PDA

View Full Version : Reloaders?

Ralph III
09-21-2020, 09:36 PM
Hello Everyone!

How many of you folks reload and can a big savings be expected by reloading 9mm and .380acp rounds? Also, do you have much trouble getting all of the supplies for it or are they readily available even during these ammo shortages?

Thanks,
Ralph

Bawanna
09-21-2020, 11:26 PM
I would say it would take a long time to recoup the cost of a reloading setup loading 9mm. I have no use for 380 but it's generally more expensive in these parts.

I've not recently shopped for components but I suspect just like ammo, people are stocking up.

Reloading is or can be an enjoyable pastime regardless of the savings though, kind of a way to play with gun stuff without leaving the house. Also never bad as a back up plan in case ammo becomes totally unavailable.

Probably didn't help much huh?

CharlieW
09-22-2020, 09:18 AM
Primers seem to be in very short supply right now

mr surveyor
09-22-2020, 09:44 AM
although I don't shoot my 9mm Kahr often, I do still reload for it. Considering the cost (pre-political crap era) of primers, bullets and powder (very abundant free pick-up brass), the reloads may have been a buck or two cheaper than factory target ammunition. No where near being able to justify purchasing even the most basic of reloading tools, and/or the time involved in hand loading 9 mm.

I do load for and shoot a lot of 30-30 win, mostly cast boolits, and really don't save a tremendous amount of money if I were buying the least expensive commercial offerings. Reloading does let me shoot the cast boolits I want, and tailor the loads to my preferences. I can cut the monetary cost down on the higher velocity jacketed rounds (by reloading) to the tune of about 30% (or much more due to current circumstances).

My biggest savings, which I understood in 2011 when jumping into the "roll your own" crowd, is in loading .357 mag, .44 mag and to some extent .45 auto. The magnum rounds can be loaded, to your own preferences (what your gun likes) for as much as 50% savings, if not more.

Unfortunately, when commercial ammunition supplies are really stressed/depleted, reloading components become as scarce as Fairy Dust and Unicorn Turds. So, regardless of whether you reload or not, you still have to stock up before the crunch hits.

Yeah, you can convince yourself that you've become independent by loading your own, and saved an enormous amount of money ..... but ......

just my rookie experience talking

jd

Bawanna
09-22-2020, 10:12 AM
I agree completely with Mr. Surveyor. I haven't had to load for a few years as I had access to dept ammo, but of course that's no longer the case.
I primarily loaded 45, in years past I loaded 30-30, 44 and 357/38 quite a bit.
The key take from his post is you need to get geared up when things are normal (if we ever see that again). Now isn't an ideal time.

Getting the press and equipment now is I suspect ok, I don't think they are gouging too bad but I'm not certain of that.

For many years I loaded on a single stage (one at a time) RCBS Rock Chucker. Does a fine job, indestructible and a great way to learn. I still would use it for all rifle cartridges and probably 44 mag as you can individually walk each load through.

A progressive (I got a Hornady) a few years ago is like getting an AR after shooting only a single shot all your life. Once you get it set up and running correctly you'll load in an hour what took days on the single stage.

Again it's an enjoyable hobby or if things continue to circle the drain a necessity.

Bawanna
09-22-2020, 10:14 AM
Unicorn Turds, I'm saving that reference for future use. Kind of rolls off the tongue.......

340pd
09-22-2020, 11:29 AM
If you didn’t learn from the riots in the late 1960's, AWB in the 1990's, shortages right after 911, Obama in 2008, Obama 2012, and a guaranteed Clinton win in 2016, the Chinese virus, riots, and are still short today, that is on you.
Me? I will let you guess.

In the likely event you missed a few of the above, understand it will happen again.

If you reload,
1. Have 5x as many primers as you think you will ever need. They are the first to disappear.
2. Have a variety of common powders that will allow you to load a number of different calibers. Most powders are usually available even during shortages.
2. Have a couple years supply of bullets as they are pretty much always to be found somewhere.

If you do not reload,
1. If ammo is available but pricey, shoot one buy two.
2. If ammo is available and cheap, shoot one buy three.

If you shoot 22 rimfire, having a five digit supply is not out of line. Having a six digit supply might be bordering on the need for counseling.

DJK11
09-24-2020, 06:10 AM
At current component prices for 45acp and reusing brass, my cost is ~= $165/ 1k. Last I checked that is considerably less than imported ammo. It’s an enjoyable hobby to feed the shooting addiction. I press a better, cleaner burning and more accurate round and did I say less expensive.

RELOAD 2020!!!

Ralph III
09-30-2020, 07:18 PM
If you didn’t learn from the riots in the late 1960's, AWB in the 1990's, shortages right after 911, Obama in 2008, Obama 2012, and a guaranteed Clinton win in 2016, the Chinese virus, riots, and are still short today, that is on you......

Well, I've been shooting for nearly 50 years but I never had concern about being able to get ammo, until recently. Even with the past events you noted there was always a sense it would pass and the market would return to normal. Now, with all of the truly radical and anti-constitutional politicians there is real concern. I can only hope they confirm Mrs. Amy Barrett to the Supreme Court ASAP because that could prove vital.

I think I will hold off on getting a re-loader for now.

God Bless,
Ralph

JohnR
10-01-2020, 06:35 AM
I think I will hold off on getting a re-loader for now.
You can buy the equipment and choose to use it later. For the price of one mid- to high-end firearm you'd be ready if the need arises.

Bawanna
10-01-2020, 10:05 AM
The best way to get into this reloading thing is to find somebody who reloads that you trust and watch or help reload a few. This helps you decide if you want a single stage or progressive press and gives you a solid idea of the equipment that is a must have or the equipment that is nice and you can get later.

Just like most everything else there are tons of options out there and unlike most other things most of the options are very good.

340pd
10-01-2020, 10:11 AM
Start simple. I shoot thousands of rounds per year and because I am mostly retired, running a 50 year old single stage press while listening to Limbaugh in the background is a total joy.
I sold a progressive press because it was too efficient.

Bawanna
10-01-2020, 02:19 PM
There is definitely a satisfaction in taking each round through the process. Kind of custom tailoring one round at a time. I like to clean primer pockets, debur the case mouth which usually doesn't take much. I like being able to look at a tray of 50 with powder charged and check each one to make sure none are empty. That happened though, missed one whole row of 5. Couldn't believe I was so negligent, but stuff happens. Nobody died and no guns were damaged so kind of like a little white lie and momma says a little white lie never hurt nobody.

I'll keep my Lock N Load Hornady. I haven't had to reload for several years but soon it will be time to knock the dust off and get back at it. Time is more on my side these days.

guido4198
10-02-2020, 03:33 AM
The best way to get into this reloading thing is to find somebody who reloads that you trust and watch or help reload a few. This helps you decide if you want a single stage or progressive press and gives you a solid idea of the equipment that is a must have or the equipment that is nice and you can get later.

Just like most everything else there are tons of options out there and unlike most other things most of the options are very good. (emphasis mine)

This is worth repeating, with emphasis. I know there's a lot of instructional videos available out there on the 'net. Unfortunately...some of them are worth about what you paid for them...or WORSE...downright dangerous and a beginner probably won't know the difference.
For myself...my Father started me out when I was about 8 yrs old, helping him cast bullets and load 38 wadcutter rounds. Eisenhower was President and life was good. I've continued casting and loading ever since. I've always considered it to be part of the enjoyment I derive from the shooting sports, not "extra work" like some folks do.

mr surveyor
10-02-2020, 08:12 AM
........... I've always considered it to be part of the enjoyment I derive from the shooting sports, not "extra work" like some folks do.

words to live by :)

jd

dao
10-02-2020, 08:31 AM
(emphasis mine)

This is worth repeating, with emphasis. I know there's a lot of instructional videos available out there on the 'net. Unfortunately...some of them are worth about what you paid for them...or WORSE...downright dangerous and a beginner probably won't know the difference.
For myself...my Father started me out when I was about 8 yrs old, helping him cast bullets and load 38 wadcutter rounds. Eisenhower was President and life was good. I've continued casting and loading ever since. I've always considered it to be part of the enjoyment I derive from the shooting sports, not "extra work" like some folks do.

After a lifetime of doing this I'd wager you've saved a boatload of money in the process.
Thanks for the good advice about trusting your safety to free instruction on something that can go badly very quickly. I like youtube and use it a lot for instructional videos, but when working with something that is inherently dangerous it's better to learn from someone who is there to point out your mistakes as you learn.

CharlieW
10-02-2020, 09:31 AM
Regarding training -- What got me started in reloading was taking a NRA Reloading class that was taught by a friend at the friendly LGS. Very good curriculum and instruction, emphasizing safety throughout the process. I would highly recommend finding and taking one of the NRA classes.

Bawanna
10-02-2020, 10:39 AM
I got my start visiting a Department store, Payless I think it was. They had a Factory Rep from RCBS there to show their products. It wasn't really a formal class, just chat at the counter but the guy was good.
Expecting a bunch of people to show up and possibly run out of products, I went the night before and bought all the stuff I thought I'd need.
Got a Single Stage Rock Chucker (which now lives with Old Lincoln) after I was left a second one from a deceased friend. They had a starter kit with the scales, and measures, all the little stuff.
Then I went and chatted with the guy from RCBS. He confirmed form me that I got all the good stuff and suggested a few not required but nice things to get when I could, some not even his brand. He helped immensely with my concerns, a couple other guys were trying to feed me info and his words of wisdom were carefully dissect information and make sure it was safe.

getsome
10-02-2020, 06:58 PM
Much good advice here.....I was lucky in that an old timer salesman at a LGS was very helpful when I decided to try my hand at reloading, he highly recommended a basic single stage press to start with so for about 3 hundred bucks or so I bought a Redding press kit which came with a powder measure and balance beam scales and I still use the same equipment to this day....I also bought a simple digital scale which I highly recommend...I load for .38/.357 .44 and .45acp so I decided to stick with one powder that would work with all so I went with Universal Clays and it works fine, measures well and is easy to work with without having multiple powders which I might mess up with, I was just getting started so I went with the KISS keep it simple stupid method and it worked out fine and I found out that reloading was almost as much fun as shooting......Unless you shoot lots of ammo you probably won't save a ton of money reloading but it is a nice way to spend an evening making a few rounds....

I recommend that you buy a single stage press of any brand as they are all well made and will last a life time and spend the extra money to get Carbide Dies which are well worth it and are so much easier to work with...Buy at least 2 reloading manuals from different manufacturers and ALWAYS follow the powder weight in the book for whatever load you are working with, start at the minimum powder throw and not the maximum, you can always work up a little at a time to get what suits you but NEVER over load what's in the book....Bad JuJu happens when you do....

I would start out loading 50 rounds at a time and do each step for all 50 one step at a time... Deprime 50 cases, Size 50, Bell 50 case mouths then Prime 50 ( Buy an inexpensive Lee hand repriming tool so you can feel the primer going in ) well worth the money! and wear latex gloves when touching primers....Charge 50 with powder after weighing at least 10 sample charges on both manual beam and digital scales to be triple sure you have the correct powder weight then put them in a case holder and take a very close look at the powder level under a good light just to be sure you didn't double change a case then press in bullets and roll crimp revolver cartridges and neck crimp semi auto....One last inexpensive tool you will need is a bullet puller which looks like a plastic hammer used to remove seated bullets and a tool you will need because you will mess up a few at first but everybody does....

Sounds like a lot to know and intimidating but after a short learning curve you will wonder why this stuff seemed so hard to understand at first and you will begin to enjoy a new and fun hobby, save lots of money? Probably not but once you get started you will be hooked....Good luck and if you have questions, well you know where to come for help.....

Bawanna
10-02-2020, 07:22 PM
The Lee Hand Primer tool was one thing the RCBS guy recommended and it's the best thing since donut holes.

lockhart
10-05-2020, 06:48 PM
I bought my Smith & Wesson .500 magnum in 2005. I bought a box of Corbon 440 grain ammo, the 1650 fps loads. A box of TWELVE rounds cost me $36.00! Thats THREE DOLLARS per round! I sent off for a bullet mold from RCBS that cast a 400 grain bullet from wheelweights. Once you have the brass, the cost of reloading that .500 Smith is around .85 cents per round, with my casting my own bullets. Now, you tell ME if reloading is saving me money. I've been shooting IHMSA silhouette for 40 years, and I would have had to quit shooting it 39 years ago if I had to shoot factory rounds.

dustnchips
10-06-2020, 06:35 AM
Low production rounds are very expensive, but with common high production rounds the gap between roll your own and store bought gets very narrow. I only reload a bit now, but common rounds can not be reloaded for 30% of production ammo. 357 Max is an expensive round with a high ratio while 38 special is low. I only reload the Max. Depends on what you shoot and how you want to spend your time. I prefer reloading for rifles to tune the load to the gun. Lots of minor adjustments and lots of testing rounds.

340pd
10-06-2020, 08:21 AM
My rough reload costs based on pricing bought before the Chinese virus hit our sport.

These are approximate but pretty darn close. The 380's are low because I got a closeout deal on a couple thousand.

All FMJ's, Primers @.03¢ ea. Powders at $22/lb.
.380 - $4.00/box
38/.357 - $7.00/box
9mm - $7.00/box
45acp - $8.00/box

Using lead bullets, which is something I really avoid, my prices would be lowered dramatically.

Post Chinese virus/riots the prices would rise by about 20% but due to me having lived through five or six other "shortages" I will likely not live long enough to pay those inflated prices.

That said in 2015 I built a "black rifle" and not loading .223/5.56 I bought a fair amount of ammo at the crazy high price of 40¢/round. Only to see it fall to half that price a couple years later. Reflecting back, that 40¢/rd. looks like a bargain by today's craziness.

scattershot
10-06-2020, 08:56 AM
As a general rule, it doesn’t pay to reload something like 9mm. With the current craziness, though, all bets are off. At current prices, I figure it costs $23.00 or so per hundred rounds of .45 ACP. I recently saw 100 rounds of range ammo in that caliber for $75.00, plus shipping. I’ve been reloading for almost 50 years, so my equipment has more than paid for itself. I guess the bottom line is, during the shortages that crop up with increasing frequency, I can still shoot, when a lot of other folks can’t.

If you do start reloading, my advice is to stock up on primers, more than you think you need. That’s the only thing you can’t substitute or make yourself. Good luck!

340pd
10-07-2020, 07:44 AM
scattershot is correct. If you are young or shoot a lot, buy five times as many primers as you ever think you will need. They will always have value and are the only component that will stop your ability to load something.

With so many manufacturers going to SPP for 45acp, your shelf SKU's are reduced.

My LPP are cost averaged at less than $25/m. Powder is still currently less than 2¢/rd.
Last night I ordered from Precision Bullets, 1000 230 gr. coated lead bullets for $105 delivered which included my "first time buyer discount". This is my first deviation from FMJ's or plated bullets which have increased dramatically and are still in short supply.

Stuff is out there and paying for a single stage press and a set of dies can pay for themselves in a short time.

I was at my local gun club yesterday and they were selling 9/mm for $28/bx and one of the managers told me they were not making a lot of money at that price but did not want to increase it for fear of riling customers who will still buy and shoot a box at that price.
I am very happy that the range where I work does not sell any ammo.