PDA

View Full Version : PM40 Magazines?

garyb
09-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Just ordered my new PM4044N and plan to attempt IDPA with it. I also ordered a crimson. I am a bit confused about the magazines. I understand the 5 round is flush with the bottom of the grip. The 6 round has a pistol grip extension. The 7 round with a grip extension is where I start to become confused. Does anyone know how the grip extension fits to the bottom of the pistol grip on the PM40? I don't think I want any silver magazine showing above the grip extension as this will put the grip extension below the location where the pinky finger of my hand will hold the grip. It seems to me that having a total of 4 extra 6 round mags with grip extensions is the way to go for IDPA but I am looking for any input. It may be that the 7 round mags will work even better and I am simply confused about how the grip extension will fit on this mag. Any input please??? Thanks.

bayoutrigger
09-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Don't waste your money on the seven round. Will not work with more than 6 rounds loaded.

wyntrout
09-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Here are the various .45 magazines in my PM45... should look somewhat similar:

http://kahrtalk.com/pm-series-pistols/1854-magazines-pm45.html#post18872

Wynn

robdnor
10-17-2010, 01:44 AM
so i have had an mk9 for a while and as such have a few extra mags for it laying around, whereas i just purchased a PM40 yesterday,
so i was kinda curious as to wether or not the mags would interchange by chance? i was able to throw 40's into a 9 mag, and vice-a-versa.. and the 9 mags would also properly fit into the 40,(didnt check if the 40's fit into the 9 tho)
i was just wondering, do yall know if these mags can be interchanged?

i appreciate any input

-rob

jocko
10-17-2010, 05:11 AM
MK and PM 40 mags willinterchange. Actually the same magazine.. any 40 cal magazine willfit in your PM40, but some will extend...

robdnor
10-17-2010, 10:56 AM
thank you for the reply Jocko...that is helpful because i may just go ahead and get a k40 mag for backup/range use... i had actually been trying to ask wether the mk9 mags (which i was able to load with 40's and put into my pm40) would possibly work with the pm40... since i wasnt at the range when i checked this
so i guess im asking if kahr mags are interchangable between the 9mm and 40 versions (i know this is a long shot, but i guess i like trying to push my luck)

thank you

-rob

jlottmc
10-17-2010, 11:13 AM
No such luck. 9mm and 40 have different feed lips and such due to the 9mm vs 10mm diameters.

robdnor
10-17-2010, 09:59 PM
alright, well thank you Jlottmc

now another question with PM40 mags, i posted under another subject discussing pm series mags, but thought id ask here too (hope thats not an issue)[so if you see it 2 places thats why]

"i just got a pm40 2 days ago, day 1 it was fine with both the 5 and 6 rnd mags (shooting federal) then today (day 2) the 5 rnd that came with it and a second i purchased worked absolutely fine, while at least twice per mag my 6 rnd caused the slide to lock back while still loaded (shooting american eagle- so pretty much just a cheapo federal)

initially i thought i was riding up on the slide lock, but nope, made sure to be mindful on the next mag, same thing

so i dont know what to think, would it be more likely to be the ammo? or the actual mag? or a combination?

id prefer not having to do any reshaping on my own if possible

oh, other than this happening the gun has been 100% thru break in
so im not worried with the gun per-se but more am i worried about the magazine/ and or if the extended mags cause more issues
1 less rnd isnt the end of the world when you got 5+1 and another 5 mag, its pretty much like a snubby with a quicker reload is how i see it IMPO, but id still prefer to have the option of larger mags in case of SHTF

i guess i could always go buy another extended mag and find out but id prefer not to if the extenders seem to be more problematic in general, that same money could get me another 5 rnd im less likely to question, but i just wanted to see if anyone could enlighten me as to wether they have had better experiences with the flush fits than the extenders as well, or if its just my one mag

thanks
-rob

Bawanna
10-17-2010, 10:23 PM
The slide locking back with ammo left is probably not mag related. That would be the slide lock lever spring. You were right to check your thumb as it's very common for people to hit it without knowing it.
You can take the slide off and insert a magazine and see if the bullet tips are touching the spring at all. Often times grinding just a tiny bit off the end of the spring will cure it. Occasionally the spring is bent and needs straightening or replacement.
There's a thread around here about installing that slide stop pin at like 5 oclock and then rotating to 3 as you push it in.
Take a peek and let us know if you still got issues.

robdnor
10-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks Bawanna...
well i made sure that the pin was above the lock lever, instead of being under and pressing the lever up. I also checked the the little area of the catch where the bullets will sometimes push, it is a little tight... so that may be the problem.....

however, i was cleaning the gun tonight and when i cleaned the mags... strangely the extended (6rnd) mag spring was actually bent...i mean like from the top to the bottom seemed like the spring is turning sideways so when its no in the mag it isnt straight but kinda curved (not sure why since its brand new) .. i then went straight to check my extended mk9 mag... no such bend... no such bend on the mk9 flush fits either, or the pm40 flush fits... just this 1 extended mag... i was wondering are everyone elses mag springs straight (i kinda think my mag's spring is screwed up)?

could it be this spring... yea i know i sound like im in denial... i just wanna eliminate any other possiblity before i go and either sand down the tip of the lever, or call kahr (im kinda weary of sanding cause im not sure i trust myself not to over do, even going slow)

i just cant understand why else this would be the only mag to continually lock back the slide... with my 2 5rnd mags working w/out a single failure throughout the 1st 300 rds put through the gun, and only the extended mag causing this lockback (but alot)

just thought id ask cause this seems to me like it could be the culprit,..... then again it may just be the way the mag is pushed when against my hand (kinda unlikely in my opinion though)

itll probably wind up with you bein righ bawanna.....BUT....
like i said, i just wanna eliminate any other possibility first

thanks
-rob

Bawanna
10-19-2010, 11:10 PM
You didn't mention that before. If it's just one mag misbehaving and the others work fine, then you more than likely have a mag issue. I don't see where the spring being curved would make a difference, it should straighten right out when it's in the tube but maybe. Could more likely be a bad follower. A call to Kahr might net a replacement mag for you without too much difficulty.

robdnor
11-02-2010, 12:05 PM
okay, just an update...
concerning my 6rd extended mag, i talked to a guy at kahr service and he said that it could be caused by alot of pressure being applied to the base of the mag from my bottom fingers pressing in hard, he said this could cause jams to occur and possibly the lock backs...
well thats what he said, and that the bent spring should be no issue as it wouldn't be able to really bend in the mag, like youd said bawanna..
however, i did have one of my flush mags break a follower. He was extremely attentive and professional (listened to all i had to say) and said another follower would be mailed to me shortly.

so, this far i must say not only do i love my Kahrs,and think they are beautiful and reliable. Now I just have to compliment their service department as well !!