PDA

View Full Version : New P9 - first range trip

kydave19
12-22-2022, 04:23 PM
It goes bang when I want it to. Makes holes in the direction I aim it. Shoots multiple shots on multiple steel plates without a hiccup. Even shoots a few lead reloads during the breakin period (although mostly shooting FMJ for now. What's not to like?

A few more getting used to it range trips and I'll set up an appointment for qualification shooting & adding it to my CCW with it's big brother P45.

Photos to come... one of these days.

kydave19
12-22-2022, 04:30 PM
P.S. Side note - Primary range action today was steel plate practice with my shooting pals using my Glock 19. After a mid session break & shooting the P9 some, then returning to the Glock, I definitely touched off the first round out of the Glock a little quicker than I planned. LOL! Big change up between those Glock & Kahr triggers for sure!

BirdsThaWord
12-22-2022, 10:40 PM
Congrats and glad you had a good time. I have been needing to get to the range and try some new toys, so hearing about your fun time is a motivator!!!

dustnchips
12-23-2022, 07:53 AM
Too cold here to go to the range. No indoor ranges around. Tuesday I leave for Port Charlotte with a bag of guns to use at the indoor range a mile from the house. This winter I will have a P380, PM9, CZ75 SP01 9MM and 22 conversion and my colt Gold Cup in 45.

BirdsThaWord
12-23-2022, 10:41 AM
Too cold here to go to the range. No indoor ranges around. Tuesday I leave for Port Charlotte with a bag of guns to use at the indoor range a mile from the house. This winter I will have a P380, PM9, CZ75 SP01 9MM and 22 conversion and my colt Gold Cup in 45.

Sounds like you're gonna be ready for action and will go through a bit o ammo. Have fun brother!

kydave19
12-23-2022, 04:58 PM
I'm taking 3 handguns which I'm going to add onto my CCW to the range tomorrow. In my CA County you have to list the specific weapons you qualified with on your permit. Since I got my permit, the number allowed changed from 3 to 6. Not wanting to waste the opportunity, I'm going to add the P9, a backup G19, and a 1911 (just because). Those will supplement the P45, G19, and S&W Model 49 currently on the permit. So I'll go out and make sure I'm ready for the add-on qualification, but mainly just to shoot. I think it's going to be raining all next week so I'll miss my Tuesday Steel Plate and Thursday USPSA practices. Nice today & tomorrow, though.

Bawanna
12-23-2022, 05:32 PM
You have to list specific guns on your CPL? And your limited to 6? I strongly consider a change of address myself.
I hated that our officers (when I used to work) had to qualify with any personal guns they carried off duty or back up. Liability stuff I guess.
I had to keep the records for all that and it was sometimes a pain when some officers had 10 or 12 guns on the qual list.

kydave19
12-23-2022, 06:20 PM
Back 30 years ago or so, when I got my first permit in this County, you simply qualified with the largest caliber on your permit. Then you listed the guns you wanted up to 5 or 6 and the Sheriff wrote them in. For instance, qualify with a .45 ACP and the 9mm, .38, .357, .32, .22 etc were a gimmee. The number of guns on your permit is not a matter of California law, but a matter of individual Sheriff's whim. The state law has changed over the years in tightening up what a Sheriff must do (as opposed to can do) in the issuance of permits, but it's still a County to County thing even though the permit is good state wide once you get it.

kydave19
12-27-2022, 06:06 PM
Score! Found a new in box P9 7 round mag in close out at the local Ace Hardware for $11.99. Clerk (who is one of my fellow range masters) says he'll let me know when they close out the 3 or 4 remaining 8 rounders.

dao
12-27-2022, 09:18 PM
Imagine that, Ace Hardware selling guns. Sounds like the 50's, 60's, and 70's when you could walk into a small town hardware store and buy a Daisy Red Ryder, a shotgun, or your choice of .22lr's.

Bawanna
12-27-2022, 09:23 PM
And even in California of all places. I bought most of my original reloading equipment for a PayNPak. My first new gun from Ernst Hardware. Fred Meyers used to carry guns, then quit, started again a few years back but now have quit again.

dao
12-28-2022, 07:53 AM
Exactly Colonel!

kydave19
12-28-2022, 04:41 PM
Not only an Ace Hardware, but an Ace Hardware in California!! (Of course, far Northern CA is nothing like the Bay Area or LA area).

Bawanna
12-28-2022, 06:21 PM
That's no doubt true. I've driven to Reno a few times to visit a friend and we go through the NE corner of CA for a bit. Seems like perfectly normal countryside and real pretty. Course just like here in Washington the rules etc are created in places like the Bay Area or LA or King County.

dao
12-28-2022, 09:00 PM
Yep, in blue states rules made in la la land. And the rest of us have to pay the price.