PDA

View Full Version : slide hard to rack

roffle waffle
09-17-2010, 08:59 PM
I bought a used mk9, polished steel. When I insert a loaded magazine, the slide is very difficult to rack, especially if my hands are a little sweaty. I understand that these are "tight" pistols, but I think its something that would prevent me from pulling the slide all the way back in an emergency situation reliably.

Any solution to this?

Bawanna
09-17-2010, 10:32 PM
I generally put my hand over the slide with my thumb on the left rear serrations and my fingers on the right and grip the top of the slide and push it back rather than pull from the rear like a sling shot. To me anyhow I seem to get a little bit better leverage and grip this way.
Have to apply a little due care and caution and keep your hand back away from the muzzle but it works for me.

wyntrout
09-22-2010, 05:08 AM
I do the same as Bawanna' and I bring the gun up parallel to my chest... closer seems to give me more power to rack the slide.
Wynn

Bawanna
09-22-2010, 09:29 AM
I usually rack and lock the slide back prior to loading a magazine also. That might reduce the effort you need a little to rack also. I do this when I release with the slide lock lever as Kahr recommends or if I sling shot. I seldom load a magazine on a closed slide on any of my autos.

jocko
09-22-2010, 11:42 AM
I generally put my hand over the slide with my thumb on the left rear serrations and my fingers on the right and grip the top of the slide and push it back rather than pull from the rear like a sling shot. To me anyhow I seem to get a little bit better leverage and grip this way.
Have to apply a little due care and caution and keep your hand back away from the muzzle but it works for me.

really the proper way to rack a slide bawanna. good tip.

OldLincoln
09-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawanna45cal http://kahrtalk.com/images/tigra/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://kahrtalk.com/3421-slide-hard-rack.html#post35401)

Jocko: really the proper way to rack a slide bawanna. good tip.Do you mean the forearm of the racking hand? You should maintain a firm shooting grip with your strong hand pointing toward the target and push as you described with your weak hand. Your weak elbow can get near the muzzle if you don't thrust the gun forward with the strong hand ripping it out of the weak slide grip when the slide hits the stop.

Do it this way and nothing but the bad guy (or target) is at risk.

roffle waffle
09-26-2010, 03:55 PM
I added strips of skateboard grip tape into the grooves of the back of the slide, and its much much easier to grab with slippery hands now. Took it to the range, slingshotted it for all 150 rounds I shot, zero issues with grip or feeding. Just had to get used to it

OldLincoln
09-27-2010, 11:58 AM
That's a new one to me. My slide serrations are so sharp I look for blood after a slingshot. I have the black slide or I would tone then down a touch but not enough to need tape. I'm glad you found an answer that works.

jlottmc
09-28-2010, 11:25 AM
I added strips of skateboard grip tape into the grooves of the back of the slide, and its much much easier to grab with slippery hands now. Took it to the range, slingshotted it for all 150 rounds I shot, zero issues with grip or feeding. Just had to get used to it

That's an old smitty's trick. I did something like that on a 380 my wife had, except I used auto trim tape and emory cloth to add some thickness. She had a time trying to rack that little slide, until I did that. Hadn't seen anyone else do that in some time.

wyntrout
09-29-2010, 08:31 AM
If you hold the slide as Bawanna' suggested, and grip the gun with your strong hand and hold the EMPTY gun close to your chest and around your man-breasts, you can use your shoulders, simultaneously pushing the slide back with the left or weak hand and pushing with the right or strong hand, locking the slide back with your strong thumb when the slide is far enough to the rear. Then you can load your magazine and release the slide to chamber a round, AS KAHR RECOMMENDS!!
When your arms are away from your body, you're trying to use your forearms too much, and you're at a mechanical disadvantage the further your arms are away from your chest. Maximum power is attained when your arms are parallel to the ground and close to your chest.
If you've ever used one of those exercise spring things to stretch open with both hands, the closer to your chest, the easier it is to pull it apart.
Obviously, this is not a good way to chamber a round by racking a round from an inserted and loaded magazine.:eek:

Okay, I added pictures for you that are visually oriented and for those that have trouble converting abstract words to mental pictures.:)
Wynn:)

Kahr Arms / Q & A (http://www.kahr.com/OR-4.html#q10)

Q. My firearm fails to chamber the first round when I pull back the slide and release it. What is wrong?

A. It is likely you are either failing to pull the slide fully back or you are riding the slide as you release it. We recommend that you lock back the slide, insert the clip, and release the slide with the slide stop. This will require that you carry a load in the chamber for self defense purposes. However, the passive safety system will prevent the pistol from firing unless the trigger is pulled, even if the gun is dropped. If you would prefer not to carry a round in the chamber, you may remove a round from the magazine. This alters the angle of the bullet and will allow it to chamber even if you ride the slide.

Wynn: Hey, it's a magazine, not a clip! :)

This procedure is JUST for locking the slide back, not chambering ammo!!

OldLincoln
09-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Arrgh! Can't look at those pics! Holding the gun that way is asking for injury. I say hold it the right way and work the slide as best he can 100 racks a day until he can safely rack it. Muscle tone and spring break in will occur at the same time and in a couple weeks will be fine.

Here is an instructional video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjLbFOw8sow) by flicksguns on racking and loading. He doesn't mention it (probably does it without thinking), but note his gun is ALWAYS pointed downrange. Also note the proper slingshot process includes pulling the slide back and continuing the motion until your hand has left the slide. I use a combination of pulling the slide back and thrusting the gun into shooting position which rips the slide out of my hand.

I suggest offering this video link to everyone who has a fail to load problem. Their issue may be something else, but they have a reference with which to check themselves.

wyntrout
09-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Injury! I said unloaded... and injure what... man-boobs??
Wynn:D

Bawanna
09-29-2010, 02:47 PM
I do it exactly the way he does in the video except for the first type where he does the bow string slingshot. I may do that too but rarely. I rarely grab the front like he does except to occassionally do a press check. A couple times during the video as he's clearing the chamber you can see that he's pointed the gun right at his stomach, turned the gun too far.
Even at chest height as in Wynn's pictures the barrel is parralel to your forearm and should not strike you if it did go off. I generally don't hold the gun parallel to my body like in the pics but more away. The hand position is exactly what I do though.

OldLincoln
09-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Sorry Wynn I was a bit alarmed and typed quickly. I go back to "you do what you practice". Funny thought though, one of us who are a bit loose in the chest practicing your method sitting down could very well chamber a piece of meat. Bet that would smart. Wonder if the firing pin would help?

wyntrout
09-29-2010, 02:54 PM
I was trying to point out that you have more strength using your shoulders in that position. I don't try to chamber a round by racking the slide, except at the range when I've just cleared a malfunction without removing the magazine, and then the barrel is kept pointed downrange.
Dang! OldLincoln acted like I said I looked down the barrel to see if the gun is loaded!! :rolleyes: Well, at least I didn't post any photos extolling that "procedure"! :D
Wynn:behindsofa:

Bawanna
09-29-2010, 02:56 PM
That would be a gotcha and definitely leave a mark too. A tear comes to my eye just thinking about it.

I had a 45 case hit the hood of my sweatshirt last range session and right down my back. I felt it right away and put the gun on safe and went to ripping to get it out. She was plenty hot. A fella several slots down saw it happen and ran down to help. I couldn't get to it. I didnt cry or anything but it was a major discomfort for just a bit.

wyntrout
09-29-2010, 03:14 PM
When I finally got to shoot my long-lost PM45 the other day for the first time... on the very first shot... the ejected case came STRAIGHT back almost skimming the barrel! That shocked me... more than a welcome home kiss! After that I was really watching for anymore like that, but the rest weren't that threatening!
Maybe Franken-Boomer was just showing a little irritation with having been away so long.
I just ordered some stuff from Midway to make a peace offering for him...
ItemID Qty Price Description
-------- ---- ------- -----------------------------------
818121 1 $23.99 Colt Magazine 1911 Officer 45 ACP SS six-round

171154 1 $7.99 Wilson Combat Magazine Follower & spring kit, 8-round(?)

435620 1 $4.99 Pachmayr Contoured Magazine Follower (very minimal stainless steel)

I'm going to try to make a 6-round magazine for CCW. Those parts and what I have already ought to give me something to play with for a while. I couldn't find any metal floor plates there... in stock. They had lots of S&W bases listed, but 60 days or so to order... plus no pictures of those, but I'll bet some might have worked... with a bit of modification.
Wynn:D

quikduk
10-06-2010, 03:32 PM
I have tried a couple of times to "slingshot" the slide and while it may work and I typically don't have any issues with it (I have "other" issues, just ask my family...:rolleyes: ), I have found that the most consistent and easiest way to chamber a round is to lock the slide back without a mag, insert the mag and then release the slide via the...wait for it...slide release (lock) lever...

All kidding aside, if I try to slingshot, sometimes I get an FTC with an FTE following that first shot. If I do as described above (letting the slide chamber the round from a locked back position), the gun works flawlessly. If I try to "drop the slide" without a mag inserted (empty or full), I have to use the slide lock lever with a rearward pull/push on the slide to release it. This is probably due to the mags having that little "pin" at the top but it is consistent so I go with what works for me.

Besides, my guns are always loaded and except for cleaning or range time, that is how they stay. My operation with either my XD or MK is the same as I have described above.

Bawanna
10-06-2010, 03:50 PM
I do exactly as you describe with all my autos as well. I think the concern here is getting the slide into the locked back position in the first place. Trying to bow string pull it and get the slide lock pushed up can be challenging. Add to that maybe weak hand strength, slippery hands etc and it compounds the challenge even more.
As Wynn also I described I use the hand over the slide method which gives me more leverage and also puts my strong hand thumb in a good position to push the slide lock lever up when the time is right.
I think we're all doing it right, if only we could figure out how to say what we mean sort a.

Tilos
10-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Yet another instructional link for "proper racking":
Cornered Cat - Rack the Slide (http://corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx)

A method I have taught to weak shooters (right handed) is, with a shooting grip, extend your right arm towards the target with the ejector port facing up. (ghetto/rap vid position)
Grab the slide with your left hand, arm extended (overhand grip, thumb on the top, ejector port side).
Now, simply use your shoulders, left shoulder back, right shoulder forward, twisting your upper body, to rack the slide. (and push up the slide stop)
The weakest of the weak can rack any slide this way.

Wyntrout:
I'll have to side with OldLincoln and Bawannacal45 on this one.
Those pictures are scary for me and kind of negates "treat all guns as loaded" and don't point at anything "you wouldn't want to destroy".

At the range I practice doing a right face before doing anything to my gun.
I have had guns pointed at me by people to my right doing what you have pictured...without doing a right face.
I don't really care if someone shoots themselves in the forearm, but hate to see a gun pointed in my direction...ever.

just sayin'
Tilos

roffle waffle
10-06-2010, 10:33 PM
a lot of tips for racking, but not many for racking with wet hands. Skateboard grip tape does work pretty well though