PDA

View Full Version : Farfetched??

500KV
10-14-2009, 02:45 PM
As seen on one of the gun boards:
This guy is obviously a .45 fan, and nothing wrong with that, but what about the following statement?
Someone enlighten me about the "sonic boom" thing.
Off to get my tinfoil..:confused:

Evan Marshal rates the .45 as a better one shot stop over the 9mm, for comparable rounds.

"The 9mm leaves the barrel faster than the speed of sound, this creates a sonic boom, and causes the bullet to be more unstable in flight. The .45 starts out subsonic, and can be easily silenced. In addition the .45 has more then 50% more surface area, some say this is small, however I disagree."

Dietrich
10-14-2009, 06:31 PM
From what i read on the internet,the speed of sound is roughly 1125 fps. That is about 768mph. Not all 9mm loads travel this fast but I`m with you on the tinfoil thing. What was the point he was trying to make? Wait a minute,I think I hear the Mothership.Bye for now.

zena
10-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Tell me when it's safe to take my tin-foil beany off. :behindsofa:

ltxi
10-14-2009, 07:50 PM
I can follow the logic. Other than the subsonic = more much easily silenced bit, it's of course totally flawed as a practical matter, but I do understand it.

500KV
10-15-2009, 04:54 AM
This is the part that had me reaching for the tinfoil.

"The 9mm leaves the barrel faster than the speed of sound, this creates a sonic boom, and causes the bullet to be more unstable in flight."

If the bullet was more unstable in flight, the result would be either poor accuracy or a tumbler, neither of which happens; at least with my 9mm's.

This internet info. never ceases to amaze me.

ripley16
10-15-2009, 07:00 AM
The Fast= Unstable staement is wrong. When bullets slow they become unstable. This is especially seen in long range rifle shooting.

The rest of the statement is pretty much accurate. IMO both rounds are effective.

Dozer
10-15-2009, 07:05 AM
Any time an object crosses the sound barrier, and a sonic boom occurs, there is more turbulence in the air and potentially less stability of flight characteristics. In the case of a bullet, I would find it very hard to measure the effect of the added turbulence. I think it would be negligible in most cases. You could say that just because there was increased turbulence, that there has to be increased instability. Just in this case, it wouldn't make any difference. If it did, you would see inaccuracy and square holes from tumbling.

ltxi
10-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Any time an object crosses the sound barrier, and a sonic boom occurs, there is more turbulence in the air and potentially less stability of flight characteristics. In the case of a bullet, I would find it very hard to measure the effect of the added turbulence. I think it would be negligible in most cases. You could say that just because there was increased turbulence, that there has to be increased instability. Just in this case, it wouldn't make any difference. It it did, you would see inaccuracy and square holes from tumbling.

exactly......

tv_racin_fan
10-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Actually it has been proven many times that a bullet that crosses the sound barrier is indeed a bit less stable and therefore less accurate. IT is however a very small amount of buffeting and most people will not see the effect at the range. It isn't enough to cause a bullet to tumble unless said bullet is at the limit of stability in the first place.

DustyJacket
10-24-2009, 03:10 PM
That instability happens when the bullet slows from supersonic to subsonic. You are talking a distance away from the shooter. Not within self defense ranges.

The transsonic stage as it acceleterates is when it is still in the barrel, hence no instability.

bayoutrigger
10-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Sonic or sub-sonic has nothing to do with hearing a gun fire

paul0660
10-24-2009, 06:48 PM
That instability happens when the bullet slows from supersonic to subsonic.

This is right. Otherwise, there would only be subsonic sniper rounds, which certainly isn't true. Most sniper casualties didn't hear the shot until after they were hit, if at all.