PDA

View Full Version : Sweet September Freestyle Thread.

Bawanna
08-30-2010, 10:41 PM
If you got something on your mind and it don't fit no place else, your HOME.

Come on in and we'll talk about it.

mr surveyor
08-30-2010, 11:48 PM
only 9 more days until I fill the West Texas air with No. 7-1/2 lead pellets to do my part for reducing the population of the "bird of peace" (and pretty darned good eatin' birds too)

and, if for some reason one of the guys has to back out that normally goes on the trip this week (opening weeekend), I've got dibs on his spot. My buddy, the "guide" said he may be calling me Wednesday night (to leave at 0530 Thursday) if a slot happens to come open, so I think I'll go ahead and pack for next week, just in case it comes a week early, then when I get back this Sunday night I will already be packed for next Thursday. It's a 350 mile trip - one way - and my buddy does it 6-7 times every season pulling a trailer loaded with gear.

Dang, I love dove season... and would love it twice as much if I could make the trip two weeks in a row:D

anyone else birding?

surv:cool:

jlottmc
08-31-2010, 06:10 AM
I hope I can sneak a few in this year. Just heard on the news that Frisco allows it in the more unincorporated areas. Kinda odd because TX has a state law that bans discharge within city limits. I need to get another hunting license anyway. IF and that is a big IF, I can sneak a little time in that's probably where I'll be. Always did enjoy that. Another big plus, I finally get to use my bird gun for real birds instead of clay if I can go. (Baikal made by big green, single shot breech loader, 24" bbl, no choke, and 3" capable, yes it hurts if you're not careful with it, but handles and carries like a dream.)

TD2K
08-31-2010, 08:07 AM
I have a big "milestone" bday this month. I'm not too excited about it. :(:(:(

joje
08-31-2010, 08:10 AM
surveyor,

is that mourning doves you're hunting? the peta ***** have lobbied to get them classified as song birds up here, so since we cant hunt them they are *everywhere*. but on the other hand they are so small it'd probably take 4 of them to fill you up. @ 20 cents a bang that gets expensive :)

joje
08-31-2010, 08:14 AM
look who walked past one of my stands last morning. his 9 point buddy wasnt too shabby either. this is public land though and unfortunately a bit of poaching going on. hopefully he'll still be around a month from now.

Bawanna
08-31-2010, 09:04 AM
I have a big "milestone" bday this month. I'm not too excited about it. :(:(:(

Oh don't get worked up about it. I was 21 once, well I don't really recall it too clearly but I had to have been right?
Or maybe it's 30?:eek: Might be a tad more scarier. Don't waste it darlin, life comes at it fast and keeps right on going.

mr surveyor
08-31-2010, 09:16 AM
joje

yep, mourning doves, white wings, and a few other variants are in the mix. Not a whole lot of meat, and we only keep the breast (that's about the only harvestable meat), but when stuffed with creme cheese and a jalapeno pepper slice, wrapped in bacon, covered with a good dry rub and finished over a charcoal and mesquite wood fire, it's well worth the effort. Normally when we cook doves, our group of six that dove hunt together will plan other food for the wives (most of them just don't seem to care for "man food") so we will have 2 or 3 grills working. We figure the average guy will eat 8-10 dove breasts in a lengthy sitting so we generally cook at least 60 birds (4freezer bag "daily limits" of 15 birds per bag). As a group, we shot a lot of doves last year, and had a lot of cook-outs:D

and 20 cents apeice?????? Most of the better wing shooters that I know will average no better than 50-60% kill ratio, and the average shooter (where I normally am) will be in the 30-40% range. There are a lot of folks in the 5-10% kill ratio as well (one or two birds per box of shells:eek:). Where we hunt, a 10 mile per hour wind is a still day, and doves are pretty challenging targets on a calm day.... we generally have at least one day with 15-20mph gusts that make the targets move in funny ways. Those are the days that you don't walk far from the truck without at least half a dozen boxes of shells:D

surv

Bawanna
08-31-2010, 09:21 AM
I've never had the pleasure of hunting doves but I've heard they are wicked fast and a real challenge on the best of days.
Like most hunting, the pleasure is just getting out there and doing it. Everything after that is work, right up till the delicacy crosses the lips and hit's the taste buds.

joje
08-31-2010, 09:26 AM
lol thats what i meant, 20 cents per bang and then a couple of bangs per bird. it adds up. i have this $6 golden arrow that has gotten me around 200 pounds of meat by now :)

i'd be the first to go hunting for mourning doves if they'd make it legal though

Bawanna
08-31-2010, 09:31 AM
First thing I thought when I saw the buck from the stand. Bow Hunter! My crowning acheivment was a mountain goat with a bow back in about 80 or so. That was work but what a blast too.
Always wanted a nice sheep to go beside it but I'll have to use a helicopter on that one.

joje
08-31-2010, 10:03 AM
My crowning acheivment was a mountain goat with a bow

lol, i'd love to try any big game but whitetail but by the time i'll beable to afford a mountain goat hunt i'll probably be too old, unless i take that helicopter route :)

Bawanna
08-31-2010, 10:24 AM
The only hard part here is getting drawn for the tag. The mountain is only about an hour away. Had to move in with them, too hard to hike up and down every day. I could see em everyday, trying to get close was the challenge. You'd stalk and get in position and they would be where you started from, back and forth all day long.
Best eating wild game animal I ever ate. I figured it would be tough and taste like boot leather but it was outstanding.
I've been told they are all gone from that area now, not sure why.

TD2K
08-31-2010, 12:17 PM
Oh don't get worked up about it. I was 21 once, well I don't really recall it too clearly but I had to have been right?
Or maybe it's 30?:eek: Might be a tad more scarier. Don't waste it darlin, life comes at it fast and keeps right on going.

21........BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA you're so sweet.

Jeremiah/Az
08-31-2010, 06:09 PM
Last year my girlfriend & I got peppered while dove hunting. We were right beside my big 4 wheel drive white pickup out in the open! No blood, but stung. I had a "serious" talk with his dad. The next weekend the same 15 year old boy shot the manager of our gunclub while dove hunting. That drew a little blood & a severe a$$ chewin'!

rholmes69
08-31-2010, 10:41 PM
Can anyone tell me what in the hell is growing on this deer? We got the pics off of one of our cameras at camp.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/rholmes69/deermass2.jpg

OldLincoln
08-31-2010, 10:53 PM
Looks like one of them durn Arkansas ticks! Got get rm before they fill up or it's right messy.

mr surveyor
09-01-2010, 12:19 AM
looks like she's wearing her heart on her sleeve

ba-da-boom

seriously, that deer needs to be put down

TD2K
09-01-2010, 06:24 AM
it's a toooomah </arnold>

Bawanna
09-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Recon it effects the flavor much?

bps3040
09-01-2010, 10:43 AM
A reminder: Don't forget next Saturday!

WALK NAKED IN AMERICA DAY
Don't forget to mark your calendars.

As you may already know, it is a sin for a Muslim male to see any woman other than his wife naked, and if he does, he must commit suicide. So next Saturday at 10 AM Pacific/1 PM Eastern Time, all American women are asked to walk out of their house completely naked to help weed out any neighborhood terrorists. Circling your block for one hour is recommended for this anti-terrorist effort.

All patriotic men are to position themselves in lawn chairs in front of their houses to demonstrate their support for the women and to prove that they are not Muslim terrorist sympathizers. Since Islam also does not approve of alcohol, a cold 6-pack at your side is further proof of your patriotism.

The American government appreciates your efforts to root out terrorists and applauds your participation in this anti-terrorist activity.

God bless America !

P.S. It is your patriotic duty to inform others. If you don't send this to at least 1 person, you're a terrorist-sympathizing, lily-livered coward and are possibly aiding and abetting terrorists.

Bawanna
09-01-2010, 10:46 AM
I'll be there! Count on me for support.

TD2K
09-01-2010, 10:57 AM
no no no, do it THIS saturday, before Ramadan is over. then it'll be a DOUBLE sin

Bawanna
09-01-2010, 11:03 AM
I never met ramadan but I already don't like him.

jlottmc
09-01-2010, 11:03 AM
I'll be at work with a major power outage, I'm still in. We ought to have that be a weekly thing or at least monthly like the testing of the sirens.

Bawanna
09-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Another example of my mouth outrunning my brain.
I have a great uncle who turned 96 this last weekend. I was at another aunts house with my wife, and a few others. Conversation came up about my great uncle whose wife (my great aunt) passed away about a year ago. I inquired how he was doing in a nursing home. Her reply was that he was pretty good but after relying on my aunt for all those many many years he was kind of lost.
Without a seconds thought or act of self preservation I said yeah I imagine all those many years of nagging day in and day out, he probably doesn't know how to act. At this point the proverbial lead balloon came to mind.
I suspect I'll be black balled from future family gatherings for a spell but to me thats not all bad........

deadhead1971
09-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Welcome September. No change in temp. It's about 98F here in NC.

Dietrich
09-01-2010, 01:43 PM
September. I think I`ll post this on Craigslist: Dear Hurricane Earl,You are not welcome here.Please take a nice cruise into the north central Atlantic.It will help you to relax and unwind much better than a trip to the mainland.Best wishes,Dietrich.

wyntrout
09-03-2010, 09:17 AM
UCLA Study:
A study recently conducted by UCLA's Department of Psychiatry has revealed that the kind of face a woman finds attractive on a man can differ depending on where she is in her menstrual cycle.

For example: if she is ovulating, she is attracted to men with rugged and masculine features.

However, if she is menstruating or menopausal, she tends to be more attracted to a man with duct tape over his mouth and a spear lodged in his chest with a bat up his *$$ while he is on fire.:eek:

wyntrout
09-03-2010, 09:40 AM
I may have posted this once already:

A Homeless Man’s Funeral….

As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper’s cemetery in the Kentucky back country.
As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost and, being a typical man, I didn’t stop for directions. I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch.
I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn’t know what else to do, so I started to play.

The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I played ‘Amazing Grace,’ the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full.
As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, “I never seen nothin’ like that before and I’ve been putting in septic tanks for twenty years.”

Apparently I’m still lost………

wyntrout
09-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Check this song/video out: "Holding a hammer...."

http://bearcreekledger.com/tag/brian-glover/

support: Holding a Hammer (http://www.holdingahammer.com/)

Will November ever get here??

Wynn:D

jlottmc
09-03-2010, 04:29 PM
BUUUURRRRRRPPPP just had to get that out. Pardon me. Oh BTW I despise football and it's players. My disdain increases with the level of the team. I'll finish stirring the pot in a bit.

bps3040
09-09-2010, 08:19 AM
That had to hurt!

How Not To Fire a Watermelon Out of a Huge Slingshot (http://gizmodo.com/5632751/how-not-to-fire-a-watermelon-out-of-a-huge-slingshot)

wyntrout
09-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Ow! Dang! That melon exploded... it really had to hurt. :eek: It's a wonder her face looked okay... nose still there, etc. I'll bet there was bruising, though.
Wynn:)

kramm
09-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Was that a re-load watermelon?:o

Bawanna
09-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Looks to me like a couple of them were carrying reloads. Nice.

Bawanna
09-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Well a sad day for Bawanna. There's a virgin Dan Wesson Cbob on gunbroker unfired since test firing at the factory. Only a few hours to go but the marbles just aren't coming together.
Asking top dollar 1399 but since they are out of production now he'll get it. I sold my body to the university for science, asked for money up front, so now I'm only 1350 short.
Nobody bidding on it so maybe it'll get relisted and I'll have more time. Everytime I think Cbob I think MX5fan, she sure has a beauty.
Oh well todays not my day but maybe tomorrow will be?

wyntrout
09-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Dang! You couldn't find somebody to buy a kidney or something??

Bawanna
09-12-2010, 07:27 PM
I think I messed up. I should have parted it out instead of the whole package for 49 bucks. They acted like I robbed them. Must not have too many good parts.

wyntrout
09-14-2010, 02:58 PM
A paraprosdokian is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part. It is frequently used for humorous or dramatic effect, sometimes producing an anticlimax.

? Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

? Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

? The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

? If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

? We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

? War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

? Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

? Evening news is where they begin with 'Good evening', and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.

? A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

? How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

? Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

? I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted pay checks.

? Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

? I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

? Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.

? You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

? The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

? Hospitality: making your guests feel like they're at home, even if you wish they were.

? I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be devoured by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.

? There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.

? I always take life with a grain of salt, plus a slice of lemon, and a shot of tequila.

? When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

? You're never too old to learn something stupid.

? To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

? If you are supposed to learn from your mistakes, why do some people have more than one child?

Steve-$
09-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Bear in Bar

A bear walks into a bar in Billings, Montana. He bangs on the bar with his paw and demands a beer.

The bartender approaches and says, "We don't serve beer to bears in bars in Billings."

The bear, becoming angry, demands again that he be served a beer.

The bartender tells him again, more forcefully, "We don't serve beer to belligerent bears in bars in Billings."

The bear, very angry now, says, "If you don't serve me a beer, I'm going to eat that lady sitting at the end of the bar."

The bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve beer to belligerent, bully bears in bars in Billings."

The bear goes to the end of the bar and, as promised, eats the woman. He comes back to his seat and again demands a beer.

The bartender states, "Sorry, we don't serve beer to belligerent, bully bears in bars in Billings who are on drugs."

The bear says, "I'm NOT on drugs."

The bartender says, "You are now. That was a barbitchyouate."

Bawanna
09-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Now that's good one right there. Me sides are a bit tender after that one.

jlottmc
09-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Ba dum dum.

wyntrout
09-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Damn! Our rights and incomes are in jeopardy again! Congress is back in session and back to old tricks.
Wynn:mad:

wyntrout
09-17-2010, 07:20 AM
I met a Genie today that would grant me one wish.
"I want to live forever," I said.
"Sorry" said the Genie, "I'm not allowed to grant wishes like that!"
"Fine," I said, "I want to die after the Liberals get their heads out of their asses!"
"You crafty bastard," said the Genie.
:D

Bawanna
09-17-2010, 10:44 AM
OK, has everyone got that ?

If you see Bob, tell him that Bawanna, knows how to spell Dan Wesson.

Or something like that.

I moved this from the hulahoop belt thread so I wouldn't be a high jacker.

I have to admit I had to look up Dan on the spelling, them short words always tripped me up. I knew Wesson real easy, seen it so many times on the Wesson oil bottle. It's one of Dietrichs favorites I understand just prior to being catapulted over the fence.

Dietrich
09-17-2010, 12:29 PM
I hope this one makes it past the censors.
On second thought it probably wouldn`t.
Dang, it`s a great joke too.No profanity but there is a sexual reference.

wyntrout
09-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Tease!

getsome
09-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Here is my offering for the Sept free for all....What is getting to me is all the advertisments on TV for prescription drugs and the names the companies come up for them and I really think I could do a better job of matching the product to the problem....Such as: "Aciphex" which is marketed as a heartburn medication...I think they should change it to "Assefix" and sell it for hemorrhoid relief...See what I'm talking about...Here is another one, "Boniva" which is for osteoporosis...Now Boniva is a great name but it should be sold as a male erectile dysfunction drug....Feel it, feel it...Now for the other problem, side effects....Now take the drug "Alli" which is a diet drug but the side effects include gas, bloating, oily brown discharge, extreme urge to relieve oneself and uncontrolled bowel movements....Holy Crap Batman, you're going to be the life of any party!!! Robin, bring me my brown tights on the double....Sometimes the side effects seem to be the same as the symtoms the drug is trying to treat...Take "Abilifi" said to be an addition to anti depression drugs which aren"t working but look at the side effects...Agitation, Anxiety, Increased Depression, Suicidal Thoughts...:eek:...WTF!!!...Now all side effects to me aren't so bad...With "Viagra" the one side effect that doesn't worry me a bit is the one where if you have an erection lasting more than four hours you should contact your Doctor immediately....I say to HECK with that, I'm getting on a plane to Vegas and put a collar and leash on that bad boy and walk him down the strip!!!...:p...:banplease:...

Bawanna
09-17-2010, 05:07 PM
I've had those same thoughts. Is it really worth getting a chubby when you get diahrea, upset stomach, blindness, mood swings, head aches.
Gotta give George Burns credit when he said sex at 90 was like shooting pool with a rope.

Jeremiah/Az
09-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Don't worry about the 4 hours. It doesn't hurt a thing.

aray
09-18-2010, 03:14 AM
A cop espouses concealed carry:

YouTube - CombatTheTerror's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/CombatTheTerror#p/u/0/J1IKeyTvakA)

Dramatic video. The first and the last minutes are moving.

aray
09-18-2010, 04:02 AM
mmm bacon

aray
09-18-2010, 04:04 AM
Vegan anyone?

aray
09-18-2010, 04:15 AM
You've probably seen this before but it is worth rewatching periodically:

Suzanna Gratia-Hupp: What the Second Amendment is REALLY For (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4069761537893819675#)

That is Suzanna Gratia-Hupp, her parents were murdered in Luby's cafeteria and she was unable to protect them because TX law at the time did not allow her to CCW everywhere.

By the way she has a new book out too. I just picked it up from Amazon but haven't yet had time to read it. Check it out:

Amazon.com: From Luby&#39;s to the Legislature: One Woman&#39;s Fight Against Gun Control (9780965678445): Suzanna Gratia Hupp: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Lubys-Legislature-Womans-Against-Control/dp/096567844X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284804932&sr=8-1)

aray
09-18-2010, 04:34 AM
Let them eat cake. Life is so tough for Michelle:

FOXNews.com - Michelle Obama Denies Telling French First Lady Life Is 'Hell' (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/09/16/life-hell-michelle-obama-reveals-french-lady/)

Ah, the burdens of: living in a mansion; having the best food money can buy at every meal; having your own personal chef; not having to clean up or do the dishes; having a personal staff of 30; having "date nights" a couple of times a month in NYC or other places; having vacations to a 5 star hotels in Spain, the Grand Canyon, Martha's Vineyard, etc. every other month and Camp David for the weekend on the odd months; party night every Wednesday evening at the White House with big-name Hollywood celebrities and singers being flown in at taxpayers' expense to entertain you (or even overseas, ref: Paul McCartney); etc. etc. etc.

And what shall the 10% unemployed and 20% underemployed eat I wonder? And what about the children and the children's children who's money your husband has already spent - what too shall they eat?

Bawanna
09-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Had the local gunshow this weekend and for the first time it was a veritable smorgasbord of Kahrs. Lots of CW40's for some reason on individual tables and one guy had a display case with no less than 8 I believe.
He had a DLC PM9 that nearly followed me home, a T9 that would have made Dietrichs trousers stick out in front and a MK9 that was gorgeous. Had 2 or 3 stainless version P380's. I held one for grins and my boy asked me what the heck I was gonna kill with a 380 so I put it back down.
Ironically I was on a focused mission from above in search of a Cbob and on this same Kahr loaded table semi hidden was a Dan Wesson. Upon closer observation it wasn't the Cbob but the full size Pointman. Very nice also and less deniro than a Cbob by far but not on the mission list. :(
I found one back in Dietrich land that I intend to bid on this evening. Everyone please cross thy fingers both for winning and more importantly surviving the beating my wife will surely apply to me bodily if I do win.
Is this a great life or what?

I did manage to score 200 new 45 Colt cases that are like chicken lips to find lately. The guy thought I was stealing them when I was actually taking them with me down his table a bit to look at primers. He was remorseful when I explained my actions and he realized it was all innocent. He didn't have the primers I wanted so I got a second bag of Colt brass. I luv america.

wyntrout
09-20-2010, 12:40 PM
A cop espouses concealed carry:

YouTube - CombatTheTerror's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/CombatTheTerror#p/u/0/J1IKeyTvakA)

Dramatic video. The first and the last minutes are moving.

Very good clip, Ray. Thanks for posting it. That last 911 call with the couple was really moving... the terror and emotions of the wife choked me up... but all ended well... especially if the perp' was DRT.

I've heard the Luby's story and seen the video many times. That happened just a few months before I moved back to Texas from being stationed in northern Maine... to San Antonio. It was still very much a hot topic. There's no better example for being armed... legal, or otherwise. I'm always mindful of that when we eat out. I try to sit where I can see anything happening. It's better to be safe than sorry., and we're not going to be "sheeple" as that lady and her parents were... along with the rest of the diners that day.

Wynn :D

aray
09-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Funny videos if you haven't seen them before. Who needs a Kahr when you have one of these? The trunk monkey series:

YouTube - Trunk Monkey Compilation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avOiTUcD4Y)

Bawanna
09-21-2010, 10:46 AM
In slightly more than 4 hours I'll know if I'm the happy new owner of my very own Dan Wesson Cbob. I hate the waiting and anticipation.
Hopefully this will assuage my gun thirst for quite awhile. Resorting to selling to get more, a sad deal for sure.
I think I'm a sick gunaholic.

Bawanna
09-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Dan Wesson Classic Commander Bobtail 45 ACP Sts : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=190694696)

It's Christmas in September.:):):):D

Wish MX5Fan and Zena were still around to share my happiness. That gosh darn Dietrich, my britches are sticking out in front.

swampman
09-21-2010, 04:39 PM
congratulations bawwana45cal I am happy for you :)

getsome
09-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Jingle Bob, Jingle Bob Bawanna's got his Bob....Oh what fun it is to shoot that big bad Bob tonight oh yea...Congrats bawanna, Just don't shoot your specker off....:cool:

dusty10
09-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Congrats on a great buy. In today's market that is a good price on that CBOB. I really like mine.

Bawanna
09-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Now the waiting begins. Should be here Friday, can't wait to start bonding with it, wanted one forever it seems.
The next one on the price continuim was like 1400 bucks. The Vbobs which I really don't like as well but still really nice are up there in the 14 15 hundred range too. I think it's gonna be a great gun. The big plus is even though my wife knows I nailed it she hasn't beaten me yet or pushed me off the steps or anything malicious. Maybe I'm gonna be ok on this one????:rolleyes:

dusty10
09-22-2010, 03:45 AM
just remember, you have to sleep sometime.....:rolleyes:

wyntrout
09-22-2010, 04:48 AM
Congratulations! I hope you set aside some money for groceries and gas... and the house payment, etc.:D

I've got Franken-Boomer all lubed up with Tetra lubricants, the new magazines detailed and loaded(all 6 of them!), and am hoping to get to the range tomorrow. I didn't clean the gun, just wiped it down to get the oil off and then lubed it with my Tetra oil and grease. I racked the slide 40-50 times to spread the grease on the rails.

I'm hoping to bond with my "new" PM45, too... renew relations with... whatever.:D

Good luck with your new toy... er, pistol.

Bawanna
09-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Did Kahr replace all 6 of your magazines with new ones? They determined that your gun somehow was making them split in the back, so a gun issue not a poor magazine weld or something related to the mag itself.

The wife and kids are still fed and far as I know she's making the house payment. I'm having to part with a near virgin Colt Match Target AR to get this cbob. I've had it 7 years, hung all kinds of cool stuff on it but only shot it less than 50 rounds or so. I loved it and had to have it (got it after Colt armorer class direct from Colt). But never bonded I guess. Too much plastic, too little bullets, I'll stick with my Garand or my future M14.

Let us know how Franken Boomer runs when you get some trigger time. He's overdue to be reliable and a shooter.

wyntrout
09-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Yes, I got 6 new ones of the same type as I had. Evidently, the pistol kept destroying magazines with different slides, so they got a new frame and fired 70 rounds with success.

You're doing the right thing... selling something you don't use to get something you're lusting after... something new. :D

Yeah, I'm with you on the bigger bullets. I never liked the .22 caliber battle rifles... no penetration. The 30'06 and the .308 have nice penetration... and make bigger holes, yet still satisfying Geneva Convention requirements with ball ammo... something we're not bound with.:D

Boomer at the range:
http://kahrtalk.com/kahr-tech/3452-trigger-pivot-pin-backed-out.html#post35809

OldLincoln
09-24-2010, 05:20 PM
What's that old saying? I got a new PM45 for my wife..... Best trade I ever made!!! Drum roll.....

Bawanna
09-24-2010, 11:22 PM
The CBob has landed and it's a proverbial thing of beauty. I don't have a single bad thing to say about this gun. It was used but there's not a scratch on it. It feels like it was made special for my hand. The trigger is sweet. The fit and quality just leaks out of it all over. Appears to be very well made. Hope it shoots. Range report and pics maybe sunday if the site lets me do anything. Been trying to lay low and not melt down the whole city network. My home system seems to be up and down, probably got some sickness in it too.
Might have to fly Wynn up and build me a new one.

dusty10
09-25-2010, 04:51 AM
Congrats on your new to you CBOB. Mine is the most accurate pistol I own. Sadly, it is too big and heavy for me to CCW on a daily basis given my wardrobe and job requirements. Consequently, it is primarily a range gun now. Anyhow, enjoy your time at the range with your new CBOB. That one is a shooter!

wyntrout
09-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Check this out... I just got an email about this:
Car Impaled By Guardrail--The Result of Driving While Drowsy (NOYES LEGAL NEWS) (http://matthewnoyes.typepad.com/attorney_matthew_noyes_bl/2010/09/car-impaled-by-guardrail-the-result-of-driving-while-drowsy.html)

Lucky people... that they weren't skewered!

Wynn

jlottmc
09-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Hmm, that brings back a memory of the one time I started to drive while almost asleep. I caught myself before I made it into the ditch on the other side of the road, scared the hell out of my though.

Bawanna
09-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Just got back from the range. Christened the Cbob, the Hi Power and shot the PM45 and the Para.
The Cbob is a joy, very accurate. Didn't seem to be totally comfortable with my reloads but a couple other guns didn't like them today either so I may have to adjust the length a bit. I think the Cbob is still tight and probably has a tight chamber as well.
The Hi Power was very accurate but very balky with the factory ball ammo I had. Just a jamomatic. Did ok with Hydra shoks I tried. Have to watch for the hammer bite. If I can sort out the jamming issues it will be a keeper. I'd forgotten what an obnoxious little jab and snap the 9 makes. Sharp, crack.
The PM45 went 3 or 4 mags and then got balky as well. Again I think my reloads are just a tad long. It ended up jammed shut with a live round in the chamber and dead trigger. I brought it home, put a dowel in my vise and jabbed the gun on it while trying to rack the slide and it popped loose. All seems ok so far, trigger is back, slide runs perfectly so I'm chaulking this one up to ammo. Didn't dump any mags, or lock back prematurely so perhaps we're gaining on it. It ran fine with the factory Gold Dots I had in it. Getting critically low on Gold Dots, gotta get some more SOON.
I neglected to bring my camera to have proof of my targets but you'll have to take my word for the good accuracy. The Cbob will remain in bonding for a bit longer till I build a little more trust. I was anxious to start carrying it but we're just not there yet.
I'll post some pictures of it and the others a little later after I get everything cleaned up again.

jlottmc
09-26-2010, 04:53 PM
You may need to throat and polish that chamber on the Hi-Power. Polish the feed ramp a bit and you should be good to go. Treat it like some of the older 1911's and she'll never let you down. Keep her clean and the above should make her a keeper. As for the Cbob, run factory loads through her then tweak the reloads, and you'll have a new wife.

wyntrout
09-26-2010, 05:19 PM
jlottmc: "Hmm, that brings back a memory of the one time I started to drive while almost asleep. I caught myself before I made it into the ditch on the other side of the road, scared the hell out of my though."

I can remember the whiplash-like snapping awake at the wheel when I was in my 20's. It's a wonder I never got further off the road... lucky. I had to stop driving while asleep. I always drifted to the right, though... always been conservative.:D

I can remember rolling the window down and hanging my head out in the breeze and trying to stay awake... very lucky. Nowadays, we stop often... my wife always want to stop and go to the bathroom, but the first thing she does is walk around while smoking a cigarette... no smoking in the car or the house.

That last 120 feet or so must have been terror as that guardrail ripped through the vehicle. I always think of that scene in National Lampoon's Vacation, where the camera pans around the stationwagon, showing each person asleep... until the camera reaches the driver... who is also asleep.

The last pilot I crewed with in the B52 before my retirement, related a similar scene when he was a copilot crewing a BUFF in a three-ship cell on their long flight from Guam to Vietnam on a bombing mission. He suddenly woke up... shook himself and looked around... the pilot was asleep, too.:eek:

wyntrout
09-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Dang, Bawanna", it's a good thing you're testing those guns AND ammo. Pick an FMJ that works and use that OAL... as long as there's no conflict with the slide lock actuator. Get out the DLT, or the real Dremel, and do some polishing, too, as jlottmc suggested, but you knew that, too. I know that you'll get them sorted out and start real bonding.

jlottmc
09-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Ya know this place kinda reminds me of my life, no one listens, and usually I get better than just in the ball park, if not a home run. Then people act surprised when they go back and look and see that I said that on the first page. But enough rant and such. I'll get over it. :001_tt2::2rolleyes:

Bawanna
09-26-2010, 07:49 PM
I think we must be brothers with different mothers. I think it's Rodney Dangerfield syndrome. Nobody listens to me here at home or at work. Once in awhile I get a good solid correct answer and it's like wetting your pants in a dark suit. You get a warm feeling but that's about it.

Just for this instance I'll say I did it cause you told me too but I already polished the feed ramp as you suggested as I was cleaning the Browning. If anyone ask I'll tell em it was your idea and your the smartest man alive, well maybe #2 smartest man alive next to ryoung. I just threw a name out at random, could have been anyone. Could have been RD2k? well guess not she's not a man, maybe I should say smartest human alive? I'm feeling all giggly , must be the gunpowder inhalation. I luv it so.

On another note I noted today that I could not pull the slide back and release it on the Dan Wesson, it just would not go back far enough to release the slide lock. Had to push the slide lock down. Before I shot I did a clean and lube and noticed some one put a shock buff on the recoil rod. After I cleaned I remembered to try and figure out the issue. Long story short I took off the shock buffer and now it works as designed. I've never used shock buffer before but didn't think they would effect a gun like this. I know lots of people use them and surely they must be able to pull and release the slide? Any how for now I'm not running the shock buff and we'll see how she runs next trip.

jlottmc
09-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Good stuff that, never really saw much need for a shock buffer, unless I was planning a steady diet of really hot loads. As for the other, I'm over it, just ranting a little.

OldLincoln
09-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Yup, shoulda asked me so I could tell you a shock buf kills a slingshot. Sigh, nobody cares anyway.... I miss Jocko!

Bawanna
09-27-2010, 12:12 PM
So thats normal? A shock buff kills a slingshot? I did not know that.

I miss Jocko too. Hope he files a progress report frequently. He could use a pencil to hit the keys with his mouth if needed. Probably wouldn't hurt his spellin none. Course I've grown to enjoy the challenge of figuring out the words. Probably why I miss him.

wyntrout
09-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Here's another weird one:

Swanky new Vegas hotel’s ‘death ray’ proves inconvenient for some guests | The Upshot Yahoo! News - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100929/bs_yblog_upshot/swanky-new-vegas-hotels-death-ray-a-mild-inconvenience-for-some-guests)

Don't engineers study physics and have a clue about mirrors and concentrating light??:eek: And then there are the idiots who think this is a good thing to accelerate tanning!! :eek: Solar radiation is bad for your skin... so concentrating it is better??

Sniff... is that bacon cooking... or have you found the sweet spot in the "death ray"?

Wynn:rolleyes:

Bawanna
09-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Porcupine thinks it's a puppy. [VIDEO] (http://www.wimp.com/porcupinepuppy/)

Here I was concerned about a hedgehog. I'm thinking a face shield might be in order here in addition to the welding gloves.

wyntrout
09-29-2010, 02:40 PM
AND... don't let too much salt get on those gloves... from snacks or whatever. Those critters have been known to chew THROUGH CAR TIRES because of the the salt deposits from dogs, etc., relieving themselves! :eek:
What I'm trying to say, is that they can chew through those gloves... of course, that's just a cuddly pet that thinks it's a puppy. Imagine it jumping in bed with you in the middle of the night! :eek:
Just some funny thoughts....

Bawanna
09-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Yeah you wouldn't want to tick it off and in addition to the gloves I think I'd wear a full face shield. Oh and lock the bedroom door for sure.
I think I'll stick with the hedgehog myself.

Bawanna
09-29-2010, 03:19 PM
My wife worked in banks for many years in an earlier life. She was a manager for several years and went thru 3 robberies. Not fun. I was actually minutes away on two of them and got to know the cops pretty good. They were routing for me to be there next time. True story. This incident happened at a neighboring branch of the same bank where she knew everyone.

A robber came in and got his demanded bag of money including the aforementioned dye pack slipped in by one of the tellers. An alarm was tripped and before the guy got out a cop pulled up right to the front doors, violating all protocol, they are suppose to let the robber out so there's no hostage situation. Anyhow, he demand a rear exit door location which the tellers gladly tell him so he can leave. The manager goes to the front door to tell the cop he went out the back, the cops says no worries theres a guy back there. Well he wasn't there. But another employee, who knows why opens and looks out the back door and sees the robber dropped the money bag, so she grabs it and brings it back inside.
The wise branch manager inquires if a dye pack was in the bag. She doesn't want to stain the carpet or make a mess, plus theres tear gas in those things too so she tosses it back out the back door!:eek: So they go talk to the cop and do all the robbery after the fact stuff. She goes to show where she tossed the money back outside and low and behold the robber must have come back and got it. The time limit was met, it crossed the door threshold so the dye pack either didn't go off or was contained since there was no sign of the discharge outside. Bank robber got away and far as I know was never caught on that one. I guess if theres a moral to this one it's dont sweat the carpet?