PDA

View Full Version : Leaving my pm9 loaded in a hot vehicle

f44life
08-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Is there any reason i should worry about leaving my pm9 loaded in my vehicle at work...It probably gets 120 degrees in there on a hot day. Its in my center console. I would carrry it at work but my work is a gun free zone and i dont work in a office...I am in many positions all day climbing up machines and kneeling so i dont want to risk my job.

Dietrich
08-22-2010, 07:45 AM
I leave a .357 snubbie in my pickup center console all the time.As an experiment,I left the same ammunition in it for the entire months of June and July.I live in North Carolina and the summer months here are hellish with heat and humidity.When I pulled the .357 out at the range a couple of weeks ago,all rounds fired with no problems at all.I also had a speed loader full and they fired as well.I don`t think you`ll have a problem with leaving your gun in your vehicle.

f44life
08-22-2010, 07:50 AM
thanks

jlottmc
08-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Here in TX and as some one who has seen NC's summers, it is not a problem. Gets a little warm here too. Never had a problem with a weapon in the truck. Cassette tapes on the dash... that's a whole other story.

capriaz
08-23-2010, 09:03 PM
I have left my CW9 in the car. No problems except it is hot to touch when I put it in my pocket. It has been 110-115 outside and we have seen temps over 220 in the car.

But it is a dry heat LOL.

kb2wji
08-23-2010, 09:55 PM
I have left my CW9 in the car. No problems except it is hot to touch when I put it in my pocket. It has been 110-115 outside and we have seen temps over 220 in the car.

But it is a dry heat LOL.

Riiiiight. A blow torch is also dry heat :D No problem at all keeping your PM9 in the car. I keep a backup gun in my patrol car regularly, and there are always a few (ok, maybe a few hundred) loaded up AR15 mags in the car with me. Not even a remote concern. You're fine :cool:

RogerP9fan
08-23-2010, 11:20 PM
I wondered the same thing. Do you think the polymer and/or steel components which are repeatedly expanding and contracting due to extreme temperature fluctuations may negatively effect the mechanical internal torerances of the gun and possibly it's functionality?

In other words, I don't think it's a good idea. But, you gotta do whatcha gotta do. Rules are the rules.

wyntrout
08-24-2010, 12:02 AM
I don't think the Kahrs will go Salvador Dali on you... like his clocks or watches in this famous painting:
Wynn:D

jlottmc
08-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Roger, I've left everything from steel framed pistols, to the latest greatest tupperware rifles in direct sun around here and haven't had a problem. As I said, cassettes, and CD's, those are much thinner, and a much less durable plastic. Plus, many of the LE's around here have rifles in their vehicles and I know they don't come out until qual time. Not trying to be a **** here but... I'm not so worried about fatiguing parts.

P.s. what about the steel and aluminum in the engine block? Those don't don't retemper themselves, and the ones that break, are usually caused by some one going way past the design limits.

Seahawk60
08-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Do you think the polymer and/or steel components which are repeatedly expanding and contracting due to extreme temperature fluctuations may negatively effect the mechanical internal torerances of the gun and possibly it's functionality?

Nope. It gets a LOT hotter when shooting. I routinely do 19 round "dumps" of range ammo that simulates my carry load of one mag and two spares. That's 3 mags (+1) with my PM9. It gets HOT...way too hot to touch the metal parts. Never had a problem after thousands of rounds. And, if anything, that kind of "thermal shock" is MUCH quicker (i.e. more stressful) than the slow heating in a car and cooling after removing it.

jocko
08-31-2010, 05:09 AM
I have never read of a kahr, glock, Smith or any of the top name guns going south. I think we tend to worry about something that as of now I have not read of it happening. If polymer was a marginal material glock would have been out of business 25 years ago..

Just shoot um like you stole um and enjoy it.

I probably would be still carrying my airweight Smith revolver today had polymer guns not been invented and proven to hold up. I is very evident that about every new gun model that comes out today is POLYMER...

jlottmc
08-31-2010, 05:57 AM
That's a good point jocko, most new designs these days are tupperware. Not to mention that particular choice of materials has been used in grips (yes I know it's a different plastic) for decades as well. Never has been a problem. When I started carrying I would leave a gun in the truck, and around here I was more worried about ammo cooking off than I was anything else. No problems then or now.

joje
08-31-2010, 08:46 AM
i've heard of kydex holsters being ruined when left on the dash a sunny day (now why would one leave them there anyway?) but as long as things are kept out of direct sunlight it should be fine

Bawanna
08-31-2010, 09:09 AM
I'm no expert on tupperware but I think that Kydex stuff is different. The polymer is better stuff kind of like that drink they advertise.
They are both pretty tough but the kydex is more susceptible to heat and stuff. I think.

WMD
08-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Heat will not hurt the polymer on a Kahr gun (unless it is a blow torch! :eek:)

The polymer does not expand and contract due to heat. Moisture may cause that condition however.

Just my .02 cents :D

Bawanna
08-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Hi WMD, you've been away for a while AGAIN. Nice to hear you check in, hope all is well in your world.

Jeremiah/Az
08-31-2010, 06:59 PM
I don't leave my Kahr in the truck 'cause I'm afraid it might get stolen, but I do leave a Glock in it all the time. It is 109 or 110 every day here. The Glock is like the day I bought it-------ugly!
But it does fire everytime I pull the trigger.