machine. My wife is a sewer/knitter/ all that craft stuff.

Early on I started hand sewing rips and holes, seemed simple enough to do with no fuss. But some of these alterations I need these days will require a bit of training and time. Perhaps I should get on Etsy and sell cargos with reinforced deepened front pockets for carry by yours truly. Go into business? haha

But yeah, I'm an 80s Hellraiser, Mad Max, Conan, thrash metal dude from way back with a flare for sewing patches and fixing holes. Go figure! haha I've repaired many of my wife's shirts and stuff. Crazy right?

Lazareth
03-07-2017, 05:45 PM
Tru-spec update. I ordered 38W34L and felt the waist was a bit tight. They snapped fine and they do technically fit with a wee bit of wiggle room but I like a bit more breathing room with my pants, especially when crouching down and what not. So for me weighing in around 241lbs this evening I feel the 40W34L is the way to go. A size up I guess you'd say. I'm usually 36/38 waist in pants but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any sizing standards between brands, they're all hit or miss. So for anybody out there looking at Tru-spec try ordering a size up.

As for my thoughts on the pants I like them. I found the front pockets just deep enough and well made. I feel the pocket material wasn't too thin for my needs at all. The pant's legs feel a bit tighter than some of the other cargos I've worn, maybe the size up will give a little more room. But I feel a little bit snugger might be a good idea. I'd rather have the firearm more stationary in my pocket (downside a tad more printing) vs. less printing but swinging around more and being a bit distracting.

So to wrap up, I'll have to return the 2 pair I bought but now I know my size and in the meantime I found another online shop with Tru-spec on sale clearance (no returns) about 10 bucks cheaper a pair. Confident in my sizing now I ordered 3 pair for the price of 2. Thanks again for the Tru-spec heads up. Happy trails!

kenemoore
03-07-2017, 06:01 PM
Glad you liked the Tru=Spec's, they are my go to, may folks find they run a bit small. So your finding is in line with other reviews I've read. I like the lack of velcro, and the front pockets are deep enough for a a PM9.

Lazareth
03-09-2017, 12:42 AM
An observation, I noticed that half of my slide stop seems discolored, on the outside, from about the center back (to where those horizontal grooves are) its darker and unpolished looking. I can't remember if it came that way or not. I shot it nearly 300 times. I attempted to clean it off but it's not shining up, made no difference. Is that common from usage or unusual? Not affecting function in anyway just noticeable.

Also just to clarify, are the PM9 parts indeed interchangeable with the CM9? Like if I wanted to put a PM9 slide stop into my CM9, is that completely compatible?

Ed M
03-09-2017, 12:34 PM
My slide stop looked the same. I tried polishing it up with Flitz and a felt disc on my dremel, but it looked crappy. Shiny, but crappy....

I glass beaded it, and it looks good enough now, but it's still darker than the slide. The PM9 slide stop should fit, and it's the same price as the CM9 one. Go figure....

I'll just live with my current slide stop - no use risking a visit from the Kahr gremlins just to have it look nicer.....

Lazareth
03-09-2017, 03:00 PM
My slide stop looked the same. I tried polishing it up with Flitz and a felt disc on my dremel, but it looked crappy. Shiny, but crappy....

I glass beaded it, and it looks good enough now, but it's still darker than the slide. The PM9 slide stop should fit, and it's the same price as the CM9 one. Go figure....

I'll just live with my current slide stop - no use risking a visit from the Kahr gremlins just to have it look nicer.....

Ah ok, thank you for sharing your experience with it. As long as it's not just me then I can deal with it. Maybe sometime down the line I'll upgrade to a PM9 slide stop. Thanks again!

Lazareth
03-09-2017, 06:18 PM
One last Tru-spec update. WOW, those Simply Tactical Cargos are quite popular. The usual sizes and colors are backordered everywhere til late April mid-May. I managed one pair of Navy at least. Hoping the new batch that gets shipped to the U.S. has the same sizing. If they switched countries the sizing chart goes out the window yet again.

David Whitaker
03-11-2017, 01:15 PM
Replaced my Beretta Nano (due to FTE's and excessive barrel ware at 3k rounds) with a new Kahr CM9. Took it to the range twice and have fired 8 different brands of ammo for a total of more then 550 rounds (cheap 115 gr and 124 gr, plus two types of SD ammo and 100 rounds of reloads). Cycled perfectly 550 times, has a much better trigger, just as accurate and was very comfortable to shoot (fits in my Nano holsters). My wife (who is a limp wrister and recoil sensitive) was even able to fire it comfortably with zero failures (with a pachmyer grip sleeve). That's my final nano fix !

Lazareth
03-12-2017, 11:14 AM
Replaced my Beretta Nano (due to FTE's and excessive barrel ware at 3k rounds) with a new Kahr CM9. Took it to the range twice and have fired 8 different brands of ammo for a total of more then 550 rounds (cheap 115 gr and 124 gr, plus two types of SD ammo and 100 rounds of reloads). Cycled perfectly 550 times, has a much better trigger, just as accurate and was very comfortable to shoot (fits in my Nano holsters). My wife (who is a limp wrister and recoil sensitive) was even able to fire it comfortably with zero failures (with a pachmyer grip sleeve). That's my final nano fix !

I nearly got a Sig P250 Sub-compact instead of the Kahr this year (though I'll still eventually get one hopefully) for carry but decided I wanted to continue pocket carrying like I've done with my LCP for years. The Sig is too big for that of course and the Kahr was on the top of my list for single stack 9mm, and perfect for pocket carry imo (with the right pants of course.)

That's great news indeed. I've seen lots of Nano videos though I've never shot one. I've always been drawn to the CM9 and I'm glad I went with my gut. I'm very satisfied with it.

Which holster are you using just out of curiosity?

David Whitaker
03-13-2017, 08:38 PM
My favorite holster is a Recluse, Wallet Holster.

Lazareth
03-14-2017, 07:16 PM

NRA LIFER
IDPA BELEIVER

Well......so I've gone 180 on the Trailhiker IIs. While I do find the Tru-specs pockets are a bit deeper the Trailhikers are more comfortable to me, especially around that elastic waist band area. Also, the IIs sizes are more reliable. With the Tru-specs I am somewhere between their 38s and 40s, neither fitting just right. The IIs 38W fit much better and the elastic has room to move in both weight directions a bit which is good since I usually fluctuate a few pounds up and down regularly.

I was planning to have the pockets of the Tru-spec pair I have altered a bit regardless as for me they aren't quite deep enough. I'll have these IIs altered and reinforced as well.

So yeah, I walked out of Cabelas today with 3 pair of Trailhiker IIs and they're on sale right now for 27.99 and they fit. Thank you for the recommendation as well, so far they are working out.

Lazareth
03-14-2017, 07:21 PM
My favorite holster is a Recluse, Wallet Holster.

I've never tried one of those.

As for the Nano I was able to check one out at the store today. I found the CM9 WAY more comfortable to hold right away though it does seem to be quite a sleek little gun.