PDA

View Full Version : Trouble removing slide back on CW380

dhenze
06-04-2017, 03:51 PM
I thought I'd follow the recommendations of many on this forum and replace my factory striker on my CW380 with one from Lakeline. I've followed the instructions to the letter, but the slide back won't budge. I fashioned the u-shaped wire clip to remove pressure from the striker spring and spring guide. It seems the problem is with depressing the extractor pin back with a paper clip or a small punch. It won't budge at all. I've watched Lenny McGill's Kahr Disassembly/Reassembly DVD several times, and while he struggles a bit, he's finally able to get the slide back off. Is there something I'm missing here?

ripley16
06-04-2017, 04:12 PM
The actual opening to depress the pin in the rear is tiny and only a fraction of the apparent opening. You need a small jewelers screwdriver or such to get by the "false" edge of the hole. At that point it still takes some force to depress the pin but it will move. Have another tool handy to act as a starter pry to get the back moving.

Here's what it looks like apart. Note the back of the back plate and how little of the hole is actually a hole to push the pin.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Kahrextractor004.jpg (http://s72.photobucket.com/user/ripley16/media/Kahrextractor004.jpg.html)

finpro
06-04-2017, 05:45 PM
When you get the slide plate off, you might polish the portions which contact other metal and may make it harder to remove the plate. Special attention should go to that forward-facing ridge on the inside left side and the edges of the sides. Also, you might enlarge the slot into which you insert a tool to push the rear extractor spacing pin, but do not overdo this. This difficulty in removing the back plate is a major Kahr defect, but these suggestions may help.

Bawanna
06-04-2017, 06:21 PM
Once you get the above and get it off once, it's a non issue. As mentioned the hole is just smaller than it appears.

Tiny punch, or jewelers screwdriver again as mentioned and your home free.

Alfonse
06-04-2017, 09:47 PM
Great advice on this thread. I would only add even with the pin depressed, gunk from use can make the plate difficult to slide.

dhenze
06-05-2017, 12:15 AM
That did the trick. Using a mini screwdriver, way smaller than the hole got it done. Now all I have to do is wait for my Kahr order of the replacement striker spring guide that shot across my basement workshop into no man's land. I've been looking forward to wearing my S&W Model 36 .38 Chief Special on my ankle for a few days anyway. Thanks Kahrtalk members; you've been a big help educating me on my many CW380 issues.

skiflydive
06-05-2017, 06:32 AM
That did the trick. Using a mini screwdriver, way smaller than the hole got it done. Now all I have to do is wait for my Kahr order of the replacement striker spring guide that shot across my basement workshop into no man's land.

For first timers, remember that the part you want to press in on is the extractor spring retaining pin. It's only 1/2 or less of the hole you're putting the tool in. That's why a jewelers screwdriver works best. Also, it's helpful the first few times you detail strip your slide to put the slide inside a ziploc bag, seal it and work from outside the bag...stick your screwdriver through the bag for example. This contains the parts until you figure out how it all works.

Bawanna
06-05-2017, 08:48 AM
Definitely recommend the Ripley Retractor. The coat hanger bent to retain. It works great.

ripley16
06-05-2017, 09:36 AM
Definitely recommend the Ripley Retractor. The coat hanger bent to retain. It works great.

I'm wondering how he lost the part while using the Ripley Retractor. Keeping one's thumb over the guide and spring while removing the clamp should allow the spring to be eased out slowly.

Bawanna
06-05-2017, 10:31 AM
I don't know that this OP used the retractor. I thought he went free hand.

ripley16
06-05-2017, 01:09 PM
I don't know that this OP used the retractor. I thought he went free hand.

In the body of his post he said;

"I fashioned the u-shaped wire clip to remove pressure from the striker spring and spring guide."

I'm just curious as to how it got away from him. A teachable moment for us.

Bawanna
06-05-2017, 01:14 PM
I suspect during the removal of the retractor he was caught unawares of the launch capabilities and maybe dropped his guard.

topgun1953
06-05-2017, 01:57 PM
I've had mine go flying when putting things back together. I can do it now without worries. I had an idea though. If the plastic bag if difficult for you, go into a bathroom, close the door, and cover the drains....a lot easier to find if it takes off!! Oh, guys, put the lid down too!! :2eek::2eek:

dhenze
06-06-2017, 09:00 PM
I did use the Ripley Retractor but I made the mistake of removing it before I had everything back together. I was pushing the striker spring guide in with a punch, holding the extractor pin back in with the mini screw driver and ran out of fingers while trying to slip the slide back into place. Had I left the Retractor in place, I would have not had the issue. Great idea on the bathroom with the sink stopper closed. I'm going to do that when my parts arrive. Thanks again forum members for all of your help!!

dsk
06-08-2017, 10:55 PM
Every one of us has had the parts shoot out into no-man's land at least once. Once I lost my spring guide as well, and it hit the wall of my darkened garage and landed somewhere up above my head based on the sound. Determined to at least try to find it, I got a ladder and started scanning around with a flashlight to see if it landed on a shelf somewhere. Eventually I found it lying on the roof of my SUV. I was one lucky bastard that night. And yes I too was installing a Lakeline striker at the time as well. Maybe Alfonse needs to include a replacement spring guide with every striker he sells since we all seem to lose it during the install. ;)

yqtszhj
06-09-2017, 08:14 AM
.... If the plastic bag if difficult for you, go into a bathroom, close the door, and cover the drains....a lot easier to find if it takes off!! Oh, guys, put the lid down too!! :2eek::2eek:

Most bathrooms that would work, the one I share with my wife has more stuff than my garage.

True story. The wife got on me one day saying I had too much stuff on the counter top on "my side" of the bathroom. There was a bottle of mouthwash, beard trimmer charging, and a small basket for pocket change. Maybe my pistol was there too. I looked at my side, then took her to her side and looked. I told her that I think the problem with "my side" is she could see too much counter top since on her side you could see none (its twice the size of mine) plus the floor by the counter was stacked 2 foot high by 4 foot long with boxes of shoes.

That put an end to that.

Alfonse
06-09-2017, 09:35 AM
Every one of us has had the parts shoot out into no-man's land at least once. Once I lost my spring guide as well, and it hit the wall of my darkened garage and landed somewhere up above my head based on the sound. Determined to at least try to find it, I got a ladder and started scanning around with a flashlight to see if it landed on a shelf somewhere. Eventually I found it lying on the roof of my SUV. I was one lucky bastard that night. And yes I too was installing a Lakeline striker at the time as well. Maybe Alfonse needs to include a replacement spring guide with every striker he sells since we all seem to lose it during the install. ;)

I could do that. Somebody has a stainless one out. It doesn't really seem like a stressed part to me, but maybe the stainless would make more noise and be easier to find. That might be an advantage.

Bawanna
06-09-2017, 10:35 AM
Don't yall be stealing my idea now, I'm just sharing the concept with ya. I think all parts that tend to fly, springs, detents, etc ought to be coated with that glow in the dark phosphorous paint stuff.
When they fly, you just close the drapes, turn out the lights and look for the bright spots in your life.

I better start looking for somebody to count my money, I'm a freaking genius. I missed out on the hula hoop, and the yo yo, this might be my time.

I used to hell on wheels (well weren't in wheels in those days) with a yo yo. Even made a couple of my own.

Alfonse
06-09-2017, 08:08 PM
Glow in the dark is an even better idea. Run with it Bawanna!

Bawanna
06-09-2017, 10:11 PM
Run he says. Maybe roll really fast would work.

Al, we're fixing to maybe visit you come early August if your around. Gonna do the Omak Stampede and head home on a Saturday.
I think it might work this time. Maybe get a tour of the new shop?

Alfonse
06-10-2017, 04:20 PM
Run he says. Maybe roll really fast would work.

Al, we're fixing to maybe visit you come early August if your around. Gonna do the Omak Stampede and head home on a Saturday.
I think it might work this time. Maybe get a tour of the new shop?
That sounds great! Get me the dates when you have them.

Alfonse
06-10-2017, 04:24 PM
Along these lines, a month ago my wife found a magazine spring I launched 6 months ago. It fell out of a blind she was opening. Those are pretty big and I thought I looked everywhere.