PDA

View Full Version : Colt LW Commander Issues

OldLincoln
08-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Took dad's 45 Commander to the range today and had a couple issues to work on. I will also visit the 1911 Forum to see what they say, but you are family. BTW, yes I shot my PM9 today also - no issues!

The 45 had the slide lock partially engage several times. Just the top 1/16 or so but it locked the slide. As I clean it I see no spring to hold it down like the Kahr. Just the horizontal thingy that makes reinstalling the slide lock pin so difficult. [TIP: I read that placing a plastic coated playing card under the slide lock when re-installing it can prevent idiot marks.] When I play with it (slide on or off) there's really no resistance to it going up a tad and engaging. Am I missing something here? How do I stop that from happening.

Before you ask, I checked it out several times with my hand way away from the lock and I am positive my hand is not the issue.

Second. I had a few failure to chamber SD ammo, particularily the Federal 230gn HST +P. When I cleaned it I found the feed ramp is rough with horizontal machine marks on it. <GRIN> Do I get to polish this puppy without causing harm?? Huh Huh???!! Gotta polish!! Bacon, bacon, I smell bacon!!

A contributing factor may be that the slide feels very mushy compared to the PM9, so I'm wondering if it has more use than I thought. I'm confident the slide spring (main spring?) hasn't been changed since new (1978).

Now, I'm wondering if I need springs, which ones to buy. My SD round is the Federal 230gn HST +P - a hot round. My target ammo today is Sellier & Bellot 230gn but could be another low cost round in the future.

I am not a heavy gun user, typically put 50-100rds per range trip.

Your collective wisdom is very much appreciated.

jocko
08-20-2010, 08:58 AM
put new recoil springs in for sure. nice gun, the bugs will leave, eliminate the possables, such as you stated yourhand isnot the issues. One down, more to eliminate. start with recoil springs. check to see if those rounds might be hitting the inside of your slide stop lever. I had 3 replace din my Para carry 9 lda, before it got right. Should be easy to troble shoot that to, just take the slide off, re-install the slide lock lever and theninsert a loaded magazine and see what is going on. Not hitting, then another possable is eliminated..

Indeed polish that feed ramp, it won't harn anything, a smitty would do the same thing. I would even polish the inside of the chamber. A dremel works best but many just buy some 600+ grit auto paper and do it. takes alittle longer that way but it will produce the same results. I would like to think the ony thing that alot of rounds down range might do to the colt would be to weaken the recoil springs, other than that, that gun is wellb uilt and will shoot until the cows come home. Never heard of a colt yet being "shot out".

take your time, you will get things worked out, I would go to wolffs gunsprings.com and buy the recol springs, fast delivery and great stuff also..18 is standard factory, if it wa smne and I was ordering, I would order ther 18 and 20# springs . I think the 20# springs would work super...Nice gun.

Bawanna
08-20-2010, 09:06 AM
What he said! Don't give up on that beauty. Your not gonna wear it out. If you do give up, I'll get you my address. Bacon Bacon I smell a LT Wt Commander!!!!!!
Might check out mags also, often time mags can cause grief. Feed lips and followers can throw things off.

oldtex
08-20-2010, 09:24 AM
IMO, Jocko has given you good advice.

I would also make sure the gun is very well lubed. 1911 pistols run best when wet, much wetter than a Glock or H&K. The point of greatest friction on a 1911 seems to be where the top front of the outside of the chamber engages the front of the ejection port.

Because this is an alloy frame Commander, I'd be very very sparing of using +P ammo in it. Alloy frame 1911s are known to develop frame cracks around the slide stop pin hole if fed too many hot rounds.

What kind of mags were you using? 1911s can be finicky about mags; some like one brand, some a different brand, due to differences in tolerances, lip design, follower design, etc. If you're using the original mags that came with the gun in '78 I'd change those springs too.

Bawanna
08-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Another good stuff post. All my 1911 style guns like Wilson mags, when others don't seem to run, they seem to work.
Sounds like that gun has been resting a long time also, so it might just need a little shakin up too to get things running smooth.
I think a recoil spring and a mag spring or new spring and you'll be saving postage to my house.

jocko
08-20-2010, 10:09 AM
glad to see some 1911 fellas coming forward. closest Ihave come to in a 1911 style was my Para carry 9, besides 3 slide lock lever replaced they also replace all my para mags at least twice. Mags and recoil springs are probalby two of the first things to check out...

listen to Bawanna and old tex, they seem to know more of the quirks of a 1911 than i do..

OldLincoln
08-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks guys. I am using the original 6rd Colt mag and 2 new McCormick 10rd mags.

I checked closely and with all mags the HST rds are so close to the lug that some miss and some touch. The McCormick mags have a wide follower lip to catch the lug but the Colt just does touch it initially then works into it as it raises. I may takes to my local gunsmith and have him take a look. Probably replace the Colt mag but that's too bad as it's the original. Also, how in blazes do you clean those mags?

The feed ramp is a disaster with machine marks and my pinky nail feels them and makes a bad scraping noise. However, a guy on the 1911 forum said don't touch it as it is anodized aluminum and it will take off the anodize leaving soft aluminum making it a paper weight. Anybody who thinks Kahr has issues should see this ramp. It's a wonder anything makes the turn, but it feeds FMJ like candy. I may switch off my HST for a standard pressure JHP. If I get something that feeds reliably and doesn't push the lug, yet is a real stopper I might be better off all around.

I'm glad I only bought 2 boxes of HST. I suspect my gunsmith would trade it out for the next best thing.

A happy note, my Silent Thunder for this one should arrive tomorrow.

I'm still looking for feedback. Bawanna I don't anticipate selling this anytime soon, but have begun to wonder it's value compared to a new PM45. Funny, but everything I look at on this makes me miss Kahr. I shot the PM9 and will, but I want my 45 to be a Kahr. The only thing I wrestle with is that it was dad's, but I know I'd get over it.

Talk about odd, I shot the Colt until I was done with it then picked up the Kahr. I pulled the trigger back about half way, took a breather, then pulled it back another half way and took a breather then it finally fired at the end of the third half way. I never thought of it as long until shooting it behind the Colt SA. Of course that only lasted 3 or 4 rounds, but it is noticeable.

Bawanna
08-20-2010, 12:39 PM
After shooting that Colt I'm sure the Kahr felt like you started pulling on monday and it went off on wednesday. It's still a great gun and those McCormicks should run just fine in it. I'm not sure I buy the anodized aluminum on the feed ramp story at all, don't sound right to me but until I can prove it's a bold faced lie we better trust the guy. Should be able to tell, break out your trusty magnet or an awl on the bottom or someplace away from the ramp itself and see if you can scratch it? The fact that it was your dad's makes that a priceless gem in whatever capacity it ends up being. In your shoes I wouldn't sell it for 2 PM45's and 4 cases of ammo but I'm a nostalgic, keep it in the family kind of guy.
My wife who is also my first cousin on my dad's side twice removed says she agrees.
I'd for sure try some standard ammo HP's, Gold Dots, or Winchester SXT's, whatever. The shape of the SXT's sure look to me like they would feed well. I'm sure there are others too, lots of choices.
Time is on your side, have fun with it, appreciate it, love it and if it does go on the block (perish the thought) put me at the top of the contact list.
More pictures would be good too.

jocko
08-20-2010, 12:45 PM
bawanna that would be a good thing to ask on the 1911 forums.

not sure I buy the anodized aluminum on the feed ramp story at all, don't sound right to me but until I can prove it's a bold faced lie we better trust the guy. Should be able to tell, break out your trusty magnet

Bawanna
08-20-2010, 12:54 PM
I have to concede to the guy, he is correct. The feed ramp is actually part of the frame (I forgot) so it naturally is aluminum and no doubt anodized to harden it. It's just the start of the ramp leading up to the barrel. Not sure what the cure for that would be if there is one but as the guy said polishing in the manner we're accustomed would probably not be a good idea.
Should be able to look closely and see how much the rounds are hitting on the ramps too, may not be alot of critical guiding going on depending on bullet shape etc.

oldtex
08-20-2010, 01:31 PM
I have to concede to the guy, he is correct. The feed ramp is actually part of the frame (I forgot) so it naturally is aluminum and no doubt anodized to harden it. It's just the start of the ramp leading up to the barrel. Not sure what the cure for that would be if there is one but as the guy said polishing in the manner we're accustomed would probably not be a good idea.
Should be able to look closely and see how much the rounds are hitting on the ramps too, may not be alot of critical guiding going on depending on bullet shape etc.

The original 1911 and I'm sure the '70s vintage Ltwt Commander in question actually has a two-piece feed ramp. The bottom part of it is actually a beveled part of the frame. Since we're talking an aluminum alloy frame, that part probably should not be altered unless re-anodizing the frame is contemplated.

The upper part of the feed ramp is a small bevel cut into the bottom rear of the chamber of the barrel. That part can be polished carefully if it's not smooth but care should be taken not to change any angles or dimensions, unless a 1911 expert does the work.

This just barely scratches the surface of the wonderful world of 1911 reliability. It's a nightmare for just about everyone, except for the gunsmith who can make a fortune off these finicky pistols. 1911-wise, I've owned an AMT, a Colt, a Remington Rand 1911A1, three Kimbers, four STIs, and five Para Ordnance. I kept one of the STIs because my wife likes it; all the others are gone. Getting them to run reliabily can be a challenge, and keeping them running is a challenge as well. IMO very high maintenance.

A good resource with info on making and keeping a 1911 reliable enough to be trusted as a fighting pistol is the 10-8 performance site, run by a guy named Hilton Yam. I don't have the URL, but by googling 10-8 I think you can find it.

jocko
08-20-2010, 01:38 PM
old tex. I am so glad u said those things, as the only 1911 style I had was Para carry 9 and it was very very unreliable..... With as many as you had, I bow to your knowledge also..

Bawanna
08-20-2010, 01:51 PM
I must hold my mouth right or something. I've had zero issues with any of my 1911's. I have had issues with officers personal 1911's mainly Kimbers. Once they gave up on the internal extractors they seem to work fine. The guys at the academy tell me they have had lots of problems with the newer 1911's like the Sigs, Taurus, etc. No bad reports on the Smiths that I've heard. Don't see too many of those down there either so probably not a good measure of problem guns either, especially around firearms instructors who I find are harder on a gun than sometimes they should be, especially a new gun.

I do find that the more customized they get the more finicky they seem to get. My LDA Paras which are a slightly different program have never gave me any grief. My ole WWII 1911 I don't think has ever had a spring replaced and it still jugs along.
I did have a few issues I guess with my old officers model when they first came out years ago but I think it was working out the kinks making 45's that small back then, a bit like the PM45 is to the Kahr world. It ran fine once it got tweaked a bit.

cptdean
08-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Took dad's 45 Commander to the range today and had a couple issues to work on. I will also visit the 1911 Forum to see what they say, but you are family. BTW, yes I shot my PM9 today also - no issues!

The 45 had the slide lock partially engage several times. Just the top 1/16 or so but it locked the slide. As I clean it I see no spring to hold it down like the Kahr. Just the horizontal thingy that makes reinstalling the slide lock pin so difficult. [TIP: I read that placing a plastic coated playing card under the slide lock when re-installing it can prevent idiot marks.] When I play with it (slide on or off) there's really no resistance to it going up a tad and engaging. Am I missing something here? How do I stop that from happening.

Before you ask, I checked it out several times with my hand way away from the lock and I am positive my hand is not the issue.

Second. I had a few failure to chamber SD ammo, particularily the Federal 230gn HST +P. When I cleaned it I found the feed ramp is rough with horizontal machine marks on it. <GRIN> Do I get to polish this puppy without causing harm?? Huh Huh???!! Gotta polish!! Bacon, bacon, I smell bacon!!

A contributing factor may be that the slide feels very mushy compared to the PM9, so I'm wondering if it has more use than I thought. I'm confident the slide spring (main spring?) hasn't been changed since new (1978).

Now, I'm wondering if I need springs, which ones to buy. My SD round is the Federal 230gn HST +P - a hot round. My target ammo today is Sellier & Bellot 230gn but could be another low cost round in the future.

I am not a heavy gun user, typically put 50-100rds per range trip.

Your collective wisdom is very much appreciated.

Ahhhhh, now I'm in my comfort zone! :)

Slide Release - This will stay in place pretty well if you replace your plunger tube spring (usually comes with new pins for slide release and thumb safety, so go ahead and knock it out). A good replacement set from Colt will also make it easier to reinstall the slide release without idiot marks. Never heard the playing card trick...good idea as a precaution.

JHP Ammo - Welcome to the finicky world of 1911s! There may be a number of things you can tweak to reliably feed hollow points, including trying several brands until you find the one your particular gun will eat. I, on the other hand, avoid the issue entirely by running round nosed SD ammo like Cor-Bon/Glaser Pow'R Ball. It's a JHP with a polymer ball plugging the opening. This allows it to feed like FMJ, but hit like JHP. The polymer ball aids the bullet in penetrating heavy clothing before expanding. There are similar other rounds, and I'm not necessarily endorsing this one, but I wanted you to know you have options. As for +P, I'd keep the practice round count low. It can be hard on aluminum frames over time.

Recoil Springs - A brand new standard 16 lb. spring should do you fine for now. I would recommend getting very familiar with your gun and the ammo you'll be shooting before switching to higher or lower. Make sure you've eliminated all other failures first or you'll go nuts trying to figure out which of a half dozen factors are causing your problems. And try not to use recoil pads on your guide rod, either.

Other Springs - Since you're already replacing the plunger tube spring and recoil spring, you may as well also get a mainspring housing rebuild kit and a new sear spring. Factory standard parts direct from Colt won't cost you much, and they're good people to work with.

Magazines - 1911 magazines contribute to more feed issues than probably any other single component. Slight variations brand to brand, differences in followers, old/heavy/light follower springs, and misshapen feed lips can cause you a world of grief. While you're on the phone with Colt getting your springs, go ahead and order yourself a brand new magazine. You can never have too many, anyway.

Polishing - Absolutely! Just don't remove metal. A polished 1911 is a happy 1911! :)

Finally, please don't send it off for any kind of metal work (checkering, serrations, dovetails, etc., unless you're purposefully turning it into an EDC gun to meet your very specific needs. You can't undo that work, and you have a very nice Series 70 there.

I'm sure I've left out a hundred things, but I'll keep my eye on this thread and help where I can. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm a heck of an enthusiast!

cptdean
08-20-2010, 05:18 PM
A happy note, my Silent Thunder for this one should arrive tomorrow.

You're going to love that Silent Thunder! I carried my all-steel 1975 Combat Commander in it and it was very comfortable. The leather-lined Kydex will also keep your Colt looking nice. Great customer service, too. Rob is good people.

OldLincoln
08-20-2010, 06:02 PM
I agree re silent thunder, I already have one for my PM9 and didn't hesitate to get another.

I had planned to polish the feed ramp as it is horrible with horizontal tool marks that are more like gouges (maybe they are?). However, it's an alloy frame and I have been amply warned that polishing WILL ruin the frame. I'm glad I asked around before doing it as there aren't a lot of those frames around and they are costly.

I wish we'd talked before I ordered my 18# Wolf recoil spring. I toyed with the notion of getting the kit to have on hand and not repeatedly pay for shipping. Problem is I do that and a year or so later can't find it anyway. Without a detent for the plunger tube spring, the stop moves quite easily. Perhaps I shouldn't have oiled that part.

Before buying the mags I read up on the at the 1911 forum. Everybody seemed jazzed about the Chip McCormick mags so I bought a pair of 10 round Power Plus. I must have been in my Tim Taylor mindset because now I regret getting such loooonnnngg mags. They stick out of my special decoder ring secret mag pockets in my pants. Now I think 8rds would have been plenty and they would be easier to carry. Also think I may be better off with the original Colt mags. So if anybody wants to trade a pair of official Colt 1911 8 rd blue mags (Manufacturer #: 12150) for a pair of Chip McCormick stainless 10 rd Power Plus mags drop me a note.

Ammunition may be the cure for my issues. FMJ feeds fine and no slide locks, I have to shoot it again, but I believe the Federal Classic 185gn Hi-Shok JHP soot okay also.

NOTE: I paused to check out the ammo and I just discovered that the HSTs are 1mm longer than the Hi-Shok. So I load 5 Hi-Shok on top of 2 HST's. I can slow rack the Hi-Shoks but the HST don't want to chamber or extract on slow speed. I'll take another trip to the range in the next couple days and see if all my troubles disappear! Always optimistic, I am.

Another advantage is they are standard pressure and I was warned away from +P because the aluminum frame will develop cracks. I never thought of Colt 1911's as being wossie but what do I know. Hey if it likes it it's good - maybe I'll name the gun "Mikey" as in "Let Mikey try it" fame.

I'm finding this gun is like my Colt Mustang PocketLite in that it may too special for carry so I sold it to buy my PM9. Now the Mustang was as new and darned pretty, but this one is in very good condition. I'll keep it for awhile but someday may send it to a new home and get a specific work type gun for carry. In the meantime I'll keep it standard and pretty without hacking up the thing.

cptdean
08-20-2010, 06:23 PM
I agree re silent thunder, I already have one for my PM9 and didn't hesitate to get another.

I had planned to polish the feed ramp as it is horrible with horizontal tool marks that are more like gouges (maybe they are?). However, it's an alloy frame and I have been amply warned that polishing WILL ruin the frame. I'm glad I asked around before doing it as there aren't a lot of those frames around and they are costly.

I wish we'd talked before I ordered my 18# Wolf recoil spring. I toyed with the notion of getting the kit to have on hand and not repeatedly pay for shipping. Problem is I do that and a year or so later can't find it anyway. Without a detent for the plunger tube spring, the stop moves quite easily. Perhaps I shouldn't have oiled that part.

Before buying the mags I read up on the at the 1911 forum. Everybody seemed jazzed about the Chip McCormick mags so I bought a pair of 10 round Power Plus. I must have been in my Tim Taylor mindset because now I regret getting such loooonnnngg mags. They stick out of my special decoder ring secret mag pockets in my pants. Now I think 8rds would have been plenty and they would be easier to carry. Also think I may be better off with the original Colt mags. So if anybody wants to trade a pair of official Colt 1911 8 rd blue mags (Manufacturer #: 12150) for a pair of Chip McCormick stainless 10 rd Power Plus mags drop me a note.

Ammunition may be the cure for my issues. FMJ feeds fine and no slide locks, I have to shoot it again, but I believe the Federal Classic 185gn Hi-Shok JHP soot okay also.

NOTE: I paused to check out the ammo and I just discovered that the HSTs are 1mm longer than the Hi-Shok. So I load 5 Hi-Shok on top of 2 HST's. I can slow rack the Hi-Shoks but the HST don't want to chamber or extract on slow speed. I'll take another trip to the range in the next couple days and see if all my troubles disappear! Always optimistic, I am.

Another advantage is they are standard pressure and I was warned away from +P because the aluminum frame will develop cracks. I never thought of Colt 1911's as being wossie but what do I know. Hey if it likes it it's good - maybe I'll name the gun "Mikey" as in "Let Mikey try it" fame.

I'm finding this gun is like my Colt Mustang PocketLite in that it may too special for carry so I sold it to buy my PM9. Now the Mustang was as new and darned pretty, but this one is in very good condition. I'll keep it for awhile but someday may send it to a new home and get a specific work type gun for carry. In the meantime I'll keep it standard and pretty without hacking up the thing.

Yep, need to avoid reworking aluminum or you'll have to have it re-anodized. You can still polish the little feed lip on the barrel and the chamber if you like, but it's probably a non-issue since FMJ is feeding well for you.

Sounds like you've got everything else covered and you should have a fun range outing next time. The next thing I'd pay attention to is where the brass is extracting. My Combat Commander liked to throw it at my head (still have a half-moon nick in my melon as a memento). If this happens to you, it's because the extractor is clocking in its channel and you can fix it by hand-fitting an oversized EGW firing pin stop. Contrary to popular belief, you do not need to lower the ejection port.

I like that you're keeping the gun as-is. You'll definitely get more money for it someday. If you have the original box, parts, and papers, you'll probably fetch between $900 and $1200 at auction, depending on finish and overall condition of the gun. If you've got a blued model, keep me on the notification list when you're ready to sell. If you "customize" the gun, you'll probably never see more than $700 for it.

I understand about not wanting to carry it, though I do believe it's absolutely worthy. I sold off my CC because it was nickel and I didn't want to have it refinished. I also sold off my New Agent because (though pretty) I didn't like treating an $820 like a beater, and I really wanted real sights again. I may very well end up buying a $550 Springfield Micro GI if I want to 1911-carry something smaller than my GI. Options rock! :)

OldLincoln
08-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Ah HA!! See, you do understand! "... fetch between $900 and $1200....I also sold off my New Agent because (though pretty) I didn't like treating an $820 like a beater" So I'm going to carry a $900 gun (it is blued) and flinch every time I bump the grip handle. Problem is whatever I'd get would also be a $900 gun. Right now I've got too much on my plate to even be fooling with this. Somehow this stuff creeps into the way of doing what I should be doing.

cptdean
08-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I think I may just be biased toward protecting safe queens. I didn't mind carrying my SIG P229, or P239, or P230, or my Glock 23 or 26, or my Springfield XD45 or GI, and I certainly don't care what I subject my LCP to. But a nice old Series 70, or a mid-80s P220 .38 Super, or a pretty New Agent are viewed through different eyes. I know it's me, but that's just the way I am.

But even with all I mentioned above, I'm looking more forward to carrying my P45 (when it gets here) than almost anything else.

Blued, you say? ;)

OldLincoln
08-20-2010, 06:54 PM
Pssst, wanna see some pretty pictures??:)

cptdean
08-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Yep!

OldLincoln
08-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Here are a few pics probably in 2 posts.

http://kahrtalk.com/members/oldlincoln-albums-1911-picture326-rt-profile-open.jpg

http://kahrtalk.com/members/oldlincoln-albums-1911-picture323-lft-profile-closed.jpg

http://kahrtalk.com/members/oldlincoln-albums-1911-picture324-lft-slide.jpg

http://kahrtalk.com/members/oldlincoln-albums-1911-picture321-compare-mags.jpg

OldLincoln
08-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Post 2

http://kahrtalk.com/members/oldlincoln-albums-1911-picture319-7rd-mag-loaded.jpg

http://kahrtalk.com/members/oldlincoln-albums-1911-picture320-10rd-mag-loaded.jpg

http://kahrtalk.com/members/oldlincoln-albums-1911-picture325-ramp-2.jpg

http://kahrtalk.com/members/oldlincoln-albums-1911-picture322-left-side-inside.jpg

These last two are painful. You can see for yourself why I'm concerned about the ramp and since looking into it further, the left side of the mag area.

OldLincoln
08-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Well, I'm not bragging on the pristine condition, but it is 32 years old. I doubt if my range action helped matters running that HST ammo through it. I suspect much of the brass came from that.

OldLincoln
08-20-2010, 08:52 PM
I just saw a pic of another 1911 feed ramp in much worse condition than mine. Perhaps it's all relative and along side the mirror finish of my PM9 it is just ugly, but it might be the pretties one at the dance for all I know.

Reminds me of the really pretty girls I dated around the world but I didn't date at all when I got to Goose Bay Labrador. I hope nobody gets offended, but all of the natives I saw looked like 40 miles of bad road. The permanent station guys said "they never get pretty, but they do get better lookin after a bunch a beers".

More guys are telling me I need to replace a bunch of springs in this gun. I'm wondering if I shouldn't let my gunny take a hard look at it and do a gothrough or whatever you call it replace springs and fit everything and make sure it's right before I carry it on some cold night when a band of zombies come out to play. What do you think?

Bawanna
08-20-2010, 10:16 PM
That ramp don't look that bad to me. You said you already ordered the 18# Wolfe spring, that should work just fine. Try different ammo, and your McCormick mags or the factory and see how she goes.
Those ole Colts are made to run and it will.

jlottmc
08-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Listen to the folks here. They're right. Keep in mind that in the 70's hollowpoints were still pretty much on the drawing board. The 1911 was really made to run hard ball ammo. Cut it's teeth on ball, and earned it's legendary reputation on it. Recently, folks have been throating and polishing the feed ramps and chambers to make the flying trashcans feed properly. Use a round with a ball like profile and don't look back. FYI 18# springs are factory for a 5" bbl 1911, 20# for the Commander, and 16# for long slides. That being said I use 22-24# in my full sized steel framed 1911 (I like to play with hot loads too, and after a long range session it helps the gun return to battery). Listen to what these guys are saying.

cptdean
08-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Well, I did some more digging on spring weights. While I was clearly wrong in saying that 16# is stock for a Commander, it is what's stock in my 5" bbl GI. Looks like Jocko was right that 18# is stock (it's what I ordered for my Commander), and he, jolttmc, and others are advising well to go heavier to reduce feed issues. But I would personally only go heavier after you're sure you don't have any feed issues with ball.

BTW, that feed ramp looks just like my New Agent, and I wouldn't worry about it. Your barrel also looks good and, as jlottmc was saying, that thing is designed to run ball so I'd stick with that profile. As said earlier, you have plenty of modern options for defensive carry.

Also, you shouldn't have problems getting work done on aluminum, as long as it's re-anodized after.

That's a really nice Commander, and I'd hold onto it.

gb6491
08-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Nice Commander!

Just a couple of thoughts: not knowing how thoroughly the pistol has been cleaned (no insult intended), it might be worth taking a look at the extractor tunnel (can cause feed issues if the extractor can't move freely or is too tight) and the plunger tube (the plunger end that puts pressure on the slide stop may not be moving freely or full travel).

It looks like someone may have used a bad magazine at some point in that pistol, thus the damage to the sidewall of the magazine well.

I also agree with those that advise leaving that aluminum feed ramp alone.
If it turns out to be the culprit in your feed issues, either heed jlottmc's advice or send the pistol to EGW and have a steel ramp insert installed:
Steel Feed Ramp Insert - $40.00 : Evolution Gun Works , World Class Precision Parts (http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_48&products_id=48)

Regards,
Greg

jocko
08-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Listen to the folks here. They're right. Keep in mind that in the 70's hollowpoints were still pretty much on the drawing board. The 1911 was really made to run hard ball ammo. Cut it's teeth on ball, and earned it's legendary reputation on it. Recently, folks have been throating and polishing the feed ramps and chambers to make the flying trashcans feed properly. Use a round with a ball like profile and don't look back. FYI 18# springs are factory for a 5" bbl 1911, 20# for the Commander, and 16# for long slides. That being said I use 22-24# in my full sized steel framed 1911 (I like to play with hot loads too, and after a long range session it helps the gun return to battery). Listen to what these guys are saying.

the 1911 was built on hard ball design. deviate from that and issues do start to show up. all soveable but again the gun was originally designed for hard ball..

OldLincoln
08-21-2010, 10:32 PM
I posted a few up from here that I discovered the HST are 1mm longer than the Federal Hi-Shok which I grabbed when I couldn't get anything else. Don't know anything about them other than "Mikey" (my 1911) likes them a lot. Test fired from all mags today fast, slow, in-between and narry a hitch.

So I tried to swap my 1.5 boxes of HST for Gold Dots and the range master was eager to get a hold of the HST, but he simply didn't have any suitable defensive rounds.

As for the cleanup of Mikey, I'll replace the recoil spring and may take it to my gunny who would like to deal with one like this. I'll try to get him to detail strip, clean and change out the other springs, but show me how to do it without charging too much extra. He's a little older than me and likes to teach so he may go for it.

I have more homework to do on the 1911, gb6491, what's an extractor tunnel?

So guys, all of you have been great helping me with this one. I'm sticking around and will be trying to learn from each of you so thanks for this and thanks in advance for the next one!

Edit: PS: My new Silent Thunder IWB holster came today and it is really sweet. I now have one for each gun and ammo for each, so for the first time am in the position of "which one shall I carry today?"

gb6491
08-21-2010, 10:56 PM
I have more homework to do on the 1911, gb6491, what's an extractor tunnel?

Hi,
The extractor on your Commander sits in a hole that is drilled in the slide from the breech face to the rear of the slide. If you hold the pistol out in front of you as if shooting, you'll see an oval piece on the right rear of the slide: that's the rear of the extractor.
Here's a pretty good "how to" for removing it:
1911 Disassembly: Detail Strip Slide (http://how-i-did-it.org/detail-1911/slide_detail.html)

Some other good info:
The Sight 1911 Maintenance Page (http://www.sightm1911.com/Care/1911_Maintain.htm)

Regards,
Greg

jlottmc
08-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Greg, good stuff that. Took me a few years of doing it before I got to where I can do it with out looking. That wasn't a bad series 80 either...

P.s. Lincoln appears to have the series 70, and an internal extractor.

OldLincoln
09-01-2010, 05:48 PM
I received the Wolf springs, recoil and firing pin, and tore it down and replaced without incident. I cleaned all I could in the upper first with brake cleaner then Gunzilla and finally lubed where I thought necessary - pretty much the equivalent of lube spots on a Kahr. It was really easy and a good experience.

The slide no longer feels mushy when racking. It has a good resistance and, just for kicks, I'll hand rack a few HST at the house to see if it likes them now.

I read where you are not supposed to slingshot or slide release the slide on an empty chamber because it can crack the alloy frame. Did you know that? Do you buy it? I saw pics of a cracked alloy frame and read lots of warnings like don't remove the main spring without fully supporting the frame as it can warp, etc. The alloy frame is a lot lighter than steel but fragile. This is a good reason to not shoot +P ammo as warned on the 1911 forum.

johnh
09-02-2010, 06:56 AM
I recall there were many heated discussions about the durability of alloy frames in 1911s. Personally I have never seen it be an issue, even on guns that were shot a lot. I suspect it depends on what one defines as "a lot". 10,000, 25,000, 100,000 rounds? Good 1911s run for a very long time. So comparing alloy to steel over the guns lifespan with a high round count, alloy would not be as durable. For most shooters, the round count probably never becomes high enough. I have not worried at all about it with my Kimber CDP Pro Carry. I shake it down now and then to make sure everything is working as it should be, but tend to shoot other pistols more when at the range.

John

oldtex
09-02-2010, 07:28 AM
I received the Wolf springs, recoil and firing pin, and tore it down and replaced without incident. I cleaned all I could in the upper first with brake cleaner then Gunzilla and finally lubed where I thought necessary - pretty much the equivalent of lube spots on a Kahr. It was really easy and a good experience.

The slide no longer feels mushy when racking. It has a good resistance and, just for kicks, I'll hand rack a few HST at the house to see if it likes them now.

I read where you are not supposed to slingshot or slide release the slide on an empty chamber because it can crack the alloy frame. Did you know that? Do you buy it? I saw pics of a cracked alloy frame and read lots of warnings like don't remove the main spring without fully supporting the frame as it can warp, etc. The alloy frame is a lot lighter than steel but fragile. This is a good reason to not shoot +P ammo as warned on the 1911 forum.

Letting the slide go forward on an empty chamber on a 1911 can cause the sear and hammer to collide, or bounce against each other. This is typically referred to as "trigger bounce". If the gun in question has had a trigger job, this practice can allegedly degrade the trigger job.

I've never heard that dropping the slide on an empty chamber can cause frame cracks in an alloy 1911.

My understanding that the following can cause frame cracks in an alloy 1911: shooting the gun with a weak recoil spring, shooting +P ammo, and shooting too many rds of any kind ( but there's no general agreement on how many is too many).

It might be a good idea for you to seek expertise on 1911s from a smith who specializes in them. Also try googling "sightm1911" and "10-8 performance" Those are a couple of good websites with info on 1911s.

OldLincoln
09-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks, guys. I just spent the last 2-3 hours reading the articles in the 2 sites oldtex mentioned. Very informative even tho they don't go into the alloy frame. I did read that it isn't a good idea to let the slide slam shut on an empty chamber as it causes wear to a few components. I don't intend to do that anyway, but it's good to know why.

The not shooting +P is particularly painful right now as I have 1.5 boxes of HST +P. I cannot find another decent defense round locally. With the replacement of the recoil spring with 18# Wolf the HST feeds flawlessly via slide stop and slingshot. So it's only the damage factor that holds me back.

If I could shoot a few rounds to prove it in and only carry the rest do you think it would be okay? Maybe shoot 3 rounds a month to prove the feeding is still okay. I suspect it;s one of those things where it would be A-OK up until it cracks the frame and nobody can predict if that would be the next round or 100 from next.

Bawanna
09-02-2010, 03:51 PM
I suspect it's one of those deals where a few rounds wouldn't hurt anything but a steady diet would be bad. Myself, I don't think I'd take the chance with your dads gun even though I think they would work fine.
Maybe you could get a couple boxes of Gold dots or Winchesters or something, standard velocity.
Since the +p's arent recommended it would be a shame to get them working, use them up and then have to switch to something else all for a box and a half.
Just typing out loud. If you figure out something you want to try but can't get it, I'll get it and mail it to ya. If I can't get it, it can't be got. Least ways thats what the cops around my office always say. Not sure it's good or bad.........................

OldLincoln
10-08-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm posting in my old Colt Commander thread to finally and publicly announce my Colt Commander 45 is officially placed in service!!

It's been thoroughly scrubbed re-springed and has 3 new Check-Mate 7rd mags (stiff springs) feeding it through Hybrid Lips and pushed by the patented CheckMate follower. I park it in my new Tucker Answer holster which fixed the sag problem.

Today I shot 3 mags of FMJ and HST standard Pressure and it ran so smooth it's hard to believe it's the same gun.

Now I need to sell 63 rounds of Federal 45 HST +P ammo ($50) and 2 10rd Chip McCormick Power Plus Stainless Mags ($30).