PDA

View Full Version : Ever Wonder What Would Happen If You Sprayed Brake Cleaner In Your Eyes?

ltxi
06-07-2018, 05:49 PM
Well, here's a first hand report on that.

Was working one of my Ruger S/A revolvers. Needed to clean out a gunked up cylinder stop plunger hole. Brake cleaner through the point application "straw" seemed like a good idea. But...high pressure spray into a small, confined space...immediate full blast blowback directly into my eyes. First thoughts were the obvious. Fortunately, non-chlorinated and there was water source just a few steps away. And then, oddly to my mind, no ill effects.

So, while I don't necessarily recommend this, if you want a mind blowing adventure this one is safer then drugs.

Bawanna
06-07-2018, 06:37 PM
Bet it smarted some though huh?

Glad you don't have to walk around with a white stick.

kwh
06-07-2018, 06:59 PM
The more important questions. Did it clean out the gunk? Did it leave behind a soupy mess that took more time to clean out; or should a Q-tip should have been used first before the cleaner?
I use the same brake cleaner for the striker channel in my Kahrs and have also experienced the facial "blow-back". Fortunately no direct hit to the eyes. No soupy mess to clean up as with using too much solvent.

JohnR
06-07-2018, 07:54 PM
I’m glad I need glasses to see what I’m doing when squirting brake cleaner around.

ltxi
06-07-2018, 08:09 PM
Bet it smarted some though huh?

Glad you don't have to walk around with a white stick.

Also oddly, it didn't really hurt that bad. Just "dull" stinging that went right away when I washed my eyes out.

jeepster09
06-07-2018, 08:38 PM
Hmmm how does it compare to chlorinated? If your bored and looking for a new thrill....JUST KIDDING :boink:

SlowBurn
06-08-2018, 03:47 PM

ltxi
06-08-2018, 04:02 PM
Hmmm how does it compare to chlorinated? If your bored and looking for a new thrill....JUST KIDDING :boink:

Well, degreasing my eyeballs seems to have worked pretty well. I could see really good this morning. I was thinkin' of trying some trich next. Think I still have a bit in an ancient can somewhere.

Second Try
07-05-2018, 08:00 AM
About 30 years ago got an eyeful of methylene chloride. Very painful! Vision was not harmed.

Bobshouse
07-05-2018, 09:50 AM
Brings back to mind the words "Oh say can you see..." Hope your fourth was otherwise great!