PDA

View Full Version : Brand New MK9- Mag Follower

Texan29
10-02-2010, 10:54 AM
I just got an brand new Kahr MK9. I was practicing with it at home working the springs and loading / unloading the mags.

I noticed something wrong with my MK9 6 round mag. When I unload the 6 round mag after 3 rounds, the follower catches on the mag catch and will not go up anymore, it allows the remaining 3 rounds to flip around and rattle in the mag with no pressure.

Is this a common occurrence with the MK9 mags? Should I call Kahr and ask for a replacement?

Your advice is appreciated.

wyntrout
10-02-2010, 11:44 AM
The 9mm magazines seem more prone to this problem... especially the extended grip 7-round one for my PM9.
I take my mags apart and sand the followers a bit, with a bit more attention to the whole side that comes in contact with the magazine catch. I also switched to the Wolff +5% magazine springs. I try to de-burr the slot as well.
I've take the bare magazine tube and inserted it and watched the catch engage the slot, and it does seem to protrude too much into the interior of the tube, possibly impeding the follower and/or the spring.
I removed some metal from the central portion of my P380 catch... "scalloping" it, but not removing too much bearing surface that would cause reliability
problems. You could try that and see if it helps as well. Mag catches aren't terribly expensive, so having a spare part on hand doesn't cost that much. Just don't try to remove too much at one time.
The mag catch body is relatively cheap at $12.10 + $6 bucks shipping, so get whatever you might need up to $50 and save on shipping. Over $50 it goes up to $8.
The mag catch is not hard to remove and a little trickier to install with a small flat screwdriver. I used a right angled pick to get the spring out of its slot, but a screwdriver is needed to hold the spring up out of the way so the catch can be reinserted. A head lamp or third hand is helpful. :D Look over the catch body while its out and notice the retaining slot for the spring. Make sure you get the end of the spring back into place after the catch body is in place. A screwdriver notched on one side would help hold that end of the spring out of the way, 'cause it gets frustrating trying to do that with a flat blade and only two hands.:D

Wynn:)

bayoutrigger
10-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Speaking of mag followers, I've had a couple where the lower part has broken off. Not sure how this happens. When shooting or perhaps when dropping mag during a reload exercise. Anyway, the mag follower seems to be some sort of polymer. I guess it's plastic to save weight. The part that makes contact is metal molded into the follower. Too bad there is not a metal mag follower for purchase.