PDA

View Full Version : PM45 / P45 Opinions

dao
08-31-2020, 04:01 PM
I'm becoming curious about the PM45 and P45. I am not very sensitive to recoil but I can't say I've ever shot a 230gr bullet out of a pocket pistol, or the next thing to it as in a P-series gun. I have owned a PM40 in the past and found that to be as snappy as anything I've ever shot and even moreso than my Commander 1911s.

So, if anyone has experience with either or both, and can provide comparison between it and other guns, some of which I hopefully have had or still do, I'd appreciate it.

Also, as an aside I still do have my MK40 and one could reasonable say that it would do as good and possibly better than a PM45 or P45 in a self-defense situation. But you guys know how it is, when we start dreaming about a potential new gun for the safe it's hard to shake it.

wyntrout
08-31-2020, 04:42 PM
I had a PM45 and now have a P45. They both are mild compared to your PM40. The 230-grain is all I shoot... FMJ and defense.The .45 is usually described as more of a push than the sharp kick of .40 S&W, but the +P and SOME defensive loads are closer to +P in kick and more unpleasant than the full 180-grain loads in the P40. I usually carry my P40 because it gives me one more round and is a tiny bit flatter than the P45 and I do have the 4" ported barrel on my P9 and P40, and if Kahr made a ported barrel for the P45, I would buy one for it, too.
The "P" size is perfect for my hands, so I sold my other Kahrs except for the P389, which is my covert carry gun for minimum size and pocket carry in doctors' offices. I carry +P Underwood 90-grain Gold Dots in it and they do kick... more than my P40, for sure!

Barth
08-31-2020, 05:07 PM
I get the always looking for something better thingy.
It's the journey, not the destination, that is so much fun :D
Still, your all steel MK40 is close to as good as it gets :cool:
https://i.imgur.com/iZx6iRy.jpg?1

dao
08-31-2020, 05:21 PM
That P380 to P40 comparison I can appreciate. I've had three P380s and still have one. I don't know if I'll ever let that one go because as I've said it's my no excuses gun. There is practically no reason to go out unarmed so long as I have it. Unless swimming, which I no longer do I don't wear any clothes in which it could not be very well concealed.
My MK40 is a very nice shooter, but it is on the heavy side for pocket carry. I've done it but I have other small guns that carry easier. It would probably serve me as well as I could ask in a bad situation, but as I intimated sometimes when I get the idea for a new gun in my mind logic and reasoning take a vacation.
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Oh, I'd settle for a plain jane K45. Still can't understand why it's never been done by Kahr.

O'Dell
09-02-2020, 03:22 PM
I get the always looking for something better thingy.
It's the journey, not the destination, that is so much fun :D
Still, your all steel MK40 is close to as good as it gets :cool:
https://i.imgur.com/iZx6iRy.jpg?1

Amen, Barth, but even better in my opinion would be a MK45. I would love to have a companion for my MK40N.