PDA

View Full Version : Used PM9

Whogun
02-03-2023, 11:03 AM
I have spotted a used PM 9 at my LGS. it’s an older one, S/N VA2***. This is date unknown in the serial number thread but probably a 2003. I don’t know all the changes over the years, but it has the older blocky slide. Are there any other differences I should be aware of in a 2003 pistol?

Also, what parts should I go ahead and replace out of caution if it is to be carried?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

yqtszhj
02-03-2023, 12:17 PM
Those older PM9’s are generally pretty good. My suggestion would be shoot it first then if you like just replace the recoil spring assembly if you have any feeding issues. Can’t remember if the older pm9 had a different recoil spring than the newer ones but someone should chime in shortly.

Bawanna
02-03-2023, 12:19 PM
I'm a firm believer in not fixing what is not broken. I'd inspect it first, good to clean and lube and familiarize yourself with the gun. Then shoot it to see how it does. At best a new recoil spring perhaps.
Shouldn't be much difference in internals that I'm aware of. Not exactly sure what you mean by older blocky slide.

dao
02-03-2023, 12:47 PM
The gun should have the old style dovetails on it. So if you order night sights for it keep that in mind. I agree on your age estimate according the the SN. I have a PM9 that is a few thousand past that and its born on date was 5/2003. You can get the exact date if you call Kahr CS.
As others have suggested, shoot it first and see how it runs. The typical wear parts may have already been replaced.

Whogun
02-03-2023, 01:48 PM
Thanks for your reply. I saw on a Firearm Guy video that the slide was changed by beveling the end, perhaps for easier holstering. Maybe around 2011.

Whogun
02-03-2023, 01:49 PM
Dao, is it hard to find sights for the older ones? I’m thinking about the XS big dot.

dao
02-03-2023, 01:58 PM
The only ones I've seen are from Meprolight. I put a set on my MK9 (ML15109G), a couple/few years back. Kahr switched over to the new dovetail cuts in November of '04. I don't know if that coincided with the switch to the chamfered slides (non-blunt nose), or not. But in the event they did it later you might want to check the underside of your slide and see if it has a dimple machined into it. If not, it has the old style dovetail cut for sure.

Bawanna
02-03-2023, 02:09 PM
Beveling the front statement solved my confusion. You have what we refer to as the Blunt nose. Many folk prefer it over the new tapered version.
The recoil spring is just a tad shorter on the blunt over the tapered model. Everything else is the same.

tokuno
02-03-2023, 02:46 PM
I prefer the blunt nose look, but they were less common and more expensive when I was buying and I consoled myself with a mouthful of sour grapes: "They had a good reason to change it, so it's probably better this way" . . . hard to digest those grapes, though. My PM9 shoots great, but I still find my eyes admiring pics of the blocky older version.

Whogun
02-03-2023, 02:52 PM
Great info, guys. Thank you.

Armybrat
02-03-2023, 07:58 PM
Beveling the front statement solved my confusion. You have what we refer to as the Blunt nose. Many folk prefer it over the new tapered version.
The recoil spring is just a tad shorter on the blunt over the tapered model. Everything else is the same.

Mine was one of the older ones. (Top right)
Son owns it now and hasn’t any complaints about it.

getsome
02-03-2023, 10:45 PM
Welcome Whogun to Kahrtalk, not sure if you picked up the pistol yet but the early blunt nose PM9 pistols are highly desirable and worth looking at…..Like other folks have said, field strip, clean and lube it good and shoot a box or two and see how it does and if it doesn’t have any problems then she’s a keeper……..I would replace the recoil spring assembly and magazine springs so you have a baseline starting point if you intend to CCW the pistol and then go shoot another hundred rounds or so and if no malfunctions then all is good to go and she will serve you well……Good luck and let us know how it goes………

DJK11
02-04-2023, 05:12 AM
I wasn’t aware the older blunt nose were so desirable. Maybe because they are older and different but not better. If you make the purchase, test it out but I would change all the springs. There were three different recoil spring assemblies used. The older RSA are still available, but it’s easy to just swap both springs. Not sure if the magazine catch went from plastic to metal on the PM9. Available sights are limited.
My PM9 is a 2010 from the first run of the longer slides. The three PM model tapered slides are approximately .130 longer than the blunt nose. Just food for thought.

Whogun
02-04-2023, 08:13 AM
I have not bought it yet. Still gathering info, and y’all have been very helpful. I’m on a quest for a great pocket pistol because I don’t wear a cover garment often. I got a used p380 and love it but want to push the envelope. My P365 is too big for the pocket, but I think a PM9 will fill that niche.

this forum is the reason I was comfortable venturing out to the P380. I found all the threads on preparing one and have had no issues with good ammo. Main ammo choice is Lehigh/Underwood extreme defender, and I feel confident with that.

dao
02-04-2023, 08:26 AM
You won't be disappointed in how the PM9 rides in your pocket with a good holster. They are great little guns for sure.

getsome
02-04-2023, 05:08 PM
You won't be disappointed in how the PM9 rides in your pocket with a good holster. They are great little guns for sure.

^^^^^^What he said is correct, I pocket carry a PM9 in a Sticky MD-1 holster everywhere I go and it just looks like a wallet or cell phone and comes out of jeans pocket with ease……..Yes there are other high cap nines out there and I have tried to like them but nothing beats a slim PM9 Kahr for ease of carry and accuracy with that great trigger system they are known for……

Whogun
02-05-2023, 07:01 AM
Dao and get some, that’s what I am going for. There’s not much difference in size from a p365, but a little bit smaller means it works with more pants pockets. Thanks for your input

yqtszhj
02-05-2023, 07:37 AM
Dao and get some, that’s what I am going for. There’s not much difference in size from a p365, but a little bit smaller means it works with more pants pockets. Thanks for your input

Ive found the same as you. The Kahr is a little more squared off than my P365 so for me it is a little easier to carry and pull from the pocket. Both are doable but the Kahr carries slightly easier and it’s a couple of ounces lighter.

dao
02-05-2023, 08:29 AM
^^^Not to mention a nicer trigger :D
That being said, I have a P365 and like it. Just not in my pocket.