PDA

View Full Version : No love for the PM9

fly4fish
03-15-2017, 02:33 PM
Hey guys and gals. Yesterday was a snow day for me. We got over 20" in Southern Maine. So I went to my LGS to look over their used guns. Couldn't help but notice they had 8 different used PM9's, in various configurations. (They had over 20 used Kahr's in total). Many in very good shape. Most of the PM9's they had were priced around $450-500, some even with night sights.

Can't help but wonder, why so many? I know there's a love hate relationship with these little guns (sometimes more hate it seems online)... but it seemed excessive to me. The only explanation I can think of is with so many newer offerings in the single stack 9mm lineup (think shield, glock 43, etc) people are selling their Kahrs to try something different? Maybe many buy a Kahr and give up within the recommended 200 round break in thinking they got a dud?

Every Kahr I've ever owned has been pretty damn reliable, and accurate to boot. Even the little p380.

Any thoughts from those who have owned/shot/carried a PM9 or the like?

Was hoping to get my hands on one of the new Colt Defenders. Have always been a fan of the blued New Agent they offered, but couldn't get past the trench sights. Now that the Defender is available blued I can hopefully replace the stainless Defender I (stupidly) sold some years ago. Only question now is 9mm vs .45....

Texas48
03-15-2017, 03:01 PM
Have over flawless 300 rounds through my CM9. Hard ball, Hornady, Golden sabers, HST 147 gr ate everything and is really accurate gun. This gun is a keeper and resides in my pocket every day. Trigger is great and is the best pocket carry 9mm on the market IMHO. Have a PM40 that is really accurate and very manageable but having some extraction issues that am working out.

Bawanna
03-15-2017, 03:02 PM
I like to think they traded all those 9's in on 45's myself.

fly4fish
03-15-2017, 03:12 PM
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14720538_10155955657557837_3380176323534273646_n.j pg?oh=46d5b937cb6e023d95f457fcb945ad5e&oe=59644C6D
I have a pair of PM9's (silver one is actually my better half's). Both have been exceptionally reliable and far more accurate than I am. Mine rides IWB or on my nightstand. Won't be trading either one anytime soon. The PM9 trigger really is something special.

Alfonse
03-15-2017, 04:47 PM
I think there are lots of choices for single stack 9s now that weren't out there a few years ago. People are always seeking something new (better they hope). Folks who never warmed up to the Kahr trigger probably like some of the other options available now. I like my Kahrs.

berettabone
03-15-2017, 06:57 PM
One thing you have to keep in mind. If someone has many used Kahr's for sale, it means that a lot of them were sold to someone new also. I think many people find them too small. Some don't like the trigger. Some can't hit the broad side of a barn with them. Some have issues due to their shooting technique. Some have legitimate issues. Some forget that they are (some) defensive guns and not target guns. Some people just want to try something new. Looking for the holy grail................I don't see many used Kahr's up in my area. Like you mentioned, maybe they didn't have a very good introduction to the firearm and gave up on it. I've carried an MK for years. It had some growing pains in the beginning, some may have been self inflicted. It is hard to beat the trigger.

DavidR
03-15-2017, 07:59 PM
I'd love to pick up a used PM9 that I knew was reliable. My LGS has a used CM9 but they are asking $399 for it. No idea if it has problems.

Dave

OvalNut
03-15-2017, 08:55 PM
I live in Georgia and carry a Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm Compact in the cooler heavier clothes months. My PM9 is THE solution during the warmer months with lighter clothing. Fantastic pistol.

Tim

Old No7
03-16-2017, 10:05 AM
Any thoughts from those who have owned/shot/carried a PM9 or the like?
First of all -- from another southern Mainer -- it is pretty clear to me that you were at the Kittery Trading Post. :Amflag2:

My son-in-law has my old PM9 now, which was always totally reliable for me. But that said...

I've moved to the P9 Covert -- the predecessor to the PM series -- and to me, that extra barrel and slide length really helps make it easier to shoot and recover from recoil (it is less "snappy"), and I don't find it any harder to conceal at all. Maybe that's because I would never pocket-carry the PM anyway... I think it handles and balances SO much better.

Many have disagreed with me when I've posted it here before, but to me -- the P9 Covert is a better gun than the PM9.

Let the flames begin... ;)

Old No7

fly4fish
03-16-2017, 10:38 AM
First of all -- from another southern Mainer -- it is pretty clear to me that you were at the Kittery Trading Post. :Amflag2:

Kittery Trading Post indeed! Decent deals on the Ruger AR 556 right now too!

bugs
03-16-2017, 12:14 PM
Kahrs, new or used are not seen often in S. Wis.(?) my CM9 EDC/BUG DIV. has 3000+ rd. thru it now with no problems using either 6 or 7 rd. mags;gun is accurate enough to raise me from MM to SS in IDPA classifier/competition. the smaller the gun, the more practice needed IMHO.

NRA LIFER
IDPA BELEIVER