PDA

View Full Version : having issues with my cm9

guwad
08-02-2023, 07:58 PM
just got a cm9, first handgun i have owned.(ignore my lack of knowledge of gun terms)so earlier today i went to shoot the gun, i pull the slide back, shoot it and it fires one round, then when i pull the trigger again it won't shoot any more until i pull the slide again. the slide itself closes as normal when it does this, and it chambers a round as well- but the trigger has no resistance and isn't doing anything. i will also add that i changed the guide rod to stainless steeli will also throw this in here too, the springs on this gun are SO heavy, like to the point i think it can't be right. i see videos of people effortlessly racking the slide but for me it's very hard. same with the slide release, i can't push it basically at all unless i use something to push it with. i'm not a small guy either. maybe i got a bad gun?

zamboni
08-03-2023, 08:22 PM
Since you are brand new to guns, it is hard to say if this is a gun issue or user error. If I were you I would go back to the range and ask a range officer or other shooter to shoot it and see how it performs.

kenemoore
08-04-2023, 05:54 AM
Have you tried re-installing the original guide rod?

dustnchips
08-04-2023, 07:18 AM
Kahr's have stiff springs because they are small and light.

yqtszhj
08-04-2023, 08:00 AM
Welcome to the forum. As kenemore said you might want to reinstall the original guide rod just to see if it makes a difference. Clean it up good and give it one more try. If it does the same thing on every round fired it may be a trigger reset problem, which is not common but happens sometimes. Since this is your first handgun, and not knowing if you like to take things apart to try and fix them, you could then just call Kahr and tell them your pistol has a trigger reset issue and they will most likely send you a return label and will fix it right up for you.

let us know how it goes or if you have any other questions.

King Rat
08-04-2023, 08:48 AM
Welcome to the forum. As kenemore said you might want to reinstall the original guide rod just to see if it makes a difference. Clean it up good and give it one more try. If it does the same thing on every round fired it may be a trigger reset problem, which is not common but happens sometimes. Since this is your first handgun, and not knowing if you like to take things apart to try and fix them, you could then just call Kahr and tell them your pistol has a trigger reset issue and they will most likely send you a return label and will fix it right up for you.

let us know how it goes or if you have any other questions.

I would spend a little time understanding the dynamics of this gun before sending it in. All of this is just a simple break in. It is my strongest opinion that the recoil spring which is very strong, go through a break in along with the rest of the moving parts to remove microscopic Burr's. The strong recoil spring needs to take a "SET". This means means pulling the receiver back and let it sit for at least 48 hrs. Then take a wooden dowel and excercise the spring by moving up and down. Then follow the procedures on the sticky for breaking. I am a firm believer in recoil springs and magazine springs taking a "SET". I learned this from being a devoted Spring Air rifle enthusiast and listening to the experts that design Custom Springs that go into High End German/English Air Rifles. And IMO is to shoot a higher pressure ammo when breaking in will help.

gb6491
08-04-2023, 10:26 AM
just got a cm9, first handgun i have owned.(ignore my lack of knowledge of gun terms)so earlier today i went to shoot the gun, i pull the slide back, shoot it and it fires one round, then when i pull the trigger again it won't shoot any more until i pull the slide again. the slide itself closes as normal when it does this, and it chambers a round as well- but the trigger has no resistance and isn't doing anything. i will also add that i changed the guide rod to stainless steeli will also throw this in here too, the springs on this gun are SO heavy, like to the point i think it can't be right. i see videos of people effortlessly racking the slide but for me it's very hard. same with the slide release, i can't push it basically at all unless i use something to push it with. i'm not a small guy either. maybe i got a bad gun?
Welcome to the forums!

I suspect there is an issue with your disconnector/trigger bar. You can check a few things, but to adequately troubleshoot this you will need to remove the side plate on the frame (see here: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?33345-Pm9-ftf&p=414874#post414874 )

The first several pages of this thread has some things in it that you can check without removing the side plate: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?33312-Quarantine-Repairs-on-CW9

If you decide to remove the plate, I'd first check to see if the problem persists with the plate off (maybe a binding issue) Then check the condition and position of the the trigger bar spring. Check the condition of the trigger bar especially where it engages the cocking cam. No joy with any of that....I'd suggest going to post #59 on page six (http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?33312-Quarantine-Repairs-on-CW9/page6) of the above thread and reading from there.

As to the slide stop: check the condition of the slide stop spring and verify that the spring leg over the slide stop when installing the stop.
https://i.postimg.cc/NfFBbDt0/spring.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/G29KVJmw/pstop600-copy.jpg
Regards,
Greg

DavidR
08-04-2023, 11:46 AM
There’s great advice here, BUT this is your first gun. Call Kahr.