PDA

View Full Version : Boring range day

DJK11
10-27-2020, 06:11 AM
Last couple of years I have been on the all steel pistol addiction. So the last range trip with the CZ P01, CZ97, DE1911 and JRC 45 were a complete boring experience. First 9mm doesn’t do much for me. So the 45’s received most of the attention. Most pistol work is within 40’ but a few shots are at 75’ all standing, no rest. I don’t carry a wrist rest when out and about. If I need to engage at distance, I better have a good reason. At short range the three pistols will make a lousy shooter look like a Top Shot contestant. After a couple mags it’s a waste of ammo, hand loaded ammo that is. The JRC 45 is just as accurate at the 150’ mark. From a sandbag the bull is cut from the target. Standing the group is slightly larger. I practice combat shooting not precision, take forever to align the shot, bragging rights at the range type of shooting. And the custom TFX PRO rear sight made for the 97 is dead nuts.

I need to shoot the Kahr pistols more so there is a challenge.
RELOAD 2020

340pd
10-27-2020, 07:41 AM
I agree on the larger calibers. During the March lockdown I did an inventory of reloading supplies and to my surprise I had 9000 large pistol primers. I bought another .45, ordered a few thousand bullets, and plan on a lot of practice with that caliber.
I work at an indoor range with a couple 50yd. lanes. It is fun lobbing slow moving bullets offhand at that distance.

berettabone
10-27-2020, 08:34 AM
I also agree on the larger calibers. I don't bother bulls eye shooting much anymore either. I like shooting some .357 but with the ammo thing, I've been holding off shooting what I have at hand. I'm good with .38 special which is nice to shoot. I spend most of my shooting time with an H&K .40 cal.............. Defensive stuff. Shooters eventually find out that the older you get, the harder it is to see a bulls eye, much less hit one at any longer distance. I like the challenge of defensive shooting while keeping control(or trying) of a larger caliber firearm and being relatively accurate.

DJK11
10-27-2020, 09:19 AM
LARGE calibers rule in my house. Always liked 45 acp that’s the reason for the JRC in 45. Why would I want a PCC in 9mm? Didn’t cross my mind. Been giving serious consideration to a 458 SOCOM carbine. I’m a high volume shooter and the food for the SOCOM is expensive.

Anyway I do resemble the older shooter, hard to see and hit at longer distance. Bullseye shooting ended after shoulder surgery. Cross eye dominate and bum shoulder, at times I shoot better one handed in a dueling stance.

I love my Kahr pistols and consider them the perfect single stack, plastic, striker fired, compact, USA made, Trump approved carry pistol.

I consider Kahrs the perfect RULE OF 3 pistols.
3 yards
3 shots
3 seconds

DJK11
10-27-2020, 09:39 AM
Part of what I find interesting about 45acp, is the wide range of loads available for that big fat bullet. Light, heavy, slow, fast. Funny tho is that big ol’hole upon exit is impressive.

O'Dell
10-27-2020, 10:53 AM
I have 14 pistols, 1 9mm, 2 40 cal. and 11 45's. The 9mm is a Kahr PM9 and the 40's are an HK USP 40 and a Kahr MK40N.