PDA

View Full Version : PM40--Overall Impressions??

boscobarbell
11-21-2019, 08:59 AM
So the itch to own a PM40 has returned with a vengeance, but I need some personal anecdotes to either convince me or dissuade me once and for all.

My first question is reliability...do owners tend to find these reliable after the prescribed break-in period? Are they ammo picky?

Second, how punishing are these to shoot? I'm not really looking for a range toy, but I would like a pistol that I can take out for the occasional 100-200 round training session (something I really can't do with my .357 Airweight J-frame, as an example).

Any insights would be appreciated!

Bawanna
11-21-2019, 09:27 AM
Bearing in mind that this is just my very own personal opinion I'd pass on the 40. To me its the same reason as your 357 J frame, some brutal muzzle flip. It's tolerable, some even enjoy it, I used to back in the day.
I have a K40, had it magna ported and still too much flip, again I can shoot it without pain, even a lot of rounds but just not fun for me anymore.

The plus side of 40 is everyone seems to be walking away from it so if there's another ammo crunch 40 will probably be available.
I love 40 in a full size gun and I got along fine with it in a Glock 27 but if I was looking for a PM I'd go the 9 and everyone knows I'm not a 9 guy but I seem to gravitating to it more and more, probably from hanging around you guys on this forum.
But I ain't carrying no 380, no way, no how. And nothing in my pocket neither.

Ok see what you done, you pushed my buttons and got me all worked up........................

I'm better now, I'm sure others will be along and dispute what I've just said and that's perfectly ok too.

Be nice to find one you could shoot but that might be a challenge too.

ROB94045
11-21-2019, 10:23 AM
My EDC preference is .40 SW and the PM40 is one of the easiest to conceal and carry because it's small and light. I was initially concerned that the light weight would be a problem when it came to recoil but it turned out not to be an issue for me. That said, the recoil springs are stiff and racking the slide may be an issue for some folks. I would suggest firing one at the range before you buy one. So far as ammo goes, I ran several brands through mine without issue. I'd read that this pistol really needed several hundred rounds through it as a break-in but mine didn't seem to need it. If you do get one, pay attention to the direction of the springs when you disassemble it and get them back in the same direction.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

berettabone
11-21-2019, 11:24 AM
I've really never had an issue shooting .40 cal. in any firearm, especially in an occasional session.:)

boscobarbell
11-21-2019, 12:28 PM
Bearing in mind that this is just my very own personal opinion I'd pass on the 40. To me its the same reason as your 357 J frame, some brutal muzzle flip. It's tolerable, some even enjoy it, I used to back in the day.
I have a K40, had it magna ported and still too much flip, again I can shoot it without pain, even a lot of rounds but just not fun for me anymore.

The plus side of 40 is everyone seems to be walking away from it so if there's another ammo crunch 40 will probably be available.
I love 40 in a full size gun and I got along fine with it in a Glock 27 but if I was looking for a PM I'd go the 9 and everyone knows I'm not a 9 guy but I seem to gravitating to it more and more, probably from hanging around you guys on this forum.
But I ain't carrying no 380, no way, no how. And nothing in my pocket neither.

Ok see what you done, you pushed my buttons and got me all worked up........................

I'm better now, I'm sure others will be along and dispute what I've just said and that's perfectly ok too.

Be nice to find one you could shoot but that might be a challenge too.

Thanks for your response. Not what I wanted to hear about shooting the .40 out of the little Kahr, but that's why I asked.

Regarding the PM9, I probably should have added: I owned a PM9, which I moved on from when I bought a Kimber Solo. When the Solo died, I moved on to a P365. It is, perhaps, the best all-around pistol I own. HOWEVER....

I really hate paying for ammo. Uncle Sam paid me to shoot for over 30 years. And he even insisted that I take home ammo to practice in my own time. So I managed to squirrel away more .40 than I will ever need on this Earth. Which is why I'm looking for a .40 I can both carry comfortably and use for extended range training. I'll continue to carry the P365, too, and shoot it enough to remain proficient, but I'd like to do the majority of my range training using my cache of .40.

boscobarbell
11-21-2019, 12:38 PM
My EDC preference is .40 SW and the PM40 is one of the easiest to conceal and carry because it's small and light. I was initially concerned that the light weight would be a problem when it came to recoil but it turned out not to be an issue for me. So far as ammo goes, I ran several brands through mine without issue. I'd read that this pistol really needed several hundred rounds through it as a break-in but mine didn't seem to need it.

Thanks. That pretty much encapsulates why I'm looking at the Kahr. I owned a Shield in .40 that was really easy to shoot, but it proved to be just big enough to print in some carry conditions, particularly appendix carry with lighter clothing. The Kahr is small enough (pretty much the same size as my P365) that those carry conditions shouldn't be a problem.

I never thought recoil was an issue for me, until I purchased a J-frame .357 and realized a) how difficult it was to keep some pistols on target, and b) how unholy painful it can be to fire hot rounds out of little guns. I don't expect the Kahr to be anywhere need that level of OUCH, but if it's even close it would defeat the purpose of buying a .40 for carry/range use.

gb6491
11-21-2019, 02:14 PM
Not sure how much help it will be, but here's a video of me shooting my CM9 with a PM40 top end installed on it:
Re3HK45iEBk
...and the same CM9 with a 9mm top end:
fHBdi8tzGvg

Both setups were reliable. I seem to remember that the 40 fed a little smoother when manually manipulating the gun.

Regards,
Greg

boscobarbell
11-21-2019, 03:50 PM
Not sure how much help it will be, but here's a video of me shooting my CM9 with a PM40 top end installed on it...

Regards,
Greg

Thanks for that. The 9mm does seem significantly tamer, but the 40 doesn't look horrible.

Bawanna
11-21-2019, 04:05 PM
It's not horrible, I didn't mean to imply that but to me the follow up and staying on target were difficult. It's more flip than recoil.

It could be compounded too shooting it at the indoor range in the little booth, the muzzle blast probably exagerated by the magn porting blast you in the face each shot.

My son, in great shape fresh out of the Marine Corp who I gave it to to have something around didnt care for it, I gave him a 9 instead which he hasn't shot yet but that will tell if there's much difference.

berettabone
11-21-2019, 05:14 PM
I shoot .40 out of my HK P2SK and it seems much tamer than shooting .357 out of my SP101.

boscobarbell
11-21-2019, 05:34 PM
I shoot .40 out of my HK P2SK and it seems much tamer than shooting .357 out of my SP101.

I don't find that hard to believe. My P2000sk is really good at taming the .40...which is why I no longer own a G27, btw.

Armybrat
11-26-2019, 02:22 PM
Just saw the PM40 at Buds Guns online special for $320, free shipping. The P40 (blemished) is $299, free shipping.

I’d say those prices are major league steals.

ROB94045
11-26-2019, 03:47 PM
Just saw the PM40 at Buds Guns online special for $320, free shipping. The P40 (blemished) is $299, free shipping.

I’d say those prices are major league steals.That's the best I've seen. I often shop at Grabagun.com and theirs is $9 more.
https://grabagun.com/kahr-pm40-micro-40sw-3-5rd-poly-msts.html

Armybrat
11-26-2019, 04:28 PM
I have bought several guns from Grabagun, but being in Texas you’ll have to pay sales tax, plus They charge $7.99 shipping. No sales tax or shipping from Buds.

ROB94045
11-26-2019, 04:35 PM
I have bought several guns from Grabagun, but being in Texas you’ll have to pay sales tax, plus They charge $7.99 shipping. No sales tax or shipping from Buds.Being in Texas I do pay sales tax. That's true. But since I drive to their location for pickup, I don't pay shipping or an FFL fee.

Bawanna
11-26-2019, 06:55 PM
Another sucky thing about Washington, we pay tax on everything even shipped from out of state. It's supposed to be on everything but the only thing they can monitor of course is guns, so they have effectively made gun shops tax collectors.

Sort of helps the local shops and the no tax incentive went away but sometimes you can get better deals on line even with the tax and transfer fees.
And of course when the local shops don't bother answering request for prices on order items like say Sig P210 Targets, then one has no choice but to go online and let them get only the transfer fee.

If I had better ears and was 20 years younger I'd open a gun shop and show them how to run one, I truly would.

Armybrat
11-26-2019, 07:54 PM
Being in Texas I do pay sales tax. That's true. But since I drive to their location for pickup, I don't pay shipping or an FFL fee.

I only did that once - drove up to visit relatives in Garland, so the pick up at their store in Carrollton was pretty convenient

ROB94045
11-26-2019, 08:05 PM
I only did that once - drove up to visit relatives in Garland, so the pick up at their store in Carrollton was pretty convenientI live in Garland so the pickup in Coppell isn't too bad.

Armybrat
11-27-2019, 06:05 AM
Yep, that’s the place I meant. Right off Beltline in the back of that commercial park.

ROB94045
11-27-2019, 06:06 AM
Yep, that’s the place I meant. Right off Beltline in the back of that commercial park.That's the place!

sharpetop
11-28-2019, 08:15 PM
I'm 63 years old and showing signs of arthritis/gout in my hands. I recently took my K40 and PM40 to the range and popped of 100rds or so out of each gun. Both are super accurate if you do your part.

Toward the end of the session I was hoping there was no more ammo left! I'm not recoil sensitive by any means as I've shot everything from a Magnum Research BFR in 45-70 govt. to a lowly 22 lr!

The PM40 is a hand spanker so I would keep the range sessions to 100rds. or less and you'll be fine. If you lived nearby I would let you shoot mine.

boscobarbell
11-28-2019, 08:24 PM
Thanks for a good review.

Sounds decent. I can't imagine needing to shoot much more than 100 rounds at a time. At least not with one gun. I get out to the range fairly frequently these days, so those shorter range sessions work just fine for me.