PDA

View Full Version : High Polish Aluminum

Barth
09-30-2024, 10:06 AM
Hi folks,
Although not sure, I'm looking at a gun that I feel may have an aluminum frame and has been mirror polished.
Are there any problems associated with doing that to an aluminum frame?
Or issues with high polish in general vs a matte finish?
Thanks, Barth :)

https://assets.gunbroker.com/pics/1067512000/1067512645/pix555490622.jpg

Bawanna
09-30-2024, 10:59 AM
If that's aluminum, they did a heck of a nice job polishing it. Where's Bird when we need him? I'm unaware of any negatives to polishing other than fear of finger prints or being too pretty to carry.
If you pass, I'll take it if I can gather up enough loot which sadly is unlikely.

That checkering sure looks metal or alloy to me but pictures can be deceiving. She will buck a bit if it's aluminum or alloy.

dao
09-30-2024, 11:17 AM
I would call Sig Barth, they'd know for sure. I gotta say that is one good looking gun. I'd buy it just on principle if it was in front of me.

JohnR
09-30-2024, 11:38 AM
Depends on its exposure to the elements. Aluminum aircraft skins are often polished, but you have to keep polishing them as oxidation comes back. The alloys guns are made from may be different.

Barth
09-30-2024, 11:57 AM
Depends on its exposure to the elements. Aluminum aircraft skins are often polished, but you have to keep polishing them as oxidation comes back. The alloys guns are made from may be different.

This is the kind of stuff I'm reading that bothers me about it ...
"The finish on the aluminum frames is anodizing. If you take it off by sanding or blasting it off then there is no protection for the aluminum and body fluids and other things can stain the finish. You can only re-anodize the frame 1 time as more than that will alter the dimensions of the frame because anodizing actually uses up some of the aluminum."

Bawanna
09-30-2024, 02:39 PM
It certainly could be but I seriously doubt those issues would effect gun especially like that one. You'll wipe it down once in a while and it won't be exposed to rain or moisture, only hand oils. It's so pretty I'd probably have a hard time carrying it, cept maybe on Sunday go to meetin or BBQ's.

Barth
09-30-2024, 03:43 PM
It certainly could be but I seriously doubt those issues would effect gun especially like that one. You'll wipe it down once in a while and it won't be exposed to rain or moisture, only hand oils. It's so pretty I'd probably have a hard time carrying it, cept maybe on Sunday go to meetin or BBQ's.

I'm 99% certain the sub-compact is an Ultra with an alloy frame.
They have what looks like a Compact Carry with the same treatment.
This one may or may not be alloy.
I've asked the seller for these details on both weapons, but no response so far.
The smaller one just looks so cool :cool:
If it is an alloy Ultra, at 28 oz it's likely going to kick like a Missouri mule - LOL!

https://assets.gunbroker.com/pics/1067513000/1067513358/pix223903275.jpg

Bawanna
09-30-2024, 04:47 PM
I'd bet they are both alloy, aluminum just wouldn't hold up. I'm not sure what alloy really is, maybe aluminum in it but other stuff to toughen it up.

I must be doing something wrong, I don't see any high polished 1911's on Sigs site.

Barth
09-30-2024, 05:01 PM
I'd bet they are both alloy, aluminum just wouldn't hold up. I'm not sure what alloy really is, maybe aluminum in it but other stuff to toughen it up.

I must be doing something wrong, I don't see any high polished 1911's on Sigs site.

Me neither.
I don't believe they are factory high polished guns.
After market high polish with custom grips.
The listings are far from descriptive about the exact models or specific details about the guns.
They both look way "too good to be true" and are not horrifically expensive.
Somethings just not right :confused:

Plus, I asked about the frames last night and its been nothing but radio silence ...

jeepster09
10-01-2024, 08:49 AM
I would think looking at them they are stainless steel.....could be wrong but ????

kenemoore
10-01-2024, 08:54 AM
I used to own a SIG CCO 1911. It was an alloy frame, but only came in a black finish. Like others, I suspect those are SS.

Barth
10-01-2024, 09:42 AM
I would think looking at them they are stainless steel.....could be wrong but ????

Looking at them yes.
I really feel the small one must be an Ultra.
And I can't find any information that those are anything but alloy framed guns.
More research on my part this morning is that the larger one is a Nightmare Carry model that is indeed all stainless steel.

I'm finding mixed reviews on the Ultra, and it seems to be discontinued anyway.
The Nighmare Carry guns are still in production and have more favorable reviews.
But I've found some really negative reviews of that gun as well :(
Guess if you look hard enough you can find issues with just about any gun.

Bottom line my SS Dan Wesson V-Bob, although without the the shiny bling effect,
seems to be of higher quality.

It's been bombproof (V-Bob) and a real tack driver for me.
Think I'm spoiled at this point - LOL!
Decided I'm going to pass on these guns.
Thanks to everyone for your input! :)

dao
10-01-2024, 10:53 AM
There's also the external extractor on those two Sigs. And, they won't fit in some 1911 holsters because of the lack of a radius on the top of the slide. Pretty guns though.

AJBert
10-02-2024, 04:59 PM
For some reason, I'm thinking nickle plated. Does anyone still do that? It was pretty popular back in the day.

Barth
10-02-2024, 05:19 PM
For some reason, I'm thinking nickle plated. Does anyone still do that? It was pretty popular back in the day.

I personally love electroless nickel plating on a gun.
We used to have ROBAR out here in AZ.
Had them do my LCP II and they did an outstanding job.
Unfortunately, they have gone out of business :(
https://i.imgur.com/7DHok5A.jpg?1

berettabone
10-03-2024, 12:09 PM
Looking at them yes.
I really feel the small one must be an Ultra.
And I can't find any information that those are anything but alloy framed guns.
More research on my part this morning is that the larger one is a Nightmare Carry model that is indeed all stainless steel.

I'm finding mixed reviews on the Ultra, and it seems to be discontinued anyway.
The Nighmare Carry guns are still in production and have more favorable reviews.
But I've found some really negative reviews of that gun as well :(
Guess if you look hard enough you can find issues with just about any gun.

Bottom line my SS Dan Wesson V-Bob, although without the the shiny bling effect,
seems to be of higher quality.

It's been bombproof (V-Bob) and a real tack driver for me.
Think I'm spoiled at this point - LOL!
Decided I'm going to pass on these guns.
Thanks to everyone for your input! :) You could get one of those beautiful Springfield V-10's on GB.:)