PDA

View Full Version : May is here with Cinco de Mayo on the way

Barth
05-04-2023, 04:47 PM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/vSG7wQ7sAuQ6I/giphy.gif

Armybrat
05-04-2023, 05:08 PM
Fake holiday drummed up by the beer import companies.
When I lived in Mexico 60+ years ago, nobody down there celebrated it.
They just noted that it was recognizing the time when the despised French occupiers were defeated at the Battle of Puebla.

The holiday that is celebrated in Mexico as their Independence Day is September 16, when the county broke from Spain in 1810.

AJBert
05-04-2023, 05:31 PM
Fake holiday drummed up by the beer import companies.
When I lived in Mexico 60+ years ago, nobody down there celebrated it.
They just noted that it was recognizing the time when the despised French occupiers were defeated at the Battle of Puebla.

The holiday that is celebrated in Mexico as their Independence Day is September 16, when the county broke from Spain in 1810.

Agree! I read somewhere that at some time many years ago that it was a few miners out in CA that first decided it was a good idea to drink a lot of beer on May 5th. It has now been an excuse to drink beer every year on that date in the US for some reason. Me? I don't need some made up holiday to drink beer. I just drink it whenever I feel like it.

Although, I have to admit the GIF of the 3 Amigos is great!

Armybrat
05-04-2023, 07:56 PM
Here here….

getsome
05-04-2023, 08:59 PM
Not too many years ago there was a large shopping center in NE Atlanta called the Buford Claremont Mall but since the 2000’s or so has now been renamed the Plaza Fiesta because of the massive invasion of illegal aliens that have come here and have pretty much taken over the area…….It’s so bad that the Police close off the roads around the area for the weekend of Cinco de Mayo to be absolutely sure it is safe for our new citizens and tax payers to party…..….Yeah Joe the border is secure and that’s no joke………

dao
05-04-2023, 09:11 PM
Firing order of a small block Chevy

yqtszhj
05-04-2023, 09:20 PM
… the Battle of Puebla.

I thought that was the battle we fought as teens males when we asked a girl on a date and tried to make it around all the bases. Sometimes we had beer too but it didn’t have to be May 5. :rolleyes:

getsome
05-05-2023, 05:08 PM
Firing order of a small block Chevy

Bingo! I memorized this when I was 16 and decided my car needed those yellow high performance spark plug wires to make it cooler and go faster so I snatched um all off and replaced them in no particular order but to me looked right and when I tried to start her up I couldn’t figure out why there was fire coming out of everywhere but where it should be coming from……..Thankfully my friends dad knew a thing or two about cars and after I explained to him what I did, knew right away what the problem was and showed me how to fix my mess and guess what, it started right up and ran again………Life lesson learned, numbers do matter!

dao
05-05-2023, 09:25 PM
Yep that'll do it. And so will dropping the distributor down a tooth off from being where it should be. Not that degree perhaps but certainly enough to cause it to spit flame out the carb. These days I can't lean over an engine bay for more than a few minutes without back pain. And head pain from scratching my head trying to understand what my eyes aren't seeing.

getsome
05-05-2023, 09:48 PM
Yes sir, I hear ya……
I now have multiple pairs of drug store reading glasses in every room in the house so I can somewhat function…….Getting old sucks……

King Rat
05-06-2023, 07:12 AM
Cinco de Mayo, St. Patricks Day. God I love marketing.

How about a National Drunk Day? We have National day for Martin Luther King, but we need another worthless Holiday. Drunk Day makes more sense.

jeepster09
05-06-2023, 08:25 AM
I think GEORGE FLOYD day is going to be the next holiday ....
The statue has been made.

wyntrout
05-06-2023, 10:17 AM
June, my birth month, is LGBTQ+ Pride month. I don't know who decided that. :(

My Samsung phone's calendar says that, Google-based, I'm sure.

BirdsThaWord
05-06-2023, 12:48 PM
Yep that'll do it. And so will dropping the distributor down a tooth off from being where it should be. Not that degree perhaps but certainly enough to cause it to spit flame out the carb. These days I can't lean over an engine bay for more than a few minutes without back pain. And head pain from scratching my head trying to understand what my eyes aren't seeing.
Same reason why I don’t hot rod/drag race anymore :mad:
Oh, and old underhood insulation can be very flammable in the case of a carb spittin fire. Ask me how I know! ;)

dao
05-06-2023, 02:58 PM
Though....I once made a statement that a 4-banger would never beat a motor that I had built, which was just a simple 290ci plant for my '69 Javelin. Even cammed with a Holley on it I doubt that it put out 225hp and truthfully would barely reach 200hp at the wheels. Fast forward to now with the baseline 4 cylinder Mustang at 315hp... Technology can be good. Very good.

IDisposable
05-07-2023, 01:34 PM
Yes sir, I hear ya……
I now have multiple pairs of drug store reading glasses in every room in the house so I can somewhat function…….Getting old sucks……Tell me about it, got a cataract removed from my left eye, three days later, the retina decided to go walkies...now I'm sentenced to 10 days face down with a Mike Tyson level shiner...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230507/af897dc3bd94305a2c2c7cf32473d55e.jpg

Bawanna
05-07-2023, 01:52 PM
Never heard of such a thing. This has to top the list of things that suck! Probably need 10 days with a chiropractor to fix your neck next. Fingers crossed you get through this and get all more better.

Armybrat
05-07-2023, 06:45 PM
That happened to my nephew’s wife. It indeed sucks.
But ya gotta do what the doc says.

My retina surgery was easier than yours - the doc just removed some tissue that was starting to cover the surface of mine.
Kinda bloody though.

JohnR
05-07-2023, 06:54 PM
Ouch