PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for Kahr 9mm pistols

jorville82
09-28-2010, 01:55 PM
I just recently bought my first Kahr (MK9) and it became my favorite before I even had one round through it. What a beautifully built and tight pistol!

Anyway, I've been reloading for some time and I like to use plated bullets for plinking/practice, which I load pretty light so I don't have to worry about any deplating issues due to high velocity. My question stems from the fact that the recoil springs on the Kahr are much heavier than on my P85. Does anyone know what velocity you need with 115 gr and 124 gr 9mm bullets to make the stiff Kahr action cycle? Maybe it's just in my head and it wouldn't be an issue even at velocities lower than you'd ever load a 9mm anyway. I just thought I'd ask before I spend a bunch of time on my single stage LEE loader making ammo I can't use in my MK. Thanks guys!

On a side note. I've been waiting for over a month for my new wood MK9 grips and it's driving me crazy! I'm so impatient when it comes to my toys. I called Kahr and they said that they expected a shipment in from Hogue any day (that was a week ago). That's probably the line they've been giving everyone for the past month though. Erggghhhhhh!

Tilos
09-28-2010, 03:16 PM
jorville82:
Good question.
1st I must say I don't shoot reloads in my Kahr pistols because they advise against it:).

I buy fmj bullets from Precission Delta cheaper than most plated bullets.
For me, the challenge in loading for little guns is getting the point of impact to be at the point of aim, with fixed sights.

Most of my standard "best group" 9mm loads shoot high in little guns.
What I did was use a faster burning powder, within published loading limits, to get point of impact equal to point of aim.

If you are comfortable with reloading I can pm load data that works for me in little guns as I don't want to post load data.
Keep in mind any data I have is for either fmj or hard cast bullets, not for plated.

just sayin'
Tilos

Bawanna
09-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Wouldn't plated bullets perform as well or better than most cast bullets?
I've been using the Rainier plated bullets and I've had no issues at all with them. Most of our ranges no longer allow lead bullets so that is more and more becoming a non issue for me. I used to load alot of cast 45 Colt bullets but now will load jacketed or plated for it as well.

Bawanna
09-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Tilos, I owe you a couple. You'd mentioned Precision Delta before and I looked but didn't look hard enough. I was just there and they have FMJ 230 grain 45 bullets copper, not plated 32 bucks cheaper for 2000 than the 200 gr plated's at Midway. Both offer free shipping.
The bullet I really want weight wise and cheaper to boot. I'm gonna hopefully order some up tonight. 2 bucks a thousand less if I order 6000. Wonder how bad the wife would beat me for that? I'm out of everything.
Again I owe ya.

jorville82
09-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Holy crap batman! Thanks for the reference to Precision Delta, Tilos. No reason to buy plated for $88/1000 when you can get fmj for $70/1000!

All problems solved! Thanks guys!

Tilos
09-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Yes, I need to order some myself and know that the colder it gets, the shorter the backlog/waiting time.
But many shooters get together for massive bulk orders towards spring and the backlog goes back up.

I was close to buying some "black" bullets from Precision Bullet (a different company) but shot a few matches with someone using another brand of "black" bullets that smoked quite a lot.

When shooting lead bullets in a Steel Challenge match, I have to consider wind direction when choosing a target sequence or wait for the smoke to clear to shoot the last target:eek:.
I shot the CW9 at a few matches, but was out gunned and couldn't get them to start a bug class.
Each stage is 5 shots, shot 5 times, and some race guns hold 26 rounds:eek:, so I switched to shooting the block.

Precision Delta is worth the wait and suggest a phone order so you can ask about delivery/shipping time.

My mailman (oops mail-person) doesn't like those 70 pound boxes though, and I feel a big Christmas gift is in order this year.

just sayin'
Tilos

Bawanna
09-28-2010, 05:13 PM
The delivery time is historically slow? Even if they say in stock?

Maybe I'll take heed and have the wife call since I'm audio challenged.

Dietrich
09-28-2010, 07:25 PM
I`ve used Precision Delta for quite a while along with Montana Gold.PD is cheaper than Montana but Montana carries 125 grain .38/.357 bullets that I reload in those calibers and PD doesn`t.Both make a fine product and have great customer service.You would be hard pressed to beat the prices at Precision Delta though.

jfrey
09-28-2010, 07:43 PM
I've used the Berry's plated bullets for quite a while and have been very pleased with the performance. They may be a couple dollars more but they ship in a week and I don't have to wait months for my order to arrive. I shoot them in 9mm and .45 ACP with no problems. I did have to adjust my load slightly in the 9mm to change point of impact to match point of aim. It seems my CW9 does like a slightly hotter load than I started with which was a midrange load using Unique.

Bawanna
09-28-2010, 07:46 PM
So is the general concensus I'll have to wait months to get bullets from Precision Delta? I don't do patience very good. The Rainiers I been running ship real fast also. When da man says be there you be there dig?

Tilos
09-28-2010, 09:42 PM
jfrey:
Same powder(unique) same gun (CW9) and same results.
Even at near max with unique, the point of impact was high at 7-10 yds.
I switched to Bullseye and shot to point of aim with a midrange powder charge.
Do plated bullets smoke more than fmj?

Bawanna45cal:
Order some...worth the wait(if any).
just sayin'
Tilos

Dietrich
09-29-2010, 01:40 AM
So is the general concensus I'll have to wait months to get bullets from Precision Delta? I don't do patience very good. The Rainiers I been running ship real fast also. When da man says be there you be there dig?
Bawanna,I have never had to wait a long time for a shipment from Precision Delta.Usually it arrives within a week or so.Not saying that it hasn`t happened to others but I personally have never had a bad experience with them.

Bawanna
09-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Perfect. I was gonna order up last night but the wife had a killer look about her and I figured one peep about ordering something might have set her off. I hung out with the carpet pad for the evening. I'll try again tonight.

wyntrout
09-29-2010, 09:51 AM
My wife just departed on her last day of shopping... back to work tomorrow afternoon. I told her to take it easy on "OUR money"... I haven't ordered a gun in a few months and I'm thinking about it... early Christmas, maybe... mainly just yanking her chain... <sigh>.
Wynn :D

Bawanna
09-29-2010, 11:38 AM
I don't often yank my wifes chain especially if I'm near a flight of stairs or any sort of drop off. I'm sure the jury would accept her it was an accident story with little difficulty.

jfrey
09-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Tilko, I was shooting about 3" high at 10 yds. Bumped my load .3 gr. with Unique and she came right down to where I wanted it. Still almost a whole grain less than red line. I had some ejection issues with a S&W 952 with the same load. Bump fixed that one too. Different guns will shoot differently with different powders, that's why we roll our own. Glad you found the bullseye.

wyntrout
09-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Sometimes a different weight of bullet will make POI = POA. I don't remember which, but I had a Walther PPK/S and it preferred 90 or 95 grain bullets for on target with the sights. Experimenting or sometimes word-of-mouth experience can get you on target.
I've always chosen adjustable sights in the past, but the Kahrs have been fine with me for the defense-type ranges for which they were designed.
Wynn

jeep45238
09-29-2010, 03:19 PM
I've had great luck with Rianer's in the past. I now cast my own.

cutler
09-30-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm picking up a PM9 next Monday. I've been reloading a 115 grain moly coated Billy Bullet with W231 for 2 Sigs with good luck. I've read about the polygonal barrel and leading. I would only be shooting 50-100 thru it per week and would clean it. Or would it be better to go to Frontier CMJ bullet? I can pick up these bullets at the range where I shoot? Thanks!

Tilos
10-01-2010, 04:02 PM
cutler:
Welcome and know that we are not ignoring your question.
I think it's just that not many members here reload much beyond fmj in big quantities.

I have no experience loading or shooting black bullets out of a kahr, and bought a CW9 in addition to the PM9.
The CW9 gives me trigger time with lead bullets and the savings will pay for the gun in a years time.

I would suggest using the CMJ bullets over the moly coated as the extra cost will be minimal for just 50 to 100 rounds per week.
Your gun and the range will be happier for it.

just sayin'
Tilos

jorville82
10-04-2010, 09:20 AM
UPDATE

Just wanted to update that I had no operating issues with the reloads. I loaded two batches a 124 gr XTP w/ Unique running about 1050 fps and a 115 gr XTP w/ Power Pistol running about 1200 fps. WOW, I'll never use Power Pistol again for short barreled pistols. At a well lit range I was seeing stars! Power Pistol has insanely high muzzle flash! The unique was non existant in comparison.

With that said, what performance powder have you guys had the best luck with, relative to muzzle flash?

Also wanted to comment on the bullet discussion. I'm in the St. Louis area, and at Top Gun in Arnold, they sell Montana Gold bullets for just $6 more per thousand than PD (for 9mm 115 gr CMJ). I went ahead and spent a couple extra bucks ($40/500) to get the 115 gr JHP. They sell them in 500 ct boxes which is nice for me (don't need 2000 at a time) and they're on the shelf, so no backorder or shipping delay.

MW surveyor
10-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Just wanted to chime in here.

Bought the CW 9 as I reload and therfore can afford to shoot a whole lot more than I would if I just bought the ammo. Any way, shot 100 rounds of 125 gr over 4.6 gr of Bullseye on Saturday and the gun ran perfect and no issues with leading. Shot a bit high but I'm also just breaking it in and getting used to the DA.

I'll probably go to a Unique loading next. Using the same 125 gr LRN as before. BTW - I am buying my hard cast bullets at $0.06, so not too bad for having just a bit over $0.10 per round. Not sure if I want to get into casting.

joje
10-28-2010, 01:17 PM
UPDATE
With that said, what performance powder have you guys had the best luck with, relative to muzzle flash?

i use power pistol in all my 9mms. it is flashy indeed but the ballistics are awesome. i'd really like to get my hands on some ramshot shilouette as it supposedly performs similar with virtually no flash.

problem is no-one carries it here in north midwest and im too cheap to pay shipping and hazmat and what not, heck it'd come to $50+ for a single can :mad: