PDA

View Full Version : West German SIG P220

Slugnutty
10-24-2017, 07:47 AM
So thoughts on a SIG P220 made in West Germany (is also marked on slide Made in W.Germany) from what I can tell from the under barrel shroud it is a 1977 production date.
I've been reading like a mad man all of yesterday and now today - other than it possibly developing frame cracking (which I now know where to look for) if someone fed it a continuous diet of +P .45 ACP with out replacing the pin in the rear block does any one have anything at all to add to my research on the gun?

Just like the CW45 I stumbled upon a few years ago now for a disgusting low price, this P220 is from a widow consigning her late husbands guns at my favorite local gun shop and all she is asking is $350 - Dave showed it to me last night and said I will have first "dibs" on it today if I want it.

I once carried a P229 in .40 for a few years like all newly minted CCW's do - more bigger is more better until I realized I don't live in Mogadishu but rural farm Idaho and foolishly sold it in place of just buying a different gun and keeping the P229 - this would simply be a gun to shoot and enjoy along with filling the "I don't have any SIG's anymore in my collection" firearm.

Again any input on anything related to the P220/W.German SIG's/general thoughts are appreciated

Bawanna
10-24-2017, 08:55 AM
I can't help ya pal, I don't know that much about Sigs other than if you let it pass I'd love to have seconds.

I don't own any Sigs either.

I really don't think you can go wrong on that. Hopefully one of the Sig guys around here will be along with some good feed back.

CPTKILLER
10-24-2017, 09:08 AM
Go to Sigforum.com. There is lots of info there.

Slugnutty
10-24-2017, 09:54 AM
Have read - searched - problem I see with most brand specific forums is We love our brand"A" but your company "Z" sucks. - go to company "Z" forum and you get our brand "Z" is awesome but brand "A" sucks.
Vicious circle - you know the drill - I find that here though more level heads prevail not so much KAHR is king but - we like KAHR and there are plenty of other fine brands out there too.

for anyone looking on good SIG information and not the typical (* cough cough SIGFORUM cough cough*) fanboyism - take a look at https://www.realgunreviews.com
The information there is like talking to "our" Greg on KAHR's -

yqtszhj
10-24-2017, 11:07 AM
For $350, buy it.

Bawanna
10-24-2017, 11:11 AM
I looked at the Sig Forum and I couldn't find anything specific. I'm not a member there so I didn't want to post a question.
I thought there might be a thread about the gun you mention but I couldn't find it. Didn't see a search capability, maybe cause I'm not a member?

Oh heck I'll take it. Then I can let you know first hand it it's any good or not. Seems like the right thing to do.

zamboni
10-24-2017, 06:55 PM
Yeah, for $350, if it is in decent shape buy it. If you don't like it I'll give you $360 for it.

Barth
10-24-2017, 07:16 PM
If it's in good condition?
That price is a steal.
Even if you don't like it, you can easily flip it for a profit.
I just bought a LNIB 1987 factory nickel W German P220 45 for $999 from Cabela's.
Fit, finish and trigger are nothing short of outstanding :cool:

Long as it hasn't been abused?
I'd jump on it quick!

jeepster09
10-24-2017, 07:50 PM
Great buy for $350.

Slugnutty
10-24-2017, 08:58 PM
I couldn't pass it up.
I'll have some pictures up tomorrow when lighting is better.
Screw it you cant take it with you -
I was incorrect on the date (bad eyes looking a very small letters) - it was made in 1983 which was the year I entered country U.S. Army Europe.

Lots of holster wear externally (obviously) but the frame rails / / internal contact parts so FAR less wear compared to the external - I purchased it to fill a hole and shoot.... anyhow - thanks for the input, pictures tomorrow

kenemoore
10-25-2017, 02:12 AM
Congrats, Now you need to get more mags, a holster, maybe better sights, stock up on .45ACP, maybe new grips.........The saga begins.

Barth
10-25-2017, 05:27 AM
I'm old school with my classic P220s.
And mostly run the older 7 round mags.
Do have four OEM extended 10 rounders.

Enjoy your new to you Sig Sauer!

Oh, BTW don't think there was +P 45 ammo back then.
When I contacted Sig Sauer was told the folded steel slide P220s are not +P rated.
So stick with standard pressure stuff.

Slugnutty
10-25-2017, 06:49 AM
Let see -have a KAHR CW45 so hundreds of .45 mix of std and +p

Checked for +p rating it DOES have a "Nitro" proof stamp, while that is not technically +P rating, its better than day old bread.

The rear sight is dovetailed in to the slide, the front sight is part of the milling of the slide - so unless I want it milled off by a gunsmith, I'm stuck with what Mama gave it.
(I think I've linked the picture correctly(P.S. NOT my photo, but what I do have))

Grips, already planning on replacing the 80's vintage plastic with some Hogue wood grips (Bawanna you make P220 wood grips??)

Mags, 7 round only as it is a European heel release mag not American button release like we all know and are use to.

http://www.kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15024&stc=1

340pd
10-25-2017, 07:27 AM
Just about anything marked W.German and Sig. is worth more than $350. That's only fifteen cups of Starbucks coffee. Your cost will increase when you add ten spare mags.

Poseidon
10-25-2017, 08:03 AM
Great find. Buy it. Have a p245 and won't get rid of it.

Slugnutty
10-25-2017, 08:41 AM
Going to try my pictures now... wish me luck:

https://i.imgur.com/7FX1Mseh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DWr4sFIh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6Fojp6hh.jpg

https://imgur.com/7FX1Mse

Bawanna
10-25-2017, 08:57 AM
"Grips, already planning on replacing the 80's vintage plastic with some Hogue wood grips (Bawanna you make P220 wood grips??)"

Unfortunately no, not yet. I've had request but they are way complicated inside and out. Maybe some day.

That's beautiful, I love the look and doubt I would change a thing. It has the look of a guy that knows what he's doing and has been there so to speak.
Obviously wouldn't work for me since I'm clueless and don't get out much but the look is there just the same.

Enjoy. And I shall once again ponder Sig grips....................

yqtszhj
10-25-2017, 09:58 AM
Ok man, thats awesome and that holster wear is just character on such a fine firearm.

dustnchips
10-25-2017, 03:46 PM
Looks just like my Browning double action 45 that's marked Sig Action or some such. I'm not at home so I can't check it. That one lives in my nightstand.

Slugnutty
10-25-2017, 04:33 PM
Looks just like my Browning double action 45 that's marked Sig Action or some such. I'm not at home so I can't check it. That one lives in my nightstand.

Yes, The BDA were sold from 1977 to 1980 - In 1983 Browning was preparing a gun for submission to the USA XM-9 handgun trials. They called this model the Browning Hi-power
The Browning High Powwer / BDA 9mm was modified to .45 acp and named the Model P220.

On the right side of the slide is marked "Sig-Sauer System Made in W. Germany." On the left side of the slide is "Browning Arms Co. Morgan Utah & Montreal, P.Q." On the Breech block right side is marked the caliber the barrel is chambered in. The proof markings are on the under side of the slide which is visible only when the slide is in battery. The serial number is found on the slide, the frame and the barrel.

Mine has the importer marking of Interarms Virginia

Bawanna
10-25-2017, 04:58 PM
I did not know all that. Pretty cool.

dustnchips
10-25-2017, 07:54 PM
That's my browning BDA in 45 cal. So now I know its really a Sig P220'

Slugnutty
10-25-2017, 09:00 PM
If I read what I've read correctly - A BDA is more "rare" than even the W. German 220's as it came before any 220's and was also possibly the Swiss Army A75 firearm -

O'Dell
10-26-2017, 12:38 AM
Buy it. I've had a 1995 nickel P220 for years. they're great guns. I sent mine back to SIG a few years ago to have the trigger lightened and for new night sites and it's even better now. The target on the right is first two mags with me getting use to the new trigger. The left one is my next three mags. Sorry about the flyer. Although the pistol is light for it's size, 25.7 ozs, it's still a bit large for me to carry.

Barth
10-26-2017, 06:43 PM
Buy it. I've had a 1995 nickel P220 for years. they're great guns. I sent mine back to SIG a few years ago to have the trigger lightened and for new night sites and it's even better now. The target on the right is first two mags with me getting use to the new trigger. The left one is my next three mags. Sorry about the flyer. Although the pistol is light for it's size, 25.7 ozs, it's still a bit large for me to carry.

That gun looks just like the 1987 nickel P220 I just bought :cool:
Had new Meps put on it (amber rear with green front).
Will run some ammo through it this weekend.
I'm very excited to throw some rounds down range!

O'Dell
10-28-2017, 12:25 AM
I think all the nickel 220's look about the same. How many P220's do you have anyway? I like that the older carbon slide guns are quite a bit lighter than the new SS ones and if they're plated, who cares.

Barth
10-28-2017, 04:18 AM
I think all the nickel 220's look about the same. How many P220's do you have anyway? I like that the older carbon slide guns are quite a bit lighter than the new SS ones and if they're plated, who cares.

NIB 1998 folded steel slide factory nickel plated two tone 45.
Had a professional trigger job and SRT kit installed.
Doesn't have Made in Germany, U.S. or any origin marks on it anywhere?
I'm thinking it may be German parts assembled in the U.S.?

Came across a LNIB 1987 W German all nickel P220 45 at Cabala's I just couldn't pass up.
No box or paperwork, one zipper mag and the night sights were stone cold dead.
Dry fire the W German trigger feels better to me.
I'm leaving this beauty bone stock.
Will shoot it at daybreak :cool:

Update:
Shot a fist sized hole out of the bullseye.
This thing is sweet.
In my hands I actually shoot the W German P220 better than my Dan Wesson V-Bob (and that's just not right LOL :D )

gb6491
10-29-2017, 01:23 PM
Going to try my pictures now... wish me luck:

https://i.imgur.com/7FX1Mseh.jpg

Nice find Slugnutty!
Regards,
Greg

Slugnutty
10-29-2017, 09:52 PM
Thank you sir.
Started to hunt for metal floor plate mags - my buddie bought a P220 that is newer than mine but does believe he has 2 metal plate mags, told me to send pictures of mine and if his match mine, he'll send me his for the cost of me buying him a pair of 8 rounder's as his is an American mag release and can take the 8's where I need the 7's

Fingers crossed.

gb6491
10-30-2017, 06:22 PM
Thank you sir.
Started to hunt for metal floor plate mags - my buddie bought a P220 that is newer than mine but does believe he has 2 metal plate mags, told me to send pictures of mine and if his match mine, he'll send me his for the cost of me buying him a pair of 8 rounder's as his is an American mag release and can take the 8's where I need the 7's

Fingers crossed.
Good fortune to you in regards to that swap:)

I'm not a huge fan of the 220. While they are excellent guns, I don't fit them well (at least the sao version I had). Anyway, that's my excuse for not being up to speed on them. Being ignorant, I'm curious to know if there is any reason 8 round magazines with the metal floor plate wouldn't work in the heel release guns. Anyone know one way or the other?

FWIW, there is a "buy it now" listing for two used 7 round magazines on ebay right now (search "Sig Sauer P220 7 Round 45acp Magazines 2 Total P220-1 Black Made in Italy" ).
There is also an auction for 4 eight round magazines with metal floor plates (search "Sig Sauer P220-1 8 Round 45ACP Magazines Quantity of 4").

Regards,
Greg

mattallamerican
12-25-2017, 04:53 PM
browning tried to market them and didn't do to well great guns

Barth
12-25-2017, 09:51 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ORK5m28.jpg