PDA

View Full Version : Sellier & Bellot

kenemoore
12-21-2023, 08:43 AM
I have recently bought cases of .45ACP and .40S&W, S&B, JHP ammo for the same price as hard ball. I figured (southern term), why not practice with Hollow Points, if the cost is the same. Just wondering how good of a self defense round it may be. Anyone have any thoughts?

Bawanna
12-21-2023, 10:27 AM
Back in the normal days before jacked up prices, I always believed in practice with what one carries. Didn't figure I had to shoot 1000's of rounds in practice. After a 100 rounds or so it's pretty much wasted ammo but even then I still shot more just cause I liked it.

I don't know how good S&B JHP ammo is, never tried the stuff but if it runs well, I imagine it'll pretty much ruin a person's day on the receiving end. People carry 380's, how could you go wrong with a 45.

BirdsThaWord
12-21-2023, 10:40 AM
I'll have to look for some of that. If the same (or close) to hardball, I'd buy it exclusively and practice more. I've had good luck with S&B range grade stuff, so would not doubt enjoy the jhp's. My fave jhp is Liberty Civil Defense, but it's just too expensive to shoot a bunch of it. I always put a box of it through anything before I carry with it, then a mag at each range visit, but would rather run more. Some carry guns did not chamber a 1st round of it well, but would run it fine after that 1st round. Gonna go look for some of that S&B stuff this weekend. Thanks for the tip!

berettabone
12-21-2023, 10:46 AM
I've used the S&B in 9mm and had no issues. It's usually one of the lower priced ammos out there..............

kenemoore
12-23-2023, 09:33 AM
I have shot their practice ammo for years, always one of the cheaper options. I prefer it to Blazer.
But never tried the hollow point stuff. I guess it's gotta be be better than ball for self defense, just not sure how it stacks up against name brand stuff.
I know it is from the Czechoslovakia and those folks have been making guns and ammo forever.