PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the Channel

OldLincoln
09-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Jocko told us to spray out the channel via the hole provided with brake cleaner. Further he said do not lube the channel afterward, but run it dry.
I'm posting a snippet and the link to an article regarding a light primer strike during a gunfight found at The Gun Zone (http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/maintenance.html).

===============
Subsequent investigation by Certified Glock Armorer revealed that the weapon's firing pin channel was fouled with an excessive amount of solvent, lubricant, and dislodged debris. This blockage obstructed the firing pin's movement resulting in a light primer hit. The weapon's slide had been cleaned in a manner that ran contrary to the method suggested by Glock.
================

The article is regarding a Glock but I believe Kahr and other autos would be similarly affected. If I'm wrong please let me know.

wyntrout
09-08-2010, 10:59 PM
I blast that channel out through the bottom hole back from the breech face and then through the striker pin hole as well, while holding the striker as far back as possible, after pushing down on the striker block to release it.
I do think it's a good idea to take the slide apart and see if there IS anything stuck in there from manufacturing. There's an awful lot of tiny brass bits from the cartridges that gets in there and the rest of the action. I guess that stuff could build up, but it's small enough to be blasted out with the brake cleaner through BOTH holes. The straw on the cleaner can just fits in the holes. Wear glasses, though, and remember that liquid's going to come out the back of the striker channel AND whichever hole you're not blocking. That's some nasty stuff, and shouldn't be used indoors or inside of your garage.
I still plan on taking the slide apart once in a while and making sure it's clean. Once you've done it using our instructions and looking at the layout of the parts, it's easy.
I don't plan on taking the frame apart, though.:)
The P380 is a bit different in that the extractor assembly tunnel is open to the striker channel. I take everything out and make sure it's all clean. The only lubricant I put on the striker, is a tiny bit where the striker and spring spacer mate in the front. I do put a tiny bit on the safety block and at the back of the striker spring/guide.
I don't know what Glock says, but it sounds like the person using the gun wasn't taking care of it properly.
I don't think Kahr tells us to do what I/Jocko do, but it seems like a good idea.
Wynn:)

kramm
09-09-2010, 12:03 AM
I tried it and it seems to work good. I had never done it to my g36, but alot of stuff came out of it when I did. I think it's the way to go.:rolleyes:

ripley16
09-09-2010, 05:09 AM
The Glock manual "muzzle down" cleaning method is logical but not practical. It would seem to be prudent to occationally clean the firing pin or striker mechanism of any pistol.

Bawanna
09-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Just like a glock you can hold down the striker drop safety and shake your slide. If all is well that striker should rattle back and forth with ease, I can feel it, people with functioning audio equipment will hear it. If it don't it's time for the brake cleaner or a take down and inspection.
I do it to my guys glocks everytime I pick one up.

jocko
09-09-2010, 10:36 AM
glocks have the same clean out hole for their striker channel also. Once a person takes the slide all apart when buying it new and cleans it right, he should not have to take it down much after that, IF he will just spray clean that striker channel every time he cleans the gun. Might take 5 seconds to do it with the clean out hole. Pulling back on the striker opens up that area by the inside of the breech face where possable some sh-t might accumulate and spray cleaning will blow it out the breech face hole and if you also then put the spray nozzle directly on the face of the breech face hole and hold the striker back it will blow any and all crap out the little clean out hole... In as much as the kahr striker is stainless and the glock striker rides on a polymer sleeve, no lube is required. Keep it dry for more reasons that gumming the channel. Any lube will run out the hole of the breech face and what is sitting directly in front of that breech hole? THE PRIMER area..

another good reason to periodically empty your carry magazine of its defense rounds into a paper target and start ANEW. Always error on the side of caution...

wyntrout
09-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Another good check when cleaning the slide, is to push down the striker block and push the striker forward and see if you still have the pin-part, or that it extends without hindrance. This would be especially nice to know if you're using it for CCW or a BUG.
Wynn:D

jocko
09-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Another good check when cleaning the slide, is to push down the striker block and push the striker forward and see if you still have the pin-part, or that it extends without hindrance. This would be especially nice to know if you're using it for CCW or a BUG.
Wynn:D

Point, game, set MATCH::third:

cptdean
09-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Any lube will run out the hole of the breech face and what is sitting directly in front of that breech hole? THE PRIMER area..

another good reason to periodically empty your carry magazine of its defense rounds into a paper target and start ANEW. Always error on the side of caution...

Yep, I try to keep my penetrating lube as far away from primers as possible. And that's good advice on using fresh rounds every so often.

ripley16
09-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Not a great idea to have gobs of oil around primers, but almost all modern quality ammo has sealed primers.

jocko
09-09-2010, 03:49 PM
sealed primers but some of these lubes can go places no man has ever been. I just error on the side of caution in that breech area.

sealed in what way, is there a coating over the outside of the primer area. I am asking because I didn't know that, not trying to be a smart ass..

Bawanna
09-09-2010, 04:22 PM
There is a coating applied on all modern good ammunition. But in my opinion your both correct. They are sealed and more impervious than many would think but a good penetrating oil (kroil comes to mind) might just walk right thru it too.
I don't loose sleep over it but tend to error to the side of caution and replace at least the top round frequently for this as well as the post that Old Lincoln just brought up. Rechambering the same round if not checked often can lead to bad things.