PDA

View Full Version : should i pick up this pre-owned PM9 for $525 ?

hedgehog
09-04-2010, 07:27 AM
looking to replace my p380 with the 9mm, anything I should look for while inspecting it ? any serial number prefixes I want to look for / avoid ? seems like a good price. it has standard sights.

kramm
09-04-2010, 07:44 AM
You might want to check out some of the older posts. Jaco or Bawana, one of the two or maybe both had photos of the notch in the inside of the slide. You want it to be there. It allows the guide rod and spring to function properly.

wyntrout
09-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Hedgehog, I don't know if that's a good price, or anything about making sure it's a good gun, short of full disassembly and test firing. Compare that price to a new one at Buds or Gunbroker or other online sources, but the biggy is what's its history and why is it being sold. The owner could be getting rid of a troublesome gun and you would have no warranty, or it might be a fine shooter and the owner just needed the money.

I bought one used Kahr... my PM9 DLC with night sights. I was hoping to just SEE a PM45 to check one out. I didn't see one of those, but I ran across a dealer with the PM9 on consignment for $600 at a gun show. He volunteered that price "out the door" with tax and the $5 instant check call included. I tried to dicker a bit more and he checked with his boss to see what they needed to get to make anything for themselves. I wound up getting it for $550 + tax + the call, or $588 out the door.
In the discussion about the gun, the dealer said the owner was being transferred and he couldn't carry that gun on his new job, so he was selling it before the transfer.
That was word of mouth or anecdotal, and I was feeling like I had found the holy grail, and hardly thinking about warranty... it was so surreal that I was getting this beauty for a seemingly decent price. This was an impulse buy, fueled by the talk here on this forum about this being the most popular Kahr... with everyone having one or wanting one.

I would try to get it a bit cheaper and if it's a local sale, maybe some warranty for enough time to test it, but that's up to you. Sometimes we luck out and get a broken-in shooter, and sometimes, not. Just try for the best deal you can get.

Wynn:)

Here's a raw search for Kahr PM9 prices. Keep in mind shipping and FFL dealer fees, and tax if appropriate. And carefully weigh having a new gun warranty or enough of one to test fire a local purchase, at least.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=BSF&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=kahr+pm9+price&revid=2013698850&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=12528733692910599809&ei=AF2CTL2ZCMT6lwfv2OzyDw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCAQ8wIwAA#

The Budsgun price of $625 includes shipping and no tax, but CC fee applies and, of course, your local FFL dealer to receive it. Shop for that as well, some dealers charge a lot more for receiving and processing a gun. You can check lists of dealers by zipcode at Gunbroker and other places. They will list contact info and fees. My dealer at the range I frequent wanted $50 + $5 IC and tax on all of that for about $60! :eek:
I searched on Gunbroker and found one who charges me $25 total... out the door.

Wynn:)