PDA

View Full Version : Update on previous "PM45 - recoil and ammo"

taxifolia
09-03-2010, 11:32 PM
This is not specific to PM45 - I anticipate getting one. Some say it has pretty good recoil - one being very experienced shooter with well known laser mfgr - he said it kicks like a mule - like 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 as much as my 3" barrel Kimbers. For that reason I wondered if 185 gr might be better for break in than 230 gr. Two other experienced shooters told me there is an obvious diff in recoil between 185 and 230. Local gun shop does not carry 185 because they said most people have had feeding problems in 1911s.

I decided to do my own test - bought REM UMC 185 gr flat nose and took that plus REM 230 gr FMJ to range yesterday with my 2 '43 Colt 1911A1s (full size) and two Kimber 3" barrel Eclipse Ultras - took 2 of each because experienced shooter said feeding problems may be due to feed ramps needing polished. Another experienced 1911 shooter said feeding problems may be due to Colt GI mags having different lips than newer 1911 mags. I took a GI mag and a mag from my new Springfield 1911A1 plus two Kimber mags - you can see the diff in mag lips between GI mag and the others.

To test recoil diff, I loaded 7 rounds in Springfield and Kimber mags - alternating 185 and 230, 185 on top - 185 first out - hand racked the slides and fired in one Colt and one Kimber - in both cases, no feeding problems and I could not tell a diff in recoil - there has to be a diff, I just did not feel it - I have always believed I am immune to recoil - you feel it, but it is no big deal. I think and hope that will apply when I get my PM45.

To do a more complete test of feeding, I loaded 7 rounds in the Springfield mag and a GI mag with only 185, hand racked and fired thru the two Colts - no feeding problems with either. I then fully loaded two Kimber mags with only 185 - hand racked - first Kimber - no problem. Second Kimber - top round did not chamber - only stripped about 1/8 inch off mag - reloaded same round on top and same thing two more times. Tried 4th time with slide locked back then pulled back and let go to release - same thing. Thinking it might be mag, I loaded same round on top of other full mag, hand racked and it fed correctly 3 times. I reloaded same round again in first mag and it fed correctly two times. I don't know what the initial problem was.

Conclusions - recoil no issue (no felt diff) - feeding overall no problem except erratically in second Kimber for unknown reason. When I get my PM45 I plan to do at least initial break in with 185 gr but will also do 230 gr for comparison. Will be very curious if there are any feeding problems.

One thing I wondered about - might 185 gr flat nose be less accurate / more erratic than 230 gr ? Seemed like maybe I did not do as well with 185 gr - all shooting was offhand at 21 feet.

Any advice / opinions welcome given the above for when I get my PM45.

Thanks, tax

taxifolia
09-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Deleted.

Thanks for replies, tax

Bawanna
09-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Deleted! I haven't even started yet. I'm researching.

Catshooter
09-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Are you sure that the "185 grain flat noses" aren't target rounds? If so, they're about 770 fps, quite slow. Intended for target work.

Cat