PDA

View Full Version : Crack at bottom of MK40 frame

zeitgeist
10-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi all-

After reading these threads at GlockTalk:
Headed Back to Kahr - MK9 Frame Crack in Magwell w/Pics - Glock Talk (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1068714)
Cracked MK 40 - Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1015758)

Does anyone else have a crack on their MK? I just looked on mine and I do too.

I'm going to contact Kahr about sending it back - I really don't want to have to pay to go threw an FFL though.

Cappy
10-18-2009, 09:44 AM
That is a real bummer!!! Keep us posted how it goes, and whether Kahr replaces the gun for you.

johnh
10-31-2009, 08:55 AM
Right now gun makers are still dealing with the giant backlog of orders due to the election panic buying. I know Kahr was flooded along with anyone else making semi-auto firearms. I am sure they will get you fixed up as quickly as they can.

John

jocko
10-31-2009, 06:48 PM
u will have to rerigester it with a ffl as it will come with different serial numbers. I doubt if kahr will even send the gun back directly to you and might state that you need to get tham a ffl to send it to. I know it is an inconvenice but they have told me that they by law just cannot restamp a new gun with your serial number and destroy the original. the original number has to go with the gun all the way to the end. Makes no sense to me why they cannot just restamp your original number and send it back to you but I was just told that a week ago by a kahr insider who said it is federal law. Who knows why it is taiking 2 weeks to get yor a new frame etc. They may indeed be job vendoring this maching operation out also. I like you thought that all kahrs were made in house, except the polymer guns which is definitely a vendor made product...

I was told awhile back that they were looking at outside vendors to do some of thier work as they could not keep up with production so I would think John H is dead on in that assumption..
And I have seen other photos of MK40 with cracked frames down by the grip area right inside the mag well. Have not seen it on any other kahrs except the MK40 for some reason.. Is this gun new???Or could it be possably 4 or 5 years in age when maybe this issue arose and now you just got caught in the quagmire of owning one??

jocko
11-04-2009, 12:07 PM
If I have to pay an FFL fee after paying for the fee to overnight a gun I am going to be rather irritated.

Maybe you have a ffl friend who will not charge u. You should have had kahr issue a pickup on ur MK40, they would have done that
. Their are others way of sending back yoiur kahr to besides paying ripp off UPS an over night fee. That is there rule, not federal law.

I know of many many guns send back to a gun company in a box bigger than a gun looking box to and no insignia such as Kahr Arms but something like K. A and the address and UPS never questions it. I have been prepared many times if asked by them to just say a broekn high speed hole punch. If they don' t want to accept that, just take the package to another UPS store. I have shipped guns back for around $8. I realize over night is very very expensive..

jocko
11-06-2009, 05:57 AM
questioj: was this a new gun when u bought it??? or used etc.. if it was used do you know how old it might be even.. There was a rash of MK40 that cracked in the lower part of the frame by the bottom of the mag well but I think it was awhile back--hopefully. Nice gun, a shame you got this problem.

zeitgeist
11-21-2009, 12:38 PM
The gun was 'born' in October 2007.

I called Kahr today and was told the new frame is being made on the Nov 30th and it will need to be shipped back to an FFL. I'm not too excited about having to pay the $30-$40 FFL fee.

Furthermore, they received it on October 14th, so the turn-around isn't exactly quick. I hope they include some extras - maybe a hat and a Kahr bumper sticker, anything - I should not have to pay an FFL because of their manufacture issues.

jocko
12-01-2009, 03:03 PM
probably ought to peddle it when it gets back as it seems u will not be pleased with it.