PDA

View Full Version : Finished The 1911

BirdsThaWord
06-28-2021, 02:44 PM
I posted up some progress pics a few months back, and have just now finished it. The wife being gone on vacation without me has had me putting my idle hands to work. A few minor things will change in the future (polish msh pin, sear/disco pin and the recoil plug, repaint inside of rear sight), but for the most part it’s done. I’m happy with the results. I can’t quite get it’s reflection/shinyness on camera, other than that 1st pic where you can see me holding my phone to take that pic.

Bawanna
06-28-2021, 03:55 PM
Excellent Sunday go to meeting / BBQ gun. Those grips make my britches stick out in front. Well done.

JohnR
06-28-2021, 04:03 PM
Very sexy!

King Rat
06-28-2021, 04:06 PM
I posted up some progress pics a few months back, and have just now finished it. The wife being gone on vacation without me has had me putting my idle hands to work. A few minor things will change in the future (polish msh pin, sear/disco pin and the recoil plug, repaint inside of rear sight), but for the most part it’s done. I’m happy with the results. I can’t quite get it’s reflection/shinyness on camera, other than that 1st pic where you can see me holding my phone to take that pic.

Super nice. Man that looks like it was a lot of work.What did you use?

BirdsThaWord
06-28-2021, 04:07 PM
Thanks fellas! Colonal, you always have a way with words!:cool:

BirdsThaWord
06-28-2021, 04:08 PM
Super nice. Man that looks like it was a lot of work.What did you use? Thank you! I first used stones, files and sandpaper. 100 grit to 1500 grit. Then on to the buffing wheel and dremel, with first black rouge, then green.

Bawanna
06-28-2021, 04:30 PM
What's the combo for the rouge colors. I have some white, and some darker, black and green. The white is a huge stick, the others are those little containers that come with dremel stuff. I just don't know what's what.

BirdsThaWord
06-28-2021, 04:48 PM
What's the combo for the rouge colors. I have some white, and some darker, black and green. The white is a huge stick, the others are those little containers that come with dremel stuff. I just don't know what's what.
I’ve only ever used the black and the green. Only because my buddies dad, who was a hot rodder and liked to polish his trim peices, etc, showed me what to use years ago. I’m sure the pro’s use some of the other colors too. The black is more corse, and the green less so. I think your white is even finer than the green. Been a bit since I looked at that stuff as I bought 2 sticks of each (black/green) last time.

getsome
06-28-2021, 06:17 PM
Holy smokes Bird, that is just stunning, way cool and very beautiful!!!……I smell BBQ…..:cool:

BirdsThaWord
06-29-2021, 06:11 AM
Holy smokes Bird, that is just stunning, way cool and very beautiful!!!……I smell BBQ…..:cool:
Thank you! :cool:

maxwell
12-29-2021, 03:27 PM
Very Very Nice

BirdsThaWord
12-29-2021, 05:08 PM
Thanks maxwell! I haven’t pulled it out in a while, so thanks for reminding me. Maybe with cooler weather coming I can get out into the shop and truly finish it. Cheers!

berettabone
12-30-2021, 06:14 AM
Looks nice.......................I had some grips like that on a Beretta. That shine comes in handy if you want an a hole to see his reflection right before you shoot. :cool:

BirdsThaWord
12-30-2021, 12:29 PM
I wouldn’t ever carry something like it, but catch your drift. Kinda hard to miss seeing it in the sunlight. If I ever do sniper work, it would not be my go to, for a few reasons ;)

Bawanna
12-30-2021, 12:43 PM
Not even to a BBQ? I'd carry it with pride every day. People get way too worked up about shiny stuff reflecting. Most times folks will only see it for a second or two before the big flash.
Had officers insist on blued magazines, they wore and looked like heck in no time. Probably a bit more appropriate for officers but never bothered me in the least.

BirdsThaWord
12-30-2021, 01:11 PM
Not even to a BBQ? I'd carry it with pride every day. People get way too worked up about shiny stuff reflecting. Most times folks will only see it for a second or two before the big flash.
Had officers insist on blued magazines, they wore and looked like heck in no time. Probably a bit more appropriate for officers but never bothered me in the least.
I’m hoping that one day Floriduh will have open carry. If so, I’d buy a nice leather holster and wear it for sure. I have to iwb anything for now and would not want to sweat up all my hard work. Also, I would have to train a bit to get used to thumbing off the safety as I’ve always carried guns that either have no safety, or the safety off, which I wouldn’t do with a 1911. Supposedly, Desantis and crew are going to push for open carry and constitutional carry next year. We shall see. Keeping my fingers crossed. I have a STI (5”) that I’d love to open carry too. If that day comes, it may be my final polishing project as it is stainless & alloy, which begs for a polishing! Cheers!

Bawanna
12-30-2021, 01:51 PM
Get a Garrett IWB holster, I don't think sweat would be a problem. The solution for the safety is to just send it to me. For your safety of course.
I offer this as a public service don't cha know.

berettabone
12-30-2021, 01:59 PM
I wouldn’t ever carry something like it, but catch your drift. Kinda hard to miss seeing it in the sunlight. If I ever do sniper work, it would not be my go to, for a few reasons ;) I only mentioned the reflection in a good way. :)

BirdsThaWord
12-30-2021, 04:51 PM
Get a Garrett IWB holster, I don't think sweat would be a problem. The solution for the safety is to just send it to me. For your safety of course.
I offer this as a public service don't cha know. I have heard good things about those Garrett holsters. Might just get one should Desantis pull it off. I greatly appreciate your looking out for my safety that way. Yer always such a kind hearted fella! ;)

BirdsThaWord
12-30-2021, 04:54 PM
I only mentioned the reflection in a good way. :) 10-4 brother! I didn’t take it wrong. But I could always angle it so the sun hits ‘em right in the eyes! :cool: