PDA

View Full Version : Can you advise? CW9

yodaman
08-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to site and Kahr

I just got a new CW9. I took it to range for the second time recently and to be honest I wasnt to impressed with the accuracy.

Total, I have put approx. 300 rds through it. It always seems to hit low. And sometimes low and to the right. I am using proper techniques, because with other pistols it's not a problem.

I bought the Kahr because I heard nothing but great things about them. I enjoy the feel, frame, and overall design. It just seems that this pistol has bad accuracy.....Is that a common thing?

I know it has the lower end barrel, but after reading the website, it just seems like the accuracy isn't there like they claim.

Can anyone advise? Is it just the one I have?

I have a few more questions, but I will start with this one.:)

slowpoke
08-22-2010, 12:53 AM
May not be the gun.
I have a CW40 and I also had difficulties at first. I was shooting all over the place!
What I found is that a very firm two hand grip helped out a lot. I did a lot of dry firing aiming at something till I could hold my site on target as I pulled the trigger. The Kahr trigger is a pain to get used to but after awhile everything just came together for me.

ripley16
08-22-2010, 06:29 AM
I suggest you may need to become more familiar with the grip, the trigger and sights, which may feel a little different from many other guns you are comfortable with. This was the case with me. Give it a few range visits, your accuracy may improve with time.

Mudinyeri
08-22-2010, 06:48 AM
How many other pistols do you shoot with slim grips and double action triggers? Not trying to be a jerk, but I shoot a lot of pistols and had to get used to the Kahrs for a while before I could shoot accurately.

copterdrvr
08-22-2010, 07:16 AM
Not trying to be a jerk either but I'm gonna have to go with the historical perspective and guess it's the fact that you haven't become "aquainted" well enough yet with your Kahr and it's trigger system.

Try this for a test-try shooting your pistol from a rest. Find a place where you can shoot across some kind of bench so that you can sit down and place your arms and hands on the bench for support. Bring a towel that you can fold up and use as a cushion for your hands and forearms. Concentrate really hard on smoothly "squeezing" the trigger until the gun fires.

This should allow you to see what the accuracy of the pistol is and help to reduce "shooter error" as much as possible. The triggiers on these little pistols are something that takes alittle time "learning". They're awesome-but different!

yodaman
08-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Wow! Thanks so much for the advise (slowpoke, ripley16, mudinyeri, copterdrvr). I didn't think I would get that much response.....Kahrtalk rocks!

I will definitely give it more rds through the gun with all the tips given.

So like I said, I have a couple of more questions......next:

So this CW9 was really an impulse buy while I was at the store "just looking". I took into account all that I had heard about Kahr, plus the way it felt in hand. That was about it.

I then come to find out about the non match barrel, and that the sights are not easily replaced.....which make it so that there arent many options to be replaced with (i.e XS big dot).

Is there an option to upgrade to the match grade barrel (I looked online but cant find) and the sights to found online are nothing impressive, I really like the XS big dot, but due to no dovetail on front sight it does not work on CW. Will no dovetail be major limiting factor?

I guess I'm asking .....overall can I upgrade anything on this gun or am I sort of stuck because it's not a higer end PM model?

Please don't get me wrong I really enjoy it and it feels great, I just want to learn more about.

Bawanna
08-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Ok, I'll be a jerk, somebody has to do it. You didn't say how much you shot but I agree with the previous non jerks. Give it more time. That lower grade barrel ain't hurting a thing, not one tiny little bit and it's actually an upper end barrel if you ever decide you need to shoot lead. Not an issue, and hold your head up. Nothing wrong with good ole conventional rifling.
Do some dry firing, get more trigger time, show it some love and attention and I think you'll have a much more harmonious outcome.

wyntrout
08-22-2010, 10:58 AM
There are a lot of these guns in use here and the "match" barrel is unnecessary, especially for defense ranges. There are sight upgrades available for CWs now. The front sight is easily changed when compared to the tight dovetailed rear sight.
Check at the Kahr store and search online. There have been lots of posts on these topics. Here's one:
DP Front Sight Kahr Tritium Inserted Front Sight .180 Tall x .125 Wide, Match with DP or Factory Fixed Rear 019-059 Detail Page (http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000A5D-1249936281)

Sights for Kahr available. Call 888-744-4880 M-F 8am-5pm Central link:
http://www.xssights.com/store/handgun.html

Wynn:)

Mudinyeri
08-22-2010, 03:11 PM
IMO, "match" grade barrels are largely just marketing terms used to get you to pay a little more for a similar gun. Even at distances of 15 yards and less (common pistol distances) the individual shooting the gun is going to be much less accurate than the barrel (even if it's not match grade) on virtually any quality pistol produced in recent history.

jlottmc
08-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Well said. Most cowboys just can't admit that the gun shoots better than do.

yodaman
08-22-2010, 05:00 PM
HAHAHA you guys rock! No holding back! (jlottmc- the cowboy thing was GREAT!)

OK ...OK..I will get some snap caps and practice dry firing. And then just show it some love at the range and spend some quality time with it (I hope the Glock doesn't get jealous).

Don't get me wrong, out of all the pistols I have this one has to feel the best. I just wanted to know if it was me or the gun....it sounds like it me! To bad they dont make the Black Rose slide for CW.

Do you guys have any other ideas on how I can sup it up? I was thinking a crimson trace laser....Can you advise?

copterdrvr
08-22-2010, 05:29 PM
I've heard it put another way- "it ain't the arrow, it's the Indian".

I'm willing to bet that 98% of the pistol shooters out there can't come close to shooting to the capabilities that their pistols offer if said pistol was placed in some form of a Ransom Rest and the CW9 is an inherently accurate pistol, out of the box.

Again, no offense, but with the concerns that you listed, I'm pretty confident that it's not the arrow, it's the Indian. Two obvious points: shooting low is probably due to the fact that the sights and/or sight picture your using now is new to you and you haven't figured it out yet.

The pulling of the shots is, I'm afraid, all you and it's due to the probably new (to you) trigger of the CW9. You just need to shoot it a bunch to get the feel of it as the Kahr trigger pulls are AWESOME for what they are-defensive firearms that are meant to be carried loaded and ready to fire at an instants notice.

I replaced the sights on my CW9 with a set of Trijicon sights that I ordered from Kahr for 80 bucks. Awesome sights that took about 5 minutes to change. You haven't looked enough for what's available for this pistol-I believe.

wyntrout
08-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Unless you just like exercise and cycling the snap caps in and out of the gun, just use one and reset the striker by pulling the slide back about 1/2"... much easier dry-fire practice.

jocko
08-22-2010, 05:55 PM
HAHAHA you guys rock! No holding back! (jlottmc- the cowboy thing was GREAT!)

OK ...OK..I will get some snap caps and practice dry firing. And then just show it some love at the range and spend some quality time with it (I hope the Glock doesn't get jealous).

Don't get me wrong, out of all the pistols I have this one has to feel the best. I just wanted to know if it was me or the gun....it sounds like it me! To bad they dont make the Black Rose slide for CW.

Do you guys have any other ideas on how I can sup it up? I was thinking a crimson trace laser....Can you advise?

take those snap caps and put them in with about 30 rounds and let someone load yhour magazine so u don't know if one, two or ore snap caps are in that magazine. Trust me when I say you will see first hand what u are doing wrong. Just putting snap caps in the chamber and dryfirng it will not show your ills for 31 you know it is a snap cap so you will do all things right. Not knowing if you have a snap cap or live round in the chamber will show if you are anticipating the "boom" thing and recoil. flinching will show up big time. by the time you get that trigger back to makethe boom thing, your anticipation might have that barrel now pointing towards the ground. Also Maybe not...

I have literally thousands of rounds out of my PM9 and every once in awhile my brother wll stick in a snap cap and wow, what a fool I make of myself when I hit that snap cap. I am surprised I hit anything..

40Kahr
08-22-2010, 07:15 PM
I have a CW9 but with about 150 rds thru it. I also have a Kahr 40 cal that I carry. The CW9 has amazing accuracy. Shooting it the first time I was easily ringing steel on an IDPA shaped metal target from 40 yards out.

I shoot XD's single action in IDPA so getting used to double action takes a little getting used to. Are you left handed? Low and to the right indicates too much "finger" on the trigger. Too much finger pulls the barrel down and right for lefties. Only the pad of your finger needs to be on the trigger. However,Kahrs dbl action is very smooth. You have to press the trigger straight back. Ditto with bench rest. Remove all the variables and start from short range and move back.

Good luck. Its a great carry gun.

40Kahr
08-22-2010, 07:22 PM
I have a Crimson Trace on my 40 cal. Awesome accessory. I hope I never have to use it but if I have to light someone up hopefully it would be just with the laser.

yodaman
08-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Unless you just like exercise and cycling the snap caps in and out of the gun, just use one and reset the striker by pulling the slide back about 1/2"... much easier dry-fire practice.

Perfect! thanks for the tip!

Copterdrvr---- "it ain't the arrow, it's the Indian". AWESOME! i'm not only new to this forum i am new to any forum----I will use this one day if/when I ever make senior member.....LOL

OK....so I'm going to practice dry firing (with 1 snap cap), put many more rounds through it and spend some quality time with it at range.

40Kahr---Thanks fore advice on laser, I may get one soon.

Copterdrvr----I did see the trijicon, but was hoping for the xs big dot. Since they dont make it for Kahr I may go with the the trijicon.

Ok...so what about holsters? I live in Cali so no CCW here. Where can I find a good holster for it (Besides the Kahr website). I do like the galco Stinger style, something with no thumb break as it will only be for range...can you advise?:confused:

mr surveyor
08-23-2010, 12:25 AM
o.k...... another jerk chiming in here:D

This is a little diagram that can help diagnose a lot of problems (it's been floating around the web for several years):

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/cowpi/MISSTHETARGET.jpg

often with small framed, light weight hand guns, and the anticipation of recoil, it's not uncommon to "white knuckle" the grip the instant before the anticipated recoil. This is especially true with a long trigger pull that may be a bit unfamiliar. Another thing to look for is finger placement of your trigger finger. A lot of folks put way too much finger in the trigger guard. Try placing only the pad of your index finger on the trigger, just forward of the knuckle crease, and see if you don't see an improvement in trigger control.

just some more suggestions

surv

yodaman
08-23-2010, 02:02 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the diagram Surv. any help is appreciated. I really like this Kahr and want to make the most of it!

Cowat
08-23-2010, 08:55 AM
I did see the trijicon, but was hoping for the xs big dot. Since they dont make it for Kahr I may go with the the trijicon.

The XS sights can be installed on the CW series if your have a good gunsmith cut the front dovetail.

wyntrout
08-23-2010, 08:57 AM
XS sights:

Sights for Kahr available. Call 888-744-4880 M-F 8am-5pm Central

XS Sight Systems - Handgun Sights - 24/7 Express (http://www.xssights.com/store/handgun.html)

also:

DP Front Sight Kahr Tritium Inserted Front Sight .180 Tall x .125 Wide, Match with DP or Factory Fixed Rear 019-059 Detail Page (http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000A5D-1249936281)

Wynn

OldLincoln
08-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Yoda, I recommend you hold off on stuff until you get the feel of the CW. I was one that these guys showed extreme patience with as I over thought everything about my PM9. Jocko kept telling me to quit fussing and just go shoot it like I stole it. Looking back I wish I had just done that from the beginning. They don't show pictures of "what's normal" so we fuss over it when it's fine.

On the other hand, it was nice to have this group hold my hand through the learning precess which is still on-going. My point is don't think the worst when you have questions.

I fussed over mine and now I think it's a terrific gun and it has my full confidence it will work if I need it..

Bawanna
08-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Very well said OldLincoln. Don't need to get worked up or all lathered over some of this stuff. And this is just the place to feel things out when there's doubt. Just don't assume the worst as you said so well.

yodaman
08-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Oldlincoln----THANK YOU!!!!!

I feel like I have just been given a gold nugget!

Yes, the guys who have replied have been more than helpful, while not being jerks....lol. Thanks to you also bawanna.

I think I may just head to the range soon and maybe only take the Kahr and get used to it. Not rush anything and focus on getting used to the sight picture and trigger.

I indeed alos look forward to the day when I finish breaking it in and have full confidence in mine.

Thank again lincoln.....If you have any, I'm sure your kids/grandkids get some great life lessons from you.

Thanks again.
God bless!

Bawanna
08-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Old Lincoln is only 23, its one of them names to kind of throw ya off. While young, hes still wicked sharp in the mind department. Remembers stuff and can stay focuse........oh look a bird just flew by my window...............

yodaman
08-23-2010, 04:56 PM
HAHAHAha....Nice!

OldLincoln
08-23-2010, 05:30 PM
23? Yeah I remember '23, we were headed West following the Donner wagons who kept pulling away from us as we first had busted a wheel and then one of the mules up and died. We got lost out in the great Mojave and somehow went South until we picked up the Southern Route. Yup, always wondered how them Donner folks made out.

No but thanks Bawanna! I do remember being 23 well as I had been married only a few months - remember it darn well I do... sigh.... But I'm lucky I guess, still love the sweet woman and we're headed toward 44 next month.

BTW, Congrats to you ole Bawanna fella. 25 years is a milestone event. Like I told me bride, I signed up for 50 and am half way there. She's gettin worried now and playing real nice.

I gotta tell you a story then will end the hijack. On our 30th anniversary, our son who was 24 at the time gave us the following letter:

Celebration

Do we under celebrate the accomplishments of marital birthdays?
Is it possible we have overlooked their importance?
In celebrating a birthday,
We are congratulating one for living another year.
That is worth a celebration,
However, providing your health is reasonably good,
And you stay clear of actions that could cause risk
To your wellbeing, you will likely live.

In celebrating an anniversary,
We are celebrating a commitment of love between a couple.
A commitment that as long as you live
You will love, cherish, respect,
and be faithful to each other.
It takes more than just breathing in and out
To honor that commitment.
An anniversary is the annual rejoicing
Of the accomplishment of a couple's
Commitment to one another.
An anniversary is truly worth a celebration!

Now Bawanna, you old fart, go out and buy her some roses!!!

Bawanna
08-23-2010, 05:36 PM
I did as you instruct. Didn't ya see my whining in the August say what ya want thread. 145 dollars for 25 roses. Feel like I was robbed at gunpoint.
Always wondered how them Donners made out myself.

RogerP9fan
08-23-2010, 11:31 PM
I got my P9 3 weeks ago and have been to range once and fired 100 rounds. Flawless, I was happy, but my groups were a little low at 7 yrds. Like you, I was surprised being that the bull is obliterated with my Glocks. I attibuted it to 2 things.

1) Long Kahr trigger pull that might be causing me to pull the gun down a bit right before letting off?

2) I'm not used to these sights.

Anyway, I got some good tips on shooting techniques from fellow members which I will employ Thurs. and report back.

yodaman
09-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Ok Ok....So I went to range and put a hundred or round through the CW and it seems to work fine now. It must have self fixed what ever it was....

HAHAHa... It appears that the problem was ME! (go figure). I took all of the tips that everyone here said and my groupings were very nice! Trigger control, breathing, blah, blah, blah..it worked fantastic!

I plan to put a few more rds through it and then upgrade to a laser so I never have to aim again. Just kidding!

A buddy of mine hit 7 out of 7 on the center dot at 7 yards.

Thanks again guys! Now all I need is some cool gunwebsites to keep me busy ordering stuff...can you advise?

Zippo Guy
09-03-2010, 05:49 PM
It may be the sights. I am not a new shooter and not new to Kahr. I just picked up a new Kahr .380. From a rest at 7 yards it groups into 4 inches, but it is seven inches low and 8 inches to the right. I plan on sending it back for night sites like I did with my other Kahr's and hope that corrects the problem, it has with the others I sent in for new sights.

copterdrvr
09-04-2010, 06:01 AM
4 inches at 7 yards-wow, I guess I'm really lucky as mine shoots out a ragged 1 1/2 inch hole at 7 yards. And of course that's from a rest as I sure as heck can't hold it that tight.