PDA

View Full Version : handgun safe

garyb
09-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Anyone have any positive input on a good, secure, compact handgun safe for vehicle which can be secured to the seat by cable? Thank you.

kwilly
09-30-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm currently using a GunVault MicroVault for my pistol. Very happy with it. Comes with a steel cable that you can choose to use or not. It's large enough for two pistols-- they have a smaller version called the NanoVault that might be more what you're looking for. There are different versions of the Micro depending on whether you want key entry, fingertip buttons or fingerprint. www.gunvault.com (http://www.gunvault.com). FYI, I found very good pricing at Amazon.

garyb
09-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks Kwilly. I have read mixed reviews on a number of safes on the market but seemed to have concurred with your opinion on this particular model and manufacturer (Nano). It would be nice to have one in each vehicle and one by my bedside for those times that my handgun is not on me. Appreciate your reply. Tx.

OldLincoln
09-30-2010, 02:28 PM
I suggest the 200 model and get all you think you will need at one time with them keyed alike. I got mine 1 at a time and need to get them re-keyed, if possible.

jlottmc
09-30-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm actually about to make a safe. A 9mm ammo can, some foam padding on the inside, and a padlock setup on the front of it should do the trick. I have made 50 cal ammo cans lockable, and they are all durable. When I get it done and do a T&E I'll report back.

garyb
10-01-2010, 06:48 AM
Great idea jlottmc! I'll be interested to hear how much you spent on it vs a marketed lock box. Thanks.

Mudinyeri
10-01-2010, 09:34 AM
I use GunVault Nano's in my vehicles.

garyb
10-01-2010, 12:21 PM
I found the GunVault Nano 200's on amazon.com for under $17 each, so I ordered 3. One for each vehicle and one to be moved between my RV and my bedroom. They are all keyed, but I may take them to locksmith to see if they can be rekeyed the same; OR I may leave a key on my vehicle key chain and it won't really matter. I understand the key is an issue for fast bedside acquisition, but I can leave a key in it at night and it is as simple as the turn of the key to gain access. I can remove it if I am securing it when guests are present or if for some reason I am leaving the gun at home during the day. Also have a large vault. Turning a key seems just as fast as combination lock, maybe faster. Creates lots of options for me.

cybertek
10-22-2010, 05:20 AM
I have a few of the keyed safes from Center of Mass and they are very nice.

Center Of Mass Central (http://www.center-of-mass.com/)

erice303
10-22-2010, 09:22 AM
my suggestion is a Ft Knox hand gun safe. it is HEAVY, and does not need any electricity to work. it also has an amazing warranty (unlike GunVault). This one actually has some level of criminal proofness. Where the GunVault really is just child proof.

The only problem is that it might be a bit big for your car