PDA

View Full Version : CM9 revisited!

Skyscratcher88
09-18-2024, 09:22 PM
Random thoughts CM/PM9!

I probably havenÂ’t fired my CM9 in over 3 years and at that time only @150 rds of FMJ if i remember correctly. The gun sat in my safe and not a speck of rust. The last couple weeks IÂ’ve had it out 2x firing 50rds Blazer Brass FMJ and finishing with 2x 6+1 Hornady 124XTPs (expensive!) anyway it has been 100% even with my 20yo daughter putting a couple magazines through just learning to shoot pistols.

I had a hanging steel target setup 6” diameter at 20’ and I shoot this better than my Hellcat. I’ve always been tempted to buy a PM9 and being a lurker on this forum off and on for years know the pistols. It looks like the PM9s (silver slide) are only available new at 1 or two online retailers and no LGS have them.

Maybe itÂ’s a good time to pick one up before Kahr quits making them? I did pick up a PM40 a couple years back when GAG was selling them for $260ish!!! I think of it as a 007 kinda gun very sophisticated looking IMO of course the PM9 and CM9 to less discerning looks exactly like it. I havenÂ’t fired the PM40 and donÂ’t think I will itÂ’s just in my collection..but it is tempting! I donÂ’t like that Kahr now has put the serial number on the grip (why???) and maybe will look for a older well loved PM9 without the grip SN.

i Am going to order a front NS for the CM9 and another 2x6rd magazines. One IÂ’ll experiment with maguts +1 and the other with a wolf +10% spring along with lakeline aluminum follower. It seems that both these options have a good track record.

Skyscratcher88
09-19-2024, 08:51 PM
Today I was passing a LGS that has a Preowned section and on a whim decided to take a look. I stopped in this store several times over the year never seeing a Kahr…A 2006 PM9 $425 sat in the display case!!! I function checked it and although a bit dirty from a dried oil substance decided to snap it up making a deal for $425 (dealer pay taxes) out the door. I brought it home and spent a couple hours cleaning/polishing her up. It is magnificent now and added to my Kahr collection. I don’t think the gun has even been fired except the test casing included in the case. This PM9 has the blunt nose which looks really good. It included the 6 and 7rd magazines. I plan on taking them apart and cleaning them. The outside was “tacky” so I imagine the inside is also.

Bawanna
09-19-2024, 09:37 PM
Probably a good sign it was never fired also. When new they are usually tacky. Never know how long they sit in transit or distributors.

dao
09-20-2024, 07:56 AM
The inside of the mags are likely even more "tacky". You should strip them as well. Good find, congrats!

Skyscratcher88
09-20-2024, 07:56 PM
I decided to add a set of night-sights onto my blunt nose PM9. Perusing through the forums it looks like Kahr changed the dovetail angles in the newer non-bluntnose PMs. I’m not exactly sure what I need to be looking for or if anyone make modern new sights for this. Any guidance where/what to look for appreciated!

dao
09-20-2024, 08:03 PM
Call Kahr with the SN. They changed over to the new dovetails in Nov. 2004. And given that yours is a blunt nose, it could predate that. I added a new set to my Elite 2000, which was made in Dec. 2000, so old dovetails. I used Meprolight ML15109G. Not sure if they're still making them, but I put them on in Jan. 2020. I think I bought them about a year before that.

Skyscratcher88
09-23-2024, 08:22 PM
Thanks Dao!

today I took the CM9 to the range. 50 Blazer 124 FMJ and 21 Hornady 124gr XTP. I changed my grip a bit to use only the last third of trigger finger. Accuracy improved considerably. I am shooting 7yards @21’ from target. I was hitting low and left about 6” away from aim point (but adjusting for it in aim) the end of finger cut that in half.

After cleaning the CM9 I field stripped the PM9 again and recleaned it using Hornady OneShot. I ran out so I was using Ezzoxx in the last couple weeks. The CM9 now has @325 rounds through it and @200 hand racks the RSA has become much easier to manipulate the slide and strip compared to the PM9. I’m thinking the PM9 was never fired because it’s a bear to takedown. I’ll figure something out for NS if only adding the front one leaving rear as is.

I am considering the CM9 broken in and suitable for confident self defense now! I was using a remora for pocket but decided to try IWB so ordered a FastGunman leather/clip holster for 3:30 IWB. I have to say for $25 it is very well made. The CM9 looks like it was built for this holster, very elegant looking with a touch of old west.

2 6rd mags and 2 Lakeline Followers are next up so it will be fun testing those out over the coming weeks. If they works well I’ll switch out my known good one also.

I appreciate all the knowledge garnered from this forum. I’ve reread the last 24 pages and keep picking up some great info.

Road Runner
09-25-2024, 06:41 PM
Awesome! Enjoying my CM9!
Random thoughts CM/PM9!

I probably havenÂ’t fired my CM9 in over 3 years and at that time only @150 rds of FMJ if i remember correctly. The gun sat in my safe and not a speck of rust. The last couple weeks IÂ’ve had it out 2x firing 50rds Blazer Brass FMJ and finishing with 2x 6+1 Hornady 124XTPs (expensive!) anyway it has been 100% even with my 20yo daughter putting a couple magazines through just learning to shoot pistols.

I had a hanging steel target setup 6” diameter at 20’ and I shoot this better than my Hellcat. I’ve always been tempted to buy a PM9 and being a lurker on this forum off and on for years know the pistols. It looks like the PM9s (silver slide) are only available new at 1 or two online retailers and no LGS have them.

Maybe itÂ’s a good time to pick one up before Kahr quits making them? I did pick up a PM40 a couple years back when GAG was selling them for $260ish!!! I think of it as a 007 kinda gun very sophisticated looking IMO of course the PM9 and CM9 to less discerning looks exactly like it. I havenÂ’t fired the PM40 and donÂ’t think I will itÂ’s just in my collection..but it is tempting! I donÂ’t like that Kahr now has put the serial number on the grip (why???) and maybe will look for a older well loved PM9 without the grip SN.

i Am going to order a front NS for the CM9 and another 2x6rd magazines. One IÂ’ll experiment with maguts +1 and the other with a wolf +10% spring along with lakeline aluminum follower. It seems that both these options have a good track record.

Road Runner
09-25-2024, 06:44 PM
Great find!
Today I was passing a LGS that has a Preowned section and on a whim decided to take a look. I stopped in this store several times over the year never seeing a Kahr…A 2006 PM9 $425 sat in the display case!!! I function checked it and although a bit dirty from a dried oil substance decided to snap it up making a deal for $425 (dealer pay taxes) out the door. I brought it home and spent a couple hours cleaning/polishing her up. It is magnificent now and added to my Kahr collection. I don’t think the gun has even been fired except the test casing included in the case. This PM9 has the blunt nose which looks really good. It included the 6 and 7rd magazines. I plan on taking them apart and cleaning them. The outside was “tacky” so I imagine the inside is also.