PDA

View Full Version : Car (No pun intended, of course. :) ) gun recomendation please.

SteveOak
01-04-2018, 09:43 AM
Hello All,

I hope that you are well.

About two years ago I was looking for a 9mm for concealed carry. After much deliberation I decided on a PM9. It turned out to be a great choice. The fit and function are great. The size and weight are excellent for a 9mm. I am very pleased.

Occasionally, my clothing choice would not be optimum for carrying the PM9 so I looked for a pistol that would be smaller and, more importantly, lighter than the PM9. The P380 fills the bill nicely. Smaller, lighter and has the same functionality as the PM9. Similar to years ago when I had a Colt Lightweight Commander and a Colt Mustang Pocketlite.

So now the new scenario. I keep a handgun in the car at all times, regardless of whether or not I am carrying. At present it is a Beretta 92F that I got in trade. I had a 4" S&W 686 that was the car gun and a friend that was dying to have one like it. He convinced me to sell him the 686, my last objection being that I wouldn't have a car gun so he threw in the 92F. There is nothing wrong with the Beretta. It is a perfectly serviceable (Again, no pun intended. It was a service issue gun.) The grip size is fine. It is just different (form, function and appearance) than the P9 and P380 so I am thinking about replacing it with a Kahr.

I am thinking probably a 9mm but I am not completely locked into that. Since it will be in a pouch rather than carried, size and weight are not issues as long as it was not larger or heavier than the 92F.

I went with the higher feature P9 and P380 but for a car gun, I am not sure I need to do that. On the other hand, it might be convenient on occasion for it to be a suitable open carry gun so a T9 might be an option. Which Kahrs should I consider?

JohnR
01-04-2018, 11:36 AM
I'd pick the one you want to have stolen.

Gun thefts out of cars are epidemic these days.

RolandD
01-04-2018, 11:50 AM
I chose the S&W SD9VE for home defense. Same manual of arms, same grip angle, and 16+1. Runs good and low priced.

DJK11
01-04-2018, 12:11 PM
Just like Johnr said, so I leave nothing of any value in my car. If your car gun gets stolen the local police won't be happy with you. If you want a Kahr car gun in 9 mm get a ct9.

SteveOak
01-04-2018, 12:50 PM

It has been awhile since I posted on Kahr Talk but I didn't remember seeing trolling before.

yqtszhj
01-04-2018, 12:54 PM
A kahr CT9 might work. I have one my daughter took away from me to carry herself and it runs flawlessly. Same grip as the pm9.

JohnR
01-04-2018, 01:14 PM
It has been awhile since I posted on Kahr Talk but I didn't remember seeing trolling before.
:001_huh:

Bawanna
01-04-2018, 01:36 PM

I don't see that as trolling at all. It's good common sense. I've longed for a T9 of my own for years, only seen one in my whole life in person.
I for sure wouldn't ever leave it in my car.

For the open carry you mention, heck yeah T9. For a car gun, a kel tec or a Makarov, actually I like Makarov's well enough I probably wouldn't leave that in the car either.

I think the best solution is your carry gun on your belt sitting in your car.

ltxi
01-04-2018, 04:51 PM

We don't have much of a theft problem here. Nevertheless...I fully agree and that's what my Glocks are for. Appliance guns easily replaced if necessary.

ltxi
01-04-2018, 04:53 PM

Methinks you need to get a grip!

340pd
01-07-2018, 09:08 AM
Being semi-retired, my cars are always garaged, and even at my PT job as a RSO/instructor they are behind a secured fence, I bought a couple of LCP's and one of them has an 7 round mag and Viridian green laser that is activated when drawn from a special holster (magnet). So, I attached female velcro to the holster and its male counterpart to the inside door pocket of each car. When I am in either car the gun can be found secured within hands reach at a moments notice. The holsters are designed for pocket carry so if I wish, they will disappear in a pair of jeans or locked in a small lock box under the front seat.
I do concern myself with theft but neither of my cars are seldom out of eyesight and both have very good alarms so any theft fear is weighed against the comfort knowing a spare firearm is available if needed. In fact the "car gun" is what caused my 70 year old wife and single mom daughter to get their carry permits. It keeps them legal if either of them are in the car alone.
BTW, I can't speak highly enough about the LCP as a small carry gun. I have both the LCP and the LCP II and even the original when equipped with a Hogue grip, shooting a nice group at 30' offhand is a piece of cake after a few boxes of practice ammo.

Barth
01-07-2018, 09:17 AM
https://i.imgur.com/HtoJ6p1.jpg

Armybrat
01-07-2018, 09:36 AM
An LCP has been in my carry rotation since 2008. Bought another one (the Gen2, not the Gen II) a year ago because it was so cheap. Still haven't shot that one yet.
Would like to have had one with the stainless slide, but they seem to be scarce.

Slugnutty
01-07-2018, 10:26 AM
Been wanting to try this from Galloway precision They have an easy addition of a J point and a high set of front and rear sights.... looks a little silly - but if it works, is it REALLY silly?

https://gallowayprecision.com/images/slideshow/ruger_lc9s_tier-one-service_galloway-precision-2.jpg

340pd
01-08-2018, 12:13 PM
Been wanting to try this from Galloway precision They have an easy addition of a J point and a high set of front and rear sights.... looks a little silly - but if it works, is it REALLY silly?

https://gallowayprecision.com/images/slideshow/ruger_lc9s_tier-one-service_galloway-precision-2.jpg

In my opinion that is really silly. The purpose of a mouse gun it to remain a mouse gun. One of my LCP's has a Viridian laser and I consider that to also be silly. I keep it on the gun on the chance a bad guy may see a green dot on his/her/alphabet's chest and make the wise decision to cease with the aggressive behavior.

http:// (http://<a href=&quot;https://postimg.org/image/qwzp9uhjn/&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;>https://s5.postimg.org/mnuz7oeaf/LCP_Laser.jpg</a>)https://s5.postimg.org/mnuz7oeaf/LCP_Laser.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/qwzp9uhjn/)

b4uqzme
01-08-2018, 07:21 PM
I still keep a CW45 and spare mags stowed in the Jeep. I’ll risk losing it vs. needing it but not having it. That’s in addition to the gun on my belt.

b4uqzme
01-08-2018, 07:31 PM
I went with the higher feature P9 and P380 but for a car gun, I am not sure I need to do that. On the other hand, it might be convenient on occasion for it to be a suitable open carry gun so a T9 might be an option. Which Kahrs should I consider?

I think I follow you: of the guns you mention, more capacity would be good. And low cost too. You know...since it will live in the car...subject to weather, thievery and what not. I agree with DJK11. How about a CT9 instead of the T9?

O'Dell
01-08-2018, 11:58 PM
I've carried the same car gun for years - a HP 9mm pistol. I paid about $100 new ages ago. It's totally reliable, reasonably accurate, big, heavy, and clunky, and I could not care less if I lost it.

Bawanna
01-09-2018, 08:38 AM
A Browning HP or is there something else called a HP?

Must be, never heard a High Power described as heavy and clunky.

Think about a road trip to Washington, good place to loose High Powers. You have had some serious nice cars though, that's for sure.

CPTKILLER
01-09-2018, 09:27 AM
I picked up a CZ83 for $200. It is a good car gun as a backup.

JohnR
01-09-2018, 10:57 AM
Sounds like he's describing a HiPoint, not a High Power.

Bawanna
01-09-2018, 11:14 AM
Your probably correct, I forgot about those. I think I saw one once, didn't pick it up, thought it was disgusting just looking at it.

yqtszhj
01-09-2018, 11:57 AM
I picked up a CZ83 for $200. It is a good car gun as a backup.

I passed on one of those last year for $225 and regret it.

ltxi
01-09-2018, 05:29 PM
Your probably correct, I forgot about those. I think I saw one once, didn't pick it up, thought it was disgusting just looking at it.

Them's the only folk I know of make a .40 in blowback. :)

O'Dell
01-09-2018, 09:43 PM

That's why it's the perfect car gun. You haven't lost anything if you lose it. Actually, they work quite well - they're just heavy and ugly. I wouldn't trade my HP 45 carbine for a gun costing three time as much. It's totally reliable, accurate out to 80 or 100 yards, and a lot of fun to shoot.

Bawanna
01-09-2018, 10:08 PM
Don't believe I ever seen one of those carbines before. Don't look bad at all and 45 caliber, can't be all bad.

CharlieW
01-10-2018, 08:40 AM
I have one of those High Point carbines in .40. Whenever I take it to the range, I tell my buddies that they can laugh one time, then shoot it -- inevitably, after they shoot it, the laughing stops! It is ugly and clunky, but accurate and fun to shoot. It uses the same magazines as the pistol. It is also reliable --the manual says to clean it after 1500 rounds...

ltxi
01-10-2018, 03:58 PM
The HiPoint carbines are decent appliance guns. Their pistols actually work pretty well from what I understand, but I just can't to my mind qualifiy them as decent arms.

Planedude
01-13-2018, 07:38 AM
I work with an old guy who bought a HiPoint because they are "great guns and they build them in my home town"... (Indiana??). He was genuinely upset when I told him that it was still too ugly and clunky of a gun to own. He brags on its reliability every time we talk about guns. He insists its "pretty" with its two-tone finish and wood grips.

Ummmm... okay...

My next car gun is going to be a RM380. Late this spring/summer we will go on vacation twice. One trip we will fly and my truck will sit in the hot Texas sun for five days, later we will drive six or seven hours to the coast and the car will sit in a huge flat parking lot in the sun for seven days near the cruise ship dock. Not a place for an expensive plastic gun. I know that modern polymers should withstand long heat soaks above 140 degrees, but why chance it? The RM380 is inexpensive, and all metal. I am changing out the guns plastic grips for G10's and the only other plastic part (hammer spring retainer) has been replaced with stainless steel (Galloway). I plan to tuck the little gun into as protected (from the sun) place as exits in the vehicle, but if we end up having to rush in the last moment it could be left parked in the (slightly out of sight) ready-use position. My car gun needs to survive accidental neglect in the really hot sun and that says to me, "all metal".

Nothing could ever make it say "HiPoint".

Barth
01-13-2018, 08:40 AM
Really can't recommend leaving any gun in a car.
Whatever you willing to lose after your car is broken into?

JohnR
01-13-2018, 10:17 AM
That Hipoint with wood grips almost looks like a normal gun. Much nicer than the all black ones.

Ed M
01-13-2018, 10:47 AM
That Hi Point looks vaguely familiar.....

http://www.kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15233&stc=1http://www.kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15234&stc=1

ltxi
01-13-2018, 04:23 PM
That Hipoint with wood grips almost looks like a normal gun. Much nicer than the all black ones.

What I was thinking, also. But still...put lipstick on a pig and you still gots a pot metal pig, ya' know?

Planedude
01-13-2018, 08:45 PM
What I was thinking, also. But still...put lipstick on a pig and you still gots a pot metal pig, ya' know?

Amen brother, Amen.