PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade P380 sights

medezyner
02-07-2023, 09:33 AM
Time to upgrade my 380 sights so that these tired eyes can actually see them! I reached out to XS but the only one they offer for the 380 is not the model I want and that one they will, or have discontinued it. A little cruise around the web didnt yield too much, so I was thinking...
Has anyone cut their 380 to accept more standard sights? Something like a Novak cut. Is there enough meat to do this?

Bawanna
02-07-2023, 10:17 AM
I've nothing solid to back it up but I'd say yes there should be. Especially if you find a dovetail slightly larger than what's there now. Then they could just modify the cut and your in business.
I think I need to reschedule my Ahlzeimers test, can't remember the name of the place, but they are mentioned here a lot and I've used them. They would be the ones to contact. It'll come to me soon as I post this.

Bawanna
02-07-2023, 10:38 AM
Dawson Precision! Took a bit, even trying to google it but they are good guys and will have solid answers.

medezyner
02-08-2023, 07:53 AM
Thanks Bawanna! I wasn't considering the fiber optics, but after thinking about it the p380 is my summer pocket carry and is more of an "up close and personal" or backup. Made me pause and think about whether trits are really necessary on this pistol; they're not. My primary and bump-in-the-night pistol...definitely. I probably have the "old" dovetail, but I better confirm and check for the dimple.

Whogun
04-25-2023, 10:58 AM
I have an "old style" P380 according to XS Big Dot Sights. They no longer make a sight for it. I checked Dawson Precision, and they do make sights for the old style dovetail cut. Has anyone tried them? They don't have a dot and post, but the fiber optic notch and post in different colors look like a pretty good alternative.

King Rat
04-25-2023, 07:43 PM
I had one on a Beretta Nano. They were Ok, do not take the place of a night sight. I eventually took it off. And it was a ball buster to put on. No where near as described. Personally I would save the money.

https://i.imgur.com/qb4uAQ2.jpg

DJK11
04-26-2023, 05:34 AM
Can someone explain the changes in the mighty P380 sight cuts? The website mentions standard and CA sights. Is there another? My RA has 13 year old OEM Trijicon. Still glowing, but the pistol is a belly gun. Not a 40 yard precision bullseye pistol. I don’t use the sights, point-n-press is all that’s needed.

Whogun
04-26-2023, 05:57 AM
Thank you for the reply Kingrat. Good to know.

DJK11
04-26-2023, 08:41 AM
Since I didn’t receive an instant response, I phoned Kahr CS. Was told there is and was only ONE style of sight cut for the P380. Just as I thought, but ………

My RA …. is sans a dimple so I needed clarification. The California sight is taller to clear the LCI.

So there is no old and new cut for the P380. Just the regular cut.

Whogun
04-26-2023, 08:52 AM
DJK11, I'm scratching my head over this. XSSights told me there were two different cuts on the P380, and they have pictures of the dimple on their website that indicates a newer model. If what Kahr told you is true, then I should be able to buy the currently manufactured big dot for my older P380. That's what I want. Am I understanding you correctly? I don't have the CA model with taller sights

DJK11
04-26-2023, 09:21 AM
Whogun it’s best if you phoned Kahr CS. Get it straight from them. My P380 and PM9 front cuts mic the same. The shoe of the 380 sight sits proud of the slide. So who knows?????

DJK11
04-26-2023, 09:28 AM
That picture on the XS site is from Kahrs site. Is that slide a P380? No it’s not. Also they reference the rear sight.

Whogun
04-26-2023, 10:41 AM
Great info. Thank you. I will call Kahr