PDA

View Full Version : PM45 - recoil and ammo

taxifolia
08-31-2010, 10:31 AM
Have 4 KAHRs (3 K9s, 1 MK9) and 5 1911s (3 full size A1s and 2 Kimbers with 3 inch barrel). Recoil of any of them does not bother me. Friend has Beretta 9mms, 1911A1 and has fired my Kimber - he feels same about recoil. He has fired the PM45 and said it has a pretty good kick - he felt it in his wrist after a couple mags.

We are pursuing PM45s - debating break in with 230 gr FMJ and wondering if maybe better to go with 185 gr for break in repetitive shooting. Local gun shop / range told me they do not carry 185 gr because most people have had feeding problems with the shorter 185 bullets in 1911s. Does anyone have advice on ammo for break in ? Anyone had feeding problems with 185 gr FMJ in PM45 ?

Anticipating that we will get PM45s, I sent him Jocko's "proper prep" and Cappy's lube chart.

I have some difficulty racking slides on my K9098s and my MK9, so I put Wolff 18# recoils in 9098s and 18.5# in MK9. Checked out a PM45 at gun shop and learned I have same problem. I use "traditional" racking method - thumb and index finger on slide serrations. Had to use full overhand on PM45. I see that Wolff does not now have recoils for PM45, so if I get a PM45 this old dog will have to learn new tricks.

PS - You can wish me Happy Birthday - 70 on Friday :) or :mad: ??? I'll pick the :) - feel like I'm 40 - told myself then "No big deal, I wonder if I'll say same at 70 ?" I will - No big deal.

taxifolia

Bawanna
08-31-2010, 11:07 AM
I don't have any solid information on the 185 but I will in a couple weeks. I'm getting some 185gr Hornady's mostly cause that was the only option for free in 45 that come with my new press.
Since I've been wanting to try the 185's in my PM45 anyhow I thought it would work out well.
When I did my break in I used 230gr Blaser aluminum case. It worked just fine. Years ago I used alot of 185 in my Officers Model Colt and never had any problems with the gun or loads although I heard of lots of guys that did.
Prior to getting my PM45 I heard the slide was very difficult to rack and it is stiff but not nearly as bad as it was played up to be. I do think they like full power loads. Gold Dots I use for carry work very well.
While the PM45 definitely lets you know when it goes off I dont find it uncomfortable and I do find my self more and more recoil concious especially in carry guns. I have no recoil issues with any of my 45's. I used to enjoy big booms and large caliber guns. Contenders in insane rifle calibers but I find myself not playing with those as much in recent times.
I dont think you will have any trouble with 230 ball ammo for break in myself.
Happy early birthday. Remember your only as old as you act or feel. Yesterday I felt like about 104, today I'm cruising fine at about 68, if I'm lucky tommorrow might be a 45 day???

taxifolia
08-31-2010, 11:59 AM
Thanks Bawanna. In addition to 9 listed semis, I also have the full stainless Judge. I think I'm immune to recoil - feel it of course, but it's like years - no big deal. The one I remember is a slug thru the Judge - that one stands out and I survived. If the PM45 is no worse, would be OK.

tax

Bawanna
08-31-2010, 12:05 PM
The PM45 won't even be on the radar compared to a slug thru the Judge.

One of the fellas here shot a 500 Smith couple weeks ago. He said the primary goal was to hang on and not drop it. Aiming and accuracy were second fiddle. Guess it bucks a bit. I want a 460 Smith some day but there might not be enough days, it's pretty far down on my list. Money and days, why does it always have to be money and days?

kahrseye
08-31-2010, 12:43 PM
I broke in my PM45 with 230gr WWB. Had absolutely no problem with any of it. Gun ate the 230 like it was candy. I would however, suggest that you break in your PM45 in lots of 50. That way you won't suffer fatigue. If you have someone else that you trust to shoot your gun, let them shoot as well. When I broke in my gun I had a friend come with me and we shot all 200 rounds at one range session. Also the slide will certainly loosen up during and after break in, but Bawanna is right...it's not as bad as you've been led to believe.

Bawanna
08-31-2010, 01:08 PM
Good plan on the increments. I put 350 thru first session with me and my son shooting. I would for sure put a innertube or hogue grip on it, the grip is a bit course and will grate your paws like a cheese grater.
We had no issues and had a good time doing it. I even had some wounded fingers on my strong side hand and still managed just fine.

wyntrout
08-31-2010, 01:21 PM
I broke in my PM45 with 230gr WWB. Had absolutely no problem with any of it. Gun ate the 230 like it was candy. I would however, suggest that you break in your PM45 in lots of 50. That way you won't suffer fatigue. If you have someone else that you trust to shoot your gun, let them shoot as well. When I broke in my gun I had a friend come with me and we shot all 200 rounds at one range session. Also the slide will certainly loosen up during and after break in, but Bawanna is right...it's not as bad as you've been led to believe.

Suffer fatigue... after 50 rounds.... Wussie!
:boink:
Wynn:D

Bawanna
08-31-2010, 01:49 PM
Now, now, no name calling. Mall Ninja.

taxifolia
08-31-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks for all replies so far.
kahrseye - picked up on that Steelers thing real fast - you can take the boy out of the Burgh, but you can't take the Steelers out of him. Came to OR in '60 from Pgh - Steelers fan forever - keep my Terrible Towel handy. Will be interesting to see how Dennis Dixon (U of OR) does in Ben's absence - they say he's pretty fragile. On your PM9 - same size as my MK9. If you don't have, you might consider Pearce grip extension for your 6 round mag(s) - gives the pinkie a place to ride plus makes grip length same as PM45 with mag in.
Bawanna - when I held the PM45 at the gun shop, immediately felt the cheese grater on web of hand. Have a Hogue on my MK9 for gripping. Considering that or maybe Agrip for PM45. I think it was maybe you who recommended boiling the Hogue to stretch fit it to PM45.

tax

Bawanna
08-31-2010, 02:16 PM
I think the boiling treatment was an ryoung invention. I held my PM45 so much before I shot it (bonding you know?) that my hand was hamburger. I went with the innertube. Another fella here who I can't recall his handle uses Get a Grip. It's for like tennis racket handles. I plan to try that some day but haven't so far. My original intent was to just remove some of the courseness and not put anything on it but the tube works so nice although it doesn't look cool I just left it.
Some one here also uses the A grip so there's lots of options. I'd for sure put something on though it is rough.

Bawanna
08-31-2010, 02:20 PM
I still got a bad taste in my mouth from the Super Bowl where the Steelers played the Seahawks. Didn't realize the Steelers could bring their own refs. Such a multitude of bad calls in that one game I'm surprised it hasn't got like wrestling on the integrity scale.
We have one devout Steeler fan here who of course said all the calls were good.
I'm not really a football fan myself, I watch it and like it but I don't live and breath it like many. If I want to get hit by a bus, I'll just step in front of a bus.

taxifolia
08-31-2010, 02:36 PM
Bawanna - another thought for the cheese grater - I'm a real fan of silicone rubber - one of the best is Permatex Black. I've thought about thorough clean, mask around eg. backstrap area and fill in the voids with silicone. Not sure if after curing it will perfectly adhere - my hunch is it would. What I would do is put a test spot on a smooth surface and see how well it adheres once cured - easy to learn - does it easily peel off the top of that surface with a finger rub. If not, I doubt if if would peel out of the holes in the grater.

Bawanna
08-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Good thought, I use silicone alot too. I think that's what's holding my F word van together as we speak.
It's sticks to just about anything.
I ground down a bit on my Glock 21 and applied bedliner. It looks like heck but it sure feels good and provides a great grip. She loses any beauty contest but she sure works.
The silicone idea is worthy of some pondering and thought.